Want to report an issue? Have a bug to report? Please look here first!!!! Read more... ×

PS4 Corrupted save data ( luckily it resolved itself )

Posted (edited)

@BarryBL 

PS4 version 1.22

I just wanted to share an issue I encountered about an hour or so ago. I am now only just able to relax because everything seems normal and all my data in my game is still there. ( HOLY MOSES THANK GOD IT IS STILL THERE ) The issue occurred when I entered time trials with the 1998 McLaren mp4-13 @ Mexico. I was planning on practicing my laps for the race coming up this weekend. After choosing Mexico my PS4 shut off. I thought maybe it was overheating because I've been racing all day. That was not the case. It took a few tries for it to turn on, I actually thought for a second it may have moved on to PS4 heaven. It's only 5-6 months old so I would have been very surprised. Anyway, when it came on there was an error report. I can't tell you the code but I reported it to PS4 with a brief description of what happened. Upon relaunching F1 2019, I was met with a screen that almost gave me a heart attack. It said exactly this

Corrupted Save, Recovery: 6522DF69-6522DF69-2144DF1C Your save data is corrupted. Do you want to attempt a recovery? This may result in a loss of data. Yes/No

You can imagine my mindset at this point in time. I kept reading the last part and thinking... I do not want to lose data. What I ended up doing from this screen was hitting the circle on my controller or the back button. It took me to another screen that said the following.

Corrupted Save, Backup Detected. Would you like to attempt to restore the available backup data? Yes/No

After countless online searches about this issue I was nearly convinced I was about to lose everything. So the 2nd option to attempt to restore the available backup data was the one I chose. I closed my eyes and hit yes (literally) My game loaded and earlier in the night I had made it to gold XP level 45. It now said 43, so I'm thinking if all I lost was 2 XP levels then no biggie. I notice my customisation had the yellow dot on it meaning something new was there. I went in and the Gold XP 45 badge was in there. I chose it and my XP went right back up to 45 where it was before. Everything was back and the way I left it.

Since then I have tested the game to make sure it is saving. I set a lap on a time trial to see if my time would be saved, I also did a qualifying lap in unranked to get a few XP points to see if they would remain after closing the game, signing out of PSN, and restarting my console. After doing just that I was tickled pink to see everything was there and the saving feature was working. 

Question, Why did this happen and what do I need to do as a player to make sure my data doesn't go jump off a cliff and flip me the bird on the way down? It appears the game has some sort of backup restore built in. At least that's what seemed to happen when it fixed itself after choosing yes to the 2nd option. 

Question, Does Codemasters have all player data saved on a computer somewhere so it can't disappear? 

Sorry I just wrote a book here but I wanted to be thorough and detailed.

Edited by Mike5500
Added info

1 hour ago, Mike5500 said:

Question, Why did this happen and what do I need to do as a player to make sure my data doesn't go jump off a cliff and flip me the bird on the way down? It appears the game has some sort of backup restore built in. At least that's what seemed to happen when it fixed itself after choosing yes to the 2nd option. 

Question, Does Codemasters have all player data saved on a computer somewhere so it can't disappear? 

Don't know, not much you can do. The PS4 storage isn't backed up. If there is a hardware failure, you lose data. Causes of data loss can be manifold (bug, loss of power, loss of sync, hardware, system). You might have to rebuild storage or replace hardware and redownload what you can.

Some stuff is saved in Online Services. Like competition points, rank, etc. linked to your PSN account. DLC is stored in your PSN account. Game saves, setups and hotlaps are local. 

Saved stuff is synced to cloud depending on your PSN account. If it's a Plus account then you can enable cloud save.

It's pretty much the same as on PC. Some stuff is on CM Online Services, some data is stored locally and it can be synced to Steam cloud. You can take local backups of content, but all your purchases are in Steam.

Don't apologise for writing an essay. Apologise for not posting it in the designated format 🙂 

The data recovery process can vary by title, some games you can copy an old save back, sometimes you can recover from the last cloud save. Some data can't simply be recovered depending on the level or type of corruption. F1 2019 uses an autosave function, either local or cloudy or a combination (depending on platform and account mechanics). 

Be glad you got it back, some instances you aren't so lucky. 👍

8 hours ago, steviejay69 said:

Don't apologise for writing an essay. Apologise for not posting it in the designated format 🙂 

Completely necessary to write 👏

• Like 1