DiRTy Gossip about DIRT 5

17 hours ago, ianism said:

I teach english as a second language so I do actually know what I'm talking about here

And yet you lack proper capitalization, punctuation,  and sentence structure.

On 9/21/2020 at 4:45 PM, Miatakias_GR said:

Sounsd in onboard is better on dirt 5

Edited by PJTierney
Fixed embed.

1. Water waves are back!

2. Yellow filter must die

3. Trees could be better and not so salad

4. Background mountains have better textures than Barcelona Church in GRID.

5. No Win 7 :classic_laugh:

Posted (edited)

Let me start by saying that I am very excited for this game and that's coming from someone that's a huge Dirt Rally 2.0 fan. I like great arcade racers as much as sims just for different reasons. The last numbered Dirt game I played was Dirt 3.  However, I'm not a fan of the sound vehicles make when they land from a big jump in Dirt 5. It sounds like someone is clashing two metal trashcan lids together or banging on the side of a metal trashcan. I don't think vehicles make this noise when they land unless something is wrong. I think it would only make this sound as a result of the suspension not being sufficient, not being properly adjusted, causing the vehicle to bottom out, impacting the bump stops, and resulting in chassis/body or suspension component damage. Just not excited to hear this sound after every large jump. Please change it to something more realistic, less harsh or remove it all together. Thanks for making such fun games.

Edited by FlatOverCrest

Posted (edited)

{edit: removed video}

Graphicswise it looks good.

The driving itself looks pretty poor. Don't know if it has anything to do with Chris or with all the assists. 
It looks pretty amateur, overshooting corners, hitting barriers on a stupid way on the inside, the assists constantly taking in.
Next to that the cars arean't really make slides or drifts. Its more stop, turn, accelerate and sometimes a drift or a little slide.
Also its contansty on-throttle / off-throttle / on-throttle / off-throttle, like not knowing what turn is coming up next. 

Also please take away "World RX" as it has nothing to do with "World RX".

Edited by JorritVD
  • Agree 2

Posted (edited)

Is it me or do the engine sounds not really sound like they're from actual vehicles? It's seeming like Forza Motorsport 7/Forza Horizon 4 levels of bad engine sounds which is not typical of Codemasters. They usually have the best car audio recordings out of any racing game developer in the industry. Dirt Rally 2.0 sounds are amazing, F1 2020 sounds are amazing and so are GRID's. After listening to the car sounds in several of these videos, I think they sound very artificial and flat. Hopefully these are just placeholder sounds but I am guessing not because it's in official teaser videos. If these are the final sounds, then consider me disappointed. The graphical details look great but the sound doesn't come close to that level of quality at least not in these videos. I don't think it's because it's a YouTube video. Dirt Rally 2.0 has great audio even after YouTube compression. Before someone says that this in not the final game, none of that matters if these are indeed the sounds that end up in the game. Also, I would be surprised if they were still working on car audio recordings less than a month from release. He is a video of a GRC VW Beetle for comparison from Donut Media none the less: 

Update: The Lancer Evolution VI in the Ultra Cross video and what I think is some variant of the Volkswagen Polo GTI R5 or Volkswagen Polo R Supercar in the Rally Raid video, seem to have different audio that sounds considerably worse than what Dirt Rally 2.0 has.

Edited by FlatOverCrest
Edit
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, FlatOverCrest said:

Before someone says that this in not the final game

*says the thing*

Note, some of the later cars in DiRT Rally 2.0 (like the Ford Fiesta R5 MKII) are using the exact same recordings as DIRT 5.

• Like 2

@PJTierney hi i have question codemasters stream dirt 5 soon because i look this info on dirt  instagram 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, PJTierney said:

*says the thing*

Note, some of the later cars in DiRT Rally 2.0 (like the Ford Fiesta R5 MKII) are using the exact same recordings as DIRT 5.

To be fair, this was the entire quote: "Before someone says that this in not the final game, none of that matters if these are indeed the sounds that end up in the game."

