Scheduled Updates and BETA Shutdown - 06/07/2020 Read more... ×
F1 2020 | KNOWN KEY ISSUES | READ ME!!! Read more... ×

Codemasters sim or Arcade?

CODEMASTERS WHAT THE CUSTOMER WANTS.   

111 members have voted

1. 1. YOU WANT F1 GAME TO BE SIM, ARCADE OR SIMCADE YOUR CHOICE! 😊

I can tell you this:

If there's ever a version of F1 beeing released which has stable and good designed online lobbies Ranked split in assists and unranked much more oversight than the trash it is now, and the handling model is sooo good that even all the CURRENT F1 drivers are impressed, I don't care if it costs me 100 bucks. Hell I would even pay 200 bucks. But looking at what they're building again, i can save my money🤣

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, CarlosSantos87 said:

For me happened much worst mate.. My Safety rating had worst because of "Morrons" (stupid destruction derby guys) Who After beeing overtaked by you they smashes and crashes against you with all their strenght.. The final result:you crash, you damage your car and had a Penalty because the colision!! How that can be possible?? Its unaceptable this s**t 

Welcome to Hell. It's called F1 2019 broken penalty system where YOU get penalized as the victim of dumbasses. 

just keep an eye on your bloodpressure mate, has been for years this way, and same as safety car, guess will take another 20 years to fix.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, CarlosSantos87 said:

For me happened much worst mate.. My Safety rating had worst because of "Morrons" (stupid destruction derby guys) Who After beeing overtaked by you they smashes and crashes against you with all their strenght.. The final result:you crash, you damage your car and had a Penalty because the colision!! How that can be possible?? Its unaceptable this s**t 

I honestly do not know how they designed the penalty system so poorly its beyond ridicilous for an official game.

Glad the real drivers are homing in on this now the game needs an overhaul.

Lee Mather does my head ib every year its like he does not play the game he talks about.

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, senna94f1 said:

F12019 was more of a sim than arcade upto patch 1.04 .

You're joking right?

There's no way they patched out advanced simulation code to make it more arcade.

They adjusted parameters of their handling model, they didn't make it more or less complex in any significant way. 

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, AlexTT said:

Welcome to Hell. It's called F1 2019 broken penalty system where YOU get penalized as the victim of dumbasses. 

just keep an eye on your bloodpressure mate, has been for years this way, and same as safety car, guess will take another 20 years to fix.

Unfortunelly its the rule here mate.. But its sad you know? Its unaceptable things like that.. I am loosing the interest and the pleasure on this game 

4 minutes ago, RaceMyZaru said:

You're joking right?

There's no way they patched out advanced simulation code to make it more arcade.

They adjusted parameters of their handling model, they didn't make it more or less complex in any significant way. 

Why they Don t take in the handling model of Assetto Corsa and adapt /put in the F1 game? With an option that can be choosed by the players.. Like handling Type for example : normal (Codemasters) or simulation (Assetto Corsa).. Its so difficult After saying that 10000 Times and After myself had saw other People here asking and saying the same thing.. The Assetto its the great example of a realistic handling model and gameplay behavior /sensation 

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, CarlosSantos87 said:

Why they Don t take in the handling model of Assetto Corsa and adapt /put in the F1 game? With an option that can be choosed by the players.. Like handling Type for example : normal (Codemasters) or simulation (Assetto Corsa).. Its so difficult After saying that 10000 Times and After myself had saw other People here asking and saying the same thing.. The Assetto its the great example of a realistic handling model and gameplay behavior /sensation 

A handling model and physics engine is not something you can just "take" or implement that easily, it's the core of the game engine and its code, with tons of calculations going on for everything from suspension travel, to tyre friction, track rubber and downforce levels.

The EGO engine F1 uses works completely different, if they want an advanced handling model similar to Assetto Corsa, they'd have to start from scratch on a new game engine that's designed for that purpose and allows the complex physics and sim traits, or have to use one of the sim's engines as a base and build a new F1 game around that (Looking at you, F1 2021 on next-gen...) 

Edited by Worntoathread
  • Agree 2

Does anyone really feel proper grip with the tyres in 2019 I really cant feel when I am on that knife edge compared to AC.

Worrying thing is I have not even tweakes ffb or set ups in AC yet and I find the default great.

Really suffer with one lap pace on f1 had lots of spinning but raising the throttle linearity to 20% has atleast helped this almost feels like cheating though!

29 minutes ago, CarlosSantos87 said:

... because Assetto Corsa is a different game series by a different company with their own handling model that is the main pillar of their business model?

