DiRTy Gossip about DIRT 5

9 hours ago, Miatakias_GR said:

I'm still taking the credit for suggesting it, but that area seems pretty tiny and the "memory budget" straight out of Halo 3 forge makes me a bit... cautious. Hopefully on PC it'll be a bigger memory limit. Then again, I also don't know why the area is so tiny if there's a memory limit and vast swaths of flat ground. I was hoping we'd be able to do this stuff around Battersea or Dirtfish.

15 hours ago, ianism said:

as ^^ said.

plus the offroad physics are pretty terrible

The physics look superior to Dirt 5 which is even more arcade. Cars look like they float on the surface and have no weight. May as well be a Wipeout game

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Playgrounds look interesting. Basically something I requested for the “rally” title based on the MESX/MXGP titles with their track editors.

Would be cool this technique also comes to DR3, so you can (re)create your own RX track on different locations (harbor, Monte Carlo, LA, airstrip) next to the real WRX tracks in game. Only thing what should be possible is you can also lay different types of surfaces like gravel, sand or mud.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, PJTierney said:

Arena's bigger than you think @JZStudios, looking at @2Technical's video:

The verticality is nice, but again I was hoping more for Battersea or Dirtfish. What's shown is a bit wider, but... I dunno. Still a pretty featureless area, more like Sandbox from Halo 3.

I also really dislike the garish purple and yellow. If they really want to go for a "toybox" look they should lean into more and make giant objects like Danny Megaskill's Imaginate. This just kind of sucks to look at.

As an aside, maybe it's because i've been into """"""simulators"""""" but I'm getting really sick of these comments saying "It's not a serious """"simulator"""" and is therefore potentially fun, and therefore complete garbage." Can't look at any racing game without some complaining about how it isn't a freaking sim.

• Agree 1

I like the mode quite a bit. gives me very heavy trackmania vibes, which is cool. I won't create stuff with it, but I know people with come up with some crazy things.

Also, I don't think it will happen, but I think it'd be cool if they went full trackmania-clone for the multiplayer and allowed many people to attempt the same course simultaneously (but ghosted of course).

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, ianism said:

I like the mode quite a bit. gives me very heavy trackmania vibes, which is cool. I won't create stuff with it, but I know people with come up with some crazy things.

Also, I don't think it will happen, but I think it'd be cool if they went full trackmania-clone for the multiplayer and allowed many people to attempt the same course simultaneously (but ghosted of course).

It's definitely a good idea, just seems the limitations are a bit artificial. Obviously not every piece was shown, but what was shown was only garish yellow and purple.

Oh wow, very cool that it has a track creator. I would love that for DiRT Rally series as well.

(Though if had to choose I rather see the return of YourStage as an addition to handcrafted stages).

• Agree 1

Seriously though, that purple and yellow combo rears its ugly head in DR2.0 - in sunset lighting on pretty much all stages. The weirdo purple, and thick, garish layer of yellow that cakes the road during sunset, looking like you're on a planet from No Man's Sky.

And there's the purple and yellow motif in Dirt 5.

Codies, if this is some kind of weird attempt at imprinting a brand via colours - the type of thing marketing departments like to go nuts over to justify their existence, please leave it out of DR3.0, and the WRC games. Stick it to the Dirt series by all means. Really, go nuts for bizarre brain damaging colours in that series, really get it out of your system.

• Haha 1

On 8/29/2020 at 11:41 AM, JZStudios said:

It's definitely a good idea, just seems the limitations are a bit artificial. Obviously not every piece was shown, but what was shown was only garish yellow and purple.

can't really speak on the limitations. the bigger location for playground allows tracks that take at least 3 minutes to complete, which seems reasonable, given how much else the game is doing. like sure, you can create much bigger things in trackmania, but that's the whole game, right?

the colour scheme reminds me a bit of the recent glut of post-apocalyptic shooters like rage and far cry new dawn. I don't play those types of games at all, and the colours don't really bother me. but I'm not playing the game yet so I guess we'll see.

5 hours ago, ianism said:

can't really speak on the limitations. the bigger location for playground allows tracks that take at least 3 minutes to complete, which seems reasonable, given how much else the game is doing. like sure, you can create much bigger things in trackmania, but that's the whole game, right?

the colour scheme reminds me a bit of the recent glut of post-apocalyptic shooters like rage and far cry new dawn. I don't play those types of games at all, and the colours don't really bother me. but I'm not playing the game yet so I guess we'll see.

Yeah, they just seemed a bit tight and technical. I like flowing tracks. Alternatively it could be a good replacement for D3's Battersea and D4's Dirtfish to just mess around in doing donuts around light poles and through garage doors. Just seems small is all.

Plenty of verticality though, so if you can't build out at least you can build up.

