List your 5 most recent enjoyed racing games

Posted (edited)

In order to encourage at least one thread where there is no Codies-bashing involved I'd be interested to hear what other forum members' favorite recent games are. Just list the most recent 5 racing games you have played and enjoyed and the system you played them on. NOT your fave 5 of all  time just the most recent. I'm not asking for mini reviews although a one line comment on what you liked about each would be interesting. If you started a game and soon after quit it then don't list it, I'm just interested in games you played for a fairly long time and considered worth your time. I also don't care how sim like or arcade they are or even if you race on the ground or off it, as long as you enjoyed the challenge!

To kick this off here are my most recent 5 (no particular order ) :

Project Cars 2 PC - I love the variety of cars and tracks and especially getting deep into tuning. PC version definitely superior than ps4 version graphically, speed wise and better leaderboards. This version has separate boards for each car not just class.

F1 2018 PC - My first F1 game for over a decade I actually did full length races in. Cars just felt fun to drive.

Wipeout Omega PS4  - basically 3 great remastered games in one package - contained most of the tracks I had played in previous games and exhilarating tracks that rewarded practice. Zone mode is an adrenaline rush exclusive to the series.

Project Cars PS4 - this I am listing twice as I played the PS4 and pc versions a year apart with other games in between. Plus of course I actually PAID twice for the game which must mean something! This was the first version I played and it got me so heavily into tuning I created my first forum tune threads and a series of YouTube videos demonstrating them.

F1 2017 PS4 - My first F1 game since the early ps2 versions. I loved the speed and simplicity of tuning. Although I do LOVE to tune I felt an F1 driver should be concentrating more on actual racing which is definitely the case here. I recall running career mode for 5 seasons on 25% distance which I felt was very well balanced at the time.

Of all these Wipeout and Project Cars are the only games I still play regularly. The F1 games were definitely worth a lot of my time but the career mode is something I would only do once whereas the outer 2 games have infinite pick up and play value imo.

Well that's it, I managed to briefly talk about 5 games (4 if you prefer!) without being negative. After all I got my money's worth out of all of them so I can't really have any serious complaints. Suggestions for improvement are for another topic this time!

EDIT : To reiterate what I said earlier these were NOT the only racing games I purchased and played recently. There were 2 others I purchased and played enough to know they were not for me or had serious problems.

Edited by sloppysmusic
Added info on unlisted games
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

Great games @sloppysmusic, WipeOut is always worth the time. Me personally, i like to boot F-Zero on N64 and NGC as well. Futuristic racers are fantastic.

My 5 recent racing games that i played were:

Assetto Corsa (PC) - Was driving the new 2020 and 2021 RSS car models, quite the blast. 2020 RSS is very close to AC's official 2017 Ferrari car model in terms of handling, but it has much more downforce and grip. 2021 car though was driving like a mix of 2016 and 2017 cars, imo.

rFactor 1 (PC) - Was doing some hotlaps in the 1999 McLaren around old Hockenheim. Want to master that track for once. Difficult to get the traction down.

Project Cars 2 (PS4) - Was doing some multiplayer with a few friends of mine. Touring Car only, around Le Mans. 

Mickeys Speedway (N64) - Some local splitscreen with the family. Nintendo 64 still rocks!

F1 2019 (XBone / PS4 / PC) - Am mostly driving on the PC version, due to modding. Still, the vanilla version on consoles ain't too bad.

Edited by TheEmpireWasRight
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

All on Xbox One

F1 2019 - I'm playing it at the moment. Probably my favourite F1 game. IMO the AI are the best they've been in a Codemasters game. 

Dirt Rally 2.0 - no matter how frustrating it can be, it's a brilliant game. 

Dirt Rally - ditto. I prefer it to DR 2.0.

Project Cars 2 - brilliant selection of tracks and cars. Seems to get the mixture of being fun and challenging just right.

Forza Horizon 2 - brilliant open world in a great location. Good choice of cars and things to do. 

• Like 2

@TheEmpireWasRight
I have been sooooo close to buying Assetto (the original not the gt3 only game as I don't like gt3!) on several occasions. The only thing stopping me was the intense long tuning sessions I did in pc 2. I just KNOW I'd be doing the same all over again! I still might get it next time it's on sale. It's always a crazy price for what they give you! Thanks for the info I'd never heard of Mickeys Speedway which is why I wanted to start the thread. Does the N64 scale well on a 4k TV? Could be a fun buy as I like me some classic arcade games.

@WestHam66 I actually have Dirt Rally 2 purchased (PS plus counts I guess) but haven't played it yet as am so busy with other games. Be interesting to see if I'd be able to have long term fun with it as I didn't with the first (oops that was a giveaway!)

