Jump to content

F1 2020 - Engine Sounds

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, issueskid said:

Now is probably also a good time to reiterate our job in terms of engine audio.

Every single season we attend at least the Barcelona pre-season test and work directly with multiple teams every year.
All engine audio is recorded on board and externally and we build our bundles from this source.
I can't go into much detail but we work closely with a handful of teams who have fed back how accurate our on board audio is and this is what we aim for.
We've also been speaking with audio guys at FOM about their recording process to ensure we're capturing with a set-up as similar as they are.

There's also no "copy and paste" year on year as the "internet" would have you believe 🙂. That means this year's Honda for example is not last year's Honda, it is a brand new recording taken from the actual car.

It's also worth pointing out that we've done some new work this year from the audio side to bring on board audio closer in line with the broadcast footage. You'll find this as a toggle option in game.

 

Thanks for clarifying. I really do appreciate the fact you guys are replying to us @BarryBL . Thank you so much for the continuous interaction. Your work does not go unnoticed! So based on what you said @issueskid, will we get to pick different iterations of onboard Sounds? Or will this be discussed later? 

Edited by Tomi1997
edited because I forgot to ask the question haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, issueskid said:

Now is probably also a good time to reiterate our job in terms of engine audio.

Every single season we attend at least the Barcelona pre-season test and work directly with multiple teams every year.
All engine audio is recorded on board and externally and we build our bundles from this source.
I can't go into much detail but we work closely with a handful of teams who have fed back how accurate our on board audio is and this is what we aim for.
We've also been speaking with audio guys at FOM about their recording process to ensure we're capturing with a set-up as similar as they are.

There's also no "copy and paste" year on year as the "internet" would have you believe 🙂. That means this year's Honda for example is not last year's Honda, it is a brand new recording taken from the actual car.

It's also worth pointing out that we've done some new work this year from the audio side to bring on board audio closer in line with the broadcast footage. You'll find this as a toggle option in game.

 

Wow...they are alive!! Reaction from the audio team 😱

Do you guys know how important your team are???

I would say 50% of the total game. No good sound,  50% no good game. 

I did make a audio remark in the past, but you audio guys did never react..

 

 

Edited by GioProductions
text
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty much an impossible job for audio to get exactly 'right' as what even IS right? If you mean from the drivers point of view it would have to be horribly muffled to be realistic. To get an on board mic to sound accurate do you sim to reproduce the best possible quality available with high end condenser mics that could only work in practice due to their size and weight? Or do you try to accurately try to copy the sound the TV broadcast uses whether it's good or bad by just using the exact same equipment in the same recording positions? There is also the sound that spectators experience, completely different with a full range of frequencies apparent.

To me as long as the audio is recorded on the actual correct car /powerplant /gearbox/ tire combination (hopefully with one for slicks in the dry and one with wets in the wet) then im totally happy. Id actually prefer audio that was better than the TV broadcast if possible even if it's mixed to sound like the car is in a studio(!) Games are supposed to be games and assault your senses with the coolest sounds possible. Preferably in DTX 7 channel surround if possible (😎)!

I'd be totally blown away if I could hear each wheels tire screeches coming from my 4 major surround speakers!

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tomi1997 said:

Thanks for clarifying. I really do appreciate the fact you guys are replying to us @BarryBL . Thank you so much for the continuous interaction. Your work does not go unnoticed! So based on what you said @issueskid, will we get to pick different iterations of onboard Sounds? Or will this be discussed later? 

We have a toggle on/off option that alters the mix slightly.

  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, GioProductions said:

Wow...they are alive!! Reaction from the audio team 😱

Do you guys know how important your team are???

I would say 50% of the total game. No good sound,  50% no good game. 

I did make a audio remark in the past, but you audio guys did never react..

 

Sorry, I must have missed that thread. I'm actually quite active on the forum every year towards the end of development of each F1 game and I try to reply to as many audio related threads as possible, providing everybody is polite and constructive.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, issueskid said:

We have a toggle on/off option that alters the mix slightly.

Thanks for this so much. Sorry to ask so many questions but what’s the difference between the two mixes & is it noticeable ? 
 

and final question is the Mercedes engine different to last year?

 

thats all I’m asking don’t worry haha 

 

thanks a lot once again 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, issueskid said:

Now is probably also a good time to reiterate our job in terms of engine audio.

Every single season we attend at least the Barcelona pre-season test and work directly with multiple teams every year.
All engine audio is recorded on board and externally and we build our bundles from this source.
I can't go into much detail but we work closely with a handful of teams who have fed back how accurate our on board audio is and this is what we aim for.
We've also been speaking with audio guys at FOM about their recording process to ensure we're capturing with a set-up as similar as they are.

There's also no "copy and paste" year on year as the "internet" would have you believe 🙂. That means this year's Honda for example is not last year's Honda, it is a brand new recording taken from the actual car.

