F1 2021 | Arrives July 16 | First Look Here Read more... ×

How to get used to playing without racing line?

So, this is my last assist to remove. But I’m kinda struggling with it. I’ve heard to learn the track line fully first but I don’t really have time for that. I normally do one practice session, full qualifying and a 50% race. Anyone know anyway I can remove racing line and stay on the correct line with the time I have?

Thanks!

Edited by AaranK
Wrote “lad” instead of “last.” 🤦‍♂️

I went online in all previous games (since f1 2010). In 2019 I managed to remove it, I recommend you see hotlaps of pro players. They helped me a lot. Today I am faster without it.

• Agree 2

It's harder as you've set yourself the restriction of one practice session, because the honest answer is, the more laps you do, the better you will learn the fast line.

As you become more experienced, it takes less laps to learn a new track, but when you're still getting to grips with it, the best advice I can give is drive round at slightly slower speed, feel comfortable with the lap, and then gradually go quicker. If you're willing/able to sacrifice a set of hard or medium tyres for this, then you will gradually find that you can take this bend in 3rd, and that bend in 4th etc. It feels difficult at first, but it's really rewarding to throw away the lifeline of the racing line and really learn it for yourself.

The best part is that, as you learn it for real without that assist line, the knowledge will stay with you for the next time you drive that track, plus the next track gets a bit easier to learn, and so on. 

• Agree 2

Study the track in 3rd person, before going to your favorite view. It's about smart practice. If you struggle on a specific corner, you watch a replay & see the possibility you may have did wrong in many different camera angle. There's are player who promote role playing, but videogames offer dream feature you can't do in real life. That's the point of using a simulator.

• Agree 1

On 5/11/2020 at 5:25 PM, KayPax said:

I went online in all previous games (since f1 2010). In 2019 I managed to remove it, I recommend you see hotlaps of pro players. They helped me a lot. Today I am faster without it.

Thank you!

• Like 1

On 5/11/2020 at 5:47 PM, Morsify said:

It's harder as you've set yourself the restriction of one practice session, because the honest answer is, the more laps you do, the better you will learn the fast line.

As you become more experienced, it takes less laps to learn a new track, but when you're still getting to grips with it, the best advice I can give is drive round at slightly slower speed, feel comfortable with the lap, and then gradually go quicker. If you're willing/able to sacrifice a set of hard or medium tyres for this, then you will gradually find that you can take this bend in 3rd, and that bend in 4th etc. It feels difficult at first, but it's really rewarding to throw away the lifeline of the racing line and really learn it for yourself.

The best part is that, as you learn it for real without that assist line, the knowledge will stay with you for the next time you drive that track, plus the next track gets a bit easier to learn, and so on. 

Thank you!

• Like 1

On 5/11/2020 at 11:02 PM, MrDeap said:

Study the track in 3rd person, before going to your favorite view. It's about smart practice. If you struggle on a specific corner, you watch a replay & see the possibility you may have did wrong in many different camera angle. There's are player who promote role playing, but videogames offer dream feature you can't do in real life. That's the point of using a simulator.

Thank you! Although I didn’t understand it when you said “There’s a player who...” etc. But thanks anyway for the tips!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AaranK said:

Thank you! Although I didn’t understand it when you said “There’s a player who...” etc. But thanks anyway for the tips!

I mean special cases who claim you should only play inside the car & use a realistic field of view. 

A role-playing game is a game in which the participants assume the roles of characters and collaboratively create stories. Participants determine the actions of their characters based on their characterisation, and the actions succeed or fail according to a formal system of rules and guidelines. Within the rules, they may improvise freely; their choices shape the direction and outcome of the games.

They assume because in real life you can't see outside the car, it's not okay to learn the track outside the car view. According to the special cases, you can't stroll "walk in a leisurely way" around & learn the track.

I'm sharing to you that you can do whatever you want & the game allow you to do stuff that you can't do in the real world & use it as a feature to optimize your own performance

Simulation is used in many contexts, such as simulation of technology for performance tuning or optimizing, safety engineering, testing, training, education, and video games.

One tip that helped me personally was to set "braking markers". These markers are usually something like a tree, the distance boards (the ones that show 200, 150, 100, etc.), or the start of a kerb. When practicing, you should take a mental note of how far away you are from the object when you start braking. This will be your reference and you will aim to brake at more or less the same spot every lap (it changes depending on the tyres and how fast you entered the corner). 

Like someone said earlier, watch hotlap videos on YouTube. They will usually tell you where to brake and you can copy the their driving lines through the corners.

@Route765 is just right... braking markers starting with basic rules as 100m from 8th to 2nd gear and another advise is to do a lot of 5 laps races... and step by step , you will learn differently all the tracks and when you will got used to it, you will be much faster than before... 😉

• Agree 1

Echo everyone else here, braking markers are a lifesaver. 

Other than that, maybe following some other cars around to start with, pick up a general rhythm. 

Last one for me too. I’m taking it off for 2020 but what I tend to do is watch someone else who doesn’t use it who’s faster than you either slightly or the fastest in the world. Also, use the meter boards on the side of the track. You could also look for the racing line ingrained one every track although f1 games racing line is difficult to spot sometimes compared to Project Cars 2 and GTSport and IRacing