Sign in to follow this  

A Nostalgia Thread

Posted (edited)

rally_speedway_03.gif.c097cd55fe7fa51756b044afcecb45bd.gif

Early 80s. Rally Speedway on the Commodore 64. Tremendous fun, this one, especially in 2 player mode. Great smooth scrolling and just nice timing to the controls. Yes that is your driver on flames running out of his wrecked vehicle, he then rolls around to put out the flames.

msdos_networkq.jpg.ed8560e7119b0d204b7c4c14579fc29a.jpg

Late 80s/Early 90s. Network Q RAC Rally. I think there were two or three games in this series, each much the same. Good fun in its day, basic 3d and sprites. The first first-person perspective rally game I recall playing.

1474374178-1974816154.jpg.7355a388c8742f5c6fb0aed75ee35f81.jpg

Late 90s. Mobil 1 Rally Championship. This was a seriously good looking game, especially on the PC. I played the hell out of on the PSX, and it was the first 'serious rallying' experience I ever had, with great long stages. Physics were rather lacking, but a great experience for the time.

357064-colinmcrae_024.jpg.89b4818e31d5dff2973f57550ea1ee19.jpg

Late 90s. McRae 2.0. The most fun I've ever had playing rally, prior to DR2.0. Just a completely brilliant racing game with absolutely superb graphics on the PS1. Great physics too in a fun-but-believable way.

michelin-rally-masters-race-of-champions_7.jpg.5ee7879b67c08f8425bdb525fbe5352f.jpg

Late 90s/Early 2000s. Michelin Rally Masters. Under-rated game, decent physics and whilst no serious long stages, mucho enjoyable.

382263-rally_010.jpg.11c6bff0476b4aad806ec551f7d0765e.jpg

Early 2000s. Rally Trophy. Absolutely superb in its day, loving recreation of classic car rally days. Really enjoyed and played the heck out of this, physics were nice, too, believable but no simulation.

RBR2.jpg.e2a67277608dea0c578f8e452bf8bf1b.jpg

Mid-2000s. RBR. What is there to say? Unbelievable, colossal, staggering, and ridiculously hard to play with a controller. Didn't stop me going back again and again. From here, it had to be simulation or forgeddit. Tragic to watch its fortunes in the day though, with the game tanking, the studio bought over by some dubious characters (Gizmondo) who went bankrupt after doing things like 'investing' in race-horses, and then R. Burns himself dying!

Any that I've missed here?

Edited by Jake Cushing
  • Like 1

Rally Trophy looks good, be nice to have that Volvo in the next game from Codies.

• Like 1

Played every one of them except the Commondore 64 game. Loved-hated the Mobil 1 Rally Championship, so beautiful and long stages but the physics were so bad, felt like digital steering and things like that. Colin McRae Rally 2.0 is probably the rallygame I've played and enjoyed the most. Rally Masters was a masterpiece at it's time, played it with keyboard 😄

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

All rally games I've played in my life: 

1. Network Q RAC Rally Championship

2. Mobil 1 Rally Championship🖤

3. V-Rally 2

4. Colin McRae Rally 2005

6. Richard Burns Rally

(10 years without decent rally games on the market)

7. DiRT Rally

8. DiRT Rally 2.0

I also tried some others, like V-Rally 3, Sebàstien Loeb Rally EVO and WRC8, but I didn't like it that much

Edited by RGgiac

Posted (edited)

Played most of those games, too.

CMR and CMR2 were great fun and still give me fond memories. An early favourite was Mobil 1 Rally Championship with some of those incredibly long stages, longer than in any other game to date. Up to 20/25 minutes, if I remember correctly. On the tougher rallies, you really had to look after your car and couldn't go flat out all the time.

Rally Trophy was great, too, although a bit shallow in content. A few more cars and tracks - or longer ones - would have been great. But driving the Volvo Amazon, Ford Cortina or Saab 96 was magic. If only DR2 had more of those 60's gems. (I really like the addition of the DS21 and Datsun 240Z, though)

RBR was, well RBR. Hardcore, but at times extremely satisfying, especially in Japan and Wales (England?). More cars would have been great, of course.

The perfect game? Take the handling of RBR or DR2, the stage length of Mobil 1 Rally Championship, the nostalgia of Rally Trophy and the cars of all of those games plus some classic challenges like the Safari. Let's see what DR3 does, whenever it appears. In my opinion, not having the WRC license is definitely no disadvantage, because it encourages bringing a wider range of classics into the game.

