Sign in to follow this  

Abu Dhabi 100% race strategy

I’m currently on my last race in my championship season with Carlos sainz, I qualified 5th at Abu Dhabi.  I’m planning a 2 stopper to go soft, soft, medium. Has anyone tried a one stop here? I’m thinking of going long on my first stink then straight  on to the hard? Anybody ever done this? 

2 hours ago, peanutt2000 said:

I’m currently on my last race in my championship season with Carlos sainz, I qualified 5th at Abu Dhabi.  I’m planning a 2 stopper to go soft, soft, medium. Has anyone tried a one stop here? I’m thinking of going long on my first stink then straight  on to the hard? Anybody ever done this? 

I did in 2018. The last 5 laps were a struggle to keep up a reasonable pace as well as choose lines to prevent the rapidly increasing  procession behind me from passing. From memory I needed to place 8th to guarantee the championship or finish no more than 2 places behind Gasly. 5 laps to go I was 2nd behind Max, I finished 7th, 2 places behind Gasly. Was very stressful but as I do manual pit stops entry and exits I knew I lost too much time so considered 1 stop as worth it. Was very stressful but exciting!

10 hours ago, sloppysmusic said:

I did in 2018. The last 5 laps were a struggle to keep up a reasonable pace as well as choose lines to prevent the rapidly increasing  procession behind me from passing. From memory I needed to place 8th to guarantee the championship or finish no more than 2 places behind Gasly. 5 laps to go I was 2nd behind Max, I finished 7th, 2 places behind Gasly. Was very stressful but as I do manual pit stops entry and exits I knew I lost too much time so considered 1 stop as worth it. Was very stressful but exciting!

Thanks for the reply. I’m due to pit on lap 14 if I could maybe stretch that to lay 19/20 it might be possible 

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, peanutt2000 said:

Thanks for the reply. I’m due to pit on lap 14 if I could maybe stretch that to lay 19/20 it might be possible 

Good point. As long as you're not losing too much time each lap that is. I watch my lap times carefully and the moment I regularly start dropping 0.5sec to 1 sec it's time to get ready to pit. Tire conservation is extra important of course if you are planning to stretch a stint longer so instead of pushing the car to get the fastest possible laps it's best to keep your lines as smooth as possible. Using lean fuel mix will also conserve tires if you need an extra few laps. I always try and remember the hare and the tortoise story!

this track has several good passing spots so if you have the pace late on you can plan to pass cars if you need to.

good luck don't forget to tell us how you got on!

Edited by sloppysmusic
Missing word!

Stretched my first stint to lap 17 then went onto the hard. I finished 8th Pérez got me near the end and had to defend a lot in last couple of laps. Was very hard work.