F1 2020 interview with Lee Mather

18 minutes ago, AlexTT said:

Soooooo....

this means that beeing overtaken over grass will be the new standard online? More idiotic crash actions? 

everything new is difficult to learn, that's there's a thing called LEARNING! 

this is going to make online lobbies even worse then they already are...

Let's see how it works first, it might just put the brakes on with some added stability.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Worntoathread said:

Let's see how it works first, it might just put the brakes on with some added stability.

Man that was annoying in older F1 games!

7 hours ago, AlexTT said:

Soooooo....

this means that beeing overtaken over grass will be the new standard online? More idiotic crash actions? 

No @AlexTT this will not be the case. I think you're jumping to conclusions a little bit there imo.

Accessibility options are exactly that...options. These settings are for newer players who have never picked up the titles before. Realistically, these players won't be going near the Online mode as they will have bigger challenges in front of them. (Getting round the circuits, completing a lap, racing near other cars etc)

Online lobbies in any game are always 'at risk' of differing skills gaps and abilities. For people who enjoy the game, they will want to get better naturally. (I thought I was quick at F1 2019 until @Bicarda and @Flash224 cruise past me in the Forum League, yet my weekly fights with @massa88 for lower points are a highlight of our league IMO). The aim of the assists is to welcome new players who have previously be intimidated by a relatively difficult game to pick up and play and give them help on the first step of the F1 game ladder. Then, once they have built confidence in the game, turning them off slowly will help them become quicker and more competitive.

• Like 2
  • Disagree 1

Posted (edited)

sorry codemasters... this is the wrong way... which kind of customers do you want to make happy? babies? little children? customers who like to play F1 in style like need for speed? 

you still ignore the racing fans... the F1 lovers... the loyal customers who are racing for many seasons and enjoy league racing... 

no improvement on more realistic handling? or on realism itself like the original f1 hud (for strategy important), tyre wear, damage, mechanic failures, etc...?

Codemasters are working for the wrong part of the customers - sorry but when i hear this, i am so disappointed - one more game for racing kids and not for lovers of this genre and realism... i think there could only be one reason for this decicions - money - because when this game is easy as for babies, all the kids will buy it!

Edited by weisiAUT
  • Agree 4
  • Disagree 2

1. Why not release a demo before making people cash out to see if they will even like the game?

2. Will there be VR support for 2020?

1 hour ago, weisiAUT said:

sorry codemasters... this is the wrong way... which kind of customers do you want to make happy? babies? little children? customers who like to play F1 in style like need for speed? 

you still ignore the racing fans... the F1 lovers... the loyal customers who are racing for many seasons and enjoy league racing... 

no improvement on more realistic handling? or on realism itself like the original f1 hud (for strategy important), tyre wear, damage, mechanic failures, etc...?

Codemasters are working for the wrong part of the customers - sorry but when i hear this, i am so disappointed - one more game for racing kids and not for lovers of this genre and realism... i think there could only be one reason for this decicions - money - because when this game is easy as for babies, all the kids will buy it!

Hi @weisiAUT,

Again, I think a few conclusions have been jumped to here. 

We are adding accessibility features into the game, as an option, for new players to get used to the nature of the games that have historically been more difficult titles to pick up and play. We've made no statement on your 3rd sentence as we are still in the early announcement stages for 2020, with more in-depth details to follow as we get closer to release date. 

I would disagree with your statement on "working for the wrong part of the customers", we are working for a wide range of players to interact with a game. As players get used to a game, naturally, they have to remove assists and help to be quicker, more competitive, and to ultimately get more enjoyment from the sensation of driving the fastest cars on the planet.

New players have to start somewhere and this is a part of nearly all modern games. Take, for example, Call of Duty: Warzone, that, quite correctly, have extensive training missions with AI, and talk you through what to do to practice and get used to the mode. Then, once you are comfortable, players get harder (human), the map gets bigger and the whole game becomes more unpredictable. If you just stay in the training missions with a low level AI and someone telling you how to win, you seek more challenges. 

To bring it back, the accessibility features are there to help the newest of players gain confidence in negotiating a circuit, driving near other cars and getting through a race in one piece. Further in-depth details of the game are yet to be announced, and I'd recommend keeping track on the announcement to be up to date on anything new with F1 2020.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 4

I don't understand why it doesn't get what barry says.  How often should he explain it in more detail?

• Disagree 1

Posted (edited)

I think Codemasters should release two games, F1 2020 Regular and F1 2020 Professionnal.

You're a new driver or want to play career, buy the regular version which could be called arcade as it's the main purpose. You're a driver playing online and eSport, buy the professionnal version which is devoted to realism, that could be called simulation. Cockpit mode only, full telemetry into the game, VR and so on.

