F1 2021 | Arrives July 16 | First Look Here Read more... ×

Bring Back Driver School

I love that F2 is now part of the game, and the lead-up bit that starts Career Mode is pretty cool.  But then they stick you in an F1 car and expect you to know how to operate it?

Oh, no, sorry, my bad.  Jeff is going to teach you all about the car... and the pit exit... and the DRS... and pit entry speed... and everything else you may (or may not) wish to know... just as you hit that braking point for the tricky chicane.

Seriously, F1 2012 had it right.  Start the game by doing Driver School.  Each component had levels (1 to 3 stars) if I remember right.  The better you did, the more teams offered you a seat.  If you sucked, you got the token offers from the low-end teams.  If you did great, you got offers from better teams.  It gave you a chance to learn about the car, DRS, turning, braking, the radio, pits (in and out) and all the good stuff you need to know, then get on with the racing.  The only thing it didn't teach you was race starts.  That would be a great addition.

About the most you ever heard Jarvis say during a race was, "You've picked up some marbles; stick to the racing line and wear them off."  And even that stopped after about the third race.

In other words, you weren't treated like a noobie every time you sat in the car.

Please, Codemasters, bring back the Driver School.  It was a great introduction to the game, taught players how to operate the car, and was fun to beat.

The current system of "Press Pause to learn more" is a bit silly.  If I'm ripping down a straight, I'm not terribly interested in a video tutorial from good ol' Ant on the ins and outs of DRS.

Also, being able to choose any team at the beginning of your career is very unrealistic.  It is possible to be brought into a top team from F2, but you shouldn't really get to choose from every team.  You might think it makes the game more appealing to the new person, but I preferred having to earn my seat.  In fF1 2012, you got offers during the year for the following season.  You could choose to accept or not.  If you did really well, you got better teams looking at you.  If you continued to suck, you stayed on the lower teams.

It was a good system.  Please bring that back.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

I agree with this, and even after (or mixed in with) the F2 intro races, there could be a return of F1 practice sessions with those tests you mention. But I know a lot of people moaned about them back then, 2012 was it? Like you, I thought they were a good addition, and I only want to be offered a few seats, not necessarily the same ones each time I start a career, but a small 'believable' selection depending on my F2 results and my performance in F1 testing.

I saw many negative comments about these tests being a 'nuisance', and I sympathise with Codemasters who are trying to appeal to the masses - all ages, all abilities, and all levels of sim knowledge, but for me it would be a very welcome return if it could be selected as a start option in a career.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Morsify said:

I saw many negative comments about these tests being a 'nuisance', and I sympathise with Codemasters who are trying to appeal to the masses - all ages, all abilities, and all levels of sim knowledge, but for me it would be a very welcome return if it could be selected as a start option in a career.

This is one of the problems of designing just about anything these days.  It's impossible to please everyone, but companies still try.

In this case, however, it's mandatory for any real driver to go through Driver School AND GRADUATE before being given a seat in an F1 car.

Complaining about that would be like complaining about having to do the first level of an RPG.  Sorry, it's part of the game.  Wanna just drive?  Go do a Quick Race.  Wanna be an F1 driver in a full Career Mode?  Do Driver Training.

That option was available in the previous generation, honestly it would be very cool to do this before starting with the F2.

• Agree 1

Ugh man f1 2012 tutorial was so good and actually helpful when I first started and seeing in lock down many people want to start playing the game and with many audiences coming from drive to survive it's important that there is a tutorial

• Like 1