Sign in to follow this  

Dropping from 100% to 50% Races

So ever since getting the F1 2010 game I have always ran full length races to try and replicate the real races as much as possible and practice when possible but lately I have been running practice sessions in career at 50% then doing the race in full.

Is it cheating to half the races since esports is now half race length and most leagues are too been thinking I might aswell do same.

Just wondered what everyone does?

To be honest, I think 50% is the perfect race length, as you said most leagues and esports uses it and me personally, I also drive 50% races with Short quali. 

I think you would join a big majority who race 50% rather than 100%. 

I do like the feeling of cars being heavy and the car getting lighter but I guess since the game doesnt offer any way of knowing AI race paces/fuel modes anyway then it wouldnt be so bad. I mean I do not do 5 day test matchesxon Big Ants Crickey games and 90 min football games 😂

Managed to get through Monaco on 100% for the first time in about 6 years was actually good on pace so I can say that atleast and 50% is still a 39 lap race!

• Haha 1

What do you mean, cheating? The length of the races is a matter of preference and how much time you can invest into the game while still having fun.

50% is a good spot for tyre strategy to work, it kinda falls apart at 25% let alone anything below that, but 25% and below are probably the most popular for the majority of players.

• Agree 1

I just want to remind you that eSport races are 25% only, far from the official number of laps.

I run 50% races (full qualifying) and have done since F1 2010.

I find it the perfect balance between race time and actual progression through the career mode - don't think I'd ever get to the end of a season doing full length races!

Since I went from 25 to 100 % I cannot imagine going back. My argument is that there is so much more strategy involved in the full race and more ways to change result around yet I still spent the exact amount of time racing. At first there is the excitement of different venues and advancing career fast but once you've seen all the tracks and then have to do them all again over and over I prefer just to relax and get involved in own race more. As long as I can do one race a day, usually practice and Qualy then a break then fresh for the race I'm fine. Comes down to if I'm enjoying myself I don't want it to stop! I saw the interlagos esport race and tbh I wish it had been full length. It flew by and kept me fascinated start to finish.

It's also way easier imo to not get caught out by tire issues, takes quite a few laps of degradation before I have to pit so I can choose a good time to box.

Now if it's raining the whole race that's different! I hate the rain.... 🏎️😂

• Agree 2

See what you described @sloppysmusic is my fear I am basically cutting the racing I am used to in half so I might find it a dilluted experience.

With that said though f1 2016 was the last game I managed more than 1 season as I did 3 full 100% seasons but got 2 kids now lol

Only 1 full season in 17 and 18 and as i venture into othet titles and the online race scene I do not imagine I will race more on f1 games.

• Agree 2

Just now, AdamFreeman said:

See what you described @sloppysmusic is my fear I am basically cutting the racing I am used to in half so I might find it a dilluted experience.

With that said though f1 2016 was the last game I managed more than 1 season as I did 3 full 100% seasons but got 2 kids now lol

Only 1 full season in 17 and 18 and as i venture into othet titles and the online race scene I do not imagine I will race more on f1 games.

I hear ya I have multiple commitments myself. It all comes down to quality vs quantity for me. As long as I'm enjoying the actual racing I don't really care if it never 'finishes'. After all I still have a whole year to play before the next game. Why not just stretch it out? Once you DO actually finish a career there is not much incentive to start all over so I don't mind stretching it out. Also makes each race a real event to look forward to if you can only manage one every week or 2.

So yeh as long as you're actually enjoying the experience without feeling rushed then it's all good mate!

To add on what I said earlier, I'm an awful more of an online player and than offline, so that's why I probably prefer 50% races, as I very rarely race Singleplayer.

But I have to agree with what @sloppysmusic said, the strategy options in 100% races are so much more open, as in 50% it is usually still a one stop race, with the exception of 3-4 circuits maybe. 

For league racing, the one or 2 times I tried a 100% race I was just hoping for it to end, but on an offline, chilled experience could be a lot of fun 🙂

• Agree 1

My next race is canada (a personal fav of mine) dont really wanna half do that but I guess now as good a time as any.

Be like the channel 4 version of the f1 races lol

I ran 100% distances for years, then reduced to 50 last year, really only because of lack of time. There's nothing wrong with doing it, it's personal choice, but I'm back at 100% this year, and saving mid race when I need to.

I'm glad to be back at full distance P/Q/R, there's definitely a 'fuller' feeling of the whole weekend development sessions and then the race strategy playing out. Plus, I know the sense of achievement to finish full races at Monaco, it feels like a win if you get the car home on target, even if it's 10th or less, depending on the team. 🙂

• Like 1

I have the exact same thing. 
I always did 100% career and only that. But since i started league racing and those races are 50% any ai race i do (which i do scarcely because driving with actual people is just 100x better.. ai is boring and rigid) i also do at 50%. 

It feels like the game is kinda balanced around it too. although there's still quite a few tracks where s-m is still the no-brainer strat. 

1 thing i do NOT like about 50% though is this: 
Think about it. tire wear is doubled in 50%. which makes sense. but the pitstop length is the same.  which means that a 2 stopper is just never really viable, because while your softs wear twice as fast (e.g. 6 laps vs 12) you have only half the laps to actually gain back the pitstop (making up 20 seconds in 12 laps on faster tires is not unthinkable. but you're not making up 20 seconds in 6, not in the least because after just 3 laps your tires will already be halfway there whereas after 3 laps at 100% distance the tires will be 25% there... and thus still relatively faster)  So on EVERY track it's always: S-M doesn't work? M-H it is then! because any 2 stop hurts you DOUBLE in 50% (Same pitstop length, half the laps to make up time) 

I don't really know what would be the best solution for this.. maybe tire wear in 50% races should be 250% instead of 200% to make tire management that bit more important and also allow for 2 stop strategies. (I'm mainly thinking e-sports and league racing here) In a way it only amplifies the issue but it will make those s-m one stops considerably harder  to do..  But then every race might become just m-h.. That being said i think a bit more wear would be a good thing regardless. as the hards can practically do the entire race on every track. 