Actually, they try to satisfy everybody and it's a great challenge because nobody is fully satisfied.

I'm playing Codemasters games in leagues since F1 2012 and always bought the games since and still wonder when will come THE GAME I need. I already pre-purchase F1 2020 but I'm asking myself now if it is the last i will buy before turning to iRacing for good. I know if I do that, I won't come back to Codemasters games.

Edited by Lescadres

Posted (edited)

difficult to controle i think who buys what ?

but maybe they can force you to have a practice time on lets take 15 tracks and a certain amount of laps ,once you did them you can acces the on line lobby's

Edited by The Icem@n
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Lescadres said:

I think Codemasters should release two games, F1 2020 Regular and F1 2020 Professionnal.

You're a new driver or want to play career, buy the regular version which could be called arcade as it's the main purpose. You're a driver playing online and eSport, buy the professionnal version which is devoted to realism, that could be called simulation. Cockpit mode only, full telemetry into the game, VR and so on.

Actually, they try to satisfy everybody and it's a great challenge because nobody is fully satisfied.

I'm playing Codemasters games in leagues since F1 2012 and always bought the games since and still wonder when will come THE GAME I need. I already pre-purchase F1 2020 but I'm asking myself now if it is the last i will buy before turning to iRacing for good. I know if I do that, I won't come back to Codemasters games.

If you can put it option wise in one game, why should they release 2 games. That makes no sense.

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, AlexTT said:

Soooooo....

Eventually newcomers will be able to 'compete' and win without even needing to use a controller at all. Except maybe to issue instructions to the car. PASS/NUDGE /GESTURE /DONUT. Will be the 4 common inputs taken care of. Sit back and become a winner with absolutely no practice or training required. Advanced players will be able to hold down button combos for extra classic manoevers such as BRAKE CHECK /RAM /CUT CORNER or TRACK WEAVE. The future is almost here..... 🔮😭

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, 1512marcel said:

If you can put it option wise in one game, why should they release 2 games. That makes no sense.

It would be perfect in one game but what are they waiting for ?

Edited by Lescadres

There aim is a broad audience, not only the hardcore gamer. If you're looking for that, go iRacing, Raceroom or one of the others. If you are looking for F1 in full color you're only option is the Codemasters game. But that will probably never be a pure sim.

• Like 1
  • Disagree 1

28 minutes ago, 1512marcel said:

There aim is a broad audience, not only the hardcore gamer. If you're looking for that, go iRacing, Raceroom or one of the others. If you are looking for F1 in full color you're only option is the Codemasters game. But that will probably never be a pure sim.

Iracing is no harder than f1 or any racing game, why are people going on about how hard racing  games are, they aren't, you accelerate, you steer, you brake, simple. 

The hard thing is. To be consistent and fast, and that's the learning curve. 

Which you have to already do on f1 games, sooooo, why are they only making it easier and not not revising and adding as much depth to the simulation aspect. 

You said a broad audience, then contradict yourself, by implying f1 is easier. 

Why defend, we all know this is aimed at children, but it could be for the "hardcore" too. 

But it comes down to money, people think graphics guys are well paid, you wait to you hear what the physics/ coding guys earn. 

It would cut the profit margin in codes eyes, they don't see the long run, just the short term cash grab 

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 3

3 minutes ago, pachedupdemon said:

Iracing is no harder than f1 or any racing game, why are people going on about how hard racing  games are, they aren't, you accelerate, you steer, you brake, simple. 

Which you have to already do on f1 games, sooooo, why are they only making it easier and not not revising and adding as much depth to the simulation aspect. 

Why defend, we all know this is aimed at children, but it could be for the "hardcore" too. 

But it comes down to money, people think graphics guys are well paid, you wait to you hear what the physics/ coding guys earn. 

It would cut the profit margin in codes eyes, they don't see the long run, just the short term cash grab 

If they want to stay in business, they need to keep selling the game.  That means appealing to the wide audience.

But if they want F1 to be an eSport, they need to fix the "unreality" of the driving experience.

As you say, no racing game should be harder or easier to race in.  Adding assists to help new or weak players is fine, as that helps with sales and creates a wider audience.  But the driving in the game needs to be as close to real driving as possible.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, pachedupdemon said:

I don't see how you can say that F1 games are as hard as some other titles. On rF2 I have to do 200 to 500 laps of practice in order to be able to control the car and do laps around a second slower than the leader. On F1 games I can just turn up and drive around with no worries about losing control and etc.

