Jump to content

F1 2020 - Engine Sounds

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, UP100 said:

Oh actually the description says this...

image.png.ce13f60d4d4940dca75b2934e9df8ea6.png

Could it be that they also just took the audio bundle from the game as well...?

Well spotted! If they indeed did do that then Codies would be well within their rights to ask for raw copies of the modified audio and then use it themselves in the next game. The dev quite definitely owns all the assets within a game as well as any assets altered by 3rd parties. No need to be litigious either. Good job mate we'd like our assets back now please mate. Or just give the guy a job!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, UP100 said:

Most likely because it's ripped from onboard footage and not actually recorded 😁

Nothing wrong with that! This is the way it should sound in the game. I would pump up my volume everytime i start the game :classic_biggrin: missing that with the official game

But, i am curious what the sound team comes up with this years game on F1 2020. It looks like the sound in the game is in my opinion a underrated part. Try to race with volume 0 and see how inmerse the gameplay is, even how good it could be..

But we will have to wait and see..

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GioProductions said:

Nothing wrong with that! This is the way it should sound in the game. I would pump up my volume everytime i start the game :classic_biggrin: missing that with the official game

But, i am curious what the sound team comes up with this years game on F1 2020. It looks like the sound in the game is in my opinion a underrated part. Try to race with volume 0 and see how inmerse the gameplay is, even how good it could be..

But we will have to wait and see..

As I previously mentioned, I don't agree that the game should sound like how it sounds in TV broadcasts (as even that can change from seasons to even races at times!) but as accurate as possible to what you'd hear if you'd be there 🙂 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, LILLHELM said:

Could you explain the difference activated / not activated?

Thanks

Activated is when you go to spotify or YouTube.. Deactivated is the default game sound 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, UP100 said:

As I previously mentioned, I don't agree that the game should sound like how it sounds in TV broadcasts (as even that can change from seasons to even races at times!) but as accurate as possible to what you'd hear if you'd be there 🙂 

I prefer much more the pure realism as possible that we can receive and enjoy it.. And by the way i have a big doubt that anyone here had asked.. We have 10 Teams right? Why the reason in every year we only have 4 engine sounds in the game?? You should be aware that Renault Official Team and Mclaren s Team they have two separatelly different sounds.. In the game they are the same!!! Same for Mercedes and his clientes and same for RedBull and now AlphaTauri!! Why?? I am curious about that 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, CarlosSantos87 said:

Activated is when you go to spotify or YouTube.. Deactivated is the default game sound 

Unfortunately not very constructive

17 minutes ago, CarlosSantos87 said:

I prefer much more the pure realism as possible that we can receive and enjoy it.. And by the way i have a big doubt that anyone here had asked.. We have 10 Teams right? Why the reason in every year we only have 4 engine sounds in the game?? You should be aware that Renault Official Team and Mclaren s Team they have two separatelly different sounds.. In the game they are the same!!! Same for Mercedes and his clientes and same for RedBull and now AlphaTauri!! Why?? I am curious about that 

In my opinion, this is a legitimate question and I am also interested.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/1/2020 at 8:11 PM, GioProductions said:

I am happy to see a reply from the audio team, so thanks for that!

Are you able to comment on my topic here above regarding the 2019 game audio? It can have effect also for the 2020 game, so would appreciate a reply.

Thanks 👍

I remember when i had F1 2018 and I did race at Monaco, the car sound did change when I entered the Monaco tunnel, and when Jeff did talk to me when I was in the tunnel, his sound did had inteference. This 2 audio things made Monaco race extra special in F1 2018. 

Monaco tunnel always has tunnel reverb, perhaps what you found in 2019 is a bug. We have never intentionally removed it and it will be present in 2020. The race engineer no longer has radio interference based on distance from the car or location on track. We removed this after talking with teams and the FOM audio guys as the interference is no longer relevant as it used to be. Interference is now quite minimal due to improvements in technology with team radios so while our interference was "gamey" it was not realistic.

-1 for the Audio (programmers) of F1 2019.

Sorry you feel that way. Just to clarify, there are audio designers and audio programmers. These are two very different roles so for design decisions such as radio interference feel free to blame me rather than our programming guys 🙂

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will there be a setting that only regulates the volume of the engine?

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, LILLHELM said:

Will there be a setting that only regulates the volume of the engine?

I don't understand your question. Can you elaborate?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

@issueskid

 

There should be 4 types of different engine sound mixes in the game, which all are accurate to their respective camera angle:

 

1.) TV-Onboard Mix, the same sound we can hear in real life onboard footages, like Pole Laps etc., for the ingame T-Pod Camera.

 

2.) Onboard Mix, the same sound the drivers can hear in their cockpit when on track, for the ingame Cockpit Camera (possibly Helmet Camera) 

 

3.) Offboard Mix, the same sound as in the onboard mix, but with a little bit more reverb to give the sound more room, for the ingame Chase Camera or the Front Wing Camera.

