Sign in to follow this  

What's your opinion on Dirt Rally 2 cars setup mechanics ?

Posted (edited)

I had such a blast playing rallycross that I decided to learn how to setup cars; I did my homework until I could find my way into that intricate web of settings and accurately recognize what must be done to get better timings.

I felt a bit disappointed to realize that a lot of the rallycross car's settings, had to be basically maxed-out to get the most out of them. This feels broken am I wrong ?

The only vehicles I know I would ever max out IRL are broken aswell and on their way to maintenance.

It appears to me the only fun and sim worthy aspect of a rallycross setup is to determine the camber vs anti-roll bar mechanic. Toe can be subtle and interesting as well, but that's it, an awful lot of the rest is pretty much min/max business.

I guess I'll get back to "classic rally", where that phenomenon seems way less pronounced.

What's your opinion ? Do you find car settings mechanics balanced and fun in Dirt Rally 2 ?

Edited by c4n4rd

How well are you doing on daily events of rallycross? how far are you from World Records? I can hardly ever get into category 1, I am amazed at how fast are some guys

In my case I do agree that there are general tendency to have more or less the same setup in most of rallycross cars, but when you get to the fine point where 1 sec per lap matters, and a lot, you begin to see that it is not so easy to set up a car in rallycross. I am less than 2 seconds away from WR in some rallycross tracks and gaining time right now is a little bit difficult

I will give you an example, I struggle a little bit in elite championship with the polo S1600... i usually win everywhere, but now in Estering (germany) I have to settle barely to qualify for semifinals

and I decided to investigate what are the best settings for the Polo..

so far I would recommend (I do not know the settings for the pros/aliens):

- toe out front at max (to the left), negative camber maxed front and rear (to the left), toe in rear max LIKE IN EVERY CAR

- brakes: it depends how you drive, in the polo I leave it in Estering at 2034 Nm (i do not block the tires with higher strength, but I do get slower times), 74% front bias.. depends on the car

- Differential: again, there are multiple variants, and a lot of them work, in my case LSD driving lock max, LSD braking lock min, LSD preload min... depends on the car

- Gearing: funny thing, I have the gearbox set to arrive 180 km/h in Estering, while this guy does not touch 175 and yet he is one second faster than I... but the thing I am exploring is that he uses only 5 gears, while I use 6 gears, he does not even top out in 5th in the straight while I am at redline. I use final ratio 0,162, 0436 1st, 0,506 2nd, 0,580 3rd, 0,699 4th, 0,843 5th, 0,968 6th and I am wondering if that this is my biggest problem or the braking.... our lines are very similar (and I would say in gravel I even have a little higher speeds than him in general)

- Damping: firm at 5.00 everywhere + front and rear bump division at 0,60 (middle) LIKE EN EVERY CAR

- Springs: lowest height front and rear, firmest spring rate and roll bar front and rear LIKE IN EVERY CAR

so far I have found one guy pulling 34.xx lows while I have to make enormous effort to get 35.xx mid. The worst is that I carry more speed than him on straights...

I personally don't like those Frankenstein setups where you max out everything. If it works for some guys, fine, to me those settings feel terrible, so it's not the only way to set up a car at all. 

• Agree 1

Hey, thanks for your interest in the matter and your detailed answer.

I think i'm a few seconds past worlds records in rallycross in general, doing good in daily events etc. No alien but I probably got a good grip on the game's physics.

For the sake of experimenting I also went min/max setup on spain (not the most relevant stage to make a fair critic I know); and while I often spent quite some time thinking about subtle and wannabe clever adjustments to my setups, this approach seems to trump everything in the big picture.

Allow me to illustrate my point: if I set any of my motorcycle suspensions setting to min/max, I know for a fact that I won't make it past a few hard turns. Dirt Rally seems to rewards that in way that kinda ruins the game depth for me.

Check that very talented guy and his setup for reference.

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, richie said:

I personally don't like those Frankenstein setups where you max out everything. If it works for some guys, fine, to me those settings feel terrible, so it's not the only way to set up a car at all. 

I also avoided like the plague those unrealistic setups butchering the game FFB until I created one myself and realized they were probably the most efficient.

Edited by c4n4rd