F1® 2020 | Zandvoort Hotlap

2 minutes ago, massa88 said:

that is not on keyboard

Oh i know. it just looks like it very much.

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, VirtuaIceMan said:

rFactor 2 team has just released the updated Zandvoort for free. Competition is good/fun to compare!

https://www.studio-397.com/2020/05/new-zandvoort/

Also just to mention that no one is confused, the track was originally released in 2017 (although it didn't even have rain support back then?). It seems to also be work in progress according to the Steam Workshop page.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1107038453

Edited by UP100

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, UP100 said:

Also just to mention that no one is confused, the track was originally released in 2017 (although it didn't even have rain support back then?). It seems to also be work in progress according to the Steam Workshop page.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1107038453

rF2 has rain since it came out in 2012/2013 😅
Also I'm quite sure the track had rain when it came out since I did some sessions with rain there.

The old layouts are completed, it's showed as WIP because at the moment it's an alpha that will be updated every time the real track is updated. Due to the covid outbreak grandstands and infrastructures are still incomplete, and S397 will update the track every time they update it irl

Edited by TheWalker17

Just now, TheWalker17 said:

rF2 has rain since it came out in 2012/2013 😅

The old layouts are completed, it's showed as WIP because at the moment it's an alpha that will be updated every time the real track is updated. Due to the covid outbreak grandstands and infrastructures are still incomplete, and S397 will update the track every time they update it irl

image.png.8585040eb018c8d47ec9ef74894ddd75.png

I was talking about the track, not the game.

4 hours ago, VirtuaIceMan said:

rFactor 2 team has just released the updated Zandvoort for free. Competition is good/fun to compare!

https://www.studio-397.com/2020/05/new-zandvoort/

How does it compare to the ACC version? Because the ACC version is great and laser scanned.

Posted (edited)

Regarding the night/rain, etc - I think it was mostly that the track was heavily WIP time ago and it was mostly suitable for dry daylight racing (otherwise probably missing/incorrect textures or bad lighting happened, not sure completely about that). Last year it was strongly updated to the (by then) the newest changes done, and now the track has the proper 2020 layout in the game. Though no DRS zones set up, or at least they weren't proper active in the Test Day I did. Correction - DRS zones ARE included, just needed to do some adjustments.

It's currently in "Alpha", as it will be hopefully proper updated as time goes on:

If you look at the real track today, it is certainly ready to race, but all the surrounding buildings, grandstands and other infrastructure are very much still under construction. Our pre-production release today reflects that. We’re trying to remain close to the current state of the track and will keep updating it in the months to come as it evolves towards the upcoming Dutch GP.

In the end, it will be an interesting comparison between Codemasters version and this one.

Edited by mantazzo
DRS zone information update.

On 5/1/2020 at 4:41 AM, sloppysmusic said:

It does look really cool when the drivers head turns. The best view of all is when you have a helmet view cam and your view itself looks to the apex before each corner. It's kind of game changing as it feels very immersive but also helps beginners or people new to a track when to turn in. The best implementation imo is in project cars where you can control how much the view turns in. There is an annoying view of helmet lower part of the screen but meh I can deal with that. I'm sure you guys have a similar view in cockpit? Dangit can't remember. Anyway no matter how and why you included if the moment was super cool. Cool is where cockpit view needs to be rather than having a reputation of being for pros only. You ARE the driver when in cockpit view if only we could make it more beginner friendly. Adding some kind of bonus peripheral vision would be kinda cool. Thanks for the video anyway mate!

Due to the lack (this year too it looks like) of VR, I've bought and use TRACK IR 5...it gets a few days to set it up and get used to it but it's so damn immersive.. Take a look. 

https://youtu.be/HdnhoJB5agE

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Alastre said:

Due to the lack (this year too it looks like) of VR, I've bought and use TRACK IR 5...it gets a few days to set it up and get used to it but it's so damn immersive.. Take a look. 

Even with a helmet cam, fantastic!

2 hours ago, Alastre said:

I've seen it used in flight sims for many years. I'd be interested to know how comfortable it would be at high speeds. Whether there is a nausea factor during long sessions. Please keeo us posted!

1 hour ago, sloppysmusic said:

I've seen it used in flight sims for many years. I'd be interested to know how comfortable it would be at high speeds. Whether there is a nausea factor during long sessions. Please keeo us posted!

I've used it for more than an year now, I was a bit sick the first two days as you have to set it up correctly (angles, speed, smoothness etc) and get used to it. But I can't drive without it anymore now...

• Agree 1

On 4/30/2020 at 2:54 PM, PJTierney said:

Yay, it's finally out 🙂 

I got to help out the F1 team by driving the laps for this video, then passed the capture onto the video team who did what they do best 😎

Some tips for when you all get to drive it yourselves in July:

• The thing I felt most when driving the circuit was the elevation change. The circuit leaps and dips in places you wouldn’t expect from an aerial view, making for a real good driving experience.

