Sign in to follow this  

practice programs laptimes

Are practice programs objectives lowered when you're running with a worn power unit ?

just checked - no, they're not. Or nowhere near enough

3 hours ago, Jocw said:

Are practice programs objectives lowered when you're running with a worn power unit ? 

They only depend on the level of difficulty set.

With a worn engine, they will be more difficult to achieve because lap times will be slower.

Yeah, depend on level diffcult, I'm started new career on Williams at level 90 and the Bahrain can't beat fuel program and quali program, in Baku, can't beat quali program, now I'm on Spain, and can't beat the race program ( on race program I only use MIX 2, ERS 2 and no DRS) so, cant' beat the target. I bet that quali program will fail again.

13 minutes ago, EduCalza said:

Yeah, depend on level diffcult, I'm started new career on Williams at level 90 and the Bahrain can't beat fuel program and quali program, in Baku, can't beat quali program, now I'm on Spain, and can't beat the race program ( on race program I only use MIX 2, ERS 2 and no DRS) so, cant' beat the target. I bet that quali program will fail again. 

However, the times to be struck in the training programs also depend on the team.

If you drove a Mercedes or Ferrari with difficulty level 90, you would have to beat higer times in order to get the full score than with a level 90 difficulty in a Williams.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EduCalza said:

I'm at Monaco (my worst track) with an engine that's on its last legs.  It took me forever just to get the purple in the acclimatization. And a lot of that lap was luck.  🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, DrDraken said:

I'm at Monaco (my worst track) with an engine that's on its last legs.  It took me forever just to get the purple in the acclimatization. And a lot of that lap was luck.  🤣

You have my respect sir. I'd have quit already at that track, crying into my racing gloves! 🤣

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, sloppysmusic said:

You have my respect sir. I'd have quit already at that track, crying into my racing gloves! 🤣

It took two full runs through P1 (45 minutes each) and (so far) one P2 to get to that point.  And a LOT of replays to spare the team fixing another broken wing.

It's rather telling that they have to use an entirely different steering rack for Monaco because the normal one won't allow the car to navigate Loews.  O_o

• Like 1

They also don't seem to be adjusted once you upgrade the car. I've gone from being very similar to @EduCalza (90 AI and not being able to beat the qualy program in Bahrain or Baku) to absolutely smashing the times for all programs towards the end of the season, even with very scruffy laps. 

This is more a reflection of how they aren't adapted as you upgrade your car (have done all practice programs except the ones I just couldn't manage after many attempts), rather than me being any good. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrDraken said:

I hate Monaco haha. Each pit exit one front wing broken. Can't see the quali program, full power modes. Oh boy.

But I will try, all the year Baku and Monaco are skipped, but now I have new pedal, and it's better than older and I can get a good results, So time I will try.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, EduCalza said:

all the year Baku and Monaco are skipped

Me too oops. Too easy to just take all the upgrades on the car, accept penalties as I'm last on the grid anyway then just have fun in the race and treat it like practice. One day, I promise myself, one day! 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I hate Monaco haha. Each pit exit one front wing broken. Can't see the quali program, full power modes. Oh boy.

But I will try, all the year Baku and Monaco are skipped, but now I have new pedal, and it's better than older and I can get a good results, So time I will try.

Baku is actually my least favourite track.  A whole bunch of quick dashes to the braking zone, then a long (dare I say, boring?) straight.  I just don't find it fun to drive.

Monaco, at least, has the appeal of being Monaco, and as bad as I am on that track, I do enjoy the challenge of putting together a really good lap.  When I raced it in Gran Turismo 3 (as Cote D'Azur) for the Super License test, it took about 20 or 30 hours before I beat the bronze time and got my license.  I beat it by 0.001 seconds.

Since then, I've learned to drive with more finesse.  With the better pedal set, I'm sure you'll have more luck.  One thing I have learned is, you're almost NEVER at full throttle.  O_o

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RPK11 said:

They also don't seem to be adjusted once you upgrade the car. I've gone from being very similar to @EduCalza (90 AI and not being able to beat the qualy program in Bahrain or Baku) to absolutely smashing the times for all programs towards the end of the season, even with very scruffy laps. 