It's also worth pointing out that we've done some new work this year from the audio side to bring on board audio closer in line with the broadcast footage. You'll find this as a toggle option in game.

 

but how is it possible that the revs were so wrong in f1 2019, it totally felt wrong to drive the car at the max as the sound was way to low/deep.

I mean most of your effort is worth nothing if such a thing feels so wrong at the end.

 

btw i love that you guys are so open and answering questions here.

Edited by KiLLu12258
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, issueskid said:

Sorry, I must have missed that thread. I'm actually quite active on the forum every year towards the end of development of each F1 game and I try to reply to as many audio related threads as possible, providing everybody is polite and constructive.

I am happy to see a reply from the audio team, so thanks for that!

Are you able to comment on my topic here above regarding the 2019 game audio? It can have effect also for the 2020 game, so would appreciate a reply.

Thanks 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, issueskid said:

Now is probably also a good time to reiterate our job in terms of engine audio.

Every single season we attend at least the Barcelona pre-season test and work directly with multiple teams every year.
All engine audio is recorded on board and externally and we build our bundles from this source.
I can't go into much detail but we work closely with a handful of teams who have fed back how accurate our on board audio is and this is what we aim for.
We've also been speaking with audio guys at FOM about their recording process to ensure we're capturing with a set-up as similar as they are.

There's also no "copy and paste" year on year as the "internet" would have you believe 🙂. That means this year's Honda for example is not last year's Honda, it is a brand new recording taken from the actual car.

It's also worth pointing out that we've done some new work this year from the audio side to bring on board audio closer in line with the broadcast footage. You'll find this as a toggle option in game.

 

So... you get to hang out with the teams... and the cars... every year...

 

DO YOU NEED AN ASSISTANT?!  :classic_biggrin:

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well... Honda 2020 sounds like they're built in a war zone!😍 That sound is just EARGASM😍

 

  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, UP100 said:

I'd just like to note that I think FOM's onboard audio may not be realistic (as they've been doing tests with the microphone placements and mixing in the past) and the placement of the microphone may not give us a realistic representation on what the car sounds like when you're sitting in it for instance. 

I don't like how people say "x isn't realistic" when comparing it to the onboard audio, something that is made to sound as good as possible for the viewers, even if it wouldn't be realistic in itself.

It seems to be 2017 when FOM did some microphone changes that are certainly noticeable:

Old

 

New

The old and new sound completely different! Which is why I think we should be looking for something else than what the onboard sounds like.

Hey mate,

thanks for your reply and what do you mean exactly by we should be looking for something else than what the onboard sounds like?

 

i believe that if, since the tail end of the 2017 season FOM have been using the microphone in the same place as the 2nd video you sent, then shouldn’t the game be using it in the exact same area aswell in order to improve realism? Reason being is because the sounds that you guys use haven’t been used on onboards since 2017? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, AlexTT said:

Well... Honda 2020 sounds like they're built in a war zone!😍 That sound is just EARGASM😍

 

Are you by any chance a fan of the classic Ford GT?

❤️😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, sloppysmusic said:

Are you by any chance a fan of the classic Ford GT?

❤️😎

I am a fan of ALL classics! My hearts pumps so hard from an old V8 american muscle, V12 ferrari, but my heart is American Classics all the way, that gets my blood pumping.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, AlexTT said:

I am a fan of ALL classics! My hearts pumps so hard from an old V8 american muscle, V12 ferrari, but my heart is American Classics all the way, that gets my blood pumping.

The Plymouth Cuda is awesome 😍😍.. The Dodge Challenger too.. In F1 i love so much the Ferrari of 2004 and the V12 of 1995 aswell.. The Honda V8 of 2006 rocks.. Good Times.. Unfortunelly we won t listen them again 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, CarlosSantos87 said:

The Plymouth Cuda is awesome 😍😍.. The Dodge Challenger too.. In F1 i love so much the Ferrari of 2004 and the V12 of 1995 aswell.. The Honda V8 of 2006 rocks.. Good Times.. Unfortunelly we won t listen them again 

I have a 1968 Pontiac with a 350 that I built a few years back.  Pretty much stock, with headers, but the block and heads are from a 96 Vortec, so she puts out about 330 hp. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/1/2020 at 3:46 PM, issueskid said:

It's also worth pointing out that we've done some new work this year from the audio side to bring on board audio closer in line with the broadcast footage. You'll find this as a toggle option in game.

Also, for those curious, this "Broadcast Mode" audio option was turned ON in the Zandvoort video. 🙂 

All the capture I've done so far has had it enabled.

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could you explain the difference activated / not activated?

Thanks

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/2/2020 at 3:55 AM, issueskid said:

Sorry, I must have missed that thread. I'm actually quite active on the forum every year towards the end of development of each F1 game and I try to reply to as many audio related threads as possible, providing everybody is polite and constructive.

