F1 2019 Help - New to this

Hi all

Hope this is OK to post just wanted some advice. I've had a bit of a play on an F1 game before. Think it was 2016. Still very much a rookie. 

Can anyone recommend or give me any tips?

I'd quite like a career mode where I stay for a couple of years and then maybe move up. First couple of years with no real pressure and can afford to get used to it and be at the back end if needed.

Any teams that I can do that with? Also, how does the R&D work. Is it all technical as I like the game but I'm not a big F1 fan so it doesnt make that much sense. Anything I should target?

Thanks for any help anyone can give me

• Like 1

Welcome!  If you want a nice chill team, do like I did and go with Williams.  They don't expect much (qualify 19th) and it's a fun challenge to take them to the top through R&D.  It also gives you an "in" to Mercedes, as they use the same Driver Training.

For R&D, I've read that it's best to focus on durability first.  The ICE and gearbox will die early on if you don't, and you'll be taking a lot of penalties for new ones later in the season.

I've basically ignored all aero, engine, and chassis stuff and have my ICE and gearbox fully durable, and my Turbo is nearly done as well.

Again, welcome, and if you have any other questions, don't be afraid to ask.  Most of the people here are pretty helpful.  🙂

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, DrDraken said:

I've basically ignored all aero, engine, and chassis stuff and have my ICE and gearbox fully durable, and my Turbo is nearly done as well

Wow mate that's EXACTLY what I do too. I also do all price drop upgrades too first before spending money. Then the upgrades start arriving thick and fast sometimes several each weekend!

The only problem with this method though is that only the middle game is a level field. For almost 2 seasons you're dead last, then you have a great sesson or 2 where you make some huge gains, climbing through the field race by race until you win your first championship. Then you can leave the field behind and have an OP teammate who you  can't beat by season 5 when you are fully upgraded.

Someone could write a whole guide on the different ways to play career depending on what you want to get out if it.

My simple advice would be to just make sure you are loving the racing itself and set goals you can reach. I think the most fun starts happening when you  stop thinking about wins and podiums and instead realize how much fun it is to battle against other drivers and teams on a level with yours. Finishing 14 a few car lengths ahead of your rival in 15 th feels pretty amazing. THAT'S when you get F1 itself, and realize there are multiple battles going on all the time around you no matter what your position.

• Like 2

Thanks for the help guys.

Do I need to upgrade the other stuff to? How does that all fit in? Sorry I'm literally an idiot when it comes to this. I just love the racing. 

I've read the engine can blow a lot too? I'm not much good on saving tyres. Or I wasnt on the last one. Does that have anything to do with it? How can I minimise the chance? Do I even need to change the engine myself or does your team recommend these things?

Your team will tell you when you are allowed a free ICE or gearbox upgrade in case you forget its knackered lol. A worn out engine will always blow up eventually. You can order as many as you like but the next race you get a grid penalty. So if you're upgrading before you're supposed to legally make sure you order a lot of parts at once.

There is no sure way to guarantee everyone gets a good career. A lot of it is trial and error so just use the first season to learn the ropes and experiment plus have fun!

Just make sure to use older parts for practice and newer ones for qualifying and racing and you'll be good. I've said that so many times! If you have low reliability and parts wear out too fast you have to limit your practice sessions to important programs only.

How would I use older parts? Do you select them?

Sorry for being a nuisance

It's in setup screen when you're in the pits during a race session. You can't change them if you're not at a circuit. You can start switching back to older parts for practice as soon as you want. Engines and gearboxes you have to wait until 6 races is up from memory but the smsller parts you get several to start with so just keep a good set for when you want to go fastest. It's pretty easy to manage and the game will tell you  BEFORE you  choose a new part that will incur a penalty. Once you have upgraded your first engine /gearbox you can always switchback to the old ones at any time. Might as well wear them out in practice and save the good ones!

Posted (edited)

Does the F2 series at the start impact who you join? If I want to go to Wiliams who would I choose?

