Want to report an issue? Have a bug to report? Please look here first!!!! Read more... ×
Scheduled Updates and BETA Shutdown - 06/07/2020 Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

[PC] Push To Talk not working in F1 2019

My headset's microphone tends to be super-sensitive, so I always use PTT for voice-chats in games. (Yes, I could buy a new microphone, that would be one solution.) When I played my first multiplayer race in F1 2019, I didn't have PTT activated and saw in the top-right of the screen that my microphone was transmitting audio to the game sometimes. (In another race, some other player also had an open mic and we could hear him breathe and stuff all the time - quite annoying.)

So, I've configured my settings to use PTT and chose a PTT key. However, when I press that PTT key, I don't see myself transmitting in the top-right corner of the screen, because the game doesn't seem to be recording my microphone. MFA works btw, so the game does recognize my microphone (and it also did as open mic).

What am I missing here? Oh, and I've already tried different keys for PTT, but that didn't make any difference.

30 minutes ago, EyTschej said:

My headset's microphone tends to be super-sensitive, so I always use PTT for voice-chats in games. (Yes, I could buy a new microphone, that would be one solution.) When I played my first multiplayer race in F1 2019, I didn't have PTT activated and saw in the top-right of the screen that my microphone was transmitting audio to the game sometimes. (In another race, some other player also had an open mic and we could hear him breathe and stuff all the time - quite annoying.)

So, I've configured my settings to use PTT and chose a PTT key. However, when I press that PTT key, I don't see myself transmitting in the top-right corner of the screen, because the game doesn't seem to be recording my microphone. MFA works btw, so the game does recognize my microphone (and it also did as open mic).

What am I missing here? Oh, and I've already tried different keys for PTT, but that didn't make any difference.

Check the Steam voice chat settings. Also select a default device in Windows (record (comms) and playback). Select the actual device rather than the default. Sometimes it is better to disable devices that are not used. You may also want to play with the mic boost and in the Windows sound settings you may wish to set the Communications option to 'Do nothing'.

You may also want to try a dedicated chat program like Discord. Hope these suggestions help.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for your reply. However, as I thought I had explained in my post, the issue was not with my microphone, but with the PTT mode/key. It appears that the "speech indicator" in the top-right of the screen only appears in this game when you press the PTT key AND actually say something at the same time. So that's already the solution to this issue, just wanted to let everyone know who also ran into this supposed issue. Usually, when you have PTT and a speech indicator, the indicator lights up as soon as you hit the PTT key, or at least that's what I'm used to from other games/tools - and that caused my confusion. Sorry about that.

Just one thing though: Why does this game not include a microphone test so we can configure the volume levels of both voice-chat input and output?!? Some players can barely be heard and I have no idea if other players can hear me, because no-one responded to me so far. 😉

6 minutes ago, EyTschej said:

Thanks for your reply. However, as I thought I had explained in my post, the issue was not with my microphone, but with the PTT mode/key. It appears that the "speech indicator" in the top-right of the screen only appears in this game when you press the PTT key AND actually say something at the same time. So that's already the solution to this issue, just wanted to let everyone know who also ran into this supposed issue. Usually, when you have PTT and a speech indicator, the indicator lights up as soon as you hit the PTT key, or at least that's what I'm used to from other games/tools - and that caused my confusion. Sorry about that.

Just one thing though: Why does this game not include a microphone test so we can configure the volume levels of both voice-chat input and output?!? Some players can barely be heard and I have no idea if other players can hear me, because no-one responded to me so far. 😉

Some players have the lobby muted but not their own mic. Sometimes this is purely through ignorance, can be webcams or just updating drivers can change the default source.

Steam voice chat leaves a lot to be desired. I would prefer if the game had an option to turn the bandwidth off entirely, because you can use a dedicated chat server instead. Those who stay muted and deaf anyway could use the bandwidth for their connection to the other players (slight or negligible though it may be).

As far as in-game goes I have the PTT enabled and no key mapped. I always mute the lobby as soon as I join a MP session.

Anyway, maybe the speech indicator is only registering because otherwise those on open mic would be showing all the time, making it harder to distinguish who is actually speaking.