• The banking is the standout feature of the circuit and really needs to be experienced. Words and video are one thing but driving the two banked turns is another.

• Turn 3 (the banked hairpin at Hugenholtzbocht) will make or break your lap. It’s important to get the right line through Turn 2, brake early and turn in early, as it’s very easy to drift wide on the exit, especially if you’re using a steering wheel.

• Turn 7 is much like Pouhon at Spa, a fearsome high speed downhill section. With the right setup it may even be flat-out, but on my runs I was lifting slightly and shifting down to 7th gear.

• Turn 13 is the most amazing turn of the entire course, a steeply-banked turn unlike anything else on the calendar. Get it right and you’ll slighot out onto the main straight.

• It may take a while to get the hang of this circuit, so when you get your hands on F1 2020 I highly advise you load up a Free Practice session and do the Track Acclimatisation programme a few times.

For those curious, driven on a Fanatec CSL Elite base, Formula V2 rim, and all assists off. Took about 20 laps to learn the layout and get a somewhat decent lap in.

Have to say I agree, its an extremely fun circuit to drive. Its definitely a favourite of mine now. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

It's really nice to see the effort you took into making the new Zandvoort circuit. I can imagine it must have been very difficult with the lack of resources available from the real circuit. And you have done an amazing job to give it a nice F1 feeling with the extra grand stands, the F1 sponsoring (I really like the addition of Heineken's no alcohol before driving sponsoring, nice job there) and all the flags (Tho i have to admit the white-orange flags between T12-T13 and after T14 are a bit too much imo). It works really well and makes it standout as an F1 game compared to other sims which just mimic the standard facilities around the track without the temporary F1 circus.

However, with that said, I think there are some issues which require your attention to make the model of this track more accurate:

• Kerbstones: Some of the kerbstones look rather big, which has some influence in how you experience the track. Some kerbs on the inside look very high, especially when you compare it with the onboard of Verstappen's first lap on the new circuit 

To further explain:
-Some kerbs on the inside have the right size, but are a bit too high imo (like inside T1, T10, T13). 
-inside kerb of T12 has wrong shape. Here you use the kerb that goes up, but irl this kerb is completely flat (just like exit kerbs on the outsides). More like the inside kerb of T9 which in this game is pretty spot on actually.
-Kerbs on the outside at exits seems rather large on horizontal level (like exit T3, T8, T10, T12, T13). Especially the size of the red-white blocks make it look large and i think they should be smaller. Imo the size of these kerbs make the circuit on itself look very small and narrow, while on real-life onboards I honestly dont experience this extreme. 
-The kerbs with short apexes (inside T8 & T11) are way too high and has kind of the wrong shape. Now these kerb unsettle the the car quite a lot while irl you could take a lot of this kerb. 
image.thumb.png.ab4d4400a69577e410a407ae1b31566a.png

• In the game (and the F1 mapguide video), the DRS activation is only on the start-finish straight, activated just after T14. 
    However, the whole idea of making this turn a banked turn was to enable DRS trough this corner (without banking the corner was already flat out). 
    I'm really curious what the reasoning for you is to only enable drs on the straight and not in T14. Is this from information you got from F1 itself (and F1 didnt even want to enable DRS trough T14), Or is it something you thought would work better (for example the game mechanics not making it possible to make that turn with DRS open).

• In my opinion the worst mistake you made and a very big detail: The banking of T3.
    You made this turn with equal banking (banking the same over the entire width of the track). However, the real life circuit has made parabolic banking through T3, which means that on the inside at the kerb the track is flat and the banking increases the wider you go from the apex. Just look at this comparison of game vs real-life and a schematic which illustrate the difference.
    image.thumb.png.f35935316a62156418f5246bfaad5bb7.png
    1c7534_3a407f3b55cd4dde9a94acebc55edda8~mv2.webp

Now if you can improve these points which i mentioned here, I think you have a track which is very spot on (Especially T3 needs to be redone, because imo this looks kind of amateurish with lack of research).

Edited by Mennoo22
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Agree 1

https://www.essentiallysports.com/f1-esports-codemasters-f1-2020-game-has-a-big-problem-that-needs-to-be-fixed/

Speaking to F1 Maximaal, Zaffelli revealed several discrepancies in the game.

“Although it is still a work in progress, a number of things do not correspond to reality”

It is especially clear to me that the corners are noticeably less dramatic than is the case in the real world. The old, unchanged corners are pretty much the same, but the Hugenholtz bend, for example, is much steeper in real life.

