F1® 2020 | Spain Hotlap

I know it's a tiny, insignificant detail, but a part of me hopes we can make our own version of a Twitter handle in Career mode because I think the black bar with the Twitter handles in the McLaren halo would be out of place if the right side was just left blank. The same would go in regards to the other cars, too.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, UP100 said:

Now I'd be nice to get some confirmation on who is 'F1'. FOM or FIA?

FIA as part of their grade 1 track status, which F1 has full access to

Used to be on this page but the layout has changed probably still somewhere on the site 

https://www.fia.com/circuit-safety

Edited by TomAAA
  • Like 1

Just now, TomAAA said:

FIA as part of their grade 1 track status, which F1 has full access to

I'm willing to bet some money that FOM doesn't have full access to FIA, or the laser scanned data (because what would FOM do with it anyways?)

I, a common pleb, do not see any difference in comparison to F1 2019 (and 2018, really), aside from the McLaren Livery.

Maybe a comparison video to F1 2019 would be cool in this case.

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

First notice - Overtake mode. I wonder if that's just the "3" mode renamed, or it's a proper additional mode. Also 0 and O will look very similar on the wheel - I think changing the sign to a "+" for Overtake mode would work better?

Audio-wise, I think the game sounds fine. Sure, I feel it could be even better, but for what it is, it's quite good.

For the track, the changed in Sector 3 were noticeable. Seems like 11-12 were remade, and thank god - for me, these were one of the worst offenders. 13 to 14 change seems small, but at least you can notice you're going downhill now. Otherwise, the track still looks same-ish as before. (I suppose I can wish for a proper laser-scanned tracks in the future F1 games, to avoid many inaccuracies...)

• Like 1

I do think F1 in general needs to have a closer relationship with codemasters, the majority of the teams are based in the UK,

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, UP100 said:

I'm willing to bet some money that FOM doesn't have full access to FIA, or the laser scanned data (because what would FOM do with it anyways?)

As someone who used to work in a planning authority, I can tell you those type of models get used for deciding advertising locations and distance to exposure points i.e camera location point. Emergency services areas and access to specific points, spectator and temporary stand locations for accurate distance to track for debris etc. Quite a large number of data opportunities and uses that would take a page to fill 

Edited by TomAAA
  • Like 1

Just now, TomAAA said:

As someone who used to work in a planning authority, I can tell you those type of models get used for deciding advertising location and distance to exposure i.e camera location point. Emergency services areas and access, spectator and temporary stand locations for accurate distance to track for debris etc. Quite a large number of data opportunities that would take a page to fill 

Though I still doubt you need laser scanned data to those things instead of just a simple model of the track for example.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, mantazzo said:

First notice - Overtake mode. I wonder if that's just the "3" mode renamed, or it's a proper additional mode. Also 0 and O will look very similar on the wheel - I think changing the sign to a "+" for Overtake mode would work better?

I'm thinking (hoping) they removed mode 0 all together and rather made it 3 modes with an added overtake functionality

Mode 1 Charging 

Mode 2 Standard

Mode 3 High

Overtake button for max deployment ( O )

Edited by Worntoathread
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, UP100 said:

Though I still doubt you need laser scanned data to those things instead of just a simple model of the track for example.

It depends on the legality of the region and as F1 is involved in dangerous motorsport I have no doubt they will be using the most accurate data they can. We used to use laser scanned data of streets to ensure the safety of local events to comply with legal and insurance requirements 

• Agree 1

Nice! 

Can't wait for next Thursday for some more gameplay. 

1 minute ago, TomAAA said:

It depends on the legality of the region and as F1 is involved in dangerous motorsport I have no doubt they will be using the most accurate data they can. We used to use laser scanned data of streets to ensure the safety of local events to comply with legal and insurance requirements 

Right, but safety is handled by the FIA. 

5 minutes ago, Worntoathread said:

I'm thinking (hoping) they removed mode 0 all together and rather made it 3 modes with an added overtake functionality

Mode 1 Charging 

Mode 2 Standard

Mode 3 High

Overtake button for max deployment ( O )

This is what i hope for as well, the basic idea from 2018-2019 is good but just gets too busy constantly managing ers modes which is distracting sometimes tbh 

Posted (edited)

Glad to see that Turn 5 / 7 / 8 / 9 and Sector 3 have been changed to the better, compared to last year.

Turn 11 is still way too steep and offcamber, compared to real life.

Many Kerbs are still missing either a sausage Kerb or the triangle white zig zag lines on the green parts of the Kerbs (mostly exit Kerbs).

Overall, a good step forward, but there's still room for improvement.

@BarryBL, i got 5 questions to Codemasters:

1.) Was Turn 9 of Spain taken flatout in this video, at around a speed of 260+kmh, as in real life? (In reality, every single team, even Williams, was able to take Turn 3 and Turn 9 flatout during the Winter Testing of 2020, whilst Turn 9 was taken at speeds around of 256kmh - 271kmh)

2.) Are the cars now grippy and aerodynamiclly strong enough, to take fast corners in a stable manner? (In reality, all teams were planted in the fast corners, to the point that it looked completely effortless)

3.) Was this the Renault Engine Sound Bundle of the 2020 game? (I really like the new TV Audio Option with the split audio channels, 1 for the standard engine sound and 1 for the exhaust)

4.) I did not see Estrella Galicia on the McLaren. Will it be included on the livery anytime soon? (Singha, a beer company, has been in F1 2019 on the Alfa Romeo. So why is Estrella Galicia not in the game?)