I've watched people stream Forza it does look like a blast. Just can't justify another console as well as my ps4 /pc combo. Would get it if it was allowed on PC.... Corporate policy yuk!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sloppysmusic said:

Does the N64 scale well on a 4k TV? Could be a fun buy as I like me some classic arcade games.

Not sure, i do not own a 4k screen yet, am planning on getting a OLED TV though. I suppose that the old consoles very likely will be very blurry on it. Tried to hook up the N64 on my 1080p screen once, and it was extremely blurry, it also had washed off colors and the darks were too light.

Thankfully, i did not get rid of my CRT screens from SONY, and imo that is the only way to play classics:

Classic consoles + CRT screen = Perfection 

(Forgot to mention F1 1997 on PS1 in my previous post.)

Posted (edited)

E: AAAAH, IT'S THE LIGHT BLUE INVASION

Technically this would be off-topic stuff but no one goes there except the guys who don't do anything else on these forums! ...if anyone is alive, please check it out... We have lost almost all old off-topic guys for some reason 😥 We have a game thread and a stuff thread in which we used to talk about things.

• ONRUSH
    I didn't know I would have so much fun with this! Overall just fun game with very little downtime and beautiful graphics! The game even automatically starts searching for a new ranked match after the last one finished, so it's an endless loop really 😁

• F1 2019
    There is that league that I quite like 😉 

• Euro Truck Simulator 2
    I shall consider this racing. Loads of fun to play with friends. I get bored quite quickly on singleplayer though...

• rFactor 2
    The racing game I've put most hours into. My profile page has the horrible statistics of my "Sim Racing" career. I was getting up to speed after my last 6 month break but then Barry got me to race for Ferrari 😛 
    https://steamcommunity.com/id/vanerinux

Those Historic F3s though ❤️ 
    f3.thumb.jpg.c5461bf9342238d4edcdf7aeabc5845b.jpg

• BONUS: F1 2011
    Always installed on my PC. I want to play it but my wheel is in such state that I probably shouldn't. Me and my eternal love for F1 2011.

Edited by UP100
  • Like 1

All of mine aer on PC but I'd say the last 3 F1 games in 2017 18 and 19 but I would probabl yadd NFS Heat t othat list as well. As whilst Hea tisn' texactly a full on sim exactl ymoer like a polic dodgenms kind of game but I found EA's latest NFS a lot of fun as it has a lot of cars and customisation and their pretty nice looking cars as well.

• Like 2

Thread is now featured 😎

3 minutes ago, UP100 said:

E: AAAAH, IT'S THE LIGHT BLUE INVASION

Technically this would be off-topic stuff but no one goes there except the guys who don't do anything else on these forums! ...if anyone is alive, please check it out... We have lost almost all old off-topic guys for some reason 😥 We have a game thread and a stuff thread in which we used to talk about things.

• ONRUSH
    I didn't know I would have so much fun with this! Overall just fun game with very little downtime and beautiful graphics! The game even automatically starts searching for a new ranked match after the last one finished, so it's an endless loop really 😁

• F1 2019
    There is that league that I quite like 😉 

• Euro Truck Simulator 2
    I shall consider this racing. Loads of fun to play with friends. I get bored quite quickly on singleplayer though...

• rFactor 2
    The racing game I've put most hours into. My profile page has the horrible statistics of my "Sim Racing" career. I was getting up to speed after my last 6 month break but then Barry got me to race for Ferrari 😛 
    https://steamcommunity.com/id/vanerinux

Those Historic F3s though ❤️ 
    f3.thumb.jpg.c5461bf9342238d4edcdf7aeabc5845b.jpg

• BONUS: F1 2011
    Always installed on my PC. I want to play it but my wheel is in such state that I probably shouldn't. Me and my eternal love for F1 2011.

Yeah was tempted t ostart a nwe career on 2011 but will probably wait till I've finished one of the 2017-19 ones first that I have on the go before I consider revisiting one of my classics

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
  • F1 2019: Well...it´s the F1 game I put most hours into(over 300), started "real" league racing in this game after a short league at the end of F1 2018. Drove around 50 league races in there and counting(the forum championship is additional to that number). Just a good step forward from 2018..

• Assetto Corsa Competizione: Really good game in the GT3 section, also the first game I got into GT3 League racing. The weather, the 24h cycle, it´s just great!

• Project Cars 2: Many nice cars and a good track selection

• Assetto Corsa: The modders really did/do a great job there making the game much more fun than only driving the "normal" content. Especially mods like Sol or the current Formula 1/2/3 cars are enjoyable.

• The Crew 2: Just an enjoyable arcade open world game in which you can drive cars, boats or whatever/fly planes fast - really fast. It´s a great game to relax.