Thanks for your input in this thread. I think at low speed you can hear very much that it is a Honda. It is hard to tell with the music on, but I guess my question or comment is, the raspy/crackly downshifts are a bit more pronounced on the real life broadcast than the broadcast setting on the Zandvoort lap. Is that something you feel might be made pronounced before release? And did the actual real life audio recordings show up these sounds as much as the broadcast during winter testing?

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, DrDraken said:

I have a 1968 Pontiac with a 350 that I built a few years back.  Pretty much stock, with headers, but the block and heads are from a 96 Vortec, so she puts out about 330 hp. 

Wooowww 😍😍😍😍 i can imagine the awesome noise he Does mate.. Great!!! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, MaranelloRS7 said:

Thanks for your input in this thread. I think at low speed you can hear very much that it is a Honda. It is hard to tell with the music on, but I guess my question or comment is, the raspy/crackly downshifts are a bit more pronounced on the real life broadcast than the broadcast setting on the Zandvoort lap. Is that something you feel might be made pronounced before release? And did the actual real life audio recordings show up these sounds as much as the broadcast during winter testing?

We noticed a little improvement in the Honda Engine sound this Year.. Myself i had listened some new effects and a much more Hard running engine against the previous F1.. But they should rock much more louder at higher RPM S 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/30/2020 at 4:47 PM, TomAAA said:

@BarryBL This should be the engine sound benchmark, a simple assetto corsa mod got the real sound so right the whines, rumbles pops, correct rev sound etc.....

 

 

OMG this gave me goosebumps. I think f1 2019 engine sounds are too “flat” or dull in the game, too artificial. This audio from AC is dynamic and very similar to the one we get from tv! 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MrHawk said:

OMG this gave me goosebumps. I think f1 2019 engine sounds are too “flat” or dull in the game, too artificial. This audio from AC is dynamic and very similar to the one we get from tv! 

I had said that too mate.. Handling model gameplay and In the Engine Sounds Assetto Corsa its the fairway the bestest and most realistic game ever 😃😃

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MrHawk said:

This audio from AC is dynamic and very similar to the one we get from tv! 

Most likely because it's ripped from onboard footage and not actually recorded 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, UP100 said:

Most likely because it's ripped from onboard footage and not actually recorded 😁

As the saying goes the proof is in the pudding? Who cares what ingredients you used and how you prepare them if someone else's cake just tastes better? Of course you can't just record a car on TV then paste the audio over a dim car. There has to be a lot of separation so that you are actually recording the sound each gear makes then join these together seamlessly to create a realistic overall sound that's in sync with the actual driving. If that WAS 'borrowed' from TV footage I'd love to know the source as they did a fantastic job not only with the gear syncing but the audio equalization too.

Just because you have been doing the same thing year in and out doesn't mean YOU should KEEP doing it forever. I personally welcome original outside input. It's like letting someone else do all the work and take all the risks yet everyone learns from it.

I'm sure Codies sound engineers are doing exactly what they were assigned to do. Professionally too no doubt. Maybe after the next game has been released Codies could actually poll all their customers to find out exactly what their user base want to hear while racing? Providing say 3 clips and asking for votes would be easy to do. Doing the same thing for lots of game functions would be very interesting. What do people look for in the next game? The forums are mainly populated by us die hards and the occasional newcomer. Some world wide polling where everyone who has a game code would be very revealing.

 

  • Agree 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, sloppysmusic said:

As the saying goes the proof is in the pudding? Who cares what ingredients you used and how you prepare them if someone else's cake just tastes better? Of course you can't just record a car on TV then paste the audio over a dim car. There has to be a lot of separation so that you are actually recording the sound each gear makes then join these together seamlessly to create a realistic overall sound that's in sync with the actual driving. If that WAS 'borrowed' from TV footage I'd love to know the source as they did a fantastic job not only with the gear syncing but the audio equalization too.

Just because you have been doing the same thing year in and out doesn't mean YOU should KEEP doing it forever. I personally welcome original outside input. It's like letting someone else do all the work and take all the risks yet everyone learns from it.

I'm sure Codies sound engineers are doing exactly what they were assigned to do. Professionally too no doubt. Maybe after the next game has been released Codies could actually poll all their customers to find out exactly what their user base want to hear while racing? Providing say 3 clips and asking for votes would be easy to do. Doing the same thing for lots of game functions would be very interesting. What do people look for in the next game? The forums are mainly populated by us die hards and the occasional newcomer. Some world wide polling where everyone who has a game code would be very revealing.

 

Oh actually the description says this...

image.png.ce13f60d4d4940dca75b2934e9df8ea6.png

Could it be that they also just took the audio bundle from the game as well...?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×