F1 2020 - Engine Sounds

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, issueskid said:

Thanks for the comments. While we obviously can't implement everybody's feedback we do try to sift through comments and make improvements year on year based on what the fans are asking for. Always happy to reply and give a little insight into our decision making (within reason).

Is it possible for you to add a little more detail and aggressiveness to make the Custom Multiplayer's car Generic engine a bit more exciting/interesting sounding. It always sounds a bit disappointing compared to the real life engines. Since its a generic one you have to create can you make it a bit more interesting. Some more aggression/pop would make it better I feel

Edited by TomAAA

Posted (edited)
On 5/15/2020 at 5:02 PM, TheEmpireWasRight said:

Thanks for sharing.

The unique Mercedes Turbowhistle Sound is so crisp and distinct in real life video footages.

Sadly Codemasters has never been able to recreate it faithfully til this day. Even in the Preview footage of F1 2020 the game, the Mercedes engine sound is still missing this Turbowhistle. In the game it is not as audible or pronounced as it should be 

Hopefully the audio team of Codemasters will make some improvements before release, or at least during the dev cycle, for as long as F1 2020 is being actively supported with patches and updates.

#MakeMercedesEngineSoundGreatAgain

(Maybe it's because Codemasters possibly changes up the audio mix differently, compared to the audio mix of TV Broadcasters.)

@issueskid

@BarryBL

Now that the vanilla F1 2020 game is out, and we finally got the product to test and play, here's my opinion on the engine sound and audio mix:

-Renault engine sounds the most accurate. But the downshifts are too harsh/ aggressive, whereas the real life TV onboard footage makes it sound much more smooth and soft. Either way, the pitch is perfect, the growling is spot on and the Turbo Whistle Whine is almost a 1:1 representation. Great work with that one!

Real life:

F1 2020 the game:

-Ferrari engine sounds nearly perfect, but it needs a bit more of the Turbo Whistle Whine in lower revs, especially linked to each downshift. Also, it seems as if the 8th gear has a way too long gear ratio in the game, making the top end sound of 8th gear (running 300+kmh) too low pitched compared to real life TV footages.

Real life:

F1 2020 the game:

-Honda engine sounds a bit too low pitched and it's missing the distinct Turbo Whistle Whine when the revs are gradually shifting towards the 12k mark (the real life version of the Honda Turbo Whisle Whine sounds almost similar to a LMP car or even a Formula E car, or maybe even a Pod-Racer from Star Wars). Also, the growling at lower revs could be made a bit more aggressive.

Real life:

F1 2020 the game:

-Mercedes engine sound is the worst in the game, imo. It is still missing its unique Turbo Whistle Whine. Also, there is somehow a very unrealistic, as well as over exaggerated, "whoosh" sound effect when downshifting at high rpms, that either needs to be cut away completely or toned down significantly. Additionally, similar to the Ferrari engine, the gear ratio of 8th gear seems to be way too long and makes the top end sound way too low pitched as a result.

Real life:

F1 2020 the game:

The audio mix is quite nice, and the environmental reverberation with running next to walls etc. is a cool touch to the overall experience. But, the "opponents cars" are a bit too loud compared to my own car. Same issue can be found with "opponents" running over rumble strips / Kerbs, which is also a bit too loud compared to my own car. 

Hope these issues will be fixed during the active lifetime of F1 2020!

Edited by TheEmpireWasRight
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

@issueskid 

Buttkicker issue SOLVED!!

I did contact the buttkicker service desk and explain my issue.

They did reply with a working solution for my issue:

If you do Not use the output of the optical to feed the sound system, then you could plug both RCAs into the BKAmp, one would actually connect to the 'Output', which is ok Only in this situation.

20200716_220509.jpg

Edited by GioProductions
Extra info
  • Like 1

The upshifts of the Honda Engine should be like that:

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, Jaketa said:

The upshifts of the Honda Engine should be like that:

The downshifts and the growling are awesome in this mod, and it would be great if Codemasters could try to replicate that.

Though on the other hand, the upshifts and general tone, as well as pitch of this mod is a bit off, imo.

Thanks for sharing.

Edited by TheEmpireWasRight
  • Agree 1

So the life-like sound quality went down alot from 2018-2019 (of tires sliding). Not sure of 2020. So I really would like to know why is it difficult to produce reality sound fx ie: engine, tires etc....is it not possible to have hi-def recording loop to play at a certain time..? No hate here, just curious why its so rare to have in-game.

On 5/17/2020 at 11:25 AM, Worntoathread said:

When the video started I honestly thought it had the real audio on for a bit. Still a clear difference when they switched, but I'd agree that's mostly noise/EQ. They really got the tonal quality spot on this year.

i think the ferrari engine sound good, but the 8th gear is by far the worst possible. the sound that gets louder and quieter is terrible

• Agree 1

On 8/2/2020 at 4:10 PM, TECSMITH said:

So the life-like sound quality went down alot from 2018-2019 (of tires sliding). Not sure of 2020. So I really would like to know why is it difficult to produce reality sound fx ie: engine, tires etc....is it not possible to have hi-def recording loop to play at a certain time..? No hate here, just curious why its so rare to have in-game.

Al engines that we use in game are authentic PUs recorded with the teams themselves and updated yearly. We've also recently recieved feedback from a team who have said the audio is very authentic to what it sounds like while being in the car.

As for the skids, peels etc... these are also taken from real recording sessions. We used to use larger than life skid sounds and they tended to sound quite fake, we ditched them and now use authentic assets take from wheels actually losing grip on various surfaces.

Our aim with the audio design is to always try and be as authentic as possible.

• Like 3