General Handling as official F1 series

Here's a little quote of an Interview with Lando Norris:

F1 2019 is ‘too much like an arcade game’ which is why real-world drivers prefer rival titles such as iRacing, according to Lando Norris.

Speaking to viewers on social media yesterday, Norris compared F1 2019 with iRacing and other popular motorsport games. He said the official F1 licence and popular PlayStation series Gran Turismo are “too much like arcade games.

"You don’t drive them anything like you do a real car,” Norris explained.

“iRacing is more like a simulation programme so you have better feedback through the wheel, it feels more realistic, basically. It’s more like a simulator in terms of how it feels through the wheel, the set-up changes and stuff.

“Whereas F1, Gran Turismo – especially Gran Turismo, Gran Turismo is terrible, it feels nothing like a car, you just slide everywhere. It’s rubbish because of that, that’s why no one does it.”

Norris, a prolific simracer, is one of just six F1 drivers who entered the official Virtual Grand Prix series which was launched this year. However technical problems thwarted his effort to compete in both events, and during the latter he removed the game from his system.

He did so after broadcasting a conversation with Max Verstappen, who criticised the official F1 game series, and has not joined the Virtual Grands Prix.

The game’s handling is “why Max doesn’t play”, said Norris, “because it’s nothing like an actual car. Whereas iRacing is a little bit like an actual car.”

“Would I recommend F1 games to serious racers?” he added, “No, iRacing or rFactor.” However Norris is due to return to F1 2019 to take part in the Race for the World series to raise money for the pandemic relief effort today.

So if i would be codemasters and read something like this, i would try to bring the people the closest reality of being a f1 driver. This is what it is Always in the commercial and press releases. But therefore and as the official f1 game and esport game its not worth it as this if you read something like this. 

Just one little note there. Official esport should be forced to drive in Cockpit view. I dont get why people drive with the tv pod. Yeah you See more true but for esport a 3 screen Setup should be no Problem and then u dont have this Problem. It's So riddiculous that u are faster with the tv pod. There should be an option to force Cockpit view. 

But anyways i hope that this Arcade Thing will change in the future. I read so many posts here who are Always about the handling, the Arcade and so on.... 

And Yeah i know that its for All Kind of players and its okay. But therefore there are the assists. You can play with them if the "sim Mode" is too hard. But that would be a game change, if the official f1 game bringst "really" the closest experience to be a Real f1 driver (oh Yeah and laser scanned tracks would be great) 

Hopefully All this get to the devs and they overthink the concept of the actual f1 series🙂

Edited by Exodium
make clear what the Interview is
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

In an ideal world, instead of each team expensively jerryrigging some old ugly sim like RFactor for their own purposes, they'd all come together under the guiding hand of FOM/Liberty/Whatever to create a shared sim base with CodeMasters (or a competent racing game developer of your choice if you don't think they're up to the task) so everyone can save money using the same laserscanned tracks and a heavily configurable/extensible physics/handling engine that that can scale from proprietary realtime airflow simulation and controlling million dollar simulators all the way down to running on a console with a gamepad.

I really think it could be done and would save millions while creating a better game for us, But it won't happen.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

The only way this would happen would be if Codies allowed complete overhaul mods. There ARE mods available but they can only change superficial assets like drivers, and other liveries and basic car performance data as far as I know.

• Like 1

Sadly true... Another Thing is the ERS as i mentioned so often before and surly just add a virtual mirror as every other racing game. With that its just easy to force Cockpit view

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, RaceMyZaru said:

In an ideal world, instead of each team expensively jerryrigging some old ugly sim like RFactor for their own purposes, they'd all come together under the guiding hand of FOM/Liberty/Whatever to create a shared sim base with CodeMasters (or a competent racing game developer of your choice if you don't think they're up to the task) so everyone can save money using the same laserscanned tracks and a heavily configurable/extensible physics/handling engine that that can scale from proprietary realtime airflow simulation and controlling million dollar simulators all the way down to running on a console with a gamepad.

I really think it could be done and would save millions while creating a better game for us, But it won't happen.

