Sign in to follow this  

Hockenheim, Austria, Shanghai, and Bahrain

I keep experimenting with the right setups for four tracks, and still can’t land on anything that works.  Normally, I have a HEAVY AERO setup that wins anywhere I can maintain my speed throughout (15 tracks).  When I have a Grid start, I back down to a setup with a little less Aero and a little more Power.  And then a safer, POWER-led + AERO setup for Singapore and Monte Carlo, where as long as I drive OK, I get consistent results.

BUT, I’m baffled on how to approach Shanghai, Austria, Hockenheim, and Bahrain.

Hockenheim - Any momentum off the start is lost at turn 2 and turn 6.  And I’m constantly getting beat on the straight between them.  My HEAVY AERO setup doesn’t have enough opportunity to build speed and overtake in the rest of Sectors 2 and 3.

Austria - Very similar to Hockenheim.  Almost immediately, my opponent always speeds past me coming out of Turn 1.  I feel like AERO + LIGHTWEIGHT should get me through the corner with momentum, but I have no idea how others jump out ahead of me on the way to turn 3 so quickly.  Is it handling?  Power?  Brakes?  I hold my own on the straightaway (no gain no loss) and turn 3, but race for me is always decided coming out of turn 3.  You’d think my HEAVY AERO setup would let me catch up on turns 5-10, but nope.

Shanghai - What’s the best setup to thrive in the opening complex of turns 1-4 yet still keeps up on the straightaways and other turns later in the circuit?  My typical AERO setup would normally allow me to catch up, but Turn 11 causes me to lose any momentum gained in sector 2.  The opening complex and Turn 11 impact me the same way as Turn 2 does at Hockenheim and Turn 1 does in Austria and the final two straightaways are meaningless.

Bahrain -  Seems to be one giant circuit of all my least-favorite tuns from above.  I try more power and I lose ground on the straights and I try more Aero and Lightweight and I get beat out of the turns.

Other notes:

• Handling and Brakes:  My setups hardly use Brakes and I don’t deliberately add Handling, but it does get added incidentally via other parts.
  • My Power Heavy setups for Monte Carlo and Singapore are just too slow anywhere else

Other questions:

• When your car wobbles slightly between turns and straights, is this as a result of lack of handling, or is this just a game effect?  And does that wobble impact your speed?  
  • Do the Kurbs slow you down?  Sometimes my car can take a best line with or without the Kurb.  I know going past the Kurb (grass, paint, wall, sand) has a significant impact, but it’s hard to tell if the Kurbs do or not?

Thanks for any guidance (or just a fruitful discussion) that may come my way!

For me it's still max aero in most cases, followed by lightweight, handling, power and brake in that order.  If you want to get off the line and corner a little quicker without slowing down too much in the straights, substitute some aero with lightweight.

Check out CorsareNL's YouTube channel and watch how he drives around various tracks FAST.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6b_FiFFEyPS1KP0NaUSlNA

5 hours ago, mobileracingfan said:

For me it's still max aero in most cases, followed by lightweight, handling, power and brake in that order.  If you want to get off the line and corner a little quicker without slowing down too much in the straights, substitute some aero with lightweight.

Check out CorsareNL's YouTube channel and watch how he drives around various tracks FAST.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6b_FiFFEyPS1KP0NaUSlNA

Thanks for the link.  Will check out videos for those tracks.

So, are you suggesting lightweight will have a larger impact than Power for my troublesome turns?  Allows me to enter and exit with higher speed?  Vs. needing to accelerate at higher power coming out of them?

One way to start figuring it out is to do single quali runs and just set up the car differently. I did it at Barcelona. First I started with “0” then tried a power led setup, then aero, then handling etc. I then compared sector times. It’s not a 100% solution but helps 

14 hours ago, PLAYADELWES said:

Thanks for the link.  Will check out videos for those tracks.

So, are you suggesting lightweight will have a larger impact than Power for my troublesome turns?  Allows me to enter and exit with higher speed?  Vs. needing to accelerate at higher power coming out of them?

Power is not that important in this game.  I get by no problem at Elite 1 level with only 150-ish power.  Lightweight will give you more control at the corners so you don't go wide or slide out easily.  Just make sure you have enough handling to tackle the tighter turns.  Aero is the most critical.  You cannot win races without maxing or near maxing out aero.

14 minutes ago, mobileracingfan said:

Power is not that important in this game.  I get by no problem at Elite 1 level with only 150-ish power.  Lightweight will give you more control at the corners so you don't go wide or slide out easily.  Just make sure you have enough handling to tackle the tighter turns.  Aero is the most critical.  You cannot win races without maxing or near maxing out aero.

I disagree regarding the aero. I've recently been using a more balanced set-up, aero is only about 630ish (my max aero set-up is 974). It gives me much more stability and better turning in the corners and I'm winning plenty of races with it and going faster than my full aero set-up at a lot of tracks.   

I think it makes a huge difference if you have assists on or not. If not then I think you need aero and handling ramped up

1 minute ago, KMPkemp said:

I think it makes a huge difference if you have assists on or not. If not then I think you need aero and handling ramped up

It makes a huge difference what your settings are, pro settings are hugely faster than intermediate. But I race pro settings and I've found balanced is much faster for me. I've set quicker lap times over full aero. 

Totally agree on Aero.  Like I mentioned above, my car with 844 Aero (46% of overall setup) can constantly win at about 15 of the tracks no problem.  

I’ve started backing off Aero to add in lightweight and power to see how it does on the four problem tracks.  A little more lightweight and a little more power are helping a little bit.  But so is practice and repeating those turns over and over again.  Maybe I drop Aero a little for an alternative setup and instead of adding in Power, keep it at 150 and add in more lightweight and handling.  Also, sounds like I should start migrating over to pro.  Thanks everyone.

52 minutes ago, PLAYADELWES said:

Totally agree on Aero.  Like I mentioned above, my car with 844 Aero (46% of overall setup) can constantly win at about 15 of the tracks no problem.  

I’ve started backing off Aero to add in lightweight and power to see how it does on the four problem tracks.  A little more lightweight and a little more power are helping a little bit.  But so is practice and repeating those turns over and over again.  Maybe I drop Aero a little for an alternative setup and instead of adding in Power, keep it at 150 and add in more lightweight and handling.  Also, sounds like I should start migrating over to pro.  Thanks everyone.

Changing to pro settings will have the biggest affect on your perfromance, probably +1s a lap. But remember there will be an update next week and the assists will change again. 

Also you maybe braking more than you need.  Watch the CosareNL vids and pay attention to his braking.  Some corners you can drive flat out.  This shaves at least 1s off your lap time.

On 4/30/2020 at 9:11 AM, G1bby said:

Changing to pro settings will have the biggest affect on your perfromance, probably +1s a lap. But remember there will be an update next week and the assists will change again. 

THIS THIS THIS.  Changed the setting and started breaking all my track records out of the gate, and controlling the brakes around the turns myself (vs. the over-braking that the assist was clearly doing in certain places)