Scheduled Updates and BETA Shutdown - 06/07/2020 Read more... ×

So Dirt 5 is next gen but not F1 2020

Posted (edited)

@BarryBL Today it was announced that Dirt 5 will be codemasters first next gen game for PS5 and Xbox series X and will rereleased in October. Will F1 2020 be enhanced for the new next gen consoles?

It seems strange that the biggest codemasters game, F1 2020,  that only releases two months earlier than Dirt 5 will not be next gen enhanced? Will the team be bringing the enhancements for F1 2020, especially considering how Dirt 5 already looks with the promised enhancements. It would be a major misfire not to have codemasters main top title F1 2020 enhanced on the next gen consoles, even f1 2017 was enhanced for Xbox one X when it released at the time.

EXbV4FHXYAMpZPL.jpg

Edited by TomAAA
  • Disagree 1

Posted (edited)

I'm guessing they'll save the first next-gen game to run on a new/updated engine as they did with 2015. They've probably been developing the new Dirt for a while longer with no obligation to release a new game every year. We can probably expect F1 2021 to be a bigger change and to be built from scratch for the new platforms, fingers crossed they won't repeat the same mistakes and have a fully fledged game ready for the first iteration unlike '15.

Edited by Worntoathread
  • Agree 5

The technical jargon is about the same for this gen console & the nextgen consoles. Only processing power is better.

The footage is rendered via engine, so you won't get all that fidelity in the picture quality. Although the difference in the end product will be minimal as usual. It will look more or less the same as GRID 2019 for the average joe.

• Like 1

I wouldn't call F1 2020 the biggest Codemasters game... Codies were known for GRID and DIRT before Codemasters Birmingham (the F1 studio) even existed!

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, UP100 said:

I wouldn't call F1 2020 the biggest Codemasters game... Codies were known for GRID and DIRT before Codemasters Birmingham (the F1 studio) even existed!

That's true. It was mostly their successes with those games which helped them get the f1 license if I'm right?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I do worry that F1 2021 will be a repeat of 2015 that really was so disappointing. Hopefully they have learnt and won’t strip everything back and start again 

• Agree 1

I feel F1 2020 could potentially get an enhanced patch to make more use of the next gen consoles later in the year but of course it isn’t guaranteed. Worse case scenario both the new consoles are backwards compatible so we’ll still be able to play the game on the new hardware.

I fully expect F1 2021 to be a lot more focussed on making more use of what the next gen consoles are capable of but not sure whether it would require a whole new engine like F1 2015 did, but I guess only the developers themselves can answer that.  

I guess one question is whether F1 2021 (if they went for a June release next year) will also be available on PS4 and Xbox One, or strictly next gen only. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, stephensmattlee said:

I feel F1 2020 could potentially get an enhanced patch to make more use of the next gen consoles later in the year but of course it isn’t guaranteed. Worse case scenario both the new consoles are backwards compatible so we’ll still be able to play the game on the new hardware.

I fully expect F1 2021 to be a lot more focussed on making more use of what the next gen consoles are capable of but not sure whether it would require a whole new engine like F1 2015 did, but I guess only the developers themselves can answer that.  

I guess one question is whether F1 2021 (if they went for a June release next year) will also be available on PS4 and Xbox One, or strictly next gen only. 

More than likely I imagine it will be the same as the last time. PS4 and Xbox one came out in Xmas 2013 the last game for PS3 Xbox 360 was F1 '14.  F1 2015 was the first for that (xbox one PS4) generation. We'll probably see F1 2022 to be the first game on the new gen. Makes sense as the new rules will be introduced by then       

Edited by Chromatic
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

But is Dirt 5 on a "new gen" game engine, specifically tailored for the next gen consoles?

I personally hope that F1 2021 will not be a next gen exclusive with the newest game engine, but that F1 2022 will be the title to get the treat. As 2022 will be the year where F1 is going to move to another era of racing, and why not cherish that moment with a high quality product? Imo, this would allow for more development time to fix and iron out the "new gen" game engine and to get valuable feedback and help from Slightly Mad Studios. Maybe this way Codemasters could possibly make their game engine more complex and realistic, in terms of physics and handling.

Whatever happens, hopefully Slightly Mad Studio gets to cooperate more closely to the development of the newest game engine.

(Maybe Codemasters even simply takes over the Madness engine, to be the new inhouse software to work with for all departments, similarly to EA and the Frostbite engine etc.?!)

https://www.slightlymadstudios.com/madness/

PS: SMS also already has multiple assets to laserscanned tracks and give the players the ability to use VR, why not make use of it?

Edited by TheEmpireWasRight
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, TheEmpireWasRight said:

But is Dirt 5 on a "new gen" game engine, specifically tailored for the next gen consoles?

I personally hope that F1 2021 will not be a next gen exclusive with the newest game engine, but that F1 2022 will be the title to get the treat. As 2022 will be the year where F1 is going to move to another era of racing, and why not cherish that moment with a high quality product? Imo, this would allow for more development time to fix and iron out the "new gen" game engine and to get valuable feedback and help from Slightly Mad Studios. Maybe this way Codemasters could possibly make their game engine more complex and realistic, in terms of physics and handling.

Whatever happens, hopefully Slightly Mad Studio gets to cooperate more closely to the development of the newest game engine.

(Maybe Codemasters even simply takes over the Madness engine, to be the new inhouse software to work with for all departments, similarly to EA and the Frostbite engine etc.?!)

https://www.slightlymadstudios.com/madness/

PS: SMS also already has multiple assets to laserscanned tracks and give the players the ability to use VR, why not make use of it?

SMS is an incredible legacy for Codemasters. Reading the article there are a myriad of details that make the difference, just to name one the live track 3.0. Laser scanner of the tracks, Codemasters should read that article and immediately make a fision with the SMS programmers. Crazy games can come out with the new consoles. F1 2021 or 2022 with a new graphic layout, simulation physics, real-time update of the track change, dynamic weather done properly, new laser scanner damage system. This is a long-term investment that can bring the game of f1 to a level and quality never seen before. We count on you, you have everything you need to do all this. It is what we Need. @UP100

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, mikyesposto95 said:

SMS is an incredible legacy for Codemasters. Reading the article there are a myriad of details that make the difference, just to name one the live track 3.0. Laser scanner of the tracks, Codemasters should read that article and immediately make a fision with the SMS programmers. Crazy games can come out with the new consoles. F1 2021 or 2022 with a new graphic layout, simulation physics, real-time update of the track change, dynamic weather done properly, new laser scanner damage system. This is a long-term investment that can bring the game of f1 to a level and quality never seen before. We count on you, you have everything you need to do all this. It is what we Need. @UP100

Just as a note: I'm just a volunteer moderator 🙂

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, UP100 said:

Just as a note: I'm just a volunteer moderator 🙂

Blame the blue!

🙄🤣

• Haha 1

Being that this game will be released before the new Xbox, it makes sense not to  optimize the game for a platform that does not yet exist.  

I can remember the frustration waiting for Gran Turismo 7 to be the first gt game on the current consoles, then finding out it had been shelved for the arcade GT Sport.

It would be really awesome to have a 4K 120 fps mode added via an update for next-gen consoles, even if it comes with no other enhancements.