Edited by YoMrWhite
  • Like 1

Cool thread, really took me back in time. I remember Network Q Rac rally on dos, my first rally game, that's where I fell in love with the Cosworth. It had Skoda Felicia which I think I never saw again in any rally game. The intro was awesome. For some reason I remember being afraid of the service area screen, lol. I was a weird kid. 

Mobil 1 was amazing, I couldn't believe how long those stages were.

Then came CMR2.0 on psx, such a stylish game. I loved its minimalistic design. Still miss Seat Cordoba.

RBR blew me away with its realism, which didn't stop me from finishing it on the hardest difficulty with a PS2 controller. Later I bought my first serious wheel (logitech's driving force ex), discovered how immersive ffb is and never went back to the gamepad.

On 4/30/2020 at 2:50 PM, Jake Cushing said:

Any that I've missed here?

PS2 in general had many great rally games. Colin Mcrae Rally 4, Colin Mcrae Rally 2005, WRC4, WRC: Rally Evolved. Each great in its own way. Especially the last one, it was so intense with its lively co-pilot, running spectators, crazy random events and really good handling.

PS3 era was lacking in terms of rally games. Milestone got hold of the WRC licence and didn't deliver, the games were bland, uninspired. The only good rally game on PS3 that I remember was Sega Rally Revo, but it was arcade. Milestone then redeemed themselves with SLRE, a very good game, but with Dirt Rally a new history is being written.

On 4/30/2020 at 5:50 PM, YoMrWhite said:

RBR was, well RBR. Hardcore, but at times extremely satisfying, especially in Japan and Wales (England?)

It was UK Rally Gateshead. Roads were very similar to DR2's Scotland in my opinion: fast, but technical and full of ditches and tree stumps.

On 4/30/2020 at 5:50 PM, YoMrWhite said:

The perfect game? Take the handling of RBR or DR2

Honestly I'd take gravel handling from DR2, but tarmac from RBR. :)

• Like 1

I personally find that 3rd person ie 'behind the car' camera, just doesn't do a game justice. Makes them all look the same. I think the best appraisal is in-car + trackside replays.

• Agree 1

Btw, this looks absolutely superb.

I wish this would be ported to modern consoles. The most fun looking retro rally game I've seen. Terrific sound as well, just overall so ballsy.

Codies could look into making a stop-gap fun little 'Dirt Retro' with this as the model.

(Start from 2:00 in to skip straight to the gameplay)

3 hours ago, Jake Cushing said:

I love isometric games, would love to see the style make a return! 

1 hour ago, tbtstt said:

Thanks @Jake Cushing, fired up the Pi a couple of hours ago and I'm still here...

Thanks to the joy of MAME, I've been playing it now too - so much fun! This title is the essence of great arcade gaming.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jake Cushing said:

Thanks to the joy of MAME, I've been playing it now too - so much fun! This title is the essence of great arcade gaming.

I was trying to play the sequel as well, but it isn't stable and kept crashing! 

Just started playing the first one again. Hopefully @PJTierney is taking some notes in this thread to pass on, I'd definitely buy your DiRT Retro idea if it was like World Rally Championship @Jake Cushing!

Going back to the OP, CMR1 was the first rally game I owned. I have been playing racing games since the early 90's but, up until CMR1, every rally game I had played was at the arcade (most memorably Sega Rally).

I subsequently played every CMR title and the Evolution WRC games. The first Evolution game was the most memorable for me as that was one of the first games I played on PS2. I first fired it up with a mate and I remember us both sitting there in stunned silence looking at the replays because it seemed so real, how times have changed...

...I did play RBR but *deep breath* I never really rated it on console. Enjoyed V-Rally 1 and 2, but I lost interest in the series by V-Rally 3. I frequently sold older games on to pay for the latest version, shame I couldn't have held onto all of them!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, tbtstt said:

Just started playing the first one again. Hopefully @PJTierney is taking some notes in this thread to pass on, I'd definitely buy your DiRT Retro idea if it was like World Rally Championship @Jake Cushing!

They could actually do really well, leveraging off the brand recognition with a fun low budget game - key is not to lose the retro graphics sensibilities, as this is in demand right now. But add in the features that the older games like the World Rally arcade game didn't have, ie long stages, greater handling nuance, fun things like your car on flames and the driver running out to roll around on fire, etc.

22 minutes ago, tbtstt said:

...I did play RBR but *deep breath* I never really rated it on console.

