ERS Deployment - F1 2020

Posted (edited)

In real life drivers can actually change charging and deployment with a dial on the wheel called 'SOC' state of charge with the ers going full auto now we are losing control.

It's also a big hit to all the Fanatec wheel users etc that paid for the new wheels with dials to control ers, they are useless now. We still need the ability to change ers modes in race as that's what real drivers do, Lewis Hamilton already explained it on a recent tv feature

Edited by TomAAA
  • Like 1
  • Disagree 2

1 minute ago, TomAAA said:

@BarryBL With the new gameplay videos shown by YouTube show that the ers has an overtake button, can you ask the team to make this button be a toggle on/off so we don't need to hold it down the whole time as we overtake cars, so we can have both hands on wheel for full control of steering instead of holding the button continuously in. 

From the gameplay it already appears to be an on/off button toggle rather than a hold; press once to enable overtake, press again to disable. 

• Like 1

It is an on/off toggle like @Worntoathread stated. A 'hold' function wouldn't be the best thing to add as drivers will have enough to think about. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 7
  • Disagree 2

Still would like more control over the ers though. Not the micro management we had in last years game but still some control in the race more than just an overtake button

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, BarryBL said:

Es un interruptor de encendido / apagado como se dijo en @Worntoathread . Una función de "retención" no sería lo mejor para agregar, ya que los controladores tendrán suficiente en qué pensar. 

Good info 😎

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, BarryBL said:

It is an on/off toggle like @Worntoathread stated. A 'hold' function wouldn't be the best thing to add as drivers will have enough to think about. 

@BarryBL i know you're busy and i'm sorry 😛 but one quick question. 
So when you say it is automated what is meant exactly?  Can we still switch between the 3 modes and those modes are '3 different automated modes'? (With 1 being charge, 1 being clear air, and 1 being setting up for overtake or something?) or is the ai just automating everything and we have the kers overtake button? (Which should really be a hold button indeed... like whut)

Edited by Bicarda
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Bicarda said:

So when you say it is automated what is meant exactly?  Can we still switch between the 3 modes and those modes are '3 different automated modes'? (With 1 being charge, 1 being clear air, and 1 being setting up for overtake or something?) or is the ai just automating everything and we have the kers overtake button? (Which should really be a hold button indeed... like whut)

I believe it's AI and there will be an overtake toggle on the MFD bottom right to switch between the two otherwise it would be challenging to switch.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Bicarda said:

So when you say it is automated what is meant exactly?  Can we still switch between the 3 modes and those modes are '3 different automated modes'? (With 1 being charge, 1 being clear air, and 1 being setting up for overtake) or is the ai just automating everything and we have the kers overtake button? (Which should really be a hold button indeed... like whut)

This would be the most sensible thing to do and to expect.

The ability to switch between the SOC 1 - SOC 3, and the overtake button on top, would make a much more realistic experience.

Either way, i hope Codemaster went to take a even more realistic approach by giving us the ability to individually map and program the ERS in the car setup menu ourselves, by choosing parts of the track and applying ERS mode + SOC mode to our liking, so that it will do exactly what we programmed / mapped automatically and we only have to change SOC mode, i.e. programming the 3 ERS Modes before even hitting the track on Spain:

Straight to Turn 1 = Highest ERS mode for maximum power, 150m board ERS turns off and the SOC will be used to harvest energy. Driver behind us can clearly see that by the red blinking light flashing shortly.

Turn 1 - Turn 2 = ERS mode off, SOC mode on to harvest more energy.

Turn 3 = ERS mode on at medium, SOC mode turned off.

Straight to Turn 4 = ERS mode on maximum, 30 - 50 meters before the braking point ERS turn off and SOC mode is being activated again for harvesting.

Etc. Etc. Etc.

image.png

Edited by TheEmpireWasRight
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 3

In F1 2020 it will be possible to build our own ERS mapping?

We are not using and deploying ERS same style. Adding this function will be a great step forwards.

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, TruckGame said:

I believe it's AI and there will be an overtake toggle on the MFD bottom right to switch between the two otherwise it would be challenging to switch.

That would be extremely disappointing if that is indeed the case. If they dumbed down the ers instead of making it a better and deeper (and easier) experience. 
That takes a lot of control (and skill, and like overall race planning) out of the hands of the driver and it will just be the same for anyone. 

While the real f1 drivers don't change it like we did, they DO have different modes and settings they can put it on during the race. just that these modes have been mapped beforehand. BY THEM and the engineers. and it is NOT the same for everyone. So to have 0 control during the race is already bad enough (if that is true.. i really hope you are the one that misunderstood here..) but if we can't map it then beforehand ourselves it's just a dead system that's just in the game to be in the game. 