I'm not trying to bash the game. I already pre-ordered the Dirt 5 Amplified Edition. I just want the game to be the best it can be and was thrown off by what I consider to be less-than-great car audio sounds from a Codemasters game. I hope I am wrong, and that the Rallycross VW Beetle, Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI and Volkswagen Polo GTI R5 or Volkswagen Polo R Supercar variant sounds are completely different when the game launches than what is heard in these Dirt 5 promotional videos. I am glad that at least some of the cars will be getting proper Dirt Rally 2.0 recordings. Thanks for the reassurance on those. Why wouldn't they want to use all of the best/real audio recordings from the same cars in Dirt Rally 2.0 that are going to be present in Dirt 5? Unless they recorded newer/better audio for the same cars appearing in Dirt 5, that seems like the logical choice. That would be strange if the Dirt 5 team were thinking they don't want their cars to sound like DR 2.0 and that they need to be different. Being different, just for different's sake, is not necessarily better. Especially when the DR 2.0 sounds are recordings of the actual cars. Why wouldn't they want all of the engine sounds to be from the actual cars that were already recorded for another game? Great car audio sounds is something that for me has become synonymous with Codemasters racing games and I hope that trend continues in Dirt 5 and all future titles.

Edited by FlatOverCrest
Updated
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, gk9147 said:

@PJTierney hi i have question codemasters stream dirt 5 soon because i look this info on dirt  instagram 

image.png

Looks like something is cooking 😉 

I'm sure details will come closer to when it's live.

• Like 2

On 9/20/2020 at 2:40 PM, JZStudios said:

And yet you lack proper capitalization, punctuation,  and sentence structure.

lol I just noticed this. as you should've gathered from what I was saying, communication is what matters. if we're talking about like a novel, scientific article or magazine, these things matter. if we're communicating in a forum or instant messaging/texting or commenting on an article, we tend to write in a similar fashion to the way we speak, which enables ("illegally") shorter sentences and often does away with capitalization and punctuation. this is also why emojis and gifs are a thing. I also just don't give a ****. if you don't like it that's your problem, not mine.

• Haha 1

The sound library for D5 is the same for all C titles.  The differences are in how the mix is implemented in the games (notice the sounds are recorded from mic's positioned all over the car) and in how the game is using them (think gearing etc.)

Notice in most D5 footage there seem to be two main things i've noticed in thinking the same thing about the sounds (not the quality, but the way they sound)

The first thing is that a lot of cars have very tall gears, most of the footage i've seen they spend nearly the whole video in 1 or 2 gears, so there is a lot of "auto clutch slipping" type of sound.

Secondly, notice how when the revs get to the top of the rev range, the engine *acceleration speed* slows down - i've seen this type of behaviour in other games, particularly in games where driving isn't necessarily the primary part of the game.  It's also a side-effect of over revving a pushrod motor (valve float essentially)

Anyway, i think there are 3 things in play with how sometimes the sounds don't seem to sound quite right.

1) Gearing

2) Weird engine speed acceleration slow-down near redline

3) Sound mixing likely not being final

While I do think it's cool to know the process that a sound engineer uses, the thing I care most about is the end result. If the cars sound great then that is what I want. I understand that resulting sounds can be subjective based on the mix between all of the mics but the idea is to have the end result sound as close to the actual car as possible. If it doesn't sound like the car but instead sounds flat and synthetic then something wasn't done well in my opinion. I just hope it turns out fantastic for Dirt 5, Dirt Rally 3.0, WRC 12 or whatever they decide to call them. These are two of my absolute favorite racing franchises and I want them to stay top of the list. I am just going to be patient from here on out and see what we get from Dirt 5 on November 6th. I am really excited and can hardly wait.

Doesn't matter if the game design doesn't properly utilise the sounds given to them.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

Graphics are just ok , nothing special for 2020!

I agree that car's engines sound somehow inferior for standards of latest CM games ..

My biggest αnxiety is about handling , looks too arcade , even Dirt 2 / 3 were arcade too they did have some proper physics (especially Dirt 2) in some videos like that on ice in New York physics look like NFS series.. I hope i am wrong cause i am interested ιn game..

Bring back a good online MP mode with text chat like Grid 1 , Dirt 2-3!

