F1 2020 interview with Lee Mather

with great disappointment the Codemasters road was learned. I expected a game that went more towards simulation but they added steering assistance and simplified off-road surfaces. They had to be made more difficult rather than simplified. In the career you should then start from f2 to make your way into f1 and the sponsor editor should follow the game of MotoGP instead of finding standard sponsors without being able to customize.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

I think with the simplified offroad surfaces that will be an assist option and one that most people will leave off. In that respect, it will leave the game as it was but it is good they are adding these assists as it will make the game easier for beginners.

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, smalls048 said:

I think with the simplified offroad surfaces that will be an assist option and one that most people will leave off. In that respect, it will leave the game as it was but it is good they are adding these assists as it will make the game easier for beginners.

I agree, it's a good way to get more people into picking the game up and giving it a go, so long as nothing is compromised for more veteran players.

Honestly the interview as a whole has made me pretty excited for the full release, especially the new information about the MyTeam mode, having to properly organise everything instead of simply focussing on the R&D sounds like it'd make for a brilliant challenge.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, smalls048 said:

This is along the right line @smalls048. The extra additions will be for accessibility for new players to the series, and people who may been fans of the sport, but found it difficult to interact with the world of racing games, which can be a little intimidating. These will be options and can be enabled and disabled to suit the player.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, BarryBL said:

This is along the right line @smalls048. The extra additions will be for accessibility for new players to the series, and people who may been fans of the sport, but found it difficult to interact with the world of racing games, which can be a little intimidating. These will be options and can be enabled and disabled to suit the player.

thanks for the answer barry, I hope you have made the gravel more realistic for those who want an authentic simulation

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, BarryBL said:

Everything that is put as an option, is the best solution in my opinion, based on the needs from the gamers.

• Agree 3

Posted (edited)

give us coop for myteam/career mode pls. dont know why they put effort in splitscreen instead.

Edited by KiLLu12258
  • Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

Posted (edited)

What a terrible interview. This is just the trailer/press release in a different format on a different site. 

If only they'd let someone interview him that has actually played the game before and knows what to ask. 

@BarryBL Can I interview Lee Mather too, please? I think I have a lot more interesting questions to ask than the rubbish Mr. Hunt-Stevenson came up with.

Edited by Bicarda

complaining, complaining, complaining, ... I can no longer hear how codemasters are partially crushed.  disgusting!  please be once satisfied!  i am more than sure that codies will do their best! there is so much good and nice information in this interview.  no, only the bad things are written and the good things are forgotten in this forum.  what's wrong with lee mather giving an interview at redbull.  red bull has a large environment and a long range.

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

So basically:

• Driver Market confirmed
  • Customizable calendar season per season
  • You can choose from Classic Career which include a new market system for your player (R&D points as a Salary?) or MyTeam

And this one I didn't get it: 

"As the team boss, you're no longer the commodity in the driver market, and it’s your team-mate and all of the other drivers in both Formula 1 and Formula 2"

Can you sign people from F1 and F2 (!)? Or Is MyTeam also for F2?

BTW as offline player that doesn't give a .... about servers and online, I have a good amount of hype

1 minute ago, gabsn123 said:

complaining, complaining, complaining, ... I can no longer hear how codemasters are partially crushed.  disgusting!  please be once satisfied!  i am more than sure that codies will do their best! there is so much good and nice information in this interview.  no, only the bad things are written and the good things are forgotten in this forum.  what's wrong with lee mather giving an interview at redbull.  red bull has a large environment and a long range.

I'm saying nothing about Codemasters here lol it's the interviewer that clearly dropped the ball.. 

There's a whole paragraph about the new tracks here with just general info about how the dunes go into the sea and how the other is a street circuit with a very long straight. 
90% of the info in there was already available or not even really connected to the game at all. 

I can totally understand how you would not open with "Okay so f1 2019 was a mess online, what have you changed?"
But not a word on how the stability was improved, on a smarter way of dealing with penalties. Not a word on the spectating experience for e-sports in general. 

And once again I'm blaming the interviewer here. Who dares to ask the question "How will the three customizable season lengths impact players?"

Like.. WHAT? seriously? some of their seasons will be shorter of course!  what's not to get? 

If one added option like that, that shouldn't even be worth mentioning but just be one of MANY customization options that should have been in the game years ago,
Gets a WHOLE paragraph. I fear that there is just very little to actually talk about and that worries me. 

• Agree 3

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Bicarda said:

I'm saying nothing about Codemasters here lol it's the interviewer that clearly dropped the ball.. 

There's a whole paragraph about the new tracks here with just general info about how the dunes go into the sea and how the other is a street circuit with a very long straight. 
90% of the info in there was already available or not even really connected to the game at all. 

I can totally understand how you would not open with "Okay so f1 2019 was a mess online, what have you changed?"
But not a word on how the stability was improved, on a smarter way of dealing with penalties. Not a word on the spectating experience for e-sports in general. 

And once again I'm blaming the interviewer here. Who dares to ask the question "How will the three customizable season lengths impact players?"

Like.. WHAT? seriously? some of their seasons will be shorter of course!  what's not to get? 

If one added option like that, that shouldn't even be worth mentioning but just be one of MANY customization options that should have been in the game years ago,
Gets a WHOLE paragraph. I fear that there is just very little to actually talk about and that worries me. 

There has been the announcement, and this interview. CodeMasters most likely don't want to just spew out every single detail at once and information will come out over time, much like the majority of games ever made. What we got from this interview is a little more explanation for how MyTeam will work and some other things to expect.