Even if they bought the studio like they did with SMS, you can't just slap a complex handling model into a game engine that was worked on for so many years. (EGO)

Not to mention that you'd have a hard time simulating now 22 complex cars at the same time on current gen consoles. Read up on Assetto Corsa's performance on consoles and the car limit of 16. There is of course no technical excuse anymore once the F1 games go fully next-gen, but for now it'd be pretty much impossible to go for something that complex.

• Agree 2

Well I haven’t been on this forum for 2 weeks, very surprised to comeback on this morning and found all these comments on my post wow I’m amazed and pleased to see how my post become a great topic between arcade and sim.

I use to race in 125cc gear shift karts when I was younger. I wanted to climb the ladder in motorsports. Unfortunately I was hit by health problem which took me out of racing.

So I decided racing on computer was next best thing for me, even tho I ain’t great at it but I enjoy all types of racing. 

When I race on console or PC I want that experience of what it’s like to race a car the handling the sound. So far for me only thing that’s come close to what I look for is project cars 2. I haven’t tried IRacing yet but heard great things about it. Dirt rally 2.0 is brilliant and also WRC 8 but only project cars 2 is close to what I look for. 

I’ve played all the F1 games from Codemasters but still ain’t good like Microprose GP2 and EASports f1. The ERS changing it every corner on every lap isn’t real. It’s what I think annoying and can’t focus on my driving. In league racing it’s not about driving it’s about ERS. I think it sucks. They brought it out again in F1 2020 and for first time ever I won’t be buying. 

Im looking forward to Project cars 3 and hope it won’t be arcade like F1 also looking forward to asserto Corsa coming out in July! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

@Hill0 it has prompted a good discussion seems most people here feel the game lacks what people expect and its defiently well behind other games.

Its definetly the car feel its very much like the tryes are not connected to the tarmac.

I have PC2 but do not think their main formula options feel great but I do love the Formula renault and the GT cars its a step up on feel compared to codies but AC is anotother step better than PC2.

What I do not get with codies aswell is setups are virtually unchanged since 2011 which would be fine but it doesnt change much for me.

I lovehow in PC2 I can tell the engineer how the car feels and they reccommemd a change why does the pinnacle of motorsport not have this.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

I hope Codemasters reads the comments, don’t think they do. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Hill0 said:

Its my biggest hope too 🙏🙏🙏🙏

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Hill0 said:

Well I haven’t been on this forum for 2 weeks, very surprised to comeback on this morning and found all these comments on my post wow I’m amazed and pleased to see how my post become a great topic between arcade and sim.

I use to race in 125cc gear shift karts when I was younger. I wanted to climb the ladder in motorsports. Unfortunately I was hit by health problem which took me out of racing.

So I decided racing on computer was next best thing for me, even tho I ain’t great at it but I enjoy all types of racing. 

When I race on console or PC I want that experience of what it’s like to race a car the handling the sound. So far for me only thing that’s come close to what I look for is project cars 2. I haven’t tried IRacing yet but heard great things about it. Dirt rally 2.0 is brilliant and also WRC 8 but only project cars 2 is close to what I look for. 

I’ve played all the F1 games from Codemasters but still ain’t good like Microprose GP2 and EASports f1. The ERS changing it every corner on every lap isn’t real. It’s what I think annoying and can’t focus on my driving. In league racing it’s not about driving it’s about ERS. I think it sucks. They brought it out again in F1 2020 and for first time ever I won’t be buying. 

Im looking forward to Project cars 3 and hope it won’t be arcade like F1 also looking forward to asserto Corsa coming out in July! 

The Games above that you have talked / said mate are great too.. I like so much Project Cars 2 aswell but you should try the Assetto Corsa.. Its another big step forward 

And the GP2 GP3 and GP4 

F1 Challenge 99/02.. Great Games.. Old times well spended.. I had played them for years and years 

Edited by CarlosSantos87
Finishing my post to stay completed

3 hours ago, RaceMyZaru said:

... because Assetto Corsa is a different game series by a different company with their own handling model that is the main pillar of their business model?

Even if they bought the studio like they did with SMS, you can't just slap a complex handling model into a game engine that was worked on for so many years. (EGO)

Not to mention that you'd have a hard time simulating now 22 complex cars at the same time on current gen consoles. Read up on Assetto Corsa's performance on consoles and the car limit of 16. There is of course no technical excuse anymore once the F1 games go fully next-gen, but for now it'd be pretty much impossible to go for something that complex.

