Wheel Upgrade - How Far to Go??

I'm enjoying F1 2019 on a Thrustmaster T150 Pro wheel and pedals, to which I'll shortly do a brake pedal load cell mod.  And I'm probably going to get Assetto Corsa Competizione.  I'm know that the T150 is pretty entry level and may be limiting the experience.  Also that F1 2019 is limited in feel and realism etc, but it is still fun.

So, bearing in mind I'll try and get ACC, if I go for an upgraded wheel, how far up the ladder should I go?  I assume that just going to T300 is only 1 step and probably not worth it.  But TS-PC/Fanatec equivalent may be sufficient??  But should I go as far as DD etc??  Which I could do!!  I'm not yet into online racing, middle age+ reactions probably not sharp enough, but just want a good, realistic experience belting round a track.
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

The Thrustmaster TS-PC is an awesome wheel, has external power supply to prevent overheating etc. Has a range of add on rims and many people make add on rims also for it. I tried DD but I settled on the TS-PC as unless you go crazy with the FFB strength I couldn't feel an advantage over the TS-PC. The money you save compared to DD also buys you a seat, mount setup etc 

Edited by TomAAA

I had the T300 with F1 rim, but upgraded to the T-GT (equal to TS-PC i think) with the F1 rim and i am very happy with that. That is the best for me, as DD is too much money for only some F1 and other racing games.

Fanatec are too expansive.. Unless you have money to spend and you gain a wheel for years and years.. But in my opinion Thrustmaster its the Best option currently and are too very good quality products specially with F1 Rims add ons.. With a right Force Feedback config you Don t need anything more than that.. By the way "Assetto Corsa" are the bestest in Sim Handling in my opinion.. Great example how a smaller /limited company had made a huge game and so realistic feeling of be a racing driver 

• Agree 1

I just did a thread about wheels and if more expensive is worth the money and can help improve. I am really interested in the Thrustmaster TS-Pc equavilant for xbox but trying to work out what add ons to get , dont really want to spend more than £800 but not sure if it possible.

Thrustmaster is good bang for the buck. I had the T300 and f1 wheel but didn't love it. Haven't tried the TS-PC. I have been through all of them out there for Xbox and just upgraded to the Fanatec Podium with the F1 v2 wheel. For me it was a game changer! So much more detail coming through. Not cheap for sure but the build quality is very good. All metal no plastic and very solid. Quite the improvement for me anyway.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CindyLee said:

I have used the T300 and In my opinion It is worth the price IMO 

Its my favourite wheel by the way 😍.. Amazing precision and Force Feedback are great too!! 

Currently have the T300RS with the Ferrari F1 rim.

Seriously considering going for the direct drive Fanatec podium F1. It's ridiculously expensive, and I'd also need to buy CSL pedals. The fact that it's direct drive & has amazing build quality with a pretty real looking F1 rim make it very tempting. I really like that it's compatible with the PS4 and PC too. My PC has been a bit unstable recently, otherwise I wouldn't mind about the PS support too much.

However, it's so expensive and we're not sure about next gen support yet. With the PS5 on the way this year, I don't think I can justify the upgrade unless it's announced that it'll be PS5 compatible. I am not sure it'll make me any faster, but I'm pretty sure it will make me more consistent. The load cell brake pedal would do that. I suppose if you get the most accurate force feedback the game can give you via direct drive, it at least gives the  best chance of being faster, if nothing else.

It's not JUST about performance and faster lap times. A lot is about comfort, long term reliability and the 'feel'. By the feel I mean I love the feel of well engineered and built hardware. It helps to instill in the user that they are taking their hobby seriously. This leads to a better attitude when approaching any race session. It might be mostly in the mind here but the right mental attitude is vital in all competition. I mean if someone let's you try out their $3000 rig your not gonna be wanting to end up in the grass or the wall are you? You will be concentrating like never before to in effect EARN your place in that race seat.

Nothing in life is too expensive if you enjoy it. As long as you don't have expensive tastes just for the sake of it or to brag. That really IS dumb..

• Agree 1

The Podium/PS5 situation is getting really ridiculous. There's a special edition for PS4 and it could last less than 2 years. No updates yet. Really bad for both Sony and Fanatec. Currently I have the CSL Elite and I would buy the Podium today if it was guaranteed as PS5 compatibile.

The workaround would be changing the future plan and going from PS to Xbox.

Xbox products are already compatibile. It has been stated.

And i'm not the only one in this situation. Essentially Fanatec could lose a podium user that would be happy to buy today or either Sony could lose a future PS5 user.

I think Sony has to speak or decide quickly. If they cut the CSL and/or the Podium out of PS5, it would mean that the new Xbox is the console to buy for sim racers.

I'm actually scared. Having the TGT as the only compatibile wheel at launch would look bad and sound like "we're only here for Gran Turismo and its wheel".

I hope they have clear that GT alone is not enough...

I think even the average sim racer would say "**** Gran Turismo, i go with Microsoft"

• Agree 2

40 minutes ago, sirio994 said:

The Podium/PS5 situation is getting really ridiculous. There's a special edition for PS4 and it could last less than 2 years. No updates yet. Really bad for both Sony and Fanatec. Currently I have the CSL Elite and I would buy the Podium today if it was guaranteed as PS5 compatibile.

The workaround would be changing the future plan and going from PS to Xbox.

Xbox products are already compatibile. It has been stated.

And i'm not the only one in this situation. Essentially Fanatec could lose a podium user that would be happy to buy today or either Sony could lose a future PS5 user.

I think Sony has to speak or decide quickly. If they cut the CSL and/or the Podium out of PS5, it would mean that the new Xbox is the console to buy for sim racers.

I'm actually scared. Having the TGT as the only compatibile wheel at launch would look bad and sound like "we're only here for Gran Turismo and its wheel".

I hope they have clear that GT alone is not enough...

I think even the average sim racer would say "**** Gran Turismo, i go with Microsoft"

The reason i think that the T-GT will continue on the Ps5, is because they mentioned that the T-GT wheel will work for GT Sport and upcoming Gran Turismo titles. That makes me believe the T-GT will continue on the Ps5. But i really hope also the T300, because that one has a really large user base!! (I was one of them).

See here the text on Thrustmaster site on the T-GT:

"Thrustmaster presents T-GT, the ultimate Thrustmaster racing simulator for Gran Turismo Sport and for future Gran Turismo games : pro-level drivers will benefit from unique new technologies to experience all car behaviours and anticipate all track conditions."

On 4/25/2020 at 12:09 PM, thisdisplayname said:

I'm enjoying F1 2019 on a Thrustmaster T150 Pro wheel and pedals, to which I'll shortly do a brake pedal load cell mod.  And I'm probably going to get Assetto Corsa Competizione.  I'm know that the T150 is pretty entry level and may be limiting the experience.  Also that F1 2019 is limited in feel and realism etc, but it is still fun.

So, bearing in mind I'll try and get ACC, if I go for an upgraded wheel, how far up the ladder should I go?  I assume that just going to T300 is only 1 step and probably not worth it.  But TS-PC/Fanatec equivalent may be sufficient??  But should I go as far as DD etc??  Which I could do!!  I'm not yet into online racing, middle age+ reactions probably not sharp enough, but just want a good, realistic experience belting round a track.

😉

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1