That AI is driving me insane!

Let's take uuuuhm: WEEKLY EVENT!

Then go Qualify! And cross your fingers that the AI isn't coming out of the pit, or in front of you, because they will just KEEP THE RACING LINE WHILE ON AN OUTLAP OR INLAP! And they always are IN CORNERS in the way! 

the race isn't any better because yes they ghost, but when they ghost IN CORNERS, IT'S a LOT HARDER TO FIND THE APEX WITH 1,2,3 maybe 4 cars ghosted in 1 and all moving on the apex which makes my migraine act up spontaniously.

the same with when you leave pits for flying lap, when you get the controls, 99% of the time just in front is a Car! Not far away enough th somehow meet and block you on track since the ai always thinks theyre racing, and you can't back up enough because there always a car just behind you, and they will rear end you most of the time and you know why?

because they're STUPID! The I in Ai stands for INTELLIGENCE! Not IDIOTS! 

this costed me 2 runs on qualy this event, and a miscalculation in the race because i couldn't see the apex properly because lapped cars just keep on happily driving on the racing line IN STEAD OF MAKING ROOM WHEN GETTING LAPPED.

the person who programmed this Ai, well he certainly didn't invent water to exthinquish fires. I can tell you that. Things like these are the reason I'm harsh at CM! Year after Year, that Ai isn't getting better in online. Just put them al in reverse gear. THAT SHOULD BE FUN.

• Disagree 2

Leagues with people that you know can drive are your friend. 

Writing ai is one of the hardest things and in games like this where it has to be so dynamic... I'm not saying codies can't do a better job. But i think we're a long time away from racing games were contact is undesirable to be fun to play with ai. (By which I mean is that I don't think the ai in Mario kart or grid is really better but if hitting each other is encouraged or not really bad then it doesn't matter.. 

I always played against ai and was frustrated like the rest of you but just dealt with it and used flashbacks. 
But since my first race online I don't really wanna play ai anymore. it's exactly the reason why I don't care at all about the events.  It's just random. I don't know if it's still a thing but at one of the first one I got a safety car for crying out loud.. like.. I won because of it but my score was still **** because I had a very poor time obviously >.< 

If there's a better ranking system and the game is more capable of putting equally skilled drivers together these events should just be like iracing like multiplayer things imo. this 'single player but you get points so you compete online' system is not really doing it.. not in the least because indeed, you are very dependant on how **** the ai drives in your game XD if you don't put the ai at max level you win easier but they will lose you a lot of time if you happen to approach at the wrong place on the track. whereas on other times, you get lucky and get the perfect drs overtake every lap without really losing time. it's more luck than wisdom. 

It's a common failing with most racing games. Absolutely zero track awareness built into pit procedures. You're on the final straight, full speed now heading for the first corner. Oh look what's that? Oh its an ai car trundling along the pit lane. Would be pretty easy for them to slow down and wait because it's qualifying and they NEED a gap to you in front to get clean air anyway. It's guaranteed though he will launch onto the track EXACTLY on your racing line /turning point for the first corner. Lap ruined start again. 🙄

Ive said it before and i’ll say it again, the AI in this game (and the whole codies F1 series) is the best AI i have found in a racing game, by some way.

Are they perfect, no of course not, but personally i dont want them to be. The stuff you guys are talking about happens in real races all the time. A bit of unpredictability is good.

Honestly the only thing i would really like codies to change about the AI is to make them a little more prone to accidents/errors now and again. And yes, maybe they could improve the way lapped cars let you past (they do have a tendency to lift off mid corner) but it’s hardly a game breaker!

• Agree 1

I'd agree, the Ai in f1 2019 is the best yet.

With (for me) the exception being backmarkers.

The weird leaping out the way and slowing down that ai drivers do under blue flag conditions is mind bendingly frustrating. 

However, it's a fix I can't imagine is too difficult to resolve, and I'm hoping for a change in f1 2020.

I race 100% distance so backmarkers do become a real pain.

On 5/9/2020 at 5:38 PM, AlexTT said:

because they're STUPID! The I in Ai stands for INTELLIGENCE! Not IDIOTS! 

Maybe the Artificial part stands for "lack of" which would cause it to be lack of intelligence 😉 

• Haha 1

@AlexTT a bug report with video will help illustrate your issue. And a more 'on message' title would be great too.... 👍

Posted (edited)

the AI has been like this for as many games as I remember @BarryBL it is not a new bug/design decision by any means. I recall this as far back as 2013!

The AI get out of the way at the worst times on apexes!!!! And they will take a good half a lap or more to do it in some cases without a penalty.

The penalty system also is the worst I can remember. The Pro esports corner cuts were a joke! Yet I can just go off with two wheels on soem corners and get penalties under the SC. This game riles me at times!

Edited by AdamFreeman

The AI especially in qualifying is terrible. When there are blue flags they never move and they always keep their line. They need to fix that because is very frustraiting.

5 hours ago, BarryBL said:

@AlexTT a bug report with video will help illustrate your issue. And a more 'on message' title would be great too.... 👍

Why make a bug report? It's not a bug, it's just terrible programming.