Not the best example, but this is the one I have available. This mistake in a race a long time ago: It was significantly harder to stay in control of that car in rF2 and that single mistake cost me a pit stop as the tires were completely ruined as I was trying to not hit the wall.
https://streamable.com/op3rn

The most that could've happened in F1 games is probably that I'd just understeer and cut the corner. What makes other games harder than F1 games is that they're more unforgiving which harms being consistent and fast (which were what you considered to be hard)

• Agree 3

On 4/28/2020 at 3:13 PM, gabsn123 said:

complaining, complaining, complaining, ... I can no longer hear how codemasters are partially crushed.  disgusting!  please be once satisfied!  i am more than sure that codies will do their best! there is so much good and nice information in this interview.  no, only the bad things are written and the good things are forgotten in this forum.  what's wrong with lee mather giving an interview at redbull.  red bull has a large environment and a long range.

Really....

WHY would there be so much complaining you think? 

if we don't adress negatives and problems, they never get fixed! And since this AHUM SIM is the best there is and nothing is better and drives like a real f1 car according to real drivers we're just talking trash. 

yep you're totally right.

4 hours ago, sloppysmusic said:

Eventually newcomers will be able to 'compete' and win without even needing to use a controller at all. Except maybe to issue instructions to the car. PASS/NUDGE /GESTURE /DONUT. Will be the 4 common inputs taken care of. Sit back and become a winner with absolutely no practice or training required. Advanced players will be able to hold down button combos for extra classic manoevers such as BRAKE CHECK /RAM /CUT CORNER or TRACK WEAVE. The future is almost here..... 🔮😭

Bruh, you forgot "PIT others and screw the penalty to them and not you" option

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Of course, negative things should be addressed, but codemasters should not always be put down like that!

26 minutes ago, gabsn123 said:

Of course, negative things should be addressed, but codemasters should not always be put down like that!

Why not? They do it with us (the community) for years! 

What'd you expect? That we just go WAUW YES! Pretty clouds, while there's so many TRUE issues that we keep saying year after year. I'm looking at you suzuka bump! Safety car, only took YEARS to get that thing even to appear on track and I can keep going. 

if you say you listen to the community (ALL OF US HERE IS THE COMMUNITY) and release another faultfest and break FFB with every patch released, and just never respond to anything here, well, sorry buddy but that's completely their own fault. 

i don't believe anything anymore after all those years, especially from that "doesn'tmather" dude, because everything he says turns out to be only pretty talk. 

actions speak louder than words, and so far CM actions are worth as much as what they say and promise. Empty!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I hope the owners of the deluxe edition can sign that German guy to be their teammate. 

On 4/28/2020 at 11:45 AM, mikyesposto95 said:

with great disappointment the Codemasters road was learned. I expected a game that went more towards simulation but they added steering assistance and simplified off-road surfaces. They had to be made more difficult rather than simplified. In the career you should then start from f2 to make your way into f1 and the sponsor editor should follow the game of MotoGP instead of finding standard sponsors without being able to customize.

Towards simulation i am totally agreed with you mate.. And they should put "Assetto Corsa" Handling /immersion /gameplay and improve the Online mode aswell like "Iracing".. They should adapt /introduce the "Iracing" Penalty System 

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, UP100 said:

I don't see how you can say that F1 games are as hard as some other titles. On rF2 I have to do 200 to 500 laps of practice in order to be able to control the car and do laps around a second slower than the leader. On F1 games I can just turn up and drive around with no worries about losing control and etc.

Not the best example, but this is the one I have available. This mistake in a race a long time ago: It was significantly harder to stay in control of that car in rF2 and that single mistake cost me a pit stop as the tires were completely ruined as I was trying to not hit the wall.
https://streamable.com/op3rn

The most that could've happened in F1 games is probably that I'd just understeer and cut the corner. What makes other games harder than F1 games is that they're more unforgiving which harms being consistent and fast (which were what you considered to be hard)

Because you misunderstand his point. Is this deliberate so you can defend codemasters f1 games? 😁

Fundamentally driving is not a difficult skill, little kids drive go carts and bumper cars. I learnt to drive first by steering, at about 4 years old, sitting on my dad's lap while he took care of the pedals and gears. When I could reach the pedals at around 9/10 I was driving around the farm by myself. By 12 I was working the fields in a tractor. At 14 I had my own car, a Morris Marina 1300. My dad got it for me as a lesson in mechanics from the scapyard, it was mine if I could fix it up. Needless to say I had fun as a kid! But I digress...

