Jump to content
Scheduled Updates and BETA Shutdown - 06/07/2020 Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Lewis confirms they do have ERS control

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Its been a hot topic the ERS management in the game, and I do agree the micro management every corner needs to go, but ers control still needed in the game. It is a bit worrying in the latest video game released lap of Spain the driver does a whole lap in 'overtake' mode surely that should be changed to hotlap?

Yesterday there was feature on SkyF1 channel where they spoke to Hamilton and Valterri and they both confirmed the drivers do have control over ERS in the car, contrary to what people think Lando said, he actually said the way this game handles it is not realistic, but they do have some form of control. 

Lewis spoke about in the race changing his 'SOC' -State of Charge mode on certain laps to try and claw back the deficit he had, putting his SOC to mode 1 to deploy more energy and changing back to another mode on other laps to get energy back. Obviously these are pre defined maps but prove drivers do manage ers in race. He said the team are not allowed to tell him what mode to use he must decide. Hence when he asks for more power on the radio he says he's not only asking to increase his STRAT and HPP (high performance power) modes of the engine but also his SOC mode. Valterri explained that when they get permission for more power they must change those three modes and also have the option of the OT (overtake) button

I really hope the game this year allows us control still over ERS but simplified and less micro management every corner, which it looks like it does, although it seems weird this year. But they also need to give us the option to assign an 'OVERTAKE" button that allows us max deployment, but the words im hearing basically say they won't include a button like that because the controller players won't have enough buttons to assign

Edited by TomAAA
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Energy modes are a thing to some extent at least, for some reason people suddenly started to think that they don't exist at all. There is even the Spanish GP crash in 2016 which was partly caused by Rosberg being in the energy conservation mode (Though Rosberg called it an engine setting*)

If this is true, thanks for posting 🙂 

Edited by UP100
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, UP100 said:

Energy modes are a thing to some extent at least, for some reason people suddenly started to think that they don't exist at all. There is even the Spanish GP crash in 2016 which was partly caused by Rosberg being in the energy conservation mode.

If this is true, thanks for posting 🙂 

Yes it is. You can watch videos on youtube of teams explaining the SOC mode on the steering wheel and how it works, changing the deployment map etc. Yes Rosbergs crash was caused by both being in the 'start' HPP mode and wrong SOC mode, again another great piece by SkyF1 where Rosberg recapped his entire 2016 season and he spoke about that race Here is a link of the official Mercedes page where they talk about the 'STRAT' mode controlling energy etc https://www.mercedesamgf1.com/en/news/2019/03/how-does-an-f1-steering-wheel-work/

Also here's the actual SOC (ers) dial on the Ferrari wheel 

 

F1-steering-wheel-ferrari-1.jpg

Edited by TomAAA
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the main error in Codemasters implementation is that the systems in the modern F1 cars know not to spend energy in low speed corners, so basically if you are in the Barcelona or Hockenheim final sector the car automatically limits it's deployment to save charge.

In F1 2019 we get a system that seems to be every time you touch the throttle you use some energy, which leads to people gaining and advantage by manually turning it off and on and cycling the settings manually in the middle of a straight.

  • Like 2
  • Agree 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@BarryBL Yes we still need the ability to still control the Fuel mix, a crucial feature in F1. And a simplified ERS mode that we can adjust on laps with an overtake button override.

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No worries @TomAAA, hopefully our Spain hotlap video gives some limited indication that we have changed ERS deployment and usage. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, BarryBL said:

No worries @TomAAA, hopefully our Spain hotlap video gives some limited indication that we have changed ERS deployment and usage. 

I liked the way the ERS mode was in previous games, because i really had to work on my wheel and i loved that. Continue changing the ERS mode on my wheel 😄

 

20191005_092838.thumb.jpg.48f52be55807b12f8d1da06936bf8d56.jpg

 

Can you explain what has been changed for 2020 game regarding the ERS? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, GioProductions said:

Can you explain what has been changed for 2020 game regarding the ERS? 

At the moment @GioProductions, I am unable to disclose any potential changes at this time. Stay tuned though, as soon as I have anything new for 2020 to share, Ill add it onto the forums.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We as players already have more direct control over strategy, setups, parts, engine modes etc. than real drivers do so I don't mind having unrealistic control over ERS either. It was just a chore to use on a gamepad so I'll be glad if it's toned down a bit.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, BarryBL said:

No worries @TomAAA, hopefully our Spain hotlap video gives some limited indication that we have changed ERS deployment and usage. 

