Driver Perfomances F1 2019

Posted (edited)

Hello Guys!

I was thinking about the Driver skills, which are created by Codemasters in the actual Game.

After some Races with my mates in our online Season and in offline Career mode I am making more and more my own view of the different Driver skills. I don't talk about different driving style (this would be a good Feature for the future!), I talk about the Performance of every Driver.

I am asking myself (and now you) with which values Codemasters work to make differences between the Drivers. I mean it is obvious that for example Perez is quiet faster than Stroll. By the way i think that Perez is way overpowered. We recognized that Perez is often a serious challenge for the Topteams, especially for Red Bull.

I am interested in which way you would rank the Driver perfomances and how much difference in time you would see between the Drivers. It would be cool if the Driver perfomances would be seen in the game, maybe in values like it is in Fifa oder maybe in classes or words. Now we just notice different Driver perfomances but we cannot really compare them. By the way I am really missing statistic in the game like the camparison of the Drivers wins in Qualiying and Races. This should be an importend statistic for the Teams.

So what is your opinion of the Driver perfomances? How do you think are the Driver perfomances ranked in the game and how should they be? And how do you think should codemasters manage it in the future?

EDIT:

Now it is out! 

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.revealed-driver-ratings-in-codemasters-new-f1-2020-game.7qbRlGNR5glUO9aRORmaKf.html?fbclid=IwAR0pNSlRNixomF97GrPtq054Wt9avhjdD780lC9IfLu1ZLOAHBoD-240Lm8

We will get driver Ratings. Funny, that we talked about this Feature a few Weeks ago.

Great News!

How do you Think about this? Do you like the categorisions?

Edited by DonBlanko
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

There are definitely drivers with wrong values in 2019. Perez as you say is one being too strong. Ricciardo, Sainz and Hulk are all too weak compared to real.

I like that you bring up Fifa as I was thinking the same thing for the 2020 game. With the new "My Team" feature coming, I'm wondering how you'll choose your drivers. Will there be former drivers from recent games (Alonso, Rosberg, Hulk etc.)? F2 drivers? Fictional drivers (More Weber's and Butler's)? 

So what I hope is that there'll be a driver creation mode just like in Fifa where you can edit all the drivers and create your own drivers to add to the My Team and Career mode rotations. Want a maxed out Stroll? Go ahead. Want to create your own Alonso? Go ahead.

I personally think this is the best way to get the driver balance we believe is correct for real drivers as well as being able to fully customize what drivers we would like to see in My Team and Career modes.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Good idea! Your idea is even one step further than mine. You wrote about the development of a driver.  That would be great too! But I Think this won't be added in the next title. But I really would like to see variables or descriptions how the driver is rrated.They could do it in the same was they did with the cars. I mean the Performance of the cars is shown in different parts of the car, like chassis, engine  etc.

Those kind of classification for the drivers would be cool. Even when we cannot change it like in your idea. This could be categorisions like "Corner speed", "Overtake skills" , "brake skills" "rain skills" or something like that. I mean even now the driver are different good on the brake or in corner speeds. Codemasters just could use their different driver Performances and could Show them in diagrammes or variables like it is in the game. 

What do you Think?

• Like 1

Am i crazy or do the driver performances change throughout the career. I've done 7 seasons in one and 5 seasons in another and in both I've seen Verstappen become OP whilst drivers like Hamilton, Vettel and Raikkonen become mediocre

6 hours ago, DonBlanko said:

Good idea! Your idea is even one step further than mine. You wrote about the development of a driver.  That would be great too! But I Think this won't be added in the next title. But I really would like to see variables or descriptions how the driver is rrated.They could do it in the same was they did with the cars. I mean the Performance of the cars is shown in different parts of the car, like chassis, engine  etc.

Those kind of classification for the drivers would be cool. Even when we cannot change it like in your idea. This could be categorisions like "Corner speed", "Overtake skills" , "brake skills" "rain skills" or something like that. I mean even now the driver are different good on the brake or in corner speeds. Codemasters just could use their different driver Performances and could Show them in diagrammes or variables like it is in the game. 

What do you Think?

Yes I believe this would be a great addition. Several stats should be customizable for both created and the real drivers. I don't know how the stats are done in the 2019 files but I'd imagine there are several types that are rated between 0-100. One lap pace, overtaking, defending, tyre management, fuel management, long run pace, development ability, wet weather ability, aggression, consistency and control (higher stat meaning less mistakes) could all be stats to use.

