F1 2019 Engine failure?? Newbie help!

Hey there,

Hoping someone can help a newbie out here! I've recently picked up a copy of F1 2019, really enjoying it so far but have hit a slightly confusing issue in race 2 of the career mode (Bahrain). My first race was fairly messy but I finished in the top 10...I then moved onto race 2, completed practice and qualifying without any problems. I then started the race, here's where my issues began. Halfway through the race the engineer tells me the engine is being thrashed (I can't remember the exact terminology he used but basically thrashed)....initially I ignored this and carried on racing. A few laps later and my engine blows, at this point I thought it must be something to do with how I'm driving, too higher revs perhaps so I restart the race and was short shifting throughout the whole race (to the point where it just didn't sound right but wanted to test my theory) this time the car lasted longer but again the engine popped?? I retried the race for a third time and this time I was super delicate on the throttle and was lifting where possible and yet the engine went for a third time?!?

What am I doing wrong? Like I say I had no issues in my first race with the engineer warning me about engine wear and although I'm certainly no expert.......the way I'm shifting doesn't audibly sound unreasonable, I'm not red lining the car down the straights in 1st!

Any help would be much appreciated, I'm a little surprised at how little hand holding there is in the game tbh. 

Cheers,

J.

Are you overheating the engine? (I believe the game generates more engine heat in rich mix, though I believe lean mix IRL would be more likely to create additional engine heat)

Running off track

Taking too much kerb

Bad shifting late shifting

Numerous Practice/ Qualifying Laps

All while doing Full Race Distance take a toll on the engine.  Sounds like those first race issues exacted a toll on the power train. As I’m sure you’ve seen each component has a max recommended number of laps known as engine life span.

Staying on track smoother shifting, upgrading your reliability and engine components should get you through the season without taking on penalty points swapping out components before their time. 

I use one or two laps for each practice programme and even one shot qualifying, just to keep engine wear down.

Hope that helped a bit  

Thanks for the help chaps,

I think it is most likely down to engine overheating. @ReeceWon Your comment on Numerous Practice/Qualifying laps might be the cause. I spent a huge number of laps in practice learning the track and to be honest was not keeping track of engine wear at all (I'm not sure I even opened that part of the UI up tbh) Do you know of a way I can learn the tracks outside of career mode so as not to add extra wear on the car? I get the realism aspect of what's happening here but as a completely new user I think I need a bit more time on the tracks. I'm sure 2nd or 3rd career run throughs I won't need all this practice but right now it's definitely required! 

Cheers,

J.  

2 hours ago, DrRobovnik said:

Thanks for the help chaps,

I think it is most likely down to engine overheating. @ReeceWon Your comment on Numerous Practice/Qualifying laps might be the cause. I spent a huge number of laps in practice learning the track and to be honest was not keeping track of engine wear at all (I'm not sure I even opened that part of the UI up tbh) Do you know of a way I can learn the tracks outside of career mode so as not to add extra wear on the car? I get the realism aspect of what's happening here but as a completely new user I think I need a bit more time on the tracks. I'm sure 2nd or 3rd career run throughs I won't need all this practice but right now it's definitely required! 

Cheers,

J.  

I'd suggest jumping into a Time Trial session and selecting the car you're using in career mode.

This is a great way to learn the track without the time limit of a practice session and the consequences of engine wear, and will also give you more time with your car in order to understand it's nuances better.

Hope this helps 🙂

Thanks @mattb97, that sounds spot on 👍

So what is the status of my current career race at Bahrain now my engine is crippled? Is that race now compromised completely leaving the only option to move onto the next race and replace the engine? 

• Thanks 1

Thanks @mattb97, that sounds spot on 👍

So what is the status of my current career race at Bahrain now my engine is crippled? Is that race now compromised completely leaving the only option to move onto the next race and replace the engine? 

You get either two or three replacement parts for the engine depending on the part. You can either change them from the career hub (the office) or from the garage during a session. If your parts are completely worn from the practice then you can change them to the second set. You will likely need a 3rd or 4th set of certain parts if you've worn the engine out that soon during the season which is possible in the menu but will incur grid penalties for the race you do it at.

I think I might be screwed then (at least for this race) As I've already started the race previously when I reload the game and enter career mode I get taken directly to the race (i.e sitting on the start grid) & so skipping the career hub office bit altogether. I'm also in Parc ferme now so can't access the power train section (which makes sense) whilst on the grid. Just checked the MFD and my ICE is at 97% wear.....think completing the race on this will be quite a struggle. 

Think I'm getting my head around how all this needs to be more carefully monitored though and practicing the tracks in Time Trial will save me thrashing my power unit whist learning the tracks for sure.

Cheers for all your helpful comments.

J.