Any recommendations on a Ai difficulty to start with? I'm amateur-average really

Edited by MattP84

Start on 50 and every race where finish higher than expected raise it 1 point. If you finish lower and it wasn't due to a bad crash then Lowe it 1. After a full season of 20 races or so (remember those lol?) you will start to see it leveling off at your natural level. If you're really good it might take 2 seasons to level off. This way you will ALWAYS find your sweet spot. Every race you win also drop it by 1 point. If you want to know faster then use the binary method of calculating unknown variables. Not explaining that right now tho lol.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, MattP84 said:

Does the F2 series at the start impact who you join? If I want to go to Wiliams who would I choose?

Any recommendations on a Ai difficulty to start with? I'm amateur-average really

The F2 in the beginning has no impact on who you choose for your F1 career.  However, if you want to choose Williams (or any Mercedes-affiliated constructor) then you should try to lean on the "Sportsmanship" side when answering questions with Claire.  That will help your reputation with those teams and get you a better contract.

F2 impacts not much. You can skip it as well if you like. I think Mercedes driver academy may help with Williams but it is irrelevant compared to hitting team goals. Put the AI below what you need to hit practice goals comfortably. It is ok to do a full season in easy or very easy with assists in order to not get frustrated and quit.

Posted (edited)

Appreciate all the help. Played it a bit. I have a few questions. I've saved them up rather than annoy everyone and posting loads. 

F1 2016 was last one I played a bit. I was OK at that. I used to play on medium / hard and I could finish top ten in some races with the back marker cars. I was OK on the Acclimatisation ones, but truly awful on the tyre management ones. I literally don't think I ever got one lap where I didn't even get a green. So thats about my ability lol

I have started this on with 50% distance, so Practice are 45 mins. 

1) Is it worth me taking the recommendation from the garage as to what to upgrade and taking their word?

2) On the display, there is a H / D which you can change on track? Same with the fuel type? Does this matter too much for someone like me? I honestly don't understand any of it. These are at the bottom of the screen when on track?

3) When I started, I chose tyre temperature as just track rather than carcass? Is that better for me too given me previous experience with tyres?

4) Any advice on using the sessions? Do I need to be wary of doing so many laps incase engine goes as others have said? 

5) Just did a Qualifying pace test and run out of fuel on the in lap at the end?

6) I'm only in P2 of race 1 and in Vehicle Management its saying I've used at least two of everything? Am I doing something wrong? I'm on third Industrialist Combustion Engine?

Sorry for going on and bugging people. Enjoying it so far though. 

Edited by MattP84

1 hour ago, MattP84 said:

1) Is it worth me taking the recommendation from the garage as to what to upgrade and taking their word?

It's not the best route to take, but can be helpful, if you do not know what to upgrade for each individual team. Every team has their strengths and weaknesses, you need to find out where your team is lacking, and try to fix it by upgrading accordingly. A Mercedes does not need immediate engine upgrades. A Renault or Red Bull does. Meanwhile a Ferrari could get some more Aero upgrades. Whereas the Williams needs everything before even thinking about upgrading the Engine.

My tip: Try to upgrade the Cost Reduction (at least lvl3), and Failure Reduction (at least lvl2) perks first, for all departments of the R&D tree. This way, you will save a lot of time and R&D points.

2) On the display, there is a H / D which you can change on track? Same with the fuel type? Does this matter too much for someone like me? I honestly don't understand any of it. These are at the bottom of the screen when on track?

H = Harvesting energy for the ERS, limited to 1 single lap.

D = Deploying energy of the ERS limited, to 1 single lap.

ERS = Energy Recovery System. The long yellow bar indicates the maximum amount of ERS available at all times

V6T Engines, which have been introduced in 2014, are bound to a Turbo and a Energy Recovery System, for maximum efficiency of fuel and energy usage.

When you brake or coast the ERS will harvest energy. When you get on throttle, whilst ERS is being activated, you deploy energy for more engine power and therefore higher top end speed as well as improved acceleration. But you have a limited maximum amount of energy that you can deploy or harvest per lap.

You can harvest or deploy energy manually, by going through the 6 ERS modes:

ERS0 = No deployment, maximum harvesting.

ERS1 = Low deployment, high harvesting.

ERS2 = Standard deployment, standard harvesting

ERS3 = High deployment, low harvesting.

ERS4 (Overtake Mode) = Maximum deployment, low harvesting.

ERS5 (Only in Qualifying) Maximum deployment, no harvesting.