The weird thing is they could have saved millions for themselves if it already existed. For example, if they had an F1 2020 sim edition, they could have raced the actual F1 season already for the tracks they missed in reality. Top teams would be at a disadvantage, but teams could have been scaled based on last testing and everyone given equal rig.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, thatsfine said:

The weird thing is they could have saved millions for themselves if it already existed. For example, if they had an F1 2020 sim edition, they could have raced the actual F1 season already for the tracks they missed in reality. Top teams would be at a disadvantage, but teams could have been scaled based on last testing and everyone given equal rig.

I don't think any team aside from happy outliers like Racing Point would have agreed to virtual performance scaling based on testing. If not for ego then for optics (sponsors).

I'm wondering. What's wrong with bringing the movement of the car closer to reality in and of itself? There are a variety of assists available for those who find driving difficult.

Does that mean you can't control it with your current assist when it's close to a real car? Or, do many people find it more fun to be arcade?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, lovely99 said:

I'm wondering. What's wrong with bringing the movement of the car closer to reality in and of itself? There are a variety of assists available for those who find driving difficult.

Does that mean you can't control it with your current assist when it's close to a real car? Or, do many people find it more fun to be arcade?

To be honest, from a racing fans standpoint, there is nothing wrong with a more realistic approach towards sims, as the more realistic = the better, and true racing fans would want the most realistic experience possible at all times. But, from a gamers standpoint, i believe it's the fact that people want:

A) A more "pick up and play" type of game. Casuals don't care about realism. They just want to have fun and will buy the game as long as it is giving them this enjoyment.

B) Fairness in racing difficulty. If there was a more realistic handling and physics model for Codemasters F1 franchise, those running assists and or pads, would no longer be able to compete against no assists or racing wheel drivers. Thus, destroying any purpose of existing mixed up leagues. (Just look at any proper sim, assists are useless there and pad drivers are usually at a huge disadvantage).

Casuals are the bigger demographic in the gaming branche, they far outnumber any sim enthusiast out there. Codemasters would not get anything in return from trying to spend a lot of money to make the game more sim, as long as minimal effort and maximum profit is the ultimate goal of this company. Sadly this seems to be the reality of modern gaming in general:

Shareholders / "Suits" Interests > Quality

It is how it is. Quite unfortunate.

• Agree 2

Guys, this franchise will transform in a 100% arcade gameplay i the near future.. I don't blame codies, i understand it's business. It is getting worst year after year. It's very sad because it could have been a game for both casuals and pro gamers but they are really focusing on the arcade. I hope FOM will sell the rights also to other developers, so codies would focus on the casual gamers and another developer could build a proper f1 simulator.
You know what? I don't even care about FOM, let's just hope some developer will build a game based on open wheel racing. Without FOM would be amazing, PROPER DAMAGE PHYSICS, red flags ecc.. 

After 8 years, I will not buy the new f1 title this year BTW.

• Agree 1

Interesting in the other thread this forum of peoples top 5 racing games, F1 2019 is listed in every post on that thread by people here, so they are doing something right 

Edited by TomAAA
  • Disagree 1

10 minutes ago, TomAAA said:

Interesting in the other thread this forum of peoples top 5 racing games, F1 2019 is listed in every post on that thread by people here, so they are doing something right 

Maybe because they do something Right. The Environment is good, but the physics and car handling not that great. In General the whole car behaviour, include all Things like ffb, handling, ers and so on (as i said no laser scanned track also not that cool...)

In theory the game could be one of the Best racing sim out there... But just in theory atm

Edited by Exodium

I agree, but for example laser scanned tracks ( I also want them) but would 99% of people who play the game even notice and would that be a wise expenditure. I loaded up PCars 2 which has laser scanned Barcelona and got an F1 fan and race game friend to drive it, then got him to drive Barcelona in F1 2019 and asked him what the differences where between the tracks he couldn't tell

Edited by TomAAA

another point btw is the short shifting thing shift into lower gear just for faster turning into corner. you never would do something like this in real f1. i think it would blow the engine btw but codemasters should fix this and prevent this absolute unrealistic behaviour

Edited by Exodium