F1 2020 - Engine Sounds

Overall the sound is better 2020! Is it still in progress?

4 minutes ago, LILLHELM said:

Overall the sound is better 2020! Is it still in progress?

As with the videos we have released that state "Work in Progress", our work is in progress constantly yes 🙂.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

The engine sounds really need to be improved, the sounds on rfactor is more acceptable than official game

1 hour ago, issueskid said:

As with the videos we have released that state "Work in Progress", our work is in progress constantly yes 🙂.

Great job mate. Was great to hear the sounds. The Renault sounds absolutely amazing!

i have no clue how you could make the merc, Honda and Ferrari sound just as realistic as the Renault but kudos!

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

For the Mercedes sound, F1 2018 Mercedes was good; just need to add the high pitched sound of the exhaust. The sound will be perfect.

To give you an idea of what the  community need, take a look in asseto corsa F1 2019 sound. The sound of the engine is conform to real life

This is an example:

Mercedes 

RedBull:

Edited by ZixClon
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, issueskid said:

At this stage of the game. Seeing as though sound is something you get early on. How much changes from this build to the release build? 

really interested to get an insight 

I'm confused. Is that really you Matt Gaetz recording and mixing the sounds for the new game?!

😉🤔🤣

@issueskid Just heard this and I gotta say that's some major improvement over 19, it sounds great! For the first time you can really tell they're actual recordings, love the aggression in the downshifts and the exhaust roars from tv. This will seriously increase my fun of driving them, great job 🙂

if I have some criticism, I'd say the Mercedes engine's woosh/screeching noise under downshifts sounds a little weird and over the top on the right channel, it really stands out, without that noise being so apparent in the mix I'd say the Mercedes sounds great as well. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Worntoathread said:

@issueskid Just heard this and I gotta say that's some major improvement over 19, it sounds great! For the first time you can really tell they're actual recordings, love the aggression in the downshifts and the exhaust roars from tv. This will seriously increase my fun of driving them, great job 🙂

if I have some criticism, I'd say the Mercedes engine's woosh/screeching noise under downshifts sounds a little weird and over the top on the right channel, it really stands out, without that noise being so apparent in the mix I'd say the Mercedes sounds great as well. 

Agree 100%. Good advice. Hopefully with the work in progress they can refine it more. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ZixClon said:

For the Mercedes sound, F1 2018 Mercedes was good; just need to add the high pitched sound of the exhaust. The sound will be perfect.

To give you an idea of what the  community need, take a look in asseto corsa F1 2019 sound. The sound of the engine is conform to real life

This is an example:

Mercedes 

RedBull:

Totally agree with you mate.. But we have to congratulate Codemasters for seeing to me a big improvement in Engine Sounds 

In F1 2019 the Ferrari engine sounded like a vacuum cleaner that suffered from hiccups after swallowing helium. Massive improvement. 

But I noticed in one of the videos that you can now hear very clearly when the cars in front of and behind you go over the kerbs. Don't know if I like it, yet. When the cars around you touch the kerbs, it sounds like YOU touched them, even if you are in the middle of the track. Might prove to be distracting, no? 

Massive, massive improvement this year. I'm very happy :classic_smile:

The ONLY thing that seems to be missed each year is the real life engine sound from the lights at the race start. It's as if going from neutral to first gear the engine has to take a drep gulp and then goes back to normal once it's ready to hit second gear, it's something I've not heard being replicated.

• Agree 1

Oh and spectating camera, the engine sounds are far too quiet. I've been to Silverstone (last time was 2018) and it was deafening, whereas it's quite the opposite in the F1 2019 game.

Posted (edited)
On 5/1/2020 at 9:54 AM, UP100 said:

The old and new sound completely different! Which is why I think we should be looking for something else than what the onboard sounds like.

I'm not so sure I agree in this case.  Like for me, I prefer playing F1 with the "Onboard TV Pod Offset" view so I believe that the engine sound in this particular view should be accurate or closely accurate to what you would hear when you're watching F1 on television.  I understand different microphones are used which accounts for the difference in pitch in the sounds and whatnot but even if the audio team could use one of those microphones to record the Ferrari, Mercedes, Honda and Renault engine sounds while driving in the "Onboard TV Pod Offset" camera view with a great deal of accuracy then that would suffice.

