Sign in to follow this  

My Quest to Conquer Monaco

So, having started racing Monaco as "Cote D'Azur" in Gran Turismo, I  knew the general layout of the track, and I managed to get good enough to drive it without crashing.  Much.

But in F1 2019, things are a little different, and I find myself a long way behind my competition.  To be blunt, I just plain suck.  My best time is 1:20.808.  That was the one time I successfully navigated the swimming pool section and actually hit 6th gear.

Now, I know from experience that my best bet is just to drive the track.  A lot.  Like, a couple hundred laps.  I did that with Australia and that high speed chicane got easier and easier.  When I started, I was dropping down to 4th, then up to 5th.  By the end, I was comfortably staying in 6th most of the time.  It just took a huge amount of repetition.

So, that's the plan with Monaco.  I have a guitar to fix tonight for my friend, but afterwards I'll be hot-lapping around the Monte Carlo.  My first goal is to get under 1:20.  That seems to be a bit of a wall for me right now.

Once I'm comfortable (is it even possible to become "comfortable" driving around Monaco?) I'll be focusing on shaving off the tenths.  :classic_tongue:

Any advice for this elegant beast of a track is welcome.

All i can say is it really helps to first learn the track in a much slower car. So you can get smooth before you speed up. It's been in games for years and I'm no expert at all but I've driven minis and slower open wheel cars round there and enjoyed it much more!

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, sloppysmusic said:

All i can say is it really helps to first learn the track in a much slower car. So you can get smooth before you speed up. It's been in games for years and I'm no expert at all but I've driven minis and slower open wheel cars round there and enjoyed it much more!

Funnily enough, I don't think I've ever driven anything less than an S-Class car around that track!  Good advice.  I worked under a Musical Director once who told me pretty much the same thing.  "Learn to play this slowly without stumbling and it's easy to speed up."  Good advice in both worlds.  First you get good, then you get fast.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, DrDraken said:

Funnily enough, I don't think I've ever driven anything less than an S-Class car around that track!  Good advice.  I worked under a Musical Director once who told me pretty much the same thing.  "Learn to play this slowly without stumbling and it's easy to speed up."  Good advice in both worlds.  First you get good, then you get fast.

Something else I find helpful is to only drive around in a high gear like 6 for example. What this teaches you is how to RETAIN your momentum round corners and drive smoothly with efficient lines. This is especially useful at Monaco where speed loss at crucial corners is a lap time killer.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, sloppysmusic said:

Something else I find helpful is to only drive around in a high gear like 6 for example. What this teaches you is how to RETAIN your momentum round corners and drive smoothly with efficient lines. This is especially useful at Monaco where speed loss at crucial corners is a lap time killer.

I'll try that.  The only problem with that is, the handling suffers horribly when you aren't using the engine to increase turn-in.  🙄

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, DrDraken said:

I'll try that.  The only problem with that is, the handling suffers horribly when you aren't using the engine to increase turn-in.  🙄

Exactly, you need all the help you can get! Good time to tweak the tune too so the car doesn't need so much help 😉

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, sloppysmusic said:

Exactly, you need all the help you can get! Good time to tweak the tune too so the car doesn't need so much help 😉

That's one of the things I'm still learning.  What setting does what, and where exactly do I put them.  I have a setup that I found that gives me a starting point.  Then I tweak things a bit at a time and test it to see what effect it has. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, DrDraken said:

That's one of the things I'm still learning.  What setting does what, and where exactly do I put them.  I have a setup that I found that gives me a starting point.  Then I tweak things a bit at a time and test it to see what effect it has. 

Exactly! And as someone who has done a LOT of tuning the simpler your driving method the easier it is to note differences between setup tweaks. You should be able to 'roll' the car around most corners without boosting turns with engine braking and throttle blips. Makes it much harder to tweak as we naturally adapt our driving method to tweaks and the busier you are the harder it is to figure out what exactly changed.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, sloppysmusic said:

Exactly! And as someone who has done a LOT of tuning the simpler your driving method the easier it is to note differences between setup tweaks. You should be able to 'roll' the car around most corners without boosting turns with engine braking and throttle blips. Makes it much harder to tweak as we naturally adapt our driving method to tweaks and the busier you are the harder it is to figure out what exactly changed.

