ERS Deployment - F1 2020

Wow, there really are differing opinions on ERS. Before it was "ERS is unrealistic and needs to be automated with the potential of an overtake button;" Now it's, "Put it back to what it was before as it's more realistic changing ERS in every corner!"

I was 1 who liked the added challenge and strategy of manually changing ERS whenever I wanted but after some time, I feel it is just too much for a game and even some drivers suggesting it just does not work like that too so, am of the opinion it needs this change. I mean watching all drivers in these virtual GPs on auto is really quite fun and good racing so I don't think it needs this constant changing throughout the lap.

My assumption is that these are 3 modes (I assume 3 as there is a number to the left which I believe went from 0 to 2) and pre-mapped for every circuit. Choose "0 Disable", and you will get no ERS benefit (or minimal) where it will only harvest, "1" (don't even know what this could be called) and you get normal harvest and deploy (50/50 use) around the track (potentially harvest under x speed or y braking points, and deploy out of z corners while then stopping deployment after half the straight - maybe used for acceleration only) and then "2 Overtake" to constantly deploy throughout the whole lap/all straights with minimal to no harvesting.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

2 minutes ago, martbloke said:

Wow, there really are differing opinions on ERS. Before it was "ERS is unrealistic and needs to be automated with the potential of an overtake button;" Now it's, "Put it back to what it was before as it's more realistic changing ERS in every corner!"

I was 1 who liked the added challenge and strategy of manually changing ERS whenever I wanted but after some time, I feel it is just too much for a game and even some drivers suggesting it just does not work like that too so, am of the opinion it needs this change. I mean watching all drivers in these virtual GPs on auto is really quite fun and good racing so I don't think it needs this constant changing throughout the lap.

My assumption is that these are 3 modes (I assume 3 as there is a number to the left which I believe went from 0 to 2) and pre-mapped for every circuit. Choose "0 Disable", and you will get no ERS benefit (or minimal) where it will only harvest, "1" (don't even know what this could be called) and you get normal harvest and deploy (50/50 use) around the track (potentially harvest under x speed or y braking points, and deploy out of z corners while then stopping deployment after half the straight - maybe used for acceleration only) and then "2 Overtake" to constantly deploy throughout the whole lap/all straights with minimal to no harvesting.

The drivers in those virtual GP's are not really good at the game. and i understand not putting it on auto takes some practice... 

I think when people said it should be changed they didn't mean take ALL CONTROL AWAY FROM US. they meant let us have control over the mapping of the ers. so we can do it before the race and don't have to change modes click click click click click click from 0 to 3 to 0 on every straight.  Or at least let us choose between different 'preset' auto modes so there is still something to change and some strategy but we don't need to manually do it every corner. 

Now it seems the ai does everything. (although i hope your assumption is right and that was my assumption first too... but seeing the youtube video's they are saying that it's all ai.) and there's just 3 modes it switches between on its own. and you can't change anything except going to overtake. 

We are, however, still waiting on an answer as to what is actually the case. I really really hope your assumptions are right dude but i fear the worst. 

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Bicarda said:

The drivers in those virtual GP's are not really good at the game. and i understand not putting it on auto takes some practice... 

I think when people said it should be changed they didn't mean take ALL CONTROL AWAY FROM US. they meant let us have control over the mapping of the ers. so we can do it before the race and don't have to change modes click click click click click click from 0 to 3 to 0 on every straight.  Or at least let us choose between different 'preset' auto modes so there is still something to change and some strategy but we don't need to manually do it every corner

Now it seems the ai does everything. (although i hope your assumption is right and that was my assumption first too... but seeing the youtube video's they are saying that it's all ai.) and there's just 3 modes it switches between on its own. and you can't change anything except going to overtake. 

We are, however, still waiting on an answer as to what is actually the case. I really really hope your assumptions are right dude but i fear the worst. 

I get what you are saying but I doubt that those guys have actually fully tested ERS in the game as yet and are speculating - I don't see it changing in the Time Trial videos I've seen. I think there is more info to come on this but I do think we will have some control over it. Mapping it in advance? Unlikely but we will have something to do while in race I think.

EDIT: I could of course be wrong as changing between 3 modes during race, what's the difference to what it was before with 5 modes? Could just be an overtake toggle in it's simplest form as you suggest.

Edited by martbloke

@BarryBL I know you're doing other stuff right now but could you please clarify this for us? 
Can  you please, please tell us Mart is right in his assumptions and it's not as bad as we think? 😛

People literally complaining because real F1 drivers said 2019 was wrong so they've made it more realistic.

• Haha 2
  • Agree 2

I'd prefer the option to hold done the 'boost' button rather than a toggle. It's correct what Barry says about drivers having enough to think about already but I think it's actually the other way round. You'd normally only use this when on a straight and it's intuitive to push, then release when you don't need it anymore. With a toggle I'm positive one or both of the following will occur :

1) You press the toggle, then make your quick move but BECAUSE you are so busy you totally forget to press it again resulting in the total depletion of your reserve leaving you vulnerable to an easy pass during the next lap.

2) You will press the button then not being sure if it's actually working (your reserve might be low or your button is temperamental) so you press it again. Then maybe again. Then you hold it down to be sure, depending on the coding this will either register as a single press until you release the button or will toggle the boost on and off multiple times a second.

Unless there is a LARGE and highly visible message in your hud saying BOOST ON or something equivalent it will cause a lot of confusion. Did I turn it off? How can I be sure?