I tend to do what some drivers do in real life to some extent. If I have a bad time at a certain track I cut my losses by ordering a complete new batch of engine parts (plus engine itself and gearbox). Then I reserve this for qualifying and racing and use the older parts for practice. Of course if you need a lot of track practice just to learn the track then yes definitely start by doing TT.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I think I might be screwed then (at least for this race) As I've already started the race previously when I reload the game and enter career mode I get taken directly to the race (i.e sitting on the start grid) & so skipping the career hub office bit altogether. I'm also in Parc ferme now so can't access the power train section (which makes sense) whilst on the grid. Just checked the MFD and my ICE is at 97% wear.....think completing the race on this will be quite a struggle. 

Think I'm getting my head around how all this needs to be more carefully monitored though and practicing the tracks in Time Trial will save me thrashing my power unit whist learning the tracks for sure.

Cheers for all your helpful comments.

J.

If you're only on Race 2, you could start over.  Frankly, I've done that twice now, and I've only had the game for a month.  😛  Live and learn.  One thing I did this time around was to focus entirely on Durability in R&D.  That will prolong the life of your ICE, gearbox, etc, as much as possible.

Someone else mentioned using one ICE for P1 and P2, then using a different ICE for the race (like using a practise gearbox).  That will also lengthen the life of the ICE - especially the first one, which gets beat up while you're working on R&D to finish the durability upgrades.

I also tend to put in the minimal number of practise laps.  It may not be as realistic, but it saves the powertrain.  15 to 20 per practise session is about my average.  And for Quali, 1 hotlap on each set of tires, then back to the garage.  Unless my first hotlap is terrible, then I'll usually just do a second right away.

It might not sound glamorous upgrading reliability compared to supercool power and aero upgrades but without them each race you get noticeably weaker and weaker which really sucks when you're trying to compete and get better. Fully upgraded reliability will lead to most of your car parts easily lasting HALF the season which gives you a huge advantage over the ai cars who see using clapped out parts basically. It just means the first season is pretty low key but that's OK as you need a whole season anyway to get acclimatized to the tracks, car and game /race operations.

Posted (edited)

I think upgrading reliability sounds like a sensible option for sure 👍 As does swapping out parts depending on where you are in the race weekend.

Do you guys have any advice on setting the Ai level? Currently I've left it alone from install...so I think it's 20%. I feel like this is probably too low as I'm qualifing on pole, the ai at this level seems a bit all over the place though, super hard to pass on the straights but stupidly slow in corners...... especially braking into them, which has caused me the most issues as I'm crashing into the back of them loads if I don't allow some extreme distance to them. 

The only reason I haven't raised their level up so far is that the races are still kinda competitive but in a weird way because I've got to drive way different to how I normally would so as not to damage the car. 

Edited by DrRobovnik

It should be set so that when you make a great turn you make a small gain on the car ahead imo. As long as it's a similar level team car. If you're catching them up driving poorly without trying that's not much fun after the first few wins. If you drive brilliant and they still pull away its too high. Ideally you  should be doing the same pace as your team mate so that's a good indicator. If you beat him every time set a little higher ai and vice versa.

40 minutes ago, DrRobovnik said:

The only reason I haven't raised their level up so far is that the races are still kinda competitive but in a weird way because I've got to drive way different to how I normally would so as not to damage the car. 

I hear you.  I have mine set lower than it should be because I don't want to stress over that aspect right now.  I'm getting used to the game (played F1 2012 for the last 7 years) and having fun learning the ropes.  Once I have the basics under my belt, I'll start looking for my perfect AI level.

@sloppysmusic gives a great method to find your perfect AI.  Start at 50.  If you finish higher than expected, raise it by 1.  If you higher lower than expected (without screwing up during the race) drop it by 1.  There's more to it, but it got complicated and it's been a long week.  😛

• Agree 1

Thanks, some good tips there. I think as @sloppysmusic said "when you make a great turn you make a small gain on the car ahead" this sounds like a really sensible approach. That's definitely not the case for me currently. I'll try bumping it up by 10. I'm driving in the Mclaren so I'm assuming in season 1 that there respective positioning in the field should be approximately where they were in real life at the start of 2019 right?

J.  

• Agree 1

Thanks, some good tips there. I think as @sloppysmusic said "when you make a great turn you make a small gain on the car ahead" this sounds like a really sensible approach. That's definitely not the case for me currently. I'll try bumping it up by 10. I'm driving in the Mclaren so I'm assuming in season 1 that there respective positioning in the field should be approximately where they were in real life at the start of 2019 right?

J.  

That's right although it's entirely up to you how realistic you want it to be. That point about making a great turn was from human psychology. To enioy any learning experience we need to see reward for our efforts which encourages us to work harder and get greater rewards. If the ai is set too high you can do that perfect lap yet show nothing for it which is demoralizing and discourages us. That's why when you find that sweet ai spot for you every lap you experience several small gains and losses if you slip up. It's when EVERY corner counts that you start actually improving your game. So yeh hit that apex perfectly and gain a visible gap reduction. Miss it and the guy in your mirror inches a little closer to you. THAT'S the sweet spot write it down quick lol.

• Agree 1