Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GP2 team may join main series

As the title says GP2 leading team ART may join the main series in 2016 following Bernie's call for more teams.

Thoughts guys should GP2 teams stay where they are or are you open to the idea of them coming to the main series?

Grand prix times

That'll scare the likes of Mercedes and Ferrari. I can hear them shaking already.

Sounds like another crippled team that will race on its own just to make the start look better with 24 cars. 

ART was rumored to join 2010 along with a whole lot of other teams. It might make sense because ART have links with McLaren (Junior Stoffel Vandoorne races in GP2 with ART) it might turn into a McLaren 'B' team like Toro Rosso are to Red Bull. I don't see it happening there are massive differences in budget for GP2 and F1. They're good in GP2 I don't want to see the teams reputation ruined by one bad period in Formula 1. That being said if they can be competitive it would be a welcome addition

I think it would be good if ART joined Formula 1. They've been very good in GP2, they know the business well as they're in the support series to F1 too.

Also, this could be perfect to be a McLaren B-team with Honda engines. Think about it from Honda's point of view. They currently only supply McLaren but I think they'd probably want to supply to another team at some point.

Now ART's GP2 drivers are Stoffel Vandoorne and Nobuharu Matsushita. Vandoorne is obviously a McLaren young driver, and Matsushita is a young driver of Honda. If Honda wanted a driver in F1, they could definitely try and get him in there.

McLaren have also got Nyck de Vries coming through the ranks of WSR 3.5 too, and a B-team like ART could be the perfect place for them to put Vandoorne and de Vries, or even Magnussen again. Then when Jenson and Fernando eventually retire (I see McLaren being both their last team), they will probably fill in the spaces.

They should spice F1 up by having promotion/relegation like in football :D

Hughesy said:
well at 6least then Alonso and Button might not need to be complaining if they're driving GP2 cars :p

Hughesy said:
But then we wouldn't have had the banter that is Sauber signing up 4 drivers to race for them this season.