Scheduled Updates and BETA Shutdown - 06/07/2020 Read more... ×
F1 2020 | KNOWN KEY ISSUES | READ ME!!! Read more... ×

F1 2020 - Engine Sounds

Hi Everyone,

Hope you're all well and staying safe!

Just wanted to start a discussion regarding engine sounds for the upcoming game. Seeing as though the game is coming out relatively soon (July), I believe that these will probably already be finalised. However, I would love to pass on some constructive feedback on the car sounds of 2019. Kindly enough, someone already compiled a video comparing 2019 car sounds and how they sound in real life:

F1 2019 Game sounds vs Real life

The Mercedes sound in real life is a lot more smoother and not as harsh as it does in the game. I would love it if CM was to try and lets say replicate the real life sound as much as they could as it is quite unique. It doesn't sound much like the game. The downshifts in the game also don't sound quite as realistic. Sorry I may be coming across as vague but its quite hard to explain sounds. The Mercedes in real life has a much more higher pitched sound in comparison to the game which is very deep and throaty.

The Ferrari sound is quite realistic and I have to give kudos to CM where its due so thanks very much for quite a realistic sounding engine.  One thing I would add is the fact that there is an underlying turbo sound on the Ferrari so if you could add that. That would be Amazing.

The Renault sound's very very realistic so kudos to CM once again. One thing I would add is that the downshift sounds a bit unrealistic and quite computerised, so this is an area I believe we can improve in.

Last but not least The Honda Similar to the Mercedes, the Honda in real life sounds alot more smoother and not as rough as the game makes it out to be. One thing that it would be good to add is the pops and crackling on the downshift. This is something you have been successful doing with the Ferrari in the Game.

All in all the engine sounds are currently great but it would be amazing if you could take them to the next step, especially the Mercedes and the Honda. I would also like to understand that I completely understand that because of whats going in on the world right now it may have been hard for you to record the engine sounds or may have disrupted it, so if it has completely understand. Could you just take this into account for the future?

Also to add, I understand that the engine might sound the way it does due to where they place the Mic's on the car's. However, may I suggest CM put the Mic in the same place that FOM/FIA put the Mics for their onboard sounds (not sure if they already do) as this will maximise the realism.

@BarryBL would it be possible for you to pass this general feedback back to the team?

Thanks everyone !

Tomi

• Like 1

Codemasters record the real engine sounds at the Barcelona test, they were at the test a couple months back. As to the the Merc and Honda they actually do sound quite 'rough' in real life, I was at 2 GP's last year and many people commented about how rough the Merc and Honda engine cars actually sound. The 2019 Spanish GP qualifying onboard of Merc (I think its that one) shows just how aggressive sounding the car can be 

• Like 1

In my opinion F1 2019 has the worst engine sound from Renault and the best is from Ferrari and Honda. Mercedes has an engine somewhere in between. I think F1 2020 will improve the Renault and Mercedes engine

27 minutes ago, TomAAA said:

Codemasters record the real engine sounds at the Barcelona test, they were at the test a couple months back. As to the the Merc and Honda they actually do sound quite 'rough' in real life, I was at 2 GP's last year and many people commented about how rough the Merc and Honda engine cars actually sound. The 2019 Spanish GP qualifying onboard of Merc (I think its that one) shows just how aggressive sounding the car can be 

I think being at the gp/hearing the car as a spectator is different from hearing it Onboard. Hence why:

Spanish GP Pole 2019

in this video the sound is much smoother whilst I’m sure in the stands they sound more rough. The games sounds for the Mercedes and Honda are wrong if you compare them 

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

the engine sound is too low. In real life it sounds more aggressive and this aspect needs to be improved. You almost seem to feel a car that is not pushing even if you are actually pushing. Then you have to improve a lot while climbing, you don't hear the famous whistle. The ferrari sound of f1 2018 was very good if it weren't for the climb. We hope for this year to have sounds similar to reality both as delivery, as it feels when the car is climbing

Edited by mikyesposto95
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, BarryBL said:

Hi @Tomi1997

I can pass this onto our team no problem.

Thank you very much Barry. Much appreciated 👏🏾

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

So now that we have the first gameplay footage, what do we think of the audio? To me it sounds like an improvement over 2019, especially the downshifts.

Edited by Worntoathread

The 2020 footage, the engine sounds weak and artificial. Does not sound like an improvement 

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, Worntoathread said:

So now that we have the first gameplay footage, what do we think of the audio? To me it sounds like a proper improvement over 2019, especially the downshifts sound quite a bit meatier. 

My opinion about the engine sound:

It still sounds as if it is barely revving up, compared to real life onboard footages, just as last year in F1 2019. The pitch therefore needs to be slightly altered to be higher.

Regardless of that, there seems to be more detail to the overall sound, but it still needs lots of refinement.

Edited by TheEmpireWasRight
Spelling error
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)

@TheEmpireWasRight Yep totally agree, we both commented a lot last year as to how when you got into the gear change zone of gears 4,5,6,7 you would barely notice it was at max revs to change gear, its was almost monotone and looks like they have kept that annoying problem, that's why I complained when the original poster of this thread wants it to be 'smoother' as that will make this problem even worse

Edited by TomAAA
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, TomAAA said:

@TheEmpireWasRight Yep totally agree, we both commented a lot last year as to how when you got into the gear change zone of gears 4,5,6,7 you would barely notice it was at max revs to change gear, its was almost monotone and looks like they have kept that annoying problem

Agree with that as well, I posted about the same issue last year. While it's still there in this video I definitely hear some improvements as well though, it doesn't sound as artificial as 2019 and the downshifts now have some bite to them.

