Does a better wheel make a difference.

Hello, I am currently using the Thrustmaster TMX and going around learning the tracks, I seem to be slightly off the pace since using no assists of racing line, I was wondering as my wheel is quite a cheap wheel, does having a more expensive wheel make you quicker or does it not make any difference except add more realism.  I do understand that practice will always make me better but I was watching peoples streams and it seems that they can turn in so much quicker into bends etc than I can.

Thank you for your help in advance.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I didn't really feel like I got better when I upgraded from DFGT to T300. I'd say the quality of driving improved instead. As in, it was significantly more fun to drive... or something like that 🙂 

If you're just learning the tracks, you still have a lot of speed you can squeeze out of the wheel you already have!

Edited by UP100
I'm not going to lie, I accidentally typed 'lie' instead of 'like'
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

A better wheel does not make you faster, as it is ultimately your skills that determine how fast or smooth you are driving.

But, a better wheel will certainly have a more detailed FFB and much more force and power to feel the car as accurately as possible, it is usually built to be more robust and has more accessories or upgradeable / interchangeable parts (e.g. changing the steering wheel rim, adding a h-shifter etc.), it also usually has mich more buttons and rotary dials that you can use to bind to specific ingame features (e.g. changing brake bias, differential, ers mode etc.) and it usually has much better pedals for the throttle / clutch / brake.

In terms of feel?

A better wheel will always be the go to option. There's no questioning that. Especially Direct Drive Wheels are currently the pinnacle of simracing equipment for the wheel itself.

In terms of relative pace and consistency? 

You could be driving with a old Logitech DFGT and still beat a fella using a Direct Drive Wheel from Fanatec, if you are skilled enough and most importantly: Feel comfortable driving!

Imo, comfortability is more important than pricy hardware, but if you got lots of money to spend and don't have to care about finances as much as the average Joe, go for a Direct Drive Wheel, as the better feel will be more immersive and realistic.

Either way, nothing beats practice and honing your skills. Just keep at it and you will steadily become better eventually.

PS: Did you calibrate your wheel correctly?

Many people, who are new to wheels, usually tend to let the wheel settings at default. But, it is necessary to adjust the settings accordingly, else you will not get the most out of your wheel.

Edited by TheEmpireWasRight
Added new info
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

Thank you for the replies, I have money to buy a bit of a better wheel to upgrade to a mid price wheel but if it doesn't make much difference I won't until the next f1 game and I can get more competitive times to race online on sites. 

@TheEmpireWasRight I have not calibrated my wheel at all , is there a video or anything on how to calibrate a thrustmaster TMX wheel.

Thank you again 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

@jarmin0123

I have a similar wheel at home, the Thrustmaster T150. Interestingly, i found the default settings for the calibration and a more weak FFB to be the best for the T150 to avoid clipping. The wheel works fine out of the box. 

Here are my Thrustmaster T150 settings for F1 2019:

Calibration: 

-everything on default.

Vibration & Force Feedback:

-Vibration & Force Feedback = On

-Vibration & Force Feedback Strength = 60

-On Track Effects = 30

-Rumble Strip Effects = 45

-Off Track Effects = 5

-Wheel Damper = 0

-Understeer Enhance = Off

-Maximum Wheel Rotation = 360°

PS: If you have the T3PA Pro Pedals, you might need to change the brake and throttle values for the calibration. These pedals are very sensitive, imo.

Edited by TheEmpireWasRight
Added new info
  • Thanks 2

A better wheel mainly makes a difference in games with a comprehensible handling model and a good force feedback implementation. The F1 games are sadly NOT such games.

However, I gained a lot of time going from last gen controllers to current gen controllers (think 360 Controller to Dualshock 4) because the detail of the vibration and the sensitivity of the triggers was a lot better. The controller model is pretty great, all things considered.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

In my opinion, it's both YES and NO. I think it will at least make you more stable. The average lap time may improve in long races and the like, but not in time trials and the like.

The information from the wheel is important, but it's the repetitive practice that will yield the greatest results. That's why some drivers are very fast, even on pads and cheap wheels with little or no handle information.

When it comes to speed, the pedals (load cell brakes) make a bigger difference than the steering wheel. Note, however, that this may not be true for everyone.

• Like 2

Hi everyone,

I'd like to say I'm almost an expert on this topic! (Makes a change right...... 😛 )

So, for context, my home 'pre-Codemasters' setup is an Xbox One S with a TMX and a wheel stand brought from Amazon. For my little world of Career mode on a Friday after work before seeing my friends, it was exactly what I needed. The wheel stand shakes, and if i put any power in the wheel in saves, the stand went crazy. I also sat in a dining chair, which didn't help. However, I found the wheel good, and me and my mates have a lot of fun messing around on it. 

However, there is a big difference now I've experienced the 'big leagues'. In terms of quality, you get so much more feeling from Direct Drive and a more immersive gameplay and feel. In terms of raw time, there was some improvement, but it was mostly influenced by my average level of ability. I'd gone from 85 AI to 93, and my biggest jump (now at 103) was with practice. The less assists as well the better in terms of noticing the difference.