We either need to be able to map it (multiple times and still have modes during the race because there is a LOT of different scenario's) Or just have full control over it. 

And i don't know what 'drivers have enough to think about' means.. but holding a button is less taxing on the mind than going into the mfd to go into overtake mode!
button for when you need to focus on driving and just need full power to overtake.. control via mfd for other times. and we NEED the control. dumbing it down is not an option. there already was auto in the f1 2019 for the people who didn't want to bother. can't just force that on all of us now. 

I don't understand this change.

With current hybrid F1 cars the ERS deployment is automated, drivers do not have press any buttons like with pre-2014 KERS system. They can however change the way the car deploys ERS for different situations, like if they defending or attacking or just hotlapping in qualifying. They can also increase or decrease the rate of regeneration from the rear axle when braking. This is pretty much how ERS management works in F1 2019 (without regeneration setting and everything else also simplified). In addition to all this drivers also have this "overtake button" which turns everything up to 11 for a short period of time if they need it.

Adding overtake button in F1 2020 is good change but I don't understand why they removed the possibility to change ERS mapping on the fly. I suspect it might be in order to nerf players performance against AI or something like this. Pro players at least seem to fiddle with fuel mixture multiple times per lap (which is a whole another discussion).

Now if you can create your own ERS mappings then, that sounds interesting but still whats the point if can't cycle through them during a race?

• Agree 4

Yeah we still need to be able to change ers modes in the race or strategy becomes a bit boring. Lewis said last year he was changing his charging mode on certain laps 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Jyrpsi said:

I don't understand this change.

With current hybrid F1 cars the ERS deployment is automated, drivers do not have press any buttons like with pre-2014 KERS system. They can however change the way the car deploys ERS for different situations, like if they defending or attacking or just hotlapping in qualifying. They can also increase or decrease the rate of regeneration from the rear axle when braking. This is pretty much how ERS management works in F1 2019 (without regeneration setting and everything else also simplified). In addition to all this drivers also have this "overtake button" which turns everything up to 11 for a short period of time if they need it.

Adding overtake button in F1 2020 is good change but I don't understand why they removed the possibility to change ERS mapping on the fly. I suspect it might be in order to nerf players performance against AI or something like this. Pro players at least seem to fiddle with fuel mixture multiple times per lap (which is a whole another discussion).

Now if you can create your own ERS mappings then, that sounds interesting but still whats the point if can't cycle through them during a race?

I agree 100% F1 drivers even talk about doing just that. 

I think the change has come from controller players having a hard time trying to change it and people complain of getting beat in online race by superior ers management. Just head over to reddit that seems to be the happy reaction by many controller players with this news

They should have toned down the micro management but still let us control it fully. The new ers direction seems a backwards move. On another note get ready in online races for idiots to press the overtake button and torpedo everyone

Edited by TomAAA
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, TomAAA said:

I agree 100% F1 drivers even talk about doing just that. 

I think the change has come from controller players having a hard time trying to change it and people complain of getting beat in online race by superior ers management. They should have toned down the micro management but still let us control it fully. The new ers direction seems a backwards move. On another note get ready in online races for idiots to press the overtake button and torpedo everyone

It's even easier on a controller than on a wheel.. d'pad is right there.  one of the best parts about this game and mainly the racing online was the ers battles... charging behind someone a few laps in 0 ers in drs.  And then overtake and try to break the 1 second before your ers ran out... Overtaking eachother on the straight every lap, charging/burning ers in turn, to get away from the cars behind. That was one of the most beautiful aspects that they brought to this game in recent years and if they now did away with that just because they can't be bothered to make it more realistic then that is litteraly the worst thing they've done in recent memory. Honestly. we need control over it. make clear when we don't need it AT ALL.. not just BURN IT ALL or AI. 

Edited by Bicarda
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, Bicarda said:

It's even easier on a controller than on a wheel.. d'pad is right there.  one of the best parts about this game and mainly the racing online was the ers battles... charging behind someone a few laps in 0 ers in drs.  And then overtake and try to break the 1 second before your ers ran out... Overtaking eachother on the straight every lap, charging/burning ers in turn, to get away from the cars behind. That was one of the most beautiful aspects that they brought to this game in recent years and if they now did away with that just because they can't be bothered to make it more realistic then that is litteraly the worst thing they've done in recent memory. Honestly. we need control over it. make clear when we don't need it AT ALL.. not just BURN IT ALL or AI. 

Agreed. In my league we even had some of the slower drivers over the course of the race catch up because they were clever with ers management It was a great addition. Now we have went backward to the same kers type overtake system we had in F1 2012 I think it was?

Just seems wrong, they needed to keep ers management just not at the micro management level it was 

Edited by TomAAA

30 minutes ago, TomAAA said:

Agreed. In my league we even had some of the slower drivers over the course of the race catch up because they were clever with ers management It was a great addition. Now we have went backward to the same kers type overtake system we had in F1 2012 I think it was?