I also thought the Honda was the worst sounding engine in last years' game so I'm looking forward to hearing the others.

Edited by Worntoathread
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

@BarryBL This should be the engine sound benchmark, a simple assetto corsa mod got the real sound so right the whines, rumbles pops, correct rev sound etc.....

Edited by TomAAA
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, TomAAA said:

@BarryBL This should be the engine sound benchmark, a simple assetto corsa mod got the real sound so right the whines, rumbles pops, correct rev sound etc.....

Except of the upshifts, the sound of this mod is nearly perfect. Especially the pitch is spot on.

Thanks for sharing!

Edited by TheEmpireWasRight
  • Agree 2

9 hours ago, TomAAA said:

Totally agree.. Small Company they are with limited resources unfortunelly and they done a awesome job 😍😍

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, TomAAA said:

If compared to this (exhaust mic):

The mods engine sound is nearly perfect.

If compared to this (sidepod / T-Cam mic):

Codies engine sound is a bit closer to the sidepod / T-Cam mic, except of the wrong overall pitch (engine pitch needs to be higher) and weak growl (growl needs to be more aggressive in low revs) / weak downshifts (sounds too soft at the moment) / weak as well as wrongly tuned turbowhine (needs to have more depth to it in terms of being able to distinctively hearing it, and in high revvs the turbowhine should not get a too high pitch). At the moment, the Ferrari engine sound in F1 2019 the game has 1 big issue, imo: turbowhine has a way too high gradual increase in pitch, especially after the 12k rpm mark, whilst the engine pitch itself is way too low (engine pitch at 12300rpm should be audible at 11500rpm), but in real life it's the opposite.

This is only a comparison of the Ferrari engine sound alone. The Renault, Honda and Mercedes engine sound, all have their own problems, but the general issue with all engine sounds is that the engine pitch needs to be higher, more detailed low rev sounds (pops, growls, turbowhine) etc.

Will try to do some comparisons to the other engine manufacturers too.

Hope Codemasters audio team have done a good job for F1 2020. F1 2019 had the most realistic sound package of all time, but the pitch was wrong, the turbowhine was also not audible for some (Mercedes, Honda) and for others it was too pronounced (Ferrari). They have a good base to build upon, and only need to finetune accordingly.

Posted (edited)

I think Codemasters made a very good work in f1 2019 with the sound. Ferrari and Renault engine are very realistic, but yeah, Mercedes and Honda engine are not that realistic. I think the most realistic sound of the Honda engine is in Assetto Corsa. Codemaster should put that engine sound system in f1 2020. And @BarryBL sorry for the ping, but i hate a thing in the f1 games. In qualifying and in the race, when there is an AI in front of me, even if there are blu flags they never move and they keep their line. Please share that at the developer team because its very frustraiting. Again sorry for disturbing.

Edited by F1Alonso14

Posted (edited)

I'd just like to note that I think FOM's onboard audio may not be realistic (as they've been doing tests with the microphone placements and mixing in the past) and the placement of the microphone may not give us a realistic representation on what the car sounds like when you're sitting in it for instance. 

I don't like how people say "x isn't realistic" when comparing it to the onboard audio, something that is made to sound as good as possible for the viewers, even if it wouldn't be realistic in itself.

It seems to be 2017 when FOM did some microphone changes that are certainly noticeable:

Old

New

The old and new sound completely different! Which is why I think we should be looking for something else than what the onboard sounds like.

Edited by UP100
  • Agree 2

On 4/29/2020 at 3:08 PM, Tomi1997 said:

"would it be possible for you to pass this general feedback back to the team?"

We in audio read the forums 🙂

• Like 3

I knew you'd reply! 😛 

3 minutes ago, issueskid said:

It's also worth pointing out that we've done some new work this year from the audio side to bring on board audio closer in line with the broadcast footage. You'll find this as a toggle option in game.

👀

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, issueskid said:

Now is probably also a good time to reiterate our job in terms of engine audio.

Every single season we attend at least the Barcelona pre-season test and work directly with multiple teams every year.
All engine audio is recorded on board and externally and we build our bundles from this source.
I can't go into much detail but we work closely with a handful of teams who have fed back how accurate our on board audio is and this is what we aim for.
We've also been speaking with audio guys at FOM about their recording process to ensure we're capturing with a set-up as similar as they are.

There's also no "copy and paste" year on year as the "internet" would have you believe 🙂. That means this year's Honda for example is not last year's Honda, it is a brand new recording taken from the actual car.

It's also worth pointing out that we've done some new work this year from the audio side to bring on board audio closer in line with the broadcast footage. You'll find this as a toggle option in game.

Thank you for your reply. Quick question, is this engine sound in the Zandvoort clip the Honda engine sound that will be in F1 2020? I initially thought that the engine sound was a placeholder (as with the car) and might have been the engine for the multiplayer car? 

I know it must be frustrating with all the debates about the engine sounds every year and appreciate it can’t be easy when there’s constant comparisons between what we see from onboard footage and audio that’s been recorded from pre season testing. Appreciate the hard work and really appreciate you reaching out on the forums to explain the process and fans concerns 👍

3 minutes ago, stephensmattlee said:

Thank you for your reply. Quick question, is this engine sound in the Zandvoort clip the Honda engine sound that will be in F1 2020? I initially thought that the engine sound was a placeholder (as with the car) and might have been the engine for the multiplayer car? 

This is the bundle that will be used on the Red Bull, yes. It is an actual on board recording of the Red Bull.

• Thanks 2