Edited by Miatakias_GR

8 hours ago, ianism said:

lol I just noticed this. as you should've gathered from what I was saying, communication is what matters. if we're talking about like a novel, scientific article or magazine, these things matter. if we're communicating in a forum or instant messaging/texting or commenting on an article, we tend to write in a similar fashion to the way we speak, which enables ("illegally") shorter sentences and often does away with capitalization and punctuation. this is also why emojis and gifs are a thing. I also just don't give a ****. if you don't like it that's your problem, not mine.

It was just a fun contradiction is all. Personally I try to keep up with proper structure and punctuation. Otherwise things tend to turn into run-on sentences and you have to do a double take to decipher what the hell someone is trying to say. It is made harder by the fact that by default both iOS and Android don't have common punctuation keys immediately available, even in landscape mode.

I think people also on average suck at speaking to begin with, so adding in the commonality of online/texting those weak skills are basically obliterated and no one can manage to follow a simple conversation anymore. It's actually infuriating trying to have a conversation and the other person just can't seem to understand the only language they speak.

What really aggravates me is my brother will not say "Yes" in a text, instead opting for "Ye" because pre-existing definitions need to **** off in favor of not having to press a single extra key.

Btw, in the DiRT5 Rallycross gameplay video at the Italy location, the MINI Cooper SX1 is also showen in the footage. 
Although it was to be expected this car would be in the game (XITE), so far it was not showen or confirmed. 

The following Supercars have been confirmed or seen in footage:

• Audi S1 EKS RX quattro
  • MINI Cooper SX1 (showen in gameplay foortage)
  • Peugeot 208 WRX
  • Renault Megane RS RX
  • Subaru WRX STI RX
  • Volkswagen Beetle RX (new Supercar in the series)

Interestingly is that there is no Ford RX so far. 
If we look at the previous games, and knowing no World RX license will "limit" things, the following Supercars from the previous games could return:

• Citroën DS3
  • Ford Fiesta Rallycross (Mk7) (OMSE)
  • Ford Fiesta Rallycross (Mk8) (2018 OMSE spec)
  • Ford Fiesta Rallycross (Mk8) (2019 OMSE spec)
  • Ford Fiesta RXS Evo 5 (Mk8) (2019 STARD spec)
  • Ford Focus RS RX
  • MINI Countryman RX
  • Renault Clio R.S. RX
  • Seat Ibiza RX
  • Subaru Impreza WRX STI
  • Volkswagen Polo (Marklund)
  • Volkswagen Polo R (WRC)

As DiRT 5 isn't holding any series RX license, I not expect a much bigger Supercars list than the 6 above (probably with the addition of a Ford), also knowing Rallycross is a smaller portion of the game than it is in DR2. It would be a shame though that the effort that put in of some of the new or updated cars made for DR2 not will make another appearance. If I would do any advice I probably would try minimally add a MK8 Fiesta and the Focus RS (because Ken Block background and therefore good for YouTube purposes). ofcourse I would add all, but that unfortunately probably won't happen. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, JorritVD said:

Focus RS (because Ken Block background and therefore good for YouTube purposes)

Bear in mind that Ken Block is a Forza Horizon ambassador now, so anything livery-wise that's "obviously Ken Block" would be a no-no.

4 hours ago, PJTierney said:

Bear in mind that Ken Block is a Forza Horizon ambassador now, so anything livery-wise that's "obviously Ken Block" would be a no-no.

Yup, I know that... 😄 Is this btw a little hint of what might come? 🕵️‍♂️

But the Focus RX RX was in DiRT 4 and also in Project CARS 2 with only the livery of Bakkerud. 
But a lot of people did mention his name while using Bakkerud's livery 😜

So I think the Focus RS would be a cool worldwide fan favorite addition, especially with those DiRT5 liveries that basically have kinda Hoonigan/Block style anyway :classic_biggrin:

Btw, possible other alternatives real drivers (Arpin and Wicik)

image.png.6930b64f061b3414ba6a5ac735e7914c.png image.thumb.png.30501adb36e85aba5310f7c79e30c174.png

• Like 1

NEW GAMEPLAY VIDEOS!

KALABAKA METEORA GREECEEE!😮 ENOUGH THIS FOR ME TO CHANGE MY MIND A BUY THE GAME! A LITTLE BIT GREEKY HERE 😜

• Like 1