This is more a reflection of how they aren't adapted as you upgrade your car (have done all practice programs except the ones I just couldn't manage after many attempts), rather than me being any good. 

Yeah. After serveral tries, our tires can't set new good lap.

7 minutes ago, sloppysmusic said:

Me too oops. Too easy to just take all the upgrades on the car, accept penalties as I'm last on the grid anyway then just have fun in the race and treat it like practice. One day, I promise myself, one day! 😁

My last race on Baku, I had mechanical failure (I call this) my gear had 82% in 4 races, I lost the gears, but come back a few laps later, and the last 10 laps, the changes was to slow....DNF.

• Agree 2

My last race on Baku, I had mechanical failure (I call this) my gear had 82% in 4 races, I lost the gears, but come back a few laps later, and the last 10 laps, the changes was to slow....DNF.

During my race at Baku, Jeff gave me all sorts of lovely news.

"We're seeing an alarming amount of wear on the ICE.  Try to take it easy on it."

(gets passed on long straight)

"The turbo is on its last legs. You'll see a reduction in power."

"Your gearbox is showing a lot of wear. Try to minimize your shifts."

(loses 4th gear, gets passed by two people on long straight)

"Your MGU-H is showing a great deal of wear. Revving the engine will exacerbate the issue."

Good GAWD, Jeff!  Is there anything that ISN'T broken?!  🤣

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, DrDraken said:

Baku is actually my least favourite track.  A whole bunch of quick dashes to the braking zone, then a long (dare I say, boring?) straight.  I just don't find it fun to drive.

Monaco, at least, has the appeal of being Monaco, and as bad as I am on that track, I do enjoy the challenge of putting together a really good lap.  When I raced it in Gran Turismo 3 (as Cote D'Azur) for the Super License test, it took about 20 or 30 hours before I beat the bronze time and got my license.  I beat it by 0.001 seconds.

Since then, I've learned to drive with more finesse.  With the better pedal set, I'm sure you'll have more luck.  One thing I have learned is, you're almost NEVER at full throttle.  O_o

Great! I got my pedal about 2 weeks ago and decide to start a new career. It's fantastic how I not lock the brakes easily, and had a complete Baku weekend,  but bad setup decision and failures...DNF.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, EduCalza said:

Great! I got my pedal about 2 weeks ago and decide to start a new career. It's fantastic how I not lock the brakes easily, and had a complete Baku weekend,  but bad setup decision and failures...DNF.

Yeah, if the game decides your components are totally done and DNF's you, there's not much you can do about it.

Have you sunk a bunch of resources into durability upgrades?  Apparently that's the thing to focus on first - especially the ICE and gearbox.

• Like 1

Just now, DrDraken said:

During my race at Baku, Jeff gave me all sorts of lovely news.

"We're seeing an alarming amount of wear on the ICE.  Try to take it easy on it."

"The turbo is on its last legs. You'll see a reduction in power."

"Your gearbox is showing a lot of wear. Try to minimize your shifts."

(loses 4th gear, gets passed by two people on long straight)

"Your MGU-H is showing a great deal of wear. Revving the engine will exacerbate the issue."

Good GAWD, Jeff!  Is there anything that ISN'T broken?!  🤣

Wow, how the car moves? haha

For this my new career, I change the ICE and Turbo for races, and back to older for next FPs.

for this year ( I mean new career) I decide to not upgrade durability department. Will spend on aero and chassis.

By my calcution, I must to finish my career in 67 day until F1 2020 comes up. where team I finish this year, will continue on 2020

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, EduCalza said:

Wow, how the car moves? haha

For this my new career, I change the ICE and Turbo for races, and back to older for next FPs.

for this year ( I mean new career) I decide to not upgrade durability department. Will spend on aero and chassis.