I'd say my biggest difference was the stand, and now actually having one at work. I wasn't as worried that a snap of oversteer would put my TMX through my 4th floor flat window anymore. 

My 'analysis' is yes, there is a difference for sure, but no replacement for practice. A stable base and a comfortable playing area is also really important. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Thanks for the updates , looking forward to calibrating my wheel to see if that helps  putting in more practice and seeing if I can get more competitive time trials and consistent race pace to warrant buying a better wheel and league competing .

Thank you

• Agree 1

The more competitive you get and the better your opposition the more a high quality wheel and pedals matters. At the top even tiny differences giving you maybe half a second better lap times will gain you maybe 5 places in the race. The same way real world athletes and swimmers wear clothing tested in wind tunnels for least possible resistance to gain micro seconds in a race. To compete for gold at the Olympics every tiny detail is important. On your school sports day it's not!

So yes first of all practice, practice practice. If a beginner buys a high end wheel he's still a beginner. If  you eventually improve your skills to start competing against seriously good opponents it's then you will notice any minor flaws in your wheel. They tiny loss of control on the final bend you experienced because your turning wasn't quite smooth enough will cost you a place and you won't forget that. That poor start you made because you couldn't match the precision throttle control the other racers had will stick in the back of your mind. You will KNOW when you need to upgrade your hardware it's as simple as that. Good luck in your racing it's very rewarding when you notice how much better you are then when you started!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TheEmpireWasRight said:

A better wheel does not make you faster, as it is ultimately your skills that determine how fast or smooth you are driving.

But, a better wheel will certainly have a more detailed FFB and much more force and power to feel the car as accurately as possible, it is usually built to be more robust and has more accessories or upgradeable / interchangeable parts (e.g. changing the steering wheel rim, adding a h-shifter etc.), it also usually has mich more buttons and rotary dials that you can use to bind to specific ingame features (e.g. changing brake bias, differential, ers mode etc.) and it usually has much better pedals for the throttle / clutch / brake.

In terms of feel?

A better wheel will always be the go to option. There's no questioning that. Especially Direct Drive Wheels are currently the pinnacle of simracing equipment for the wheel itself.

In terms of relative pace and consistency? 

You could be driving with a old Logitech DFGT and still beat a fella using a Direct Drive Wheel from Fanatec, if you are skilled enough and most importantly: Feel comfortable driving!

Imo, comfortability is more important than pricy hardware, but if you got lots of money to spend and don't have to care about finances as much as the average Joe, go for a Direct Drive Wheel, as the better feel will be more immersive and realistic.

Either way, nothing beats practice and honing your skills. Just keep at it and you will steadily become better eventually.

PS: Did you calibrate your wheel correctly?

Many people, who are new to wheels, usually tend to let the wheel settings at default. But, it is necessary to adjust the settings accordingly, else you will not get the most out of your wheel.

Absoulutelly right mate. 

My special Feedback about wheels i currently have the oldest pre historic Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback wheel and its so rare using it.. I had the opportunity of testing the Fanatec in a Event 2 years ago in F1 Game as well and the difference is huge.. I have a lot of knowdlege in a racing car and i am too "sensibity" feeling the car when i am driving /racing.. That is the most important thing (its the key).. And i can tell that in my 1st 3 laps i make more than second faster compared with my usual times when using my oldest wheel.. So asnwering to your question.. The wheel makes a huge difference in your experience and feeling.. Not in making you faster.. But that depends of another things and another kind of habilities 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, CarlosSantos87 said:

Absoulutelly right mate. 

My special Feedback about wheels i currently have the oldest pre historic Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback wheel and its so rare using it.. I had the opportunity of testing the Fanatec in a Event 2 years ago in F1 Game as well and the difference is huge.. I have a lot of knowdlege in a racing car and i am too "sensibity" feeling the car when i am driving /racing.. That is the most important thing (its the key).. And i can tell that in my 1st 3 laps i make more than second faster compared with my usual times when using my oldest wheel.. So asnwering to your question.. The wheel makes a huge difference in your experience and feeling.. Not in making you faster.. But that depends of another things and another kind of habilities 

That's a good point. A great wheel won't make a beginner better until a long time of hard practice has passed. Maybe years. But a crappy wheel can destroy a great driver in no time at all.

• Like 2

Great advice, really glad i came here for the knowledge of you guys. Definitely something to look into in the near future

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sloppysmusic said:

That's a good point. A great wheel won't make a beginner better until a long time of hard practice has passed. Maybe years. But a crappy wheel can destroy a great driver in no time at all.

You take the exactly words of my mouth mate.. He have a example in a modern F1 era.. Vettel is a great driver but if He doesn t have a car how He feels confident /confortable of He can t take the maximum of him.. Another side in 2001 everyone Remember what Alonso did with a mediocre Minardi Car in Indianapolis qualifying in a amazing lap beating Ralf Schumacher!!! How much a sensivity of the driver knowing the minest changes of the car better Will be the final result 

• Thanks 1