(Suggestion) Extra down shift

Posted (edited)

Hey @BarryBL

Can u bring this proposal to the devs pls 🙂

In future titles it would be great to prevent the Extra downshifting thing for faster corner entry. This is something that would never ever somebody do in the Real f1

Could be prevented with massive damage on the gearbox and in that coclusion loss of Power maybe or better with the handling itself. Because the car have to be uncontrolled then or anything like this 🙂

Thank u 🙂

Edited by Exodium
Specify
  • Thanks 2
  • Agree 3

Posted (edited)

I think you mean the extra downshift for more rotation mid-corner rather than "shortshifting" as shortshifting means shifting up earlier to avoid wheelspin or save fuel under traction.

I definitely agree the extra downshift needs to go, nearly every corner you have to use this to go fastest, you never see it like that in real life and as a result we're nearly always a gear lower than we should be right before the apex. 

Edited by Worntoathread
  • Thanks 2
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Exodium said:

Yeah exactly what i mean, Thank u 🙂

Well pointed out! It's refreshing to read a new proposal instead of the same ones over and over!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Extra downshift, changing of the fuel map from corner to corner and micromanaging/mapping in real time of the ERS. Three things I've never used that are unrealistic but make you faster...

Extra downshift can also have downside effects and make your car spin off track easily, especially on wet tarmac. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

If I understand correctly; suppose first corner in Australia should be taken in 5th gear. Depending if I turn in correctly I take it in 5th gear but sometimes I need to downshift extra just to make the corner. How on earth do you want to prevent doing this if it's done under the right revs? I understand your point but looking at the "real"life drivers I see some take certain corners in 3rd gear and others in 4th gear. So tell me, if I understood the post correctly? 

• Disagree 1

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, 1512marcel said:

If I understand correctly; suppose first corner in Australia should be taken in 5th gear. Depending if I turn in correctly I take it in 5th gear but sometimes I need to downshift extra just to make the corner. How on earth do you want to prevent doing this if it's done under the right revs? I understand your point but looking at the "real"life drivers I see some take certain corners in 3rd gear and others in 4th gear. So tell me, if I understood the post correctly? 

The issue is that in the game, when used correctly, it would always be faster to flick in and out of the lower gear, so down and back up almost instantly.

The car gets a snap of extra turn in, it's essentially an exploit that requires a very unrealistic way of driving to achieve the fastest laptimes by going down up to two gears lower than you're supposed to be.

Have a look at Leclerc's virtual pole lap and see how he uses this technique in many corners, going down to first gear where it would be third in real life: 

Compare that to his real life onboard where he takes the same corners up in 3rd compared to 1st gear:

Edited by Worntoathread
  • Agree 1

If you increased the gearbox wear for abusing it? Would that make no difference?

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, 1512marcel said:

The principal is standard racing practice : engine braking during turn in. In project cars you can actually very the value from a high to low amount (8-0) o tweak how much you get. The diff plays a big part as in off throttle turning as well. Now I don't know the exact rules in F1 itself but for high speed cars that are as lightweight as F1 cars it's very dangerous to let a change of gear to the rear wheels during a corner. If you change up and gas it too early you can spin and also easily when braking. Remember this basically trail braking kind of as your slowing down the rear wheels strategically. As the F1 game has way more lateral grip than real life and some unusually for giving handling it would be possible to abuse this in the way this thread mentions. The effect is real and legitimate, the handling makes it almost cheating. You can drift the cars in real life this way if  you have skills as the grip coefficient allows more subtle control. In the game you can't drift. You are either attached to the track or spinning out!

A simple fix might be to unrealistically disallow rear engine torque to affect the balance of the car... It gets complicated in a game as you either need a much more accurate handling model so changing down spins you out so you won't do it anyway or even maybe disallow down shifts during a turn.

I don't feel confident I explained all that scientifically or in a way it was understandable. Sorry I tried! 😔🙏

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, sirio994 said:

Extra downshift, changing of the fuel map from corner to corner and micromanaging/mapping in real time of the ERS. Three things I've never used that are unrealistic but make you faster...

These are exactly what what gamers are USED to doing, micro-managing inputs to maximize performance. It's definitely more gamey than realistic but that would take a lot of high end research and design, the coding itself wouldn't be that hard. That's 2 systems to redesign as well as the whole handling model!

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Chromatic said:

If you increased the gearbox wear for abusing it? Would that make no difference?

Not if u get wear and a massive loss of Power in consequence of this or failures like no 4th gear for example (scalable as tyre wear and the wear also taken over to race from Quali) 

I think the other point were explained very well here 🙂

I hope they find a way to fix it because it would be so much better if u Cant just cheat like this

Edited by Exodium
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, sloppysmusic said:

The effect is real and legitimate, the handling makes it almost cheating. 

I don't feel confident I explained all that scientifically or in a way it was understandable. Sorry I tried! 😔🙏

Thanks, I get it now. Especially the Ferrari example makes sense 😇😇😇

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, 1512marcel said:

Thanks, I get it now. Especially the Ferrari example makes sense 😇😇😇

Ah Ferrari.. The world's smartest cheats. Oops I'm just kidding of course..... They're so technically brilliant we can't prove a thing

🤔😉😎

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Damage and wear wouldn't work as a deterrent as it won't have any affect in time trial and online races people would just switch damage off. The only way to make it work would be a fundamental change to the handling model 

Edited by TomAAA

Posted (edited)

If you watch the lap of Canada on this forum, its on the F1 general discussion forum first page, the post is called 'last corner Canada' you can see the downshift exploit to full effect. The driver keeps downshifting extra then quickly flicking back up a get to stabilise the car through every corner and get a 1m07.3 

The hilarious thing is he put up the post saying the last corner is unfair and unrealistic yet says nothing of the driving style and the exploit lol

Edited by TomAAA

23 hours ago, TomAAA said:

Damage and wear wouldn't work as a deterrent as it won't have any affect in time trial and online races people would just switch damage off. The only way to make it work would be a fundamental change to the handling model 

I think damage would work wonders.. Time trial is just time trial and it's meant to abuse. Cause i think this kinda would work in real life too? but it's just too expensive gear box wise. 
(Max Verstappen's dad once said: If you have to choose between braking with the engine and braking with the brakes, brake with the brakes, brake discs are cheaper.)

But especially if they manage to let drivers have a set amount of gearboxes over a season and wear carrying over that would at least fix it for leagues. and also single player i guess. (although why anyone would drive against the bot train is beyond me) 

Switching damage to off is a good way to invite the crashers and ruin the experience so that won't happen for any longer race. and 5 lappers are like time trial.. let people abuse the game mechanics. The problem is us getting free cars ad Infinitum 😉 so we don't have to be careful with them. In leagues/long races this can be fixed with damage. 

3 hours ago, Bicarda said:

although why anyone would drive against the bot train is beyond me) 

I do because I'm more scared of the MURDER train! 🚉🚂😉🤣

• Haha 1

So according to Jimmy Broadbent's gameplay video, this downshifting to get more rotation is still a thing! 😩