Eg. One lap pace could see Hamilton set at 95 by default, Stroll at 70 etc. And if you like you could change them so Hamilton's stat is 80 instead. Would allow us to balance as we like instead of hoping CM get it right and we could create our own drivers and give them appropriate stats. So I'd create Alonso for example and set his stats to how I believe he would be.

As I mentioned, essentially the same as Fifa's edit mode and being able to use those players in the career modes.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, CameronB said:

Am i crazy or do the driver performances change throughout the career. I've done 7 seasons in one and 5 seasons in another and in both I've seen Verstappen become OP whilst drivers like Hamilton, Vettel and Raikkonen become mediocre

Hmm.. this would be cool but OP sounds not that good. 😄 I Think Verstappen and Perez (and sometimes Butler and Weber) are a bit overpowered Drivers in the Game. But I don't Think they can develop their Performances. I Think it depends on their cars.

16 hours ago, Liaveil said:

Yes I believe this would be a great addition. Several stats should be customizable for both created and the real drivers. I don't know how the stats are done in the 2019 files but I'd imagine there are several types that are rated between 0-100. One lap pace, overtaking, defending, tyre management, fuel management, long run pace, development ability, wet weather ability, aggression, consistency and control (higher stat meaning less mistakes) could all be stats to use.

Eg. One lap pace could see Hamilton set at 95 by default, Stroll at 70 etc. And if you like you could change them so Hamilton's stat is 80 instead. Would allow us to balance as we like instead of hoping CM get it right and we could create our own drivers and give them appropriate stats. So I'd create Alonso for example and set his stats to how I believe he would be.

As I mentioned, essentially the same as Fifa's edit mode and being able to use those players in the career modes.

Good ideas. I really would like to see your categorisions for the drivers. But this would require different driving lines and this is the first thing codemasters should add. Without Duells the AI drives always in a perfect Line. It would be much more realistic and immersive if they could use different driving lines. Even when those lines are just a little bit different.

• Like 1

Perhaps i am just imagining things but in season 5 Vettel and Hamilton do significantly worse than their young teammates 

20200424132645_1.jpg

20200424132646_1.jpg

• Like 1

On 4/22/2020 at 10:33 AM, DonBlanko said:

I mean it is obvious that for example Perez is quiet faster than Stroll. By the way i think that Perez is way overpowered. We recognized that Perez is often a serious challenge for the Topteams, especially for Red Bull.

I'm glad someone else thinks Perez is overpowered. I'm in the third season of my career and he's second in the standings. He also came third in season two. Racing Point have the best car, but Ricciardo isn't great. Hamilton and Vettel aren't particularly good either. Verstappen is pretty good though.

There needs to be a driver rating system in F1 2020, even if it's only in My Team. We need to see how good or bad a driver is before hiring them, especially if they're made up.

• Agree 1

I'd add:

-"Live Season Updates", as seen in FIFA, e.g. after every 3 real life races, Codemasters updates all the relevant values for us, as a service.

-"Editor Mode", for Car performance/ Team performance/ Driver performance, as seen in FIFA, to manually adjust these values ourselves from within the game, without having to mod any files externally.

Car performance values could consist of downforce, grip, tyre wear / heating, engine wear / heating, engine power, ers efficiency, ers wear, suspension flexibility etc.

Team performance values could consist of strategy accuracy, pitcrew proficiency, budget value in tessource points, strictness for expectations etc.

Driver performance values could consist of overall speed, speed in wet weather or changing conditions, overall consistency, consistency in wet weather or changing conditions, car management for tyre/ engine/ ers/ fuel, aggressiveness, overtaking and defending "Trickkiste" or trickbox in english for more dynamic racing lines, stamina, strength, cornering speed, throttle management or smoothness, braking management or smoothness, reflexes for better starts or to avoid contact with debris or crashed cars, spacial awareness, character e.g. some drivers being good at the start of the season and lose momentum quickly whilst others gradually get better as the season progresses etc.

Obviously, all of this would need a complete overhaul of how the game is being designed, and would take some serious amount of hours put into heavy work from Codemasters. I personally would expect maybe F1 2021 or F1 2022 to have such detailed and sophisticated features at the earliest time possible. But going from Codemasters trackrecord, we might never ever see this in their games at all.