By my calcution, I must to finish my career in 67 day until F1 2020 comes up. where team I finish this year, will continue on 2020

On my last few laps, I was barely getting into 8th gear on the long straight.  It was ridiculous.  I never considered changing the ICE and Turbo in addition to the gearbox for FP1 and 2.  Maybe I'll just keep this one as the practise one from now on.  It's got about 50 laps left before it keels over and blows a conrod through the engine cover.

Good luck on finishing the career in that time.  Doing one season would be a race every 3 days or so.  But if you plan to do the entire 5 year (or is it 10?!) career, then don't forget to sleep once in a while. 🤣

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DrDraken said:

On my last few laps, I was barely getting into 8th gear on the long straight.  It was ridiculous.  I never considered changing the ICE and Turbo in addition to the gearbox for FP1 and 2.  Maybe I'll just keep this one as the practise one from now on.  It's got about 50 laps left before it keels over and blows a conrod through the engine cover.

Good luck on finishing the career in that time.  Doing one season would be a race every 3 days or so.  But if you plan to do the entire 5 year (or is it 10?!) career, then don't forget to sleep once in a while. 🤣

Running without get 8th gear is so crazy, Oh boy.. 

Thanks, yes 3 days for weekend, today is FP3 and qualifying, tomorow race. On friday bye day haha and get flight to USA to race NASCAR in iRacing hahaha ( I know I'm crazy fool guy)

On F1 2019 will one year, but F1 2020 will race all 10 years. The new feature MyTeam, I not in the hype.

Running without get 8th gear is so crazy, Oh boy.. 

Thanks, yes 3 days for weekend, today is FP3 and qualifying, tomorow race. On friday bye day haha and get flight to USA to race NASCAR in iRacing hahaha ( I know I'm crazy fool guy)

On F1 2019 will one year, but F1 2020 will race all 10 years. The new feature MyTeam, I not in the hype.

I'm not sure how much I'll like the My Team feature.  I'll try it, for sure, but I don't really know what to expect at this point.

I just hope they fixed a bunch of the issues relating to the game.  Handling, AI, Penalties, Safety Car, to name a few.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DrDraken said:

I'm not sure how much I'll like the My Team feature.  I'll try it, for sure, but I don't really know what to expect at this point.

I just hope they fixed a bunch of the issues relating to the game.  Handling, AI, Penalties, Safety Car, to name a few.

Me too.

Have to say I personally love Baku. Yes I know I'm weird! Especially like being able to actually go real fast unlike Monaco and Singapore and nailing the 90 degree corners and hurtling past close to the walls is a thrill. Sorry lol!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, sloppysmusic said:

Have to say I personally love Baku. Yes I know I'm weird! Especially like being able to actually go real fast unlike Monaco and Singapore and nailing the 90 degree corners and hurtling past close to the walls is a thrill. Sorry lol!

Well, there's those things, I suppose.  Hehe.  One of the reasons it's at the bottom of my list is because I don't know it well enough to really extract all the time out of it.  It did become more fun toward the end of the race, when I was able to take corners at higher speeds (having gotten used to them).  It may also be the fact that my engine, turbo, gearbox, and MGU-h all went poopoo during the race, and I limped over the line, barely able to get into 8th gear.  🤣

I kept thinking of Nigel Mansell in Dallas in 1984 - the first F1 race I ever watched - when he tried to push his car over the line.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DrDraken said:

Well, there's those things, I suppose.  Hehe.  One of the reasons it's at the bottom of my list is because I don't know it well enough to really extract all the time out of it.  It did become more fun toward the end of the race, when I was able to take corners at higher speeds (having gotten used to them).  It may also be the fact that my engine, turbo, gearbox, and MGU-h all went poopoo during the race, and I limped over the line, barely able to get into 8th gear.  🤣

I kept thinking of Nigel Mansell in Dallas in 1984 - the first F1 race I ever watched - when he tried to push his car over the line.

Once i started running full length races in F1 2018 I found by the end of the first season the only track that was always a challenge was Monaco. Some unlikely tracks became more enjoyable. Suzuka became my favorite as I could really push there and Baku became fun too (don't quote me lol). Plus as I was McClaren there was no pressure to perform first season so it was literally one long practice season!