Dishing the DIRT - Two Teams, One Future

Posted (edited)

Visit the Website

We're making two very different but equally awesome racing games.

Two distinct varieties of DIRT from two dedicated Codemasters teams.

---

Original message below

---

DR2_McRae_Banner_Twitter.jpg

From a simple ‘2.0’ in late 2018, to the game’s launch in early 2019, through four Seasons of epic content, and onto the Colin McRae: FLAT OUT Pack and Game of the Year EditionDiRT Rally 2.0 has been an incredible journey that we’ve been on with you, our passionate rally and rallycross community.  

As a team, we set out to create the definitive rally and rallycross experience for you, both in terms of what you can experience, and how you experience it. None of that would be possible without the support of you, the players, not just by playing DiRT Rally 2.0, but having the passion and willingness to be part of a true gaming community. You work with us to keep the game moving forward with patches, updates and improvements built around your feedback.

From everyone who has contributed to DiRT Rally 2.0 here at Codemasters, we simply say: thank you for driving with us.  

Whilst there are no plans for additional Seasons for DiRT Rally 2.0, some minor updates and surprises are planned. At this stage, the Rally team is now focusing on the future. By no means are we saying this is “the end” for DiRT Rally 2.0. Daily/Weekly/Monthly Challenges live on, Clubs are stronger than ever and you have plenty of esports action to look forward to. 

Nothing’s moving in terms of your usual hangout spaces (the Forums, the fan-made Discord, Reddit, YouTube, Twitter) and your support team for DiRT Rally 2.0 are still very much here to help.

Prepare to see something new roar to life in the world of DiRT, very soon. Developed by a separate Codemasters studio to the DiRT Rally team, we’re incredibly excited about what’s around the corner. We invite you to be part of a brand new experience, while also continuing to enjoy our definitive Rally offering. 

As for the future of DiRT Rally? Well… we have a few things in mind. We have big plans, driven by a passionate development team, solely tasked with taking the Rally series to even greater heights. You won’t hear about that for a while, but when you do... oh boy, will you be excited for what’s coming.  

Whether it’s our latest game soon to be revealed, or what comes next for Rally, we are incredibly excited to continue making DiRT the franchise for everything we all love about off-road racing. 

“If in doubt... FLAT OUT” 

-the team at Codemasters

Edited by PJTierney
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 12

I predict something along the lines of DiRT 5. Good news that there will be something to really look forward to aside from the next launch too 👍👍👍

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

oh I'm too excited to know what you are going to announce, but I just have a question about dirt rally 2.0, is it that on pc we will one day be able to add mods of livery on cars in dlc?

• Agree 3

2 teams working in tandem for Dirt(numbered) and Rally is great. Let's hope they go all in the party game route with D5! 

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Interesting to see their will be some surprises for DR2 still. Any idea on timeline for updates? I guess it’s all up in the air with all you guys WFH. 

• Like 1

Like a lot of us who enjoy Dirt Rally 2, I’m really hoping the simulation aspect is retained for whatever the next dev project will be. It’s the feeling of immersion, the feeling that you’re as close as possible to being in a rally car, that keeps many of us hooked. VR is absolutely essential from the outset in my view (although many will disagree). 

• Like 1
  • Agree 13

1 hour ago, PJTierney said:

Whilst there are no plans for additional Seasons for DiRT Rally 2.0, some minor updates and surprises are planned. At this stage, the Rally team is now focusing on the future. By no means are we saying this is “the end” for DiRT Rally 2.0. Daily/Weekly/Monthly Challenges live on, Clubs are stronger than ever and you have plenty of esports action to look forward to. 

Nothing’s moving in terms of your usual hangout spaces (the Forums, the fan-made Discord, Reddit, YouTube, Twitter) and your support team for DiRT Rally 2.0 are still very much here to help.

so with DiRT Rally 2.0 slowly phasing out in favor of future endeavors,

are there any chance of the Career mode being able to be played offline sometime in future , now in the covid days, may connection is saldy unstable which makes racing the career quite a pain :-(

Very nicely worded letter,

Be very interesting to see what comes out next....

• Like 2

Hoping in the same drive feeling (Dirt 2.0) in the next chapter (not like Dirt 4 for example). Good work!