If you enjoy rFactor, relish the challenge of driving fast and consistently on the edge of grip, then surely you can understand what assists are for, and why people want an accurate simulation with no assists. Forgive me but I don't know if rFactor has assists, but probably not. If it did you could "turn up and drive" like you say you can in codemasters f1 games.

The assists are there for a reason, they are designed to be the comfort zone. It is why practically every road car has traction control, stability control and anti lock brakes, so that when talent runs out and your in trouble, the assist comes to your aid preventing loss of control. We have Max Mosley and F1 to thank for that. The technology was taken from F1 when anti lock brakes and traction control were legal.

F1 doesn't allow assists now, for good reason, they are the best drivers in the world. To master the skill and reach the pinnacle of motorsport, F1, takes many thousands of hours of practice and a natural talent (some would argue, deep pockets and a bit luck too).

By having assists in the f1 game codemasters are not being authentic to the F1 rules, whilst claiming the game is. Now I understand that assists are an accessibility feature meaning all can enjoy the game. Seeing as you have the assists why not have more authentic physics modeling? By doing so you cater to an even wider audience. I believe patchedupdemon was correct when he surmised that profit was the reason for that decision.

Edited by ChasteWand

10 hours ago, pachedupdemon said:

First of all, I’m not defending or implying anything here, just pointing out to what audience Codemasters is aiming for. And when I talk about hardcore, I’m talking about the whole package, not the diehard sim racer. I’m talking about telemetry, being able to tune everything in the car, performance on track, car behavior. And if you say I’m implying that the F1 games are easier, yes, if you take the whole package into account than iRacing is more difficult and has a higher learning curve than the F1 series. The only thing I agree on is that you have to be consistent. Difference here is that it takes far more time to become consistent in the hardcore games than it takes to become consistent in the F1 series. Adding more depth to the simulation aspect in the  F1 series is what most of us here want, but that doesn’t stroke with the business concept of the series. Once you accept and understand that you can make a choice and enjoy these games or not. That’s why I stated that if you are looking for “ hardcore” in a racing game you have to shop somewhere else. And the money thing, please don’t start that again. That’s always the ace up the sleeve that comes out when they run out of plausible arguments. A cheap excuse. It’s all about the money, always, they’re just different business concepts. I wonder if there are any on the iRacing forum that complain that the game is too hard to master and ask for a refund. No way, they just quite and look for a game that fits their abilities.

27 minutes ago, ChasteWand said:

Because you misunderstand his point. Is this deliberate so you can defend codemasters f1 games? 😁

Fundamentally driving is not a difficult skill, little kids drive go carts and bumper cars. I learnt to drive first by steering, at about 4 years old, sitting on my dad's lap while he took care of the pedals and gears. When I could reach the pedals at around 9/10 I was driving around the farm by myself. By 12 I was working the fields in a tractor. At 14 I had my own car, a Morris Marina 1300. My dad got it for me as a lesson in mechanics from the scapyard, it was mine if I could fix it up. Needless to say I had fun as a kid! But I digress...

If you enjoy rFactor, relish the challenge of driving fast and consistently on the edge of grip, then surely you can understand what assists are for, and why people want an accurate simulation with no assists. Forgive me but I don't know if rFactor has assists, but probably not. If it did you could "turn up and drive" like you say you can in codemasters f1 games.

The assists are there for a reason, they are designed to be the comfort zone. It is why practically every road car has traction control, stability control and anti lock brakes, so that when talent runs out and your in trouble, the assist comes to your aid preventing loss of control. We have Max Mosley and F1 to thank for that. The technology was taken from F1 when anti lock brakes and traction control were legal.

F1 doesn't allow assists now, for good reason, they are the best drivers in the world. To master the skill and reach the pinnacle of motorsport, F1, takes many thousands of hours of practice and a natural talent (some would argue, deep pockets and a bit luck too).

By having assists in the f1 game codemasters are not being authentic to the F1 rules, whilst claiming the game is. Now I understand that assists are an accessibility feature meaning all can enjoy the game. Seeing as you have the assists why not have more authentic physics modeling? By doing so you cater to an even wider audience. I believe patchedupdemon was correct when he surmised that profit was the reason for that decision.

Nothing is hard if you count doing it horribly as hard. I don't know what does this have to do with how rF2 is harder than F1 games due to it's features. Such as even if I'd spin the exact same way in both games, I'd still lose much more time in rF2 due to it having flat spots.

rFactor 2 has full assist support including steering assist I believe! Some of these are automatically turned on when you launch the game for the first time on a new machine.

Some of the assists I can remember are TC, ABS, Steering, Invulnerability, Auto-Clutch and Auto-Shifting. These aren't documented on the internet so these are just the ones I could remember.

• Agree 1