Mate i agree with you.. In One point you have reason.. But i can tell you a story.. I was a big big player of Rfactor 1 i had spent hours and hours on the game.. Someday i wake UP and i had an idea.. I am a noobie in programing But i know a little things so i start mixing with physics.. I changed them changed the values when that value enters and when another starts etc etc etc.. I had done a little programing and i had changed alone a little the Gameplay of the game.. I was able to improve the DRS effect on that mod i was tikering (some of 2012 F1 Season) and i had put more turbulance as well in the car behind etc etc.. Changed the cams positions the angles the zoom.. Until some Day with a help of One friend we together start build a authentic engine sound.. And voila 😃😃 the game After 3 months more or less stayed absoulutelly different.. Conclusion: spent much more years playing and always with pleusure.. So? Can give work its True.. But its perfectly achievable

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AdamFreeman said:

@Hill0 it has prompted a good discussion seems most people here feel the game lacks what people expect and its defiently well behind other games.

Its definetly the car feel its very much like the tryes are not connected to the tarmac.

I have PC2 but do not think their main formula options feel great but I do love the Formula renault and the GT cars its a step up on feel compared to codies but AC is anotother step better than PC2.

What I do not get with codies aswell is setups are virtually unchanged since 2011 which would be fine but it doesnt change much for me.

I lovehow in PC2 I can tell the engineer how the car feels and they reccommemd a change why does the pinnacle of motorsport not have this.

The codemasters f1 games are really poor when compared to the sims often quoted in this thread. I haven't bought a new version of the F1 game since 15 but buy my "evaluation copy" second hand a year down the line. Sure there have been improvements, but nothing noteworthy enough to convince me to buy them at launch.

Codemasters have a great opportunity to listen and create a more "driving simulation" focused game with the next gen of consoles around the corner. For once consoles will not have the big CPU deficient compared to PC, and seeing as they will have to write a new engine, SMS under the company umbrella, there is no excuse not to have more realistic physics, tyre model and set up model. I don't think it will alienate the casual player, there already is a whole load of assists available, in my opinion all they will do is appeal more sim oriented player as well. The comments of the F1 drivers about the game says all you need to know about the games accuracy in terms of physics, they treat the game as a bit of fun at best, at worst a bad joke. Codemasters will either silence the dissent through the FIA/FOM or step up and improve the game. Sadly I think the former is more likely!

50 minutes ago, Hill0 said:

Sadly history has proved that whilst they may hear (read) they certainly don't listen. All the legacy bugs and issues that still plague the game are a real turn off, especially as they won't even officially acknowledge the shortcomings. SMS were open, honest, and did their best in the support lifecycle of PC1 and 2, codemasters could learn a lot from them!

I sit firmly on the fence, codemasters have to listen and improve the driving experience significantly for me to put coin in their pockets for the game. Only time will tell but maybe by 2022 they will have a product I can be excited about. I hope they can produce but sadly have my reservations.

Come on codemasters, prove me wrong and produce the game all those who have commented here want...

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ChasteWand said:

The codemasters f1 games are really poor when compared to the sims often quoted in this thread. I haven't bought a new version of the F1 game since 15 but buy my "evaluation copy" second hand a year down the line. Sure there have been improvements, but nothing noteworthy enough to convince me to buy them at launch.

Codemasters have a great opportunity to listen and create a more "driving simulation" focused game with the next gen of consoles around the corner. For once consoles will not have the big CPU deficient compared to PC, and seeing as they will have to write a new engine, SMS under the company umbrella, there is no excuse not to have more realistic physics, tyre model and set up model. I don't think it will alienate the casual player, there already is a whole load of assists available, in my opinion all they will do is appeal more sim oriented player as well. The comments of the F1 drivers about the game says all you need to know about the games accuracy in terms of physics, they treat the game as a bit of fun at best, at worst a bad joke. Codemasters will either silence the dissent through the FIA/FOM or step up and improve the game. Sadly I think the former is more likely!

Sadly history has proved that whilst they may hear (read) they certainly don't listen. All the legacy bugs and issues that still plague the game are a real turn off, especially as they won't even officially acknowledge the shortcomings. SMS were open, honest, and did their best in the support lifecycle of PC1 and 2, codemasters could learn a lot from them!

I sit firmly on the fence, codemasters have to listen and improve the driving experience significantly for me to put coin in their pockets for the game. Only time will tell but maybe by 2022 they will have a product I can be excited about. I hope they can produce but sadly have my reservations.

Come on codemasters, prove me wrong and produce the game all those who have commented here want...