• Agree 1

On 9/4/2020 at 7:00 AM, JZStudios said:

Yeah, they just seemed a bit tight and technical. I like flowing tracks. Alternatively it could be a good replacement for D3's Battersea and D4's Dirtfish to just mess around in doing donuts around light poles and through garage doors. Just seems small is all.

As far as I can remember, the arenas we've seen are considered small in the game's UI as well

7 hours ago, PJTierney said:

I'm not sure where they're getting "positive feedback." Any time I see the game mentioned someones ******** about how it isn't Dirt Rally and is actually another main line Dirt game. I'd like to go where people aren't trying to make every racing game the same boring thing.

@PJTierney Is this slight delay to Dirt 5 going to delay the introduction of the new Fiesta R5 MkII into Dirt Rally 2.0 at all?

2 hours ago, neil3646 said:

@PJTierney Is this slight delay to Dirt 5 going to delay the introduction of the new Fiesta R5 MkII into Dirt Rally 2.0 at all?

Different teams.

16 hours ago, JZStudios said:

I'm not sure where they're getting "positive feedback." Any time I see the game mentioned someones ******** about how it isn't Dirt Rally and is actually another main line Dirt game. I'd like to go where people aren't trying to make every racing game the same boring thing.

While a portion of the audience is unhappy it's not another Rally game, the communication when DIRT 5 was announced seems to have eased those concerns, as the existence of DIRT 5 doesn't mean the death of Rally. DIRT 5 is fun and different, but the Rally team will return and what they're working on will be worth the wait 😉 

14 hours ago, neil3646 said:

The Rally team and the "5 team" are two separate Codemasters studios.

This won't affect the Ford Fiesta R5 MKII's addition to DiRT Rally 2.0 at all (work on the car is pretty much complete, we're just doing the final things before it gets locked into the next update).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/14/2020 at 3:10 PM, Leo Natan said:

Lol

Don't want to get the same response to Dirt 5 as Grid. I understand why, but it doesn't instill confidence.

Exactly as you write. More amusing that @ChrisGrovesMCM has evacuated from the Grid section and his deputy is also fell silent . There are questions about the split screen option promised by the creators of the game as after lauch DLC and now Chris opens a new stall and he will sell us a split screen in the Dirt 5?

@PJTierney Codies stopped supporting the GRiD game when they added seasons, just then when this title gain interesting content. Now, instead of supporting the GRiD project and developing it by seasons and other DLC, are they are closing the booth and opening a new one? Such a policy goes nowhere, especially if you sell promises and empty vessels. On all gaming platforms, opinions are clearly critical about the policy of releasing cut-to-pieces DLC games with a poor basic version. People will remember the cuted winter from Dirt 2.0 and will remember the promises regarding to GRiD. Start thinking about your customers and listening to the community suggestions.

This time I will not let myself be caught up in the promises and wait for Dirt 5 reviews and a sell drop. For now, the funds will go to WRC9 because it is a full content title without online only career ideas.

This new game looks like a fancy rally clone of the GRiD framework

Of course, the content will have a different atmosphere and there will be a lot of additional activities and a split-screen for four people. Nice, but you promised us it in the previous game, which you abandon after less than a year and you want us to consider buying another?

You don't support the community, you don't write back, there isnt any confirmation even in the tech section of the GRiD. You only count on a quick sale effect so you are abandoning a very good gameplay model in the GRiD instead of developing it. Did you really expected to launch a cut-out game with a few tracks and it will be the sale success remake of the iconic game?? you lose your brand and trust with such moves 😕

Edited by minetti
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, PJTierney said:

While a portion of the audience is unhappy it's not another Rally game, the communication when DIRT 5 was announced seems to have eased those concerns, as the existence of DIRT 5 doesn't mean the death of Rally. DIRT 5 is fun and different, but the Rally team will return and what they're working on will be worth the wait 😉 

Yeah, but still. Any time a game is announced that isn't a "hardcore sim" people complain. People are still complaining that D5 isn't a sim.

4 hours ago, minetti said:

snip

Yeah, I joined when Dirt Rally was first announced and there was a ton of dev communication. I guess that was because it launched in early access and it apparently failed so hard CM decided there really shouldn't be any communication at all for any future titles. Even when I got early access to DR2 for community testing we weren't told much. It's really weird. I joined because of the communication, but that's gone entirely and a bunch of the old forum members have since left since there's little to nothing to talk about.

10 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

Yeah, but still. Any time a game is announced that isn't a "hardcore sim" people complain.

Yup.

Some parts of that community can't define the word simulator, but they can certainly point out when something isn't one in their view 😄 

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad"

Dirt 5: delayed from October 3rd to 16th, and then delayed to November 6th.

Halo Infinite: Delayed from this year (at the time of this post) to 2021