Edited by S4lty
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, UP100 said:

Euro Truck Simulator 2
I shall consider this racing.

I shall allow it lol because speed is of the essence. You're not just driving around slowly looking at scenery. Making good time is a major part of the game. You're racing against the clock not that far from rally stages! I have that game too I just wish it was larger scale as I love the real world I get in flight sims where you can fly around in a slow plane and almost do virtual tourism. Imagine a whole state like Colorado or on the other hand Scotland or Wales being available to explore!

I'm just hoping not to get GTA type games which CONTAIN mini races but are not the main theme! Like Mafia for example with its infamous racing level... 🙄😎

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, sjsharp2010 said:

Yeah was tempted t ostart a nwe career on 2011 but will probably wait till I've finished one of the 2017-19 ones first that I have on the go before I consider revisiting one of my classics

I'm so jealous you got it to run! I purchased it last year in a bundle with several old f1 games and I could not get any of them working. I'm an IT guy too think it was something to do with that horrific GFW nightmare. My pc is locked down to a 2 year old win 10 build and I won't install modern windows patches on it now it's working so great. Rfactor has interested me a lot too but isn't that the game with dubious purchase options? I didn't mention games last the last 5 because there would be too many and I wanted games I could see here and still go and buy now.

• Like 1

My 5 games are (PS4):

F12019 - It's the game I've played the most in my life considering that I was in the beta and the new version will come out in July: probably the best offline experience against the AI

Project Cars 1: I loved the first iteration, sadly the second was the biggest disappointment in my gaming life (still can't understand why they changed the FFB so much for PC2)

Assetto Corsa: my favorite racing game of all time. I've not played it as much as I should have but to simplify the game they released the console version without the AI difficulty slider (in the majority of cases I ended up being between two levels and it ruins the offline experience). They won't do the same for ACC and I expect it to be the greatest racing game of all time (even if it's limited in terms of cars and classes)

Dirtt Rally 1: Great game, ahead of time. It was also VR compatible for PS4 which was great

F12017: As said I'm obsessed with the AI and the offline experience. It was the first F1 game to include the difficulty slider and the one who brought me back to F1 sim racing

• Agree 2

Posted (edited)

Havn't had a PC capable of playing games for around 10 years so I'll have to stick to consoles. Not to say I haven't experienced Assetto Corsa/ACC, PC1/2,  AMS and rfactor2 on my mates PC. Waiting for the Intel gen 10 chips to drop before I rejoin the master race and abandon consoles...

So on xbox, the games featuring racing I put the most time into:

Project Cars 2

Project Cars 1

GTA V, online crash fests and stitch ups, so much fun, even though it's contentious in this list!

Forza 3, old now I know but the best in the forza series for me.

Burnout series on the xbox 360

And just in case I'm not allowed GTA V, Dirt 1.

Edited by ChasteWand
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, ChasteWand said:

And just in case I'm not allowed GTA V, Dirt 1.

No you're not allowed GTAV ! 😛

Unless I guess you loved the racing in it so much that you ONLY played it for that reason so it became just a racer for you! I played both Pcars games too, just played a lot more since. Quite revealing that no-one has said GT Sport yet? I can't be negative in this thread so I can only say I quit playing it in vast preference to the others... 😄

34 minutes ago, sloppysmusic said:

No you're not allowed GTAV ! 😛

Unless I guess you loved the racing in it so much that you ONLY played it for that reason so it became just a racer for you! I played both Pcars games too, just played a lot more since. Quite revealing that no-one has said GT Sport yet? I can't be negative in this thread so I can only say I quit playing it in vast preference to the others... 😄

To be fair, it was the only reason I played GTA V online.

The racing in single player was awful and the rest of the online content was pretty boring. So to me, it was a fun online racer. 😋

24 minutes ago, ChasteWand said:

To be fair, it was the only reason I played GTA V online.

The racing in single player was awful and the rest of the online content was pretty boring. So to me, it was a fun online racer. 😋

I have to ask....was it clean racing online?

🤕

• Haha 1

You kidding me, it's a crash and stitch up fest. Your car takes damage - eventually, and there can be some spectacular crashes. That is the fun for me, no one takes it too seriously, and racing through the cityscape with random traffic adds to the challenge!

Only had a ps1 back in the day, Grand Turismo was pretty good for it's time but I spent more time in v-rally. Never had playstation since as xbox was the better online platform. Like Forza 7, GTS looks good, don't know how it plays though. The AI is quite poor in Forza 7 (rubber banding), at least for the first couple months after release. Haven't played it since, it was a free game with the xbox one x I got specifically for PC2. In my opinion, PC2 can't be beaten as a driving experience on console but the AI isn't great. AI is something codemasters actually does quite well in the F1 series compared to many other racing titles.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, sloppysmusic said:

I'm so jealous you got it to run! I purchased it last year in a bundle with several old f1 games and I could not get any of them working. I'm an IT guy too think it was something to do with that horrific GFW nightmare. My pc is locked down to a 2 year old win 10 build and I won't install modern windows patches on it now it's working so great. Rfactor has interested me a lot too but isn't that the game with dubious purchase options? I didn't mention games last the last 5 because there would be too many and I wanted games I could see here and still go and buy now.