The most important thing i think its that Codemasters have the Official game Licence of F1.. So if they have it why they Don t do the most driving sensation realistic what means driving a F1 car?? If the others had done that in a shortest time and limited resources?? Don t exists any explanation about unless they are failing absoulutelly and we gamers /lovers of F1 After trying others sims we starting to get tired and desapointed with them.. Simply like that.. Anything more than that 💯💯

Right I only have some things to point out!

6 hours ago, CarlosSantos87 said:

i am a greateast Fan of Codemasters

Even though the message has an 'a' in it, I don't think there can be multiple people that are the greatest, so I shall fight you for that title! 😁 

13 minutes ago, CarlosSantos87 said:

The most important thing i think its that Codemasters have the Official game Licence of F1.. So if they have it why they Don t do the most driving sensation realistic what means driving a F1 car?? If the others had done that in a shortest time and limited resources?? Don t exists any explanation about unless they are failing absoulutelly and we gamers /lovers of F1 After trying others sims we starting to get tired and desapointed with them.. Simply like that.. Anything more than that 💯💯

Like other licensed sports games, Codemasters are aiming for that anyone could play the game. No matter the skill level. While simulators are obviously significantly ahead of Codies in terms of physics, they often lack any kind of gameplay features that more casual people would care about.

All sports games tend to have the same complaints on how the developers make it "for the casuals" and demand changes etc. Then when those changes are done, another group comes and complains how the game is now too difficult and broken. This is just to remind that although you may have 10 out of 10 people agreeing with you on the forums, it definitely doesn't mean that everyone will share your opinion 🙂 

• Agree 2

The above is annoyingly true theres no other game I can drive an f1 car (all be it pooer replica than games mentioned) and compete for an F1 championship. 

However I am getting close to my limit with the series now I have played the other titles and really enjoy the driving although not played iracing yet! At some point the inferior driving experiene will drive me away even if I do not get to play an F1 career.

• Like 2

If anyone has a Assetto Corsa like ffb set up please post just had an hour driving the Lotus Etos around silverstone was really really enjoyable stuff i want that feeling from the F1 game!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UP100 said:

Right I only have some things to point out!

Even though the message has an 'a' in it, I don't think there can be multiple people that are the greatest, so I shall fight you for that title! 😁 

Like other licensed sports games, Codemasters are aiming for that anyone could play the game. No matter the skill level. While simulators are obviously significantly ahead of Codies in terms of physics, they often lack any kind of gameplay features that more casual people would care about.

All sports games tend to have the same complaints on how the developers make it "for the casuals" and demand changes etc. Then when those changes are done, another group comes and complains how the game is now too difficult and broken. This is just to remind that although you may have 10 out of 10 people agreeing with you on the forums, it definitely doesn't mean that everyone will share your opinion 🙂 

I am not saying that Codemasters are desgusting or weakness no.. Fairway from that.. I am only saying that the knowdlegde that they have the power they have.. The reputation and the ability too the resources everything else that an huge Company have Codemasters have aswell.. Compared against others that doesn t have and look for what they done!!! Gameplay is amazing engine sounds are great too in the Assetto Corsa.. So i think its timing to Codemasters making a F1 game inspired in the another game (gameplay only i am saying) and put all the amazing stuff they have already all together and 85 % of the F1 fans maybe more certainly stays delighted and fully happier with.. If Codemasters are able to do a F1 Simulation for sure they will make the greateast F1 game ever.. I Don t doubt it 

1 hour ago, AdamFreeman said:

If anyone has a Assetto Corsa like ffb set up please post just had an hour driving the Lotus Etos around silverstone was really really enjoyable stuff i want that feeling from the F1 game!

Mate you have a channel of an friend of mine i think he have the ffb config for the Assetto Corsa.. Search in YouTube.. His name channel is "Rafabin" he is a Brazilian nice guy and he makes all reviews of configs about ffb in the Racing motorsport Games 

3 hours ago, CarlosSantos87 said:

That is probably also a question for F1 management as well - why do they want their official game to be not realistic? Will that really appeal to fans? Will that really help people understand and engage in the sport better? 

Pretty sure the ffb is better on TCam that cockpit just done a few laps on Tcam and felt more in the wheel than on cockpit view 😤

4 minutes ago, AdamFreeman said:

Pretty sure the ffb is better on TCam that cockpit just done a few laps on Tcam and felt more in the wheel than on cockpit view 😤

In some wheels mate you have to put less strenght sinal of ffb.. Because if their are too strong they could "Hide" a little the global others effects.. I advice you trying on the minimal and lap After lap raise from 5 in 5 values.. But i think your issue is in the "gain" option of ffb