I don't even use engine braking that much, nor the quick down-up shifting to maintain stability.  I drive the car like a car - and oftentimes wish it felt like it ( hint, hint, Codies 😉 ).  And after a while, I get into a nice rhythm that gets tighter as I learn the finaggly little points of the circuit.  But Monaco is ALL finaggly little points.  :classic_blink:

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, DrDraken said:

I don't even use engine braking that much, nor the quick down-up shifting to maintain stability.  I drive the car like a car - and oftentimes wish it felt like it ( hint, hint, Codies 😉 ).  And after a while, I get into a nice rhythm that gets tighter as I learn the finaggly little points of the circuit.  But Monaco is ALL finaggly little points.  :classic_blink:

That's a word I want to hear on TV now. "here we are at Monaco, the finaggliest circuit on the tour"! 🤣

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, sloppysmusic said:

That's a word I want to hear on TV now. "here we are at Monaco, the finaggliest circuit on the tour"! 🤣

I bet, if I tweeted that to #AskCrofty during a race at Monaco, he'd read it on air.  🙂

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, DrDraken said:

I bet, if I tweeted that to #AskCrofty during a race at Monaco, he'd read it on air.  🙂

Do it! Do it! Do it! Tell him I'll give $50 to a charity of his choice if he does! 💵💵🤣🤣

1 minute ago, sloppysmusic said:

Do it! Do it! Do it! Tell him I'll give $50 to a charity of his choice if he does! 💵💵🤣🤣

Remind me next year when there's a Monaco race, and I will TOTALLY do it.  😛

• Agree 1

Ok, an update.  I didn't get a chance to race last night, but I jumped into Time Trial this morning before work.  It was immediately apparent what my main issue is.

ICE on its last race (literally)

Gearbox already lost one gear and needed repairing after Baku

Turbo that is more of a Turd-O

MHU-H that's trying to H itself out of existence

and I just had an oil leak this morning.

The Time Trial car is so nice.  Can I have one of those?

Anyway, in Trials I managed to get into a nice groove and ran three consecutive laps under 1:18.  My best is a 1:17.938

Then I went back to P2 (and my broken car) to see if it made any difference.  First hot lap took 6/10 off my previous best with a 1:20.2.  Finding that groove really helps in any track, but in Monaco it is essential.  As I mentioned above, it's the finnagliest track on the calendar.  And I still have lots of finnagling left to do.  🤣

• Haha 1

It's just not finaggling fair that finaggling track. I get so finaggling mad with it sometimes!

🤗

• Haha 1

I had not finished a race in Monaco since f1 2013 until this morning. 77 laps completed (got lapped) came in 16th in my Alfa but was really happy and managed to get fastest lap bizarrely near the end (??) 

What helped a wheel all previous efforts had been pad are you on a wheel?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, AdamFreeman said:

I had not finished a race in Monaco since f1 2013 until this morning. 77 laps completed (got lapped) came in 16th in my Alfa but was really happy and managed to get fastest lap bizarrely near the end (??) 

What helped a wheel all previous efforts had been pad are you on a wheel?

Wow.  I'm not sure my nervous system could take a full 77 laps around Monaco.  O_o  Well done for that.  I'm on a wheel.  I used to use a controller, but switched almost 20 years ago.

Have you tried following ghosts in Time Trial by any chance?

Find one that’s half a second faster than you, chase it, beat it, find another half a second faster, repeat.

I sometimes call this ladder training, used to do it a lot in Forza to get to Top 1%.

• Agree 1

I was okay on the early decade games I even won with williams on f1 2012 but was great just finishing the race on 100% 🙂

Just now, PJTierney said:

Have you tried following ghosts in Time Trial by any chance?

Find one that’s half a second faster than you, chase it, beat it, find another half a second faster, repeat.

I sometimes call this ladder training, used to do it a lot in Forza to get to Top 1%.

I would if the ghost could be replaced with a line on the road (like Gran Turismo).  The car messes with me when I'm really close to it. 

2 minutes ago, DrDraken said:

I would if the ghost could be replaced with a line on the road (like Gran Turismo).  The car messes with me when I'm really close to it. 

GT6 has this amazing “ghost line” feature, even in multiplayer qualifying 🙂 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PJTierney said:

Feel free to ahem 'borrow' it for YOUR game! We won't tell on you , honest!

🤣😎

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, PJTierney said:

Yup.  That's the one.  Please feel free to bring something like that into F1.  It's much easier to follow than a car you can drive through.  🙂

I jumped back on this morning, went into P2 and did the Tire Management programme.  On a very broken car.  On my first attempt I pulled off a 1:19.038 and all I was doing was making sure that every corner was as smooth as possible.

Apparently that's the secret to Monaco.  I then went into the Quali programme and (again, with my very broken car) nailed a 1:17.047.  That's 3.8 seconds off my time from yesterday.

The next goal is to do 10 laps without hitting any walls.  I think my current record is 3.  :classic_blink:

And seriously, who does a 1:05 in Monaco?!  Annakin frickin Skywalker?!  🤣

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, DrDraken said:

And seriously, who does a 1:05 in Monaco?!  Annakin frickin Skywalker?!  🤣

Legit fastest times are around 1:07, I can drive 1:09s in my fastest laps, the 1:05s from tt are most likely cheated times.