Hopefully i'm wrong, and Codemasters got some great software in development for the launch of the new gen consoles.

Only time will tell.

• Agree 3

Posted (edited)
On 4/24/2020 at 7:47 PM, TheEmpireWasRight said:

Obviously, all of this would need a complete overhaul of how the game is being designed, and would take some serious amount of hours put into heavy work from Codemasters. I personally would expect maybe F1 2021 or F1 2022 to have such detailed and sophisticated features at the earliest time possible. But going from Codemasters trackrecord, we might never ever see this in their games at all.

Car performance values would be the easiest thing to implement, as it would just require numbers to be decided for each thing. There are bar charts in career mode for R&D so I don't see how it would be difficult for this to be put in place in other game modes. 

Driver performance values would need more work, as there would have to be a way of implementing it on track e.g. if an AI driver's overtaking rating is 80/100, how would that work when going wheel to wheel with a player? Obviously, the ratings that the player's driver would be redundant as the human player has full control (unlike on FIFA where a particular player's shooting ability should still have an effect on whether they'll score or not, even if the human player is really accurate). 

Player ratings systems have existed on all other sports games for decades, so I'm not sure why it's not been on recent F1 games. If Codemasters had implemented it from the start, they'd have ten years of knowledge and data to use.

Edited by WestHam66

Yes, I Think some kind of visible values should be implemented in the future Games. I mean they already have different driver performances, so why don't Show their specific values they already have in good graphics in the game? Even if they are not as complex as some of us wished for, but they could built on that! 

I´ve had this idea: 

Hamilton (94-100 fluctuable)

Pérez (88-98)

Stroll (85-94)

Not single number like now

•  

Posted (edited)

They should definitly use unspecific values. I mean, the question about Who is the best driver is the most discussed question in formula 1. It would be uncool if CM would answer this question with values like :

hamilton 94

vettel 90

albon 85 etc.

I Think the driver should have different values or parts. I Think everyone accepts that hamilton is one of the best, so he could be in Level 5 like alonso etc.

Level 4 could mean, great Talent, like hülkenberg, perez, etc.

Level 3 could mean solid driver, like gasly, magnussen etc.

Level 2 could mean Rookie, or less Talent driver 

Level 1 could mean Formula 2 driver.

The idea behind this is, that question about who is the best driver will not be answered finally. Because there is still some flexibility about the Performance in a Level itselfs. The best drivers are in Level 5. All of those are win-drivers with much experiences and Talent. But they also cost a lot Money. But we dont know Who is the best, because it stays unvisible. Thats the idea.

What do you Think?

Edited by DonBlanko

If you want ai sliders you're gonna need more than just one. Drivers don't just go faster or slower!

Pace

Consistency

Aggression

Sportsmanship

Inspiration

The last one inspiration would separate the good drivers from the great. The ability and willingness to try out an unusual or risky (to others!) manoever to get past an opponent. Sportsmanship might include pushing the limits of the track to the limits or maybe cutting a corner hoping nobody saw it or cared 😉 or even gently nudging your car. AI in most games is still robotic I'd love someone to develop and ai that made you wonder if it even WAS an ai driving that car. ("DID YOU SEEN WHAT THAT GUY DID?!)

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

Now it is out! 

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.revealed-driver-ratings-in-codemasters-new-f1-2020-game.7qbRlGNR5glUO9aRORmaKf.html?fbclid=IwAR0pNSlRNixomF97GrPtq054Wt9avhjdD780lC9IfLu1ZLOAHBoD-240Lm8

We will get driver Ratings. Funny, that we talked about this Feature a few Weeks ago.

Great News!

How do you Think about this? Do you like the categorisions?

Edited by DonBlanko

Posted (edited)

Interesting. This is great to see!

Hopefully they will give us an option to edit these stats as well like in Fifa if we feel that some of them are wrong. For example if they make Ricciardo as bad as last years game I'd be changing his stats immediately.

There's some hope though as it looks like they've finally nerfed Perez.

Edited by Liaveil

Unless we can edit it, I hate it.

You risk alienating fans of certain drivers with things like this. 

There was still something like this in f1 games, only hidden, so this is big upgrade and I'm quite sure it will be easily editable

54 minutes ago, JanKondler said:

There was still something like this in f1 games, only hidden, so this is big upgrade and I'm quite sure it will be easily editable

Hopefully. It needs to be an in game option though. Not everyone has access to mods.