I don't have a real solution but i do think it would be better if the 2 stop got a bit more viable. So if anyone has ideas 😛

Hmmm.. They could speed up pit stops 2x. So the moment the ai took control of your car everything moved double speed. Yes I know it would look silly but at least it would solve most of the problems?

😎

4 minutes ago, AdamFreeman said:

You guys are making me wanna do 100% again already 😂

You know you WANT to! Be honest you only posted here cos you wanted a few people to say yeh great idea that and it's brilliant.

Except we didn't lol. Cos it isn't 🤣

It's really hard once you've raced 100 % to ever do less. You know all the things you will miss about full races and of course all your pacing and strats have to be changed and it doesn't feel 'right' somehow... I mean if you are enjoying a good race why would you want it to stop anyway?? The pure satisfaction of nailing that second pit stop and knowing you have 15 or so laps left to catch the leader. Settle back down into a good rhythm, time is on your side all you have to do is stick to the plan....

😁

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, sloppysmusic said:

You know you WANT to! Be honest you only posted here cos you wanted a few people to say yeh great idea that and it's brilliant.

Except we didn't lol. Cos it isn't 🤣

It's really hard once you've raced 100 % to ever do less. You know all the things you will miss about full races and of course all your pacing and strats have to be changed and it doesn't feel 'right' somehow... I mean if you are enjoying a good race why would you want it to stop anyway?? The pure satisfaction of nailing that second pit stop and knowing you have 15 or so laps left to catch the leader. Settle back down into a good rhythm, time is on your side all you have to do is stick to the plan....

😁

maybe its just with league racing being on the half really. Might compromise with the half practice sessions then 100% racing 😄

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

I'm a 100% distance user. Started with 50% for the first 3-4 races and immediately jumped to 100% at the time. It's a different world and against the AI it allows you to respect the AI instead of dive bombing or leading the train. It's all about pace. But as someone said it requires time. I never do practice sessions and even in career mode I jump all practice programs.

A full 50% weekend with detailed tuning and setup adjustments, practice sessions and programs takes the exact same time of a quick full qualify and 100% race.

I think it has a lot to do with the experience you are looking for. I think the majority of 100% users are driving 99% of the time. At least it was for me. I made the choice of giving away practice and well made setups to just drive...

Edited by sirio994
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Recently I have been using default setups with small adjustments and to improve the experience I've turned off parc ferme to be able to tune the car directly in qualify without having to trust the setup and race the full distance with a bad car. The mindset plays its part too. In my gaming life I've crashed at Monaco last time with 5 laps to go, thrown away a win at Monaco in full wet with 3 laps to go. Crashed at Spa once in F12018 in sector 3 of lap 44/44. But I've also won races defending the position or overtaking in the final lap or after crazy comebacks. Highs and lows can be amazing racing the full distance...

Edited by sirio994
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, sirio994 said:

I never do practice sessions and even in career mode I jump all practice programs. 

My next career I will stimulating practice and will use full qualifying as my 'practice'. Once you've done those practice sessions every race for 20 seasons you never want to see them ever again anyway! So yeh your method gives you maximum time actual racing and having fun and just tosses away the filling!

🏁😁

Interesting what guys do with practice it does get a bit of a chore since you kinda have to go against the game to have a realistic practice sessionm but time on track is where you can improve so i do like some sort of practice session.

in f1 19 you can have short practices and just knock it back up to your race distance before the race if you want less practice.

The softsare useless at 50%

It takes me about 3 hours to do a GP weekend at 50% race because I am new to franchise and still learning all the tracks. So very active in P1 & P2; not so much in P3 to save gearbox.. and then full Q. Usually 1 run in Q1, 1 of 2 in Q2, and then just one in Q3.

50% race... 3 hrs and physical exhaustion from going flat out most of that time.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, sloppysmusic said:

My next career I will stimulating practice and will use full qualifying as my 'practice'. Once you've done those practice sessions every race for 20 seasons you never want to see them ever again anyway! So yeh your method gives you maximum time actual racing and having fun and just tosses away the filling!

🏁😁

Actually just starting a new save with the same plan, but because quali will also be my practice, I'm going to have to disable Parc Ferme rules so I've got room manage the car's setup.

But you're right about practice programs, they're more about immersion for the "life of a driver" side of things, same with the interviews - I 'm not bothered about either (wish I could disable the interviews too), I prefer to use my imagination as to what's going on behind the scenes.

In Q3 and beaten kimi for first time this season in canada so have to start on the red tyre which will be ***** in 50% mode right.

Can see this being a 70 lap race suddenly!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, s00zster said:

(wish I could disable the interviews too)

Dang I can't stand those but you can't button mash cos it costs you dev time! It's so silly. The whole thing is based around the belief that your entire car development team is listening in and if you praise some people they give half price work time and if you don't they give you full price.. Can you imagine Lewis giving an interview and he says "great race but me daft wing wuz 'anging off half the ruddy time. It wuz reet crappy that wor"... Then his aero people thinking "wot a reet berk eh? Hammy wor callin' us reet daft eh.. Tha cheeky bugger!" Then they work to rule before his next race to get slower upgrades.....

Nope!

🏎️🤣🙄

PS apologies for the accent right out of Viz Comic I couldn't help it sorry! 🤣 😎

• Haha 1