Where tho? The ers isn't working in the hotlaps cause i assume they are done in time trial? where do i look? 😛



OT: While of course they can control their ers the deployment is mainly automatic and they don't change the ers into every corner. 
They have switches on the wheel that they use to set the car into certain presets.. But the car 'KNOWS" because of things like gear changes. where it is on track and what deployment to give at that certain time. (Hence why nando's mclaren failed when he took a corner flat out on his hotlap that the engineers didn't anticipate.. cause the ers was out of sync from that point.. although i assume they use smarter methods now that are more safe)

So while this is unrealistic. the only alternative, IMO, to what we have now (which is actually quite fun.. on pad and wheel) Is to allow us to set the ers specifically in the setup.. like.. how you would edit sound amplifiers... litteraly say (IN THE SETUP) for every part of the track what the deployment would be. and then make like 5 presets.. (safety car, hotlap, default (clear air), stuck in train, save ers) and then have the game automate that you pick a preset. that would be most realistic. As we have to be our own engineers in terms of the setup anyway, we should be able to do that too. 

That would be the most realistic approach i think. 
What we have now is the one that gives us by far the most control. you can save/deploy whenever you want, wherever you want. and is kinda equivalent to what the engineers would do before the race.. but we do it at 300+kph. but, IMO, we NEED the control over the ers. one way or another. automating it totally is not an alternative to this. 

Edited by Bicarda
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only thing I want is bind specific button to ERS mode, BTN01 > ERS 0 and BTN02 > ERS4.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BarryBL said:

No worries @TomAAA, hopefully our Spain hotlap video gives some limited indication that we have changed ERS deployment and usage. 

Why? Because there's a notification "overtake" on the wheel? Says to me no more than what mode it's in. I have that already on my Simhub dash so nothing new. There's no indication what's changed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Bicarda said:

Where tho? The ers isn't working in the hotlaps cause i assume they are done in time trial? where do i look? 😛



OT: While of course they can control their ers the deployment is mainly automatic and they don't change the ers into every corner. 
They have switches on the wheel that they use to set the car into certain presets.. But the car 'KNOWS" because of things like gear changes. where it is on track and what deployment to give at that certain time. (Hence why nando's mclaren failed when he took a corner flat out on his hotlap that the engineers didn't anticipate.. cause the ers was out of sync from that point.. although i assume they use smarter methods now that are more safe)

So while this is unrealistic. the only alternative, IMO, to what we have now (which is actually quite fun.. on pad and wheel) Is to allow us to set the ers specifically in the setup.. like.. how you would edit sound amplifiers... litteraly say (IN THE SETUP) for every part of the track what the deployment would be. and then make like 5 presets.. (safety car, hotlap, default (clear air), stuck in train, save ers) and then have the game automate that you pick a preset. that would be most realistic. As we have to be our own engineers in terms of the setup anyway, we should be able to do that too. 

That would be the most realistic approach i think. 
What we have now is the one that gives us by far the most control. you can save/deploy whenever you want, wherever you want. and is kinda equivalent to what the engineers would do before the race.. but we do it at 300+kph. but, IMO, we NEED the control over the ers. one way or another. automating it totally is not an alternative to this. 

Was warching the Video again and it's timetrial, tyre temps are fixed 100*

next to ERS bar is 0 or maybe O for overtake. Above is text overtake, i don't see the Overtake BUTTON beeing pushed though, so nope, no indication.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, AlexTT said:

Why? Because there's a notification "overtake" on the wheel? Says to me no more than what mode it's in. I have that already on my Simhub dash so nothing new. There's no indication what's changed.

@AlexTT, I did say a 'limited indication'.

More details will follow in the build up to the game. There's no indication what's changed because we haven't disclosed it.........................yet 😛 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BarryBL said:

@AlexTT, I did say a 'limited indication'.

More details will follow in the build up to the game. There's no indication what's changed because we haven't disclosed it.........................yet 😛 

Well i hope very much that whatever you decide gives us more control, not less.  no one's waiting on this stuff too being dumbed down. 
Although i can see something happening like there being 4 modes and overtake being the button (like kers?) 

that wouldn't 'really' fix the labour intensiveness of the current system though. it would just be this but slightly different. 
I think the only way you can do to stop people from having to go from 3 to 0 to 1 to 0 to 3 again every corner, is having us able to set the drs beforehand. (give us a track map, make us click where to make a change (like click to *split*), and then set drs for that part. and then do that for every part of the track. and then have multiple presets of that (that you set yourself.. in the setups) 
That way it works most realistically. and we have all the control ourselves (although maybe not during the race as then the presets are already set in stone, but that is also realistic i guess) and still it will kinda work like auto in the race. where you change it as the situation you're in changes but not 8 times on a straight. 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BarryBL said:

because we haven't disclosed it.........................yet 😛 

I hope you're not ENJOYING this too much Barry. I know SOME people would!

😉🤣

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, BarryBL said:

@AlexTT, I did say a 'limited indication'.

More details will follow in the build up to the game. There's no indication what's changed because we haven't disclosed it.........................yet 😛 

We will buy F1 2020, anyway. No matter whether cult of ERS manipulation will be changed or not. No need to hide it.)

Edited by sergey_blackbird
spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×