• Agree 4

I expect the next DiRT instalment to be similar to that of D3/D4 so I’m really hoping Outbreak from D3 makes a reappearance. It was such good fun. Would absolutely love a car game that you could just pick up and play on a controller and have some fun with. D2 & D3 provided just that. 

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 2

On 5/4/2020 at 9:20 AM, vincefurtif said:

I just have a question about dirt rally 2.0, is it that on pc we will one day be able to add mods of livery on cars in dlc?

This isn't going to happen, sorry.

23 hours ago, prudislavCz said:

so with DiRT Rally 2.0 slowly phasing out in favor of future endeavors,

are there any chance of the Career mode being able to be played offline sometime in future 

"ripping out" online server connectivity from various game modes is estimated to be a multi-month long project because the entire game is built around it. In other words, not happening.

What is happening though is continued work on the DiRT Rally 2.0 servers; in fact, 2 big updates went out last week which greatly helped with capacity, as well as response time to server requests related to Clubs. Based on how this weekend went it seemed to be a big improvement.

• Thanks 2
  • Agree 4
  • Disagree 3

22 hours ago, PJTierney said:

"ripping out" online server connectivity from various game modes is estimated to be a multi-month long project because the entire game is built around it. In other words, not happening.

But you are aware that this means we will only be able to play Career mode only as long as Codemasters keep this server running?

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, PJTierney said:

This isn't going to happen, sorry.

Ppfff what a joke...

• Like 1

If it is not an enhanced career pack or an arcade style game I would be disappointed 😔 

very excited and waiting 

31 minutes ago, Rallycameraman said:

I expect the next DiRT instalment to be similar to that of D3/D4 so I’m really hoping Outbreak from D3 makes a reappearance. It was such good fun. Would absolutely love a car game that you could just pick up and play on a controller and have some fun with. D2 & D3 provided just that. 

I’ve been playing wreckfest a lot, it’s the absolute ideal game for dirt 3’s party game modes! Still a really fun game to mess about online with and take people out

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, RallyDriven said:

I’ve been playing wreckfest a lot, it’s the absolute ideal game for dirt 3’s party game modes! Still a really fun game to mess about online with and take people out

Have you been playing it on console or PC? 

"Prepare to see something new roar to life in the world of DiRT, very soon. Developed by a separate Codemasters studio to the DiRT Rally team, we’re incredibly excited about what’s around the corner." - A separate team is developing Dirt 5 and will be announced very soon. Pic profile as the same graphic design from previous versions 2 or 3, not Dirt 4.

"As for the future of DiRT Rally? Well… we have a few things in mind. We have big plans, driven by a passionate development team, solely tasked with taking the Rally series to even greater heights. You won’t hear about that for a while, but when you do... oh boy, will you be excited for what’s coming."  - Something like Dirt Rally 3.0 already prepared for the next generation of consoles, it will take a while to get out, however they give us Dirt 5 to entertain us?

Mean while take a look of a tribute that i make for DR2.0.
Enjoy it

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5

7 minutes ago, Rallycameraman said:

Have you been playing it on console or PC? 

Console, I can’t really justify the cost of a pc at the moment to be honest. Sadly wreckfest doesn’t have cross platform either

14 minutes ago, RallyDriven said:

Sadly wreckfest doesn’t have cross platform either

No racing game does currently, except for recent Forza titles.

Closest is DiRT Rally 2.0's cross-platform leaderboards.

4 minutes ago, PJTierney said:

No racing game does currently, except for recent Forza titles.

Closest is DiRT Rally 2.0's cross-platform leaderboards.

Rocket league? Just kidding, unlike all the game awards I know it’s not a racing game. I was bored during lockdown so I got COD for the first time in 10 years, I’ve been really enjoying played non cross platform with my friends on PlayStation, hope this becomes more popular in the future

Posted (edited)

As for the future of DiRT Rally? Well… we have a few things in mind. We have big plans, driven by a passionate development team, solely tasked with taking the Rally series to even greater heights. You won’t hear about that for a while, but when you do... oh boy, will you be excited for what’s coming.  

Fingers crossed for Dirt Rally 3.0 and i dont see why they wouldnt make it. For being a rally game with a bit more difficult-to-drive-physics than your regular arcade game it seems to have done a good job to attract players from the more casual to the really fast guys. A great balance of both being challenging to making it playable for the ones looking for a more casual experience. DR2.0 is the game ive put the most hours in in the shortest amount of time, ever.

Edited by somethingthing