 

4.) TV-Replay Mix, the same sound as seen on TV for the various trackside cameras on live TV, for the ingame Replay Camera.

 

Either way, imo, Codemasters have done a good job for the past 2 years in terms of audio quality, but the accuracy for the ingame T-Pod Camera and Cockpit Camera was not as good as it could have been, especially in F1 2019:

 

-Overall Pitch of the Engine Sound was too low, and needed to be higher by a slight amount. Imo, Engine Sound Pitch at 12.300rpm should have been audible at around 11.500rpm - 11.800rpm, to make the pitch more accurate to how it sounded on real life Video footages.

-TurboWhistle for the Ferrari had a way too high pitch when revving past 12.000rpm, whilst in reality the TurboWhistle of Ferrari never reached that pitch at all.

-TurboWhistle for the Mercedes, during lower revs, was almost nonexistent in the game, whilst in reality it is one of the unique sounds that distinctively stands out.

-In Cockpit Camera, the sound is too clear, in reality the sound of air blowing violently and overshadowing the overall engine sound with a muffled tone would be more realistic and preferable.

Edited by TheEmpireWasRight
Added new info, Spelling error, Added tags

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TheEmpireWasRight said:

Are these proposed audio options a possibility for future titles?

There's no plans to include these. There's several issues with giving this level of control.

Firstly, you've picked out something like 10 sliders. Who's to say everybody wants those 10? Where do we draw the line? Do we end up adding more and more because individuals want more control over the mix? Do we end up replicating the literally thousands of sliders we have in our mix in game? What if "wind and rain" is too broad for a user and they want "wind" and "rain" sliders? What about the person who then wants to adjust the chassis rain mix independently from the track rain or garage rain? Even giving a broad set of slider is problematic, why have we given the option to adjust ambience but not the option to adjust garage mechanics? It's never ending.

On top of that it would make debugging any issues players have very difficult. What if somebody starts reporting issues about missing audio and we first have to rule out all mix options? Maybe they've turned their dets slider down to zero and forgot about it?

If you look at most games out on the market they all have the same sliders. Master, sfx, music, VO are the most common and still give some level of control.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, TheEmpireWasRight said:

@issueskid

Overall Pitch of the Engine Sound was too low, and needed to be higher by a slight amount. Imo, Engine Sound Pitch at 12.300rpm should have been audible at around 11.500rpm - 11.800rpm, to make the pitch more accurate to how it sounded on real life Video footages.

-TurboWhistle for the Ferrari had a way too high pitch when revving past 12.000rpm, whilst in reality the TurboWhistle of Ferrari never reached that pitch at all.

-TurboWhistle for the Mercedes, during lower revs, was almost nonexistent in the game, whilst in reality it is one of the unique sounds that distinctively stands out.

-In Cockpit Camera, the sound is too clear, in reality the sound of air blowing violently and overshadowing the overall engine sound with a muffled tone would be more realistic and preferable.

this thing must be absolutely improved in F1 2020, in reality the cars don't go overspeed in the gear change. @issueskid

Edited by mikyesposto95
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, issueskid said:

I remember when i had F1 2018 and I did race at Monaco, the car sound did change when I entered the Monaco tunnel, and when Jeff did talk to me when I was in the tunnel, his sound did had inteference. This 2 audio things made Monaco race extra special in F1 2018. 

Monaco tunnel always has tunnel reverb, perhaps what you found in 2019 is a bug. We have never intentionally removed it and it will be present in 2020. The race engineer no longer has radio interference based on distance from the car or location on track. We removed this after talking with teams and the FOM audio guys as the interference is no longer relevant as it used to be. Interference is now quite minimal due to improvements in technology with team radios so while our interference was "gamey" it was not realistic.

-1 for the Audio (programmers) of F1 2019.

Sorry you feel that way. Just to clarify, there are audio designers and audio programmers. These are two very different roles so for design decisions such as radio interference feel free to blame me rather than our programming guys 🙂

Thanks for the reply, i really appreciate it!

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, issueskid said:

There's no plans to include these. There's several issues with giving this level of control.

Firstly, you've picked out something like 10 sliders. Who's to say everybody wants those 10? Where do we draw the line? Do we end up adding more and more because individuals want more control over the mix? Do we end up replicating the literally thousands of sliders we have in our mix in game? What if "wind and rain" is too broad for a user and they want "wind" and "rain" sliders? What about the person who then wants to adjust the chassis rain mix independently from the track rain or garage rain? Even giving a broad set of slider is problematic, why have we given the option to adjust ambience but not the option to adjust garage mechanics? It's never ending.