Edited by Slick_Rick_
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, Slick_Rick_ said:

I'm not so sure I agree in this case.  Like for me, I prefer playing F1 with the "Onboard TV Pod Offset" view so I believe that the engine sound in this particular view should be accurate or closely accurate to what you would hear when you're watching F1 on television.  I understand different microphones are used which accounts for the difference in pitch in the sounds and whatnot but even if the audio team could use one of those microphones to record the Ferrari, Mercedes, Honda and Renault engine sounds while driving in the "Onboard TV Pod Offset" camera view with a great deal of accuracy then that would suffice.

I think you should check the reclmmended comment that starts with Broadcast Mix 😉

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

Here's a great audio comparison between 19 and 20. What a difference, some of last year's engines like the Honda just sound silly when directly compared to the new game. Loving it, major step up 🙂

(Recommend playing this on speakers or headphones if you can, there's a lot of detail and low-end that gets lost from your phone)

Edited by Worntoathread
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

I will reiterate after hearing the onboard engine sounds for the coming F1 2020 however, that they are an improvement but the downshifts are a little suspect to me.  I've read that the audio is always a work in progress, which is awesome news but is there any way to get the downshifts to sound like in the video below :

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Slick_Rick_ said:

I will reiterate after hearing the onboard engine sounds for the coming F1 2020 however, that they are an improvement but the downshifts are a little suspect to me.  I've read that the audio is always a work in progress, which is awesome news but is there any way to get the downshifts to sound like in the video below :

Thanks for sharing.

The unique Mercedes Turbowhistle Sound is so crisp and distinct in real life video footages.

Sadly Codemasters has never been able to recreate it faithfully til this day. Even in the Preview footage of F1 2020 the game, the Mercedes engine sound is still missing this Turbowhistle. In the game it is not as audible or pronounced as it should be 

Hopefully the audio team of Codemasters will make some improvements before release, or at least during the dev cycle, for as long as F1 2020 is being actively supported with patches and updates.

#MakeMercedesEngineSoundGreatAgain

(Maybe it's because Codemasters possibly changes up the audio mix differently, compared to the audio mix of TV Broadcasters.)

Edited by TheEmpireWasRight
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, TheEmpireWasRight said:

Thanks for sharing.

The unique Mercedes Turbowhistle Sound is so crisp and distinct in real life video footages.

Sadly Codemasters has never been able to recreate it faithfully til this day. Even in the Preview footage of F1 2020 the game, the Mercedes engine sound is still missing this Turbowhistle. In the game it is not as audible or pronounced as it should be 

Hopefully the audio team of Codemasters will make some improvements before release, or at least during the dev cycle, for as long as F1 2020 is being actively supported with patches and updates.

#MakeMercedesEngineSoundGreatAgain

(Maybe it's because Codemasters possibly changes up the audio mix differently, compared to the audio mix of TV Broadcasters.)

Really hope that they fix the downshift tones for the Mercedes. It kind of sounds very computerised in comparison to the Renault. Is there any way you guys can review this? @issueskid

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Tomi1997 said:

Really hope that they fix the downshift tones for the Mercedes. It kind of sounds very computerised in comparison to the Renault. Is there any way you guys can review this? @issueskid

I agree with you and it's not just for Mercedes but for Ferrari, Honda and Renault too.  The audio is still a work in progress so one can assume the audio team is consistently reviewing the engine sounds and modifying them as such to increase accuracy 🙂

The Renault engine sound is basically spot on but so was the Ferrari engine sound in 2018 and it got worse in 2019 and seems to have gotten worse now for 2020. Why is that? The engine sound hasn't changed that much the past 3 years.

25 minutes ago, LILLHELM said:

Here is a comparison of original vs. game

That's actually not too bad imho. The only noticable difference is the lack of noise that, I assume, originates from the air?

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Schorchi said:

That's actually not too bad imho. The only noticable difference is the lack of noise that, I assume, originates from the air?

When the video started I honestly thought it had the real audio on for a bit. Still a clear difference when they switched, but I'd agree that's mostly noise/EQ. They really got the tonal quality spot on this year.

1 hour ago, LILLHELM said:

Here is a comparison of original vs. game

I notice a comparison under acceleration but I didn't notice any comparison when downshifting.  Seen F1 2020 game videos and the downshifts need work but again, it's a work in progress so we may yet to see improvements here 🙂