“In the game, the corner even looks somewhat flat. This is very different to what the drivers will experience in real life,” 

“It is what makes the circuit such a big challenge for the drivers – a lot of corners are blind

“I assume they did not receive an update since the track was rebuilt. Dromo (Zaffelli’s company) was not approached for that, but it does not alter the fact that we would like to help to get the circuit in the most realistic way possible,”

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

29 minutes ago, Mennoo22 said:

• In my opinion the worst mistake you made and a very big detail: The banking of T3.
    You made this turn with equal banking (banking the same over the entire width of the track). However, the real life circuit has made parabolic banking through T3, which means that on the inside at the kerb the track is flat and the banking increases the wider you go from the apex. Just look at this comparison of game vs real-life and a schematic which illustrate the difference.

This looks a quite a bit different, that needs fixed so it looks more like the real track, that will affect lap times also 

• Agree 1

53 minutes ago, Mennoo22 said:

It's really nice to see the effort you took into making the new Zandvoort circuit. I can imagine it must have been very difficult with the lack of resources available from the real circuit. And you have done an amazing job to give it a nice F1 feeling with the extra grand stands, the F1 sponsoring (I really like the addition of Heineken's no alcohol before driving sponsoring, nice job there) and all the flags (Tho i have to admit the white-orange flags between T12-T13 and after T14 are a bit too much imo). It works really well and makes it standout as an F1 game compared to other sims which just mimic the standard facilities around the track without the temporary F1 circus.

However, with that said, I think there are some issues which require your attention to make the model of this track more accurate:

• Kerbstones: Some of the kerbstones look rather big, which has some influence in how you experience the track. Some kerbs on the inside look very high, especially when you compare it with the onboard of Verstappen's first lap on the new circuit 

To further explain:
-Some kerbs on the inside have the right size, but are a bit too high imo (like inside T1, T10, T13)
-inside kerb of T12 has wrong shape. Here you use the kerb that goes up, but irl this kerb is completely flat (just like exit kerbs on the outsides)
-Kerbs on the outside at exits seems rather large on horizontal level (like exit T3, T8, T10, T12, T13). Especially the size of the red-white blocks make it look large and i think they should be smaller. Imo the size of these kerbs make the circuit on itself look very small and narrow, while on real-life onboards I honestly dont experience this extreme. 
-The kerbs with short apexes (inside T8 & T11) are way too high and has kind of the wrong shape. Now these kerb unsettle the the car quite a lot while irl you could take a lot of this kerb. 
image.thumb.png.ab4d4400a69577e410a407ae1b31566a.png

• In the game (and the F1 mapguide video), the DRS activation is only on the start-finish straight, activated just after T14. 
    However, the whole idea of making this turn a banked turn was to enable DRS trough this corner (without banking the corner was already flat out). 
    I'm really curious what the reasoning for you is to only enable drs on the straight and not in T14. Is this from information you got from F1 itself (and F1 didnt even want to enable DRS trough T14), Or is it something you thought would work better (for example the game mechanics not making it possible to make that turn with DRS open).

Now if you can improve these points which i mentioned here, I think you have a track which is very spot on (Especially T3 needs to be redone, because imo this looks kind of amateurish with lack of research).

Brilliant analysis with great examples. This is exactly what the devs need to move on updates if they are so inclined to do so. Keep up the great work!

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

bad news comes for the detail of the track. The circuits urgently need the laser scanner with the new consoles. Spend more money to have a product faithful to the real counterpart. Meanwhile, please fix with an update, the tracks like the cars, must be updated with patches. If the kerbs are not updated, please update the game even after the exit. https://f1grandprix.motorionline.com/f1-zandvoort-larchitetto-zaffelli-non-e-ben-rappresentata-nel-videogioco/

• Agree 1

Here is a laser scanned version of this track from ACC. Absolutely love this game and this version of the track.

• Like 1

I found a comparison between rFactor 2's version of Zandvoort and current F1 2020 version of the track. Keep in mind - rFactor 2's version is in pretty much "Alpha" state, while the game's looks like a final-ish version. The mod used in rF2 was FSR 2020 mod.

Track looks really cool, but i think that were would be really hard to overtake smbd 😄

Codemasters F1 games seem to be a magnet for criticism, no matter what they do. 

The F1 2020 Zandvoort track is looking good so far, as far as I can see. I drove the rF2 version yesterday and enjoyed it, but as far as the driving surface/layout it doesn't look better or worse than the F1 2020 trailer. As far as I can tell, any differences in banking/kerbing can almost certainly be attributed to the different camera views which show these things at different perspectives, so it's unfair to lay down judgements based on them.

I've given my share of criticism to the game in the past, & they have often deserved it, but we have seen big improvements recently. With CM's improved support for the game (instead of a couple of patches and gone), I have really been enjoying F1 2019,  and I'm looking forward to this year's version more than I have for several years.

• Disagree 2