F1 2020 - Engine Sounds

Codemaster make their life difficult some time:

Sound onboard Ferrari 2020

Sound onboard F1 2018 codemaster:

What do you think? Whos is closer?

Posted (edited)

I'm not so sure I would compare the engine sound from the 2018 Ferrari and the 2020 Ferrari.  Different chassis and engine specs, 2020 Ferrari is much better a sound, just sayin' 😄

Edited by Slick_Rick_
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)

ZixClon not even close the 2020 sound much better in every way!

Edited by Cap10

Posted (edited)

from what i heard so far the overall engine notes tones sound lot better and closer to reality.can really notice the difference between each PU suppliers, well done good job on that.

but there are other aspects that need improvements, 

at lower gears 1-2-3-4 off throttle the engine should have more growl and become slightly louder.  

why is the engine doing this high pitch winning when shifting very quickly and late this need's to go take that out so annoying.

also why do the Merc, Ferrari make this odd PUUURRRRR rumbling on downshifts lower rpm it like a separate sound that kicks in and sound very strange and out of place very simillar to the honda but much more pronounced. it has been in all PU since 2018 it was toned down a little in 2019 and in 2020 renault seems to be the only one to not do this and it sounds the best on downshifts comapared to the others.

can clearly hear this PUUURRRR rumbling effect @ 3:05. i would prefer if this could be removed and use the engine tone it self just as the renault.

Edited by Cap10

Unfortunately it doesn't seem like there's been much improvement to the car audio for replays or spectating. It still just sounds very weak and missing a lot of the turbo sounds etc. Compared to the video below when they enter turn 1 there's a lot missing.

Posted (edited)

I search many sound onboard on some F1, i was chocked when i ear the sound of Ferrari engine on this video. Staff sound member is not wrong at all, its maybe us who get it wront. It seem it depending where you record the sound of the engine. You dont have the same engine sound if you are in front or behind.

Raikkonen onboard 2019

Its like a plane engine when take off, if you are in front of the engine like in this video

The sound can be really différent if you are behind. Its the same 777'300ER

Edited by ZixClon

@issueskid

I think the sounds are a massive improvement in this year. It’s the same like from 2017 to 2018. In 2018 they were also very good, while there were pretty inaccurate and to low in 2017 and 2019. I just hope that it stays like this and not will be in a bad way again in 2021.

Also, is there a possibility that we are getting some Audio patches/fixes here and there that makes the engine even more accurate after the release, when the real season started/ will the sound be different after the day one patch? The Honda sound is the best example every year. In overall it’s Good especially what we are seeing from the current gameplays. But: I think, the rough sound on the low speed and gearing should be more aggressive. You can listen to that here:

• Agree 1

I don't know how they record the sound but if we check a driver using a driver's eye in real life the sound is identical to in game. Sadly the sound is very bad compared to tv pod. If you want realistic they got it right .. Since most player play on tv pod we should have the sound of tv pod instead of the inside cockpit sound.

On 5/22/2020 at 10:41 AM, SASColfer said:

Unfortunately it doesn't seem like there's been much improvement to the car audio for replays or spectating. It still just sounds very weak and missing a lot of the turbo sounds etc. Compared to the video below when they enter turn 1 there's a lot missing.

Yeah the trackside sounds on F1 games are awful. Literally sound nothing like they do in real life.

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Punition said:

I don't know how they record the sound but if we check a driver using a driver's eye in real life the sound is identical to in game. Sadly the sound is very bad compared to tv pod. If you want realistic they got it right .. Since most player play on tv pod we should have the sound of tv pod instead of the inside cockpit sound.

What exactly is the sound of the TV Pod? What you hear on TV while watching TV Pod footage is not what it would sound like if you actually sat on top of the car. The sounds are recorded somewhere else and just overlapped with the TV Pod image. Otherwise "wind" would be pretty much the only thing you'd hear.

@issueskid thanks for clearing some thing up in the audio side of things. I have one question/request, though. For several years now I feel the audio balance is very much off when driving in the vicinity of other cars. I drive with the cockpit view and often when there's a car right behind me or slightly alongside, the other car's engine volume sounds louder than that of my own car. It means that it suddenly becomes very hard to drive, especially in terms of accelerating in a heavy traction zone. Is this something you could take a look at?

I recently listened to Martin Brundle's Beyond the Grid podcast, and found it interesting when he talked about the cars and the sounds they make and what it feels like inside an F1 car. Specifically, in terms of noise, he said that while driving a car it sounds very different from the inside. Within the cockpit you have sounds that you can't distinguish from the outside, like some mechanical sounds coming from the engine, the gearbox etc. It's something that usually isn't heard in cockpit footage either - as well as being totally absent from the game.