Yes I agree that the question about the new tracks is a little redundant but I'm positive that over the next few months we'll be given more and more information about what's new and what's changed.

Edited by KingdomsOfRust
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

6 minutes ago, KingdomsOfRust said:

There has been the announcement, and this interview. CodeMasters most likely don't want to just spew out every single detail at once and information will come out over time, much like the majority of games ever made. What we got from this interview is a little more explanation for how MyTeam will work and some other things to expect.

Yes I agree that the question about the new tracks is a little redundant but I'm positive that over the next few months well be given more and more information about what's new and what's changed.

Let's hope the best is yet to come then and they're sandbagging 😉

• Haha 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, KiLLu12258 said:

give us coop for myteam/career mode pls. dont know why they put effort in splitscreen instead.

Even better give us BOTH. I'd love to do coop with a friend and at the same time see him /her on split screen (optional of course)

It would feel much more intimate and as team mates make working together so much more fun and easier. I think it would make a killer byline for the game :

For the first time ever in racing games :SPLIT SCREEN ONLINE CO-OP!!.

"Invite a friend into your virtual lounge and experience team work close up and personal!"

2 hours ago, Bicarda said:

What a terrible interview. This is just the trailer/press release in a different format on a different site. 

If only they'd let someone interview him that has actually played the game before and knows what to ask. 

@BarryBL Can I interview Lee Mather too, please? I think I have a lot more interesting questions to ask than the rubbish Mr. Hunt-Stevenson came up with.

I think the point of these early interviews is to talk about the released info and not about details (kind of like press releases I guess), so I wouldn't want to blame the interviewer as of yet. Stevenson seems to have been behind some of the F1 game articles since 2018 at least.

https://www.redbull.com/int-en/f1-2018-tips

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Posted (edited)

It's not unlike previous years; first some basic information about the major new game modes gets released during the first couple of weeks after the announcement which is probably all they're willing to share in articles and interviews at this point. Later on we'll get more specifics about handling, gameplay etc, probably once we've seen a trailer or some gameplay footage. I remember for 2018 we got a specific video about handling improvements by David Greco, hope to see something similar again. 

Edited by Worntoathread

Wait for the next trailers and news about F1 2020. I hope that multiplayer and career will be refined 

1 hour ago, UP100 said:

I think the point of these early interviews is to talk about the released info and not about details (kind of like press releases I guess), so I wouldn't want to blame the interviewer as of yet. Stevenson seems to have been behind some of the F1 game articles since 2018 at least.

https://www.redbull.com/int-en/f1-2018-tips

Then they shouldn't sell such an orchestrated advertisement as an 'interview'. The point of an interview should be to ask questions people actually want to know. Not just ask questions where they can give the most boring PR speeches about and that 10 times. In a good interview, the person who is interviewed does NOT know what is asked beforehand, and the person asking the questions knows what to ask, and gets to find out things we didn't already know. This is NOT good journalism.

This is a play. An act. And it's a farce to call it an interview then. 

Also 'early interview' 3 months before the game's release... just because they announce their game late doesn't make it an early interview.

Like I said I do hope Codemasters are sandbagging and they came with the boring stuff first and leave the best for last. 
But interviews like this so short before the new game comes out make it feel like there's literally nothing to talk about. 

• Agree 1

23 hours ago, Worntoathread said:

https://www.redbull.com/nz-en/f1-2020-codemasters-interview

Some interesting new details revealed about 'My Team' including the option to attract different sponsors and managing funds, dividing them between R&D upgrades and facilities etc. 

Sounds like management game 101 stuff, so far... I know some people love this sort of thing, but it doesn't sound like it will exactly be groundbreaking.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)

F1 2019 want an upgraded front wing? Spend 800 points on the aero design tree

F1 2020 want an upgraded front wing? Spend X on buying a wind tunnel, then 800 points on aero design tree 

Just another hoop to jump through, as for the 'facilities' will be same as motorhome & garage, identical stock backgrounds just with different team colours 

Edited by TomAAA
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)

We’ve always been conscious that not everyone who plays the game is massively time rich, so taking part in an entire season, while also doing full race weekends, is very time-consuming. To give players more choice and flexibility in how they play their seasons they can choose to do a 22, 16 or 10-race season. The player will have the option to pick which tracks they want to race in each season and can edit that list in each subsequent season. It will also help new players who might struggle on circuits such as Baku and Monaco. Players can now pick a season based on their skill level and add tougher circuits as they improve.

Has he an idea about how long the lockdown will last?! We are time rich at the present, a lot of us....

Or you can put together the season that actually transpires! 🙂

Does he mean "street circuits are pants"? Or does he mean, "we know these circuits actually make players vomit" 😄

Edited by steviejay69

The question that wasn't asked is if the classic cars of 2019 returns intact with the addition of the Schumacher add-ons?

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, FOneFanatic said:

The question that wasn't asked is if the classic cars of 2019 returns intact with the addition of the Schumacher add-ons?

No, on the official game purchase listing description, classic cars start at 1988, all cars before 1988 have been removed...

image.png.a5ea80ed64ee16735f6774121770d5f8.png

Edited by TomAAA
  • Thanks 1

On 4/28/2020 at 1:48 PM, BarryBL said:

Soooooo....

this means that beeing overtaken over grass will be the new standard online? More idiotic crash actions? 

everything new is difficult to learn, that's there's a thing called LEARNING! 

this is going to make online lobbies even worse then they already are...

• Agree 1