There is a patch tha tallows you to override GFWL games on Windows 10 You need to inastall that and i tshould work I found it through Steams forums. I have it downloaded to one of my USB flashdrives so I don' thave to keep looking for it. Jus tinstall it when I want to play one of them.

Edited by sjsharp2010
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, sjsharp2010 said:

There is a patch tha tallows you to override GFWL games on Windows 10 You need to inastall that and i tshould work I found it through Steams forums.

I will take another look.. I might have already tried that unless it's very hard to find.. Nothing like trying to get a game working you've paid for but never played!!

@ChasteWand

sorry I was being mischievous when asking about the clean racing! As in its a fairly hot subject round here 🔥😁

Agreed about pcars ai as it's all over the place between races.. That aggression slider being included after it was taken out before release of first game is very useful though.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, sloppysmusic said:

sorry I was being mischievous when asking about the clean racing! As in its a fairly hot subject round here 🔥😁

Agreed about pcars ai as it's all over the place between races.. That aggression slider being included after it was taken out before release of first game is very useful though. 

No worries, GTA V is one of the few games where, I would say, the whole idea is to be as ruthless as possible and stitch opponents up at every opportunity! I wish the rammers would just go there for their fun and behave in a respectful/gentlemanly (gentlewomanly) way in the more serious racing titles. I can forgive the odd mistake, but some of the behaviour exhibited online is just ludicrous and makes me wonder why I even bother trying.

The AI in PC2 (don't remember it happening in PC1) can be all over the place in a single race. Many times I have scrapped my way to the lead only for the AI to get into god mode and suddenly every car can go 3 or more seconds a lap faster just because you hit the front. AI cars also exhibit the same sort of behaviour if they crash/get involved in an incident. They drive crazy fast (again 3 seconds or so faster than the leaders) then just drop back to a normal pace when they catch up and form a train. The AI was perhaps my biggest disappointment in those games. However, find the right car/track combo and it's wonderful. Let's hope they improve the AI for PC3...

When the PC is built I plan on getting AMS2, will be interesting to see what Reiza can do with the Madness engine.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, sloppysmusic said:

I will take another look.. I might have already tried that unless it's very hard to find.. Nothing like trying to get a game working you've paid for but never played!!

@ChasteWand

Yeah I was a little bit late upgrading t oWindows 10 myself because I was worried I wouldn't get to play games like F1 2010 again as whilst i twas the first F1 game I go tof Codies I thought they did a fantastic job with it and in fact it's still one of my favourite ones they've done. Though I'll admit I haven't played it for quite a while. It was quite some time ago as I found i tat the time I was transitioning from Windows 7 to 10 when I heard Windows 7' s support was stopping. I did consider setting up a dual boot in tha thaving both 7 and Windows 10 on my system to work around it but in the end I didn't need to as the patch works for me. Or ast leas tit did on my old system but then I've recently bought a new PC so that might change as I've not tested all my games on this machine yet. But given I've managed to ge tolder games like Mass Effect 1 going fine on i tI'm hopeful that F1 2010/11 won't be a problem assuming I stick with using that patch. I must admit though I'm looking forward to playing the F1 games again on my new system once I get them installed.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I'm a bit of a GFWL troubleshooting wizard at this point, so if you need the achievements or want to play multiplayer in an old GFWL game, send me a PM 😁

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, UP100 said:

I'm a bit of a GFWL troubleshooting wizard at this point, so if you need the achievements or want to play multiplayer in an old GFWL game, send me a PM 😁

You can count on it! 😎

Cool topic! I’ve played a lot of different racing games recently, including all CM titles. These are my 5 picks:

Project Cars 2, probably my most played racing game of this generation. And the oldest game on my list  

WRC 8, I found it to be the better rally game last year (for the first time). I hope they continue this with WRC 9.

MotoGP 19, if you like MotoGP, this is actually pretty good. Looking forward to MotoGP 20.

TT Isle of man 2, released just last month.  A very fun an definitely challenging racing game.  

And F1 2019, I know there are a lot of complaints about this title. It’s not perfect, but it’s still a pretty good racing game and it’s just a lot of fun, especially in a league with friends. Hopefully they’ll do a good job on F1 2020 (and don’t go crazy with the mtx, but that’s a whole different conversation)

• Thanks 1