Edited by janbonator

@janbonator its always one we're looking at and tweaking. In the past we've had mixes where the AI is a lot quieter when wheel to wheel but this can then be difficult to know if you're about to be overtaken or not. We will continue looking at this though.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, issueskid said:

@janbonator its always one we're looking at and tweaking. In the past we've had mixes where the AI is a lot quieter when wheel to wheel but this can then be difficult to know if you're about to be overtaken or not. We will continue looking at this though.

That's very good to know, thanks! I can imagine it being no easy task as players have so many different kinds of audio systems. The experience changes a lot between headphones and integrated speakers - which leads me to thinking it would be most convenient to have some audio mix sliders available for the players! Maybe next year? :classic_ninja:

Anyways, good job with the new sounds, looking forward to the new game.

1 minute ago, janbonator said:

That's very good to know, thanks! I can imagine it being no easy task as players have so many different kinds of audio systems. The experience changes a lot between headphones and integrated speakers - which leads me to thinking it would be most convenient to have some audio mix sliders available for the players! Maybe next year? :classic_ninja:

Anyways, good job with the new sounds, looking forward to the new game.

Ha, well this is also a point we discuss a lot and I'm currently looking at different levels of control.

There are several problems with offering multiple faders to control different aspects of the game though. First of all we have thousands of points of mix control in our project down to individual assets so where do you draw the line? People will always want more or less control so even if we offered say 8 faders to control different groups of sounds somebody is then going to ask why they can't have a fader to control gear shifts. On top of this when bugs are reported it becomes increasingly difficult to narrow down issues when players could have altered the mix hugely from how we intended the game to be heard. That's not to say we wont reconsider some audio options but there's always problems associated with this. If you look at most "big" games on the market you'll also find there's generally parity between their options and "music", "sfx", "vo" seem to be the common controls. 

Your suggestion of balancing the AI cars independently from the player car is a nice idea though, I think we actually did include this a few years back so its not out of the realms of possibility to make a return at some point in the future.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, issueskid said:

Ha, well this is also a point we discuss a lot and I'm currently looking at different levels of control.

There are several problems with offering multiple faders to control different aspects of the game though. First of all we have thousands of points of mix control in our project down to individual assets so where do you draw the line? People will always want more or less control so even if we offered say 8 faders to control different groups of sounds somebody is then going to ask why they can't have a fader to control gear shifts. On top of this when bugs are reported it becomes increasingly difficult to narrow down issues when players could have altered the mix hugely from how we intended the game to be heard. That's not to say we wont reconsider some audio options but there's always problems associated with this. If you look at most "big" games on the market you'll also find there's generally parity between their options and "music", "sfx", "vo" seem to be the common controls. 

Your suggestion of balancing the AI cars independently from the player car is a nice idea though, I think we actually did include this a few years back so its not out of the realms of possibility to make a return at some point in the future.

Heh, it's obvious why you work on these issues and I don't. Fascinating though. Personally I'm very happy with the sound and if I just had a slider to adjust the sounds between my car and other cars (AI as well as multiplayer) there would be nothing more to ask for.

There's so many interesting things and processes that go into making these games. Would love to know more but I'll refrain from taking more of your time. Some kind of Q&A on the forums with some devs would be fantastic once the game is launched and things start to settle down.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, janbonator said:

Heh, it's obvious why you work on these issues and I don't. Fascinating though. Personally I'm very happy with the sound and if I just had a slider to adjust the sounds between my car and other cars (AI as well as multiplayer) there would be nothing more to ask for.

There's so many interesting things and processes that go into making these games. Would love to know more but I'll refrain from taking more of your time. Some kind of Q&A on the forums with some devs would be fantastic once the game is launched and things start to settle down.

Just to reiterate, I'm not saying you don't have valid points. We want to improve year on year and getting these things right is a careful balance and I'm always open to taking on criticism from the community, provided everybody is polite about it 🙂. But yes, as mentioned we are constantly assessing the amount of player control over the audio.

• Thanks 1

@issueskid Any plans to rework the trackside engine sounds (replays etc), is there any specific reason they're noticeably less detailed than you might expect when watching the real footage?

Also this thread can sound quite negative at times but from the 2020 videos I've seen and compared to where the onboard sounds came from a few years ago, the sound is actually very good. Top work on that.

24 minutes ago, SASColfer said:

@issueskid Any plans to rework the trackside engine sounds (replays etc), is there any specific reason they're noticeably less detailed than you might expect when watching the real footage?

Also this thread can sound quite negative at times but from the 2020 videos I've seen and compared to where the onboard sounds came from a few years ago, the sound is actually very good. Top work on that.