5.) Will you add the Fuel Mix, Brake Bias and Differential to the ingame steering wheel screen anytime soon? (This would improve Cockpit Driving by a huge amount and would give players a more realistic and immersive experience, especially if we also get the option to fully turn off the MFD)

Edited by TheEmpireWasRight
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@ReimvomSchleim Avoid posting the same thing to other threads, instead you can use the "Share this post" button 🙂 

image.png.533664f1a0acb7eab9700d841f23c6ff.png

For anyone reading this: ReimvomSchleim posted some comparison picks of this hot lap vs real life, so be sure to check it out!

• Thanks 1

The cars lap was around a 1:19. Bottas’ pole in 2019 was a 1:15. The cars are still so much slower than real life. 

@BarryBL could you please explain why? Or will the cars grip levels be increased to replicate real life?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tomi1997 said:

The cars lap was around a 1:19. Bottas’ pole in 2019 was a 1:15. The cars are still so much slower than real life. 

@BarryBL could you please explain why? Or will the cars grip levels be increased to replicate real life?

There's plenty of time to be found judging from the driving in this video, and then there's setups.

And it's a Mclaren.

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Tomi1997 said:

Personally I think the idea is literally just to show off the game rather than to actually put out a super competitive time or anything like that.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Worntoathread said:

There's plenty of time to be found judging from the driving in this video, and then there's setups.

And it's a Mclaren.

Looking at the vid, it seemed as if the driver was not pushing all the way. Still, McLaren should be able to break into the 1:16's easily in F1 2020 the game, judging from the boost in overall speed of the real life teams compared to their relative 2019 performances, the ingame cars have to be significantly faster than the ones of F1 2019 the game.

2020 cars are the fastest in F1 history after all, especially in the fast corners.

Either way, at least the steering wheel movements were not as dramatic anymore and much more stable at correct angles for certain corners, unlike in the Zandvoort video where i guess the driver probably did not calibrate the wheel correctly.

Edited by TheEmpireWasRight
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, TheEmpireWasRight said:

@BarryBL, i got 5 questions to Codemasters:

1.) Was Turn 9 of Spain taken flatout in this video, at around a speed of 260+kmh, as in real life? (In reality, every single team, even Williams, was able to take Turn 3 and Turn 9 flatout during the Winter Testing of 2020, whilst Turn 9 was taken at speeds around of 256kmh - 271kmh)

2.) Are the cars now grippy and aerodynamiclly strong enough, to take fast corners in a stable manner? (In reality, all teams were planted in the fast corners, to the point that it looked completely effortless)

3.) Was this the Renault Engine Sound Bundle of the 2020 game? (I really like the new TV Audio Option with the split audio channels, 1 for the standard engine sound and 1 for the exhaust)

4.) I did not see Estrella Galicia on the McLaren. Will it be included on the livery anytime soon? (Singha, a beer company, has been in F1 2019 on the Alfa Romeo. So why is Estrella Galicia not in the game?)

5.) Will you add the Fuel Mix, Brake Bias and Differential to the ingame steering wheel screen anytime soon? (This would improve Cockpit Driving by a huge amount and would give players a more realistic and immersive experience, especially if we also get the option to fully turn off the MFD)

Hi @TheEmpireWasRight,

At the moment, I can't disclose any extra information on F1 2020 outside of the teaser. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Worntoathread said:

And it's a Mclaren.

Well, Norris did a 1:17 in 2019. Considering this years cars are faster, not sure if it’s accurate. The whole point of the video is for it to be a hotlap

4 minutes ago, Tomi1997 said:

Well, Norris did a 1:17 in 2019. Considering this years cars are faster, not sure if it’s accurate. The whole point of the video is for it to be a hotlap

Hotlap basically means a lap around a circuit in this case. Also @PJTierney is more DiRTy than F1-y 😁

• Agree 2

9 minutes ago, TheEmpireWasRight said:

Either way, at least the steering wheel movements were not as dramatic anymore and much more stable at correct angle for certain corners, unlike in the Zandvoort video where i guess the driver probably did not calibrate the wheel correctly.

After Zandvoort I reviewed my approach to turning and wasn't as aggressive on the wheel 🙂 

Subsequently (ie: after this video was captured) I recalibrated my wheel and took Fanatec's recommended F1 2019 settings (and turned on Understeer Enhance as the wheel going light helps identify too much lock). Feels better now.

24 minutes ago, TheEmpireWasRight said:

1.) Was Turn 9 of Spain taken flatout in this video

Very nearly flat out, only the slightest of lifts for a brief moment. With a bit more bravery and the right setup that's easy flat.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2