On top of that it would make debugging any issues players have very difficult. What if somebody starts reporting issues about missing audio and we first have to rule out all mix options? Maybe they've turned their dets slider down to zero and forgot about it?

If you look at most games out on the market they all have the same sliders. Master, sfx, music, VO are the most common and still give some level of control.

Understandable, it's too much work and would create a lot of issues for troubleshooting. But, would premade audio mixes...

 

-Engine Mix (where our own cars engine sound far overpowers all the other sounds of the audio)

-Driver Mix (where we get a muffled engine sound, higher wind and weather volumes and a louder engineer sound to simulate what the drivers hear inside their helmets)

-Tyre Mix (where we get a more pronounced Tyre audio mix, with turned down volume on Engine sound)

-Default Mix (basically the CM Audio Teams sound mix  how they want the game to be audible to the players)

 

Etc. Etc. Etc.

 

...not be a middle ground, for this issue?

 

In this case, you'd have your fixed audio mixes, where the issue of having too many variables would be lowered quite dramatically, whilst still giving the players more options in the game.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, issueskid said:

I don't understand your question. Can you elaborate?

I mean something like this:

 

30 minutes ago, TheEmpireWasRight said:

 

-Engine Mix (where our own cars engine sound far overpowers all the other sounds of the audio)

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is the way project cars handled the audio mix. Can't remember off hand if pcars 2 was any different.

Project-CARS-2-Digital-Manual-06g-audio_orig.png

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, sloppysmusic said:

This is the way project cars handled the audio mix. Can't remember off hand if pcars 2 was any different.

Project-CARS-2-Digital-Manual-06g-audio_orig.png

I agree.. With these kind of sliders options can improve the overall quality of Sound.. Because if you want to listen more the engine (more louder) you simply can put and mix with sliders bars aswell.. Great example 🙏🙏

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/1/2020 at 1:54 PM, UP100 said:

I'd just like to note that I think FOM's onboard audio may not be realistic (as they've been doing tests with the microphone placements and mixing in the past) and the placement of the microphone may not give us a realistic representation on what the car sounds like when you're sitting in it for instance. 

I don't like how people say "x isn't realistic" when comparing it to the onboard audio, something that is made to sound as good as possible for the viewers, even if it wouldn't be realistic in itself.

It seems to be 2017 when FOM did some microphone changes that are certainly noticeable:

Old

 

New

The old and new sound completely different! Which is why I think we should be looking for something else than what the onboard sounds like.

Hi @issueskid,

thanks so much for replying to us in this forum. I really really do appreciate it but I think the videos above really do kind of emphasise what I’m talking about so I’d love to get your views on it. 
 

As you can hear from the first video. Earlier in the 2017 season, the tv broadcast was using a different microphone from the 3rd video around Brazil. From the 3rd video, the force India sounds way more higher pitched Because from that point onwards, FOM used a different microphone or placed it somewhere else. 

Now, my question is, seeing as though the engine noises from 2017 regarding the Mercedes are relatively the same to their 2020 car. Is it going to sound more like the 3rd video (force India around Brazil)? As opposed to the first video because FOM has placed their microphones in the same place since the 3rd video in 2017 which is what we hear on tv? 

the first video is literally spot on what we hear on f1 2019 Mercedes but in 2020 will it sound more similar to the 3rd video that’s more higher pitched?

apologies if I haven’t come across well. It’s really hard for me to explain haha 

appreciate the reply In advance 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Tomi1997 said:

Hi @issueskid,

thanks so much for replying to us in this forum. I really really do appreciate it but I think the videos above really do kind of emphasise what I’m talking about so I’d love to get your views on it. 
 

As you can hear from the first video. Earlier in the 2017 season, the tv broadcast was using a different microphone from the 3rd video around Brazil. From the 3rd video, the force India sounds way more higher pitched Because from that point onwards, FOM used a different microphone or placed it somewhere else. 

Now, my question is, seeing as though the engine noises from 2017 regarding the Mercedes are relatively the same to their 2020 car. Is it going to sound more like the 3rd video (force India around Brazil)? As opposed to the first video because FOM has placed their microphones in the same place since the 3rd video in 2017 which is what we hear on tv? 

the first video is literally spot on what we hear on f1 2019 Mercedes but in 2020 will it sound more similar to the 3rd video that’s more higher pitched?

apologies if I haven’t come across well. It’s really hard for me to explain haha 

appreciate the reply In advance 

They should be much more realistic than actually they are in the F1 2019 game

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/3/2020 at 2:48 PM, UP100 said:

Most likely because it's ripped from onboard footage and not actually recorded 😁

If it works, it works!

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guys I was watching the new 2020 gameplay in Spain and I noticed that engine sounds odd when the car passes by the tv camera. It seems the Doppler effect modulates too much the engine noise after passing the camera, the pitch sounds too low IMO. 😕 I dunno maybe it’s just me!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×