We're certainly looking at broadcast audio and there are technical changes that I'd like to make here but these are not trivial (just ask our audio coders about the tasks we've given them 😁).

6 hours ago, issueskid said:

We're certainly looking at broadcast audio and there are technical changes that I'd like to make here but these are not trivial (just ask our audio coders about the tasks we've given them 😁).

Great stuff, appreciate the response.

Just heard the engine sounds from FP1 & FP2 and the Ferrari sounds sooooooooo realistic. Exactly the same to the game! @issueskid well done. In fact all of the engine sounds are crazy realistic! You guys are amazing. Well done 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Hey there!

It's July 7th, 02:13 AM here in Rio de Janeiro, and I'm finally already able to play the Deluxe Edition.

Landed here after searching what means the new Broadcast Mix setting and after reading all these six pages and all the team feedback, I can only say I'm so glad I pre-ordered F1 both last year and now again.

Different from other companies, it's pretty awesome to see all this official feedback here and this level of attention to consumers, mainly in a time where gaming industry upsets us so often.

Wish all the best for you, guys!

Edited by viniciusrsouza
  • Like 1

On 5/1/2020 at 2:54 PM, UP100 said:

I'd just like to note that I think FOM's onboard audio may not be realistic (as they've been doing tests with the microphone placements and mixing in the past) and the placement of the microphone may not give us a realistic representation on what the car sounds like when you're sitting in it for instance. 

I don't like how people say "x isn't realistic" when comparing it to the onboard audio, something that is made to sound as good as possible for the viewers, even if it wouldn't be realistic in itself.

It seems to be 2017 when FOM did some microphone changes that are certainly noticeable:

Old

New

The old and new sound completely different! Which is why I think we should be looking for something else than what the onboard sounds like.

I don't really care how the car sound's when you sit in it, I wan't to hear what I hear on TV, that is what I like. So give us that

On 7/7/2020 at 6:13 AM, viniciusrsouza said:

Hey there!

It's July 7th, 02:13 AM here in Rio de Janeiro, and I'm finally already able to play the Deluxe Edition.

Landed here after searching what means the new Broadcast Mix setting and after reading all these six pages and all the team feedback, I can only say I'm so glad I pre-ordered F1 both last year and now again.

Different from other companies, it's pretty awesome to see all this official feedback here and this level of attention to consumers, mainly in a time where gaming industry upsets us so often.

Wish all the best for you, guys!

Thanks for the comments. While we obviously can't implement everybody's feedback we do try to sift through comments and make improvements year on year based on what the fans are asking for. Always happy to reply and give a little insight into our decision making (within reason).

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, issueskid said:

Thanks for the comments. While we obviously can't implement everybody's feedback we do try to sift through comments and make improvements year on year based on what the fans are asking for. Always happy to reply and give a little insight into our decision making (within reason).

I have a buttkicker Gamer 2, but i have in F1 2020 that only the Right wheels of my F1 car do really rumble when touching the curbs, for example in Austria and Zandvoort. If i touch the Curbs with my Left wheels, it doesnt rumble

Can it be that the sound (that causes the Buttkicker Gamer 2 to rumble) for the Right wheels are different then the one on the Left side?

I am trying to understand why the Buttkicker Gamer 2 react differently on the Right/Left wheels

Ps4 Pro and Broadcast Mix in ON. I don't use Sim Hub or anything  just the Buttkicker connecteded to the Buttkicker Amplifier and then with a optical output converter to the Ps4 Pro

Thanks

Edited by GioProductions
info

8 minutes ago, GioProductions said:

I have a buttkicker Gamer 2, but i have in F1 2020 that only the Right wheels of my F1 car do really rumble when touching the curbs, for example in Austria and Zandvoort. If i touch the Curbs with my Left wheels, it doesnt rumble

Can it be that the sound (that causes the Buttkicker Gamer 2 to rumble) for the Right wheels are different then the one on the Left side?

I am trying to understand why the Buttkicker Gamer 2 react differently on the Right/Left wheels

Ps4 Pro and Broadcast Mix in ON. I don't use Sim Hub or anything  just the Buttkicker connecteded to the Buttkicker Amplifier and then with a optical output converter to the Ps4 Pro

Thanks

That is interesting, there is no difference between RHS and LHS but the buttkicker works by being fed low frequencies so the broadcast mix might be affecting this. I'll stick in a bug and see if we can investigate this.

1 minute ago, issueskid said:

That is interesting, there is no difference between RHS and LHS but the buttkicker works by being fed low frequencies so the broadcast mix might be affecting this. I'll stick in a bug and see if we can investigate this.

If i need to test anything, just let me know ok?

• Like 1