Warthog were an amazing studio for the technicalities, but failed to grasp commercial basics. You must make your game playable with a controller, which it just wasn't. And the front-end just lacked any kind of pizzazz. Saving your tunings was a daunting task, compared with DR2.0 which is a breeze and brilliantly handled. The GUI in DR is now a beautiful thing, so elegant. Also RBR left out the driver's perspective cockpit view! There was only this 'middle of the car' view, unlike the PC version. And then there was 30fps...

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Jake Cushing said:

Warthog were an amazing studio for the technicalities, but failed to grasp commercial basics. You must make your game playable with a controller, which it just wasn't.

Wasn't it? I won the championship on the hardest difficulty on the controller so it couldn't have been that hard.

I don't like to admit it, but the truth is most realistic, sim-oriented games on consoles are usually not very popular among players. I remember reading a review of RBR in a Polish games magazine, and the reviewer stated that the game was "too hardcore", and gave it an average score. I was furious.

I'm a console player who loves sims and I know I'm in the minority. I used to play the hell out of Energy Airforce Aim Strike, a very realistic flight combat game on PS2, but barely anyone even heard of it, everyone was playing Ace Combat at the time. Thankfully there are publishers like 505 games, who aren't afraid of releasing niche gems in Europe. They will be releasing Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS4 soon.

Anyway, back to rally: as for isometric off road fun, check out the Art of Rally. There is a demo on pc and I'm impatiently waiting for the console release. Should be good.

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, danielofifi said:

Wasn't it? I won the championship on the hardest difficulty on the controller so it couldn't have been that hard.

Wow! I guess it was just me then. I do find DR to be much less frustrating with a controller, without any sense of compromise on realism and physics.

15 minutes ago, danielofifi said:

I don't like to admit it, but the truth is most realistic, sim-oriented games on consoles are usually not very popular among players. I remember reading a review of RBR in a Polish games magazine, and the reviewer stated that the game was "too hardcore", and gave it an average score. I was furious.

I'm a console player who loves sims and I know I'm in the minority. I used to play the hell out of Energy Airforce Aim Strike, a very realistic flight combat game on PS2, but barely anyone even heard of it, everyone was playing Ace Combat at the time. Thankfully there are publishers like 505 games, who aren't afraid of releasing niche gems in Europe. They will be releasing Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS4 soon.

Totally agree. I remember those reviews of RBR, like Eurogamer slamming the game without any self-reflection - the reviewer was a confessed hater of serious driving games who only wanted to play arcade stuff!

Yep, anything which was a serious simulator suffered on consoles. Energy Airforce passed me by completely - it looks like it would have been fantastic in its day though!

Very much looking forward to Art of Rally!

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, danielofifi said:

I might feel different if I played it now, but my big issue with RBR is it felt excessively difficult. I find DR2.0 hard at times, but never unrealistically hard. 

I am exactly the same as you though. Although I enjoy arcade type games, I have long preferred more realistic sim-like titles.

I loved Panzer Front on the PS1 and that one seemed to completely pass everyone by. Dropship and Sniper Elite were a couple of my favourites on PS2 and both of those got a lukewarm response from critics and players. 

505 and Gaijin put out some of my most played PS3 games, IL2 and Birds of Steel, then released one of my all time favourite flying games, Apache: Air Assault. Again missed by most players and critics, but so good to play. There was a tiny contingent of players online for a while as well. 

25 minutes ago, danielofifi said:

Anyway, back to rally: as for isometric off road fun, check out the Art of Rally. There is a demo on pc and I'm impatiently waiting for the console release. Should be good.

Is it definitely coming to console? Ii have seen it on PC and I am definitely interested, wasn't sure if a console release was likely. 

Thinking about it the vast majority of my favourites from the 8 and 16 Bit era were isometric. 

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, tbtstt said:

505 and Gaijin put out some of my most played PS3 games, IL2 and Birds of Steel, then released one of my all time favourite flying games, Apache: Air Assault.

Played those games and loved them! Even bought a HOTAS for the immersion. Shame there are no decent flight sims on PS4, apart from the free-to-play Warthunder.

1 hour ago, tbtstt said:

Is it definitely coming to console? Ii have seen it on PC and I am definitely interested, wasn't sure if a console release was likely. 

Yes, it's confirmed to release in June. Let's just hope they port it properly this time, unlike the first Assetto.

Edited by danielofifi

So Art of Rally is starting to look quite seriously gorgeous - and more authentic than I had expected

Clipboard01.jpg.56a69cb38eeb8587a36b1a4fb7c1e942.jpg

Clipboard01-2.jpg.b13f9b82d5cded25402f3d88d6ee28a0.jpg

ezgif.com-optimize_(1).gif.c940b6b50b428e51b1ccd06c57358d27.gif