Or you can let the ERS Mode at Auto, at the expense of losing co teol over how much you can harvest or deploy.

The current ERS model is not realistically simulated in the game, as irl the drivers do not have to switch ERS mode from corner to corner, it is preprogrammed for the track layout and works automatically. If the drivers need more energy to push or overtake, they either have to ask the teams first, or press the overtake button.

My tip: Leave ERS at Auto, as long as you do not plan on driving against AI beyond the 70 difficulty mark, you are good to go.

3) When I started, I chose tyre temperature as just track rather than carcass? Is that better for me too given me previous experience with tyres?

"Surface & Carcass Simulation" requires a much more conservative driving, as you can not push all the time anymore, due to the tires overheating and therefore losing grip and wearing out at faster rates.

But, if you chose "Surface Only", you do not have to drive as conservatively and can enjoy the racing a bit more, due to its forgiving nature.

My tip: Leave the Tyre Temperature at "Surface Only". Once you build confidence, try out "Surface & Carcass Simulation" for a more realistic experience.

4) Any advice on using the sessions? Do I need to be wary of doing so many laps incase engine goes as others have said? 

Just do as many laps as required, to achieve the R&D tests. For example, if the Qualifying test gives you 3 laps to achieve the target lap time, and you nail it on your first lap right away, you do not need to drive for another 2 laps and risk wearing out the engine.

Free Practice sessions are good to get on grips with the tracks, learning how the car handles, finetuning your carsetup, earning R&D points. But, imo you can learn the tracks in Grand Prix Mode as well to save your engine in career mode, just choose practice type (Full Practice) and practice length (Long), and you can run as many laps as you want without any risks.

If you do not need any practice and are already accustomed to the tracks, just use the "Simulate Free Practice" feature. This way, you do not have to do all the R&D tests, the game will simulate them for you, but you will not earn the maximum amount of R&D points. Tbh, simulating free practice is better in the long run, as the practice sessions can become quite repetitive after some time.

My tip: If you are inexperienced and do not know every track as the back of your hand, train in Time Trial and Grand Prix Mode to learn the tracklayout as well as how your car behaves or to finetune your carsetup etc., in order to not risk your engine to wear out too much in career mode. After that just do the minimum amount of laps to successfully nail the R&D tests. But, if you do know the tracks, simply use the "Simulate Free Practice" feature, to save time.

5) Just did a Qualifying pace test and run out of fuel on the in lap at the end?

There are 4 Fuel Mixes:

FuelMix1 = Low Engine Power, Maximum Saving Fuel.

FuelMix2 = Standard Engine Power, Standard Saving Fuel.

FuelMix3 = High Engine Power, Low Saving Fuel.

FuelMix4 (Only in Qualifying) = Maximum Engine Power, Very Low Saving Fuel. 

You have to manually adjust Fuel Mix to save fuel or to have more engine power.

During races, keep it mostly at FuelMix2, and change it to FuelMix3 when trying to push or overtake, whilst using FuelMix1 when trying to save fuel.

In Free Practice, you do not need to go beyond FuelMix2, as higher FuelMixes tend to wear out the engine much faster. (This can be rectified by upgrades in the R&D tree.)

My tip: Always have enough fuel in your car. So 1 extra lap of fuel is enough to drive back safely. Or simply use the "Return To The Pits" feature in the Option Menu, to magically spawn back into the garage after you are done with your lap, to save time.

Have a good day!

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks for that. 

I'm only in P2 of race 1 and in Vehicle Management its saying I've used at least two of everything? Am I doing something wrong? I'm on third Industrialist Combustion Engine?

Others are partly worn etc. Is that normal? Do they change parts themselves and do I need to do anything to save the new ones for races? 

Where are the cost reductions upgrades? 

Edited by MattP84

Sounds like you maybe switched to new parts before p2? As long as they're not worn out you're still OK. (if they were worn out already you must have been doing donuts all afternoon!)

Cost reduction is on upgrade menu in between sessions you can't access it from the pits.

Ahh I'll have a look. Don't remember changing like. 

Is it just me or is the Ai moronic? I'm using assisted so my starts are slow, but every single time they seem to just crowd me out, and break awfully so I ram into the back of them or when I try and take them on a corner I just smash into them.

Unless it's just me being awful LOL