Just seems wrong, they needed to keep ers management just not at the micro management level it was 

Jup. Let's just hope @BarryBL can set our minds at ease and inform us that they did NOT dumb down ers and it's 3 different automated modes, or they took like half the game away. 

I mean the micromanagement we had to do during the race was already a compromise for all the micromanagement they don't let us do BEFORE the race. Just taking the control out of our hands completely would be so sad... and such a step down.

3 hours ago, Bicarda said:

Removing the ability to change SOC modes during the race is a mistake, and a step away from the real thing.  This is one of the reasons I'm planning to upgrade my wheel.  Now I may not bother - except I'll need another button for the "overtake" toggle.

Seriously, TOGGLE?!

Please tell me it's not buried in the MFD.  I can see it now.  Reach blindly for D-pad on separate gear shift unit.  Fumble until MFD appears, select Overtake Toggle, turn on, d-pad gets bumped and moves to another part of the MFD, leaving you with Overtake ON, frantically try to get back to Overtake, miss braking zone because you're now doing Mach 6...

Please, please, please, make it possible to turn off "Toggle" and make it "Push to Go."

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, DrDraken said:

Removing the ability to change SOC modes during the race is a mistake, and a step away from the real thing.  This is one of the reasons I'm planning to upgrade my wheel.  Now I may not bother - except I'll need another button for the "overtake" toggle.

Seriously, TOGGLE?!

Please tell me it's not buried in the MFD.  I can see it now.  Reach blindly for D-pad on separate gear shift unit.  Fumble until MFD appears, select Overtake Toggle, turn on, d-pad gets bumped and moves to another part of the MFD, leaving you with Overtake ON, frantically try to get back to Overtake, miss braking zone because you're now doing Mach 6...

Please, please, please, make it possible to turn off "Toggle" and make it "Push to Go."

It'll be an assignable button you press to activate/deactivate just like DRS, you can tell from the gameplay videos.

Edited by Worntoathread

1 minute ago, Worntoathread said:

It'll be an assignable button you press to activate/deactivate just like DRS, you can tell from the gameplay videos.

I'm just hoping they give the option to make it Press-to-hold in addition to toggle. 🙂

1 minute ago, DrDraken said:

I'm just hoping they give the option to make it Press-to-hold in addition to toggle. 🙂

I personally don't see the benefit in that as you'd have to hold a button for the entire straight while also having to enable DRS. But I guess the option wouldn't be bad for those who prefer it

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Worntoathread said:

I personally don't see the benefit in that as you'd have to hold a button for the entire straight while also having to enable DRS. But I guess the option wouldn't be bad for those who prefer it

the benefit is that you don't need to hold it for the entire straight lol. and can use it a lot more dynamically if it's a hold button. 

ESPECIALLY since it looks like it will be the only amount of control we are getting... (which is so so so sad in and of itself)

Just now, Bicarda said:

ESPECIALLY since it looks like it will be the only amount of control we are getting... (which is so so so sad in and of itself)

Indeed.  Maybe a future patch?  Hey, I can hope. 😕

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Bicarda said:

the benefit is that you don't need to hold it for the entire straight lol. and can use it a lot more dynamically if it's a hold button. 

I'll just keep my thumb on there and tap it again halfway through the straight if I want to apply it in bursts. Holding it for a bit could be slightly more comfortable in those situations but one extra tap vs letting the button go doesn't seem like that much of a difference in effort or efficiency

Edited by Worntoathread

2 minutes ago, Worntoathread said:

I'll just keep my thumb on there and tap it again halfway through the straight if I want to apply it in bursts. Holding it for a bit could be slightly more comfortable in those situations but one extra tap vs letting the button go doesn't seem like that much of a difference in effort or efficiency

OH i know pressing a button twice wouldn't be the worst thing in the world (although the wrong choice if you have to choose between the too) 

But i'm just sad that they essentially removed ers management from the game. And they are gonna have to come back from it because it takes away half of what made racing in f1 2019 bearable and different from other games. So f1 2020 will be that game. where we're talking about the ****** auto ers all the time. Even though auto ers was already in the game for people that didn't want to bother with it. It's sad that on a day with a lot of hypey news, news also surfaces that they seem to have dropped the ball really hard from rather high on the one point they HAD done a good job over the last few years. Half the game needed tweaking. ERS was in the half that was very much ok. We had full control, even though we couldn't set up the ers mapping ourselves before the race. 

That is the ONLY alternative to giving us full control during the race. This now effectively removed the ers feature from the game and Codemasters seems to forget that F1 is, in its core, a sport for engineers and driving as much about being smart as it is about being fast all the time. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1