I believe holding the button down is actually the simplest method of applying a LIMITED user controlled boost for a precise amount of time. It's NOT like Indycar where your push to pass button gives you basically all the charge for a whole straight, F1 needs it to be more precisely managed as you can use it as many times you want if you have remaining charge. You might use it twice at Baku for example with the long straight there. I'm really hoping you can choose between push and hold /toggle. I vote push to hold obviously!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sloppysmusic said:

Unless there is a LARGE and highly visible message in your hud saying BOOST ON or something equivalent it will cause a lot of confusion. Did I turn it off? How can I be sure?

There is, the big green bar with "OVERTAKE" appears on the steering display (maybe the MFD as well?)

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, magpieracer48 said:

People literally complaining because real F1 drivers said 2019 was wrong so they've made it more realistic.

Real f1 drivers just said they didn't have to do it as much while driving. not that it is not happening or that they are not partially responsible for setting it up. 
They DONT have to click a button 6 times every straight but there IS ers management going on. What we had was the most realistic we could get it without giving us full control of ers mapping before every race on every track.. (which would take actual testing to set it up). 

Removing it completely does not make it more realistic. it makes it less realistic. and less fun.  It literally takes all the thinking out of the game which they did so well to put into the game in the first place. 

What we had was the same amount of control as real f1 teams had but then on the fly, while driving.  
Now we have no control and a toggle overtake mode.... (a toggle 😥) SO yeah i would say this hurts realism quite a lot. 

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Bicarda said:

Real f1 drivers just said they didn't have to do it as much while driving. not that it is not happening or that they are not partially responsible for setting it up. 
They DONT have to click a button 6 times every straight but there IS ers management going on. What we had was the most realistic we could get it without giving us full control of ers mapping before every race on every track.. (which would take actual testing to set it up). 

Removing it completely does not make it more realistic. it makes it less realistic. and less fun.  It literally takes all the thinking out of the game which they did so well to put into the game in the first place. 

What we had was the same amount of control as real f1 teams had but then on the fly, while driving.  
Now we have no control and a toggle overtake mode.... (a toggle 😥) SO yeah i would say this hurts realism quite a lot. 

I think it could be great if the fuel mix settings would be tied to which ERS modes the game mostly selects for you. (Lean=lower modes to charge, rich selects mode 3 more). That way there would still be plenty of management but we wouldn't have to fiddle around.

Even if this isn't implemented, I think just having overtake available could still create more management/strategy than people think. You can easily overuse it every straight, forcing the game to run lower modes and charge, while you could also play the long game and sit behind someone, letting them use up their battery on the straights, folllow with DRS, and then surprise them by being able to use your extra battery for 2 laps in a row to pass and create the gap. 

Either way I think it'll be an improvement over the micro managing in 2019. 

Edited by Worntoathread
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Worntoathread said:

I think it could be great if the fuel mix settings were replaced with engine modes, and these would be tied to which ERS modes the game mostly selects for you. (Lean=lower modes to charge, rich selects mode 3 more). That way there would still be plenty of management but we wouldn't have to fiddle around that much.

Even if this isn't implemented, I think just having overtake available could still create more management/strategy than people think. You can easily overuse it every straight, forcing the game to run lower modes and charge, while you could also play the long game and sit behind someone, letting them use up their battery on the straights, folllow with DRS, and then surprise them by being able to use your extra battery for 2 laps in a row to pass and create the gap. 

Either way I think it'll be an improvement over the micro managing in 2019. 

What you CANT do though, I fear, is go 0 ers on a straight because you are not overtaking and you have drs anyway. 
or. 1.. because you want to catch up a little bit.. or 2.. because you need to get a bit closer... 

We get WAAAAAAAAAAAY less control and there seem to be coming a lot of situations where you just need to deal with what your stupid ers does..

Like.. now when you get to close to someone and you don't want to pass... you just lift and waste ers? why does the ers need to be wasted? 
And when you just overtook someone you cant just mode 2-3 for the entire lap it's either what the ai wants or overtake...

This is MORE micromanagement for LESS control and the AI WILL **** up all the things as it's always done in Codemasters games I tell ye. Just passengers in our own cars ERS wise..

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I will say I think I got the numbers wrong earlier on ERS modes. Just watching Jimmy Broadbent's video in Time Trial and it's currently in mode 3. Maybe 3 is qualifying mode where ERS is max deployment through the lap??

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Bicarda said:

What you CANT do though, I fear, is go 0 ers on a straight because you are not overtaking and you have drs anyway. 
or. 1.. because you want to catch up a little bit.. or 2.. because you need to get a bit closer... 

We get WAAAAAAAAAAAY less control and there seem to be coming a lot of situations where you just need to deal with what your stupid ers does..

Like.. now when you get to close to someone and you don't want to pass... you just lift and waste ers? why does the ers need to be wasted? 
And when you just overtook someone you cant just mode 2-3 for the entire lap it's either what the ai wants or overtake...

This is MORE micromanagement for LESS control and the AI WILL **** up all the things as it's always done in Codemasters games I tell ye. Just passengers in our own cars ERS wise..

We simply don't know how it'll turn out yet. For all we know the ERS selection might be programmed a lot better than previous games, and then there's less modes so they must've been rebalanced, either way I'll wait until I played it before I shoot it down.

I'm just happy we won't be pressing 50 buttons a lap anymore on top of shifting and fuel management. If that means a bit less control in some situations, to me it's worth the sacrifice.

Edited by Worntoathread
  • Agree 1

No one knows what they have done everyone is just speculating.

just wait until they show a proper video of what that have done.

personally I think there is still management but only 3 modes rather than 5, mode 1 being recharge, 2 normal and 3 high, but in every mode the ers deployment will discharge on straights and recharge on corners but just at variant levels eg (mode 1 30discharge/70recharge) 2(50/50) 3(70/30). Then an overtake button on the top as a full ers dump to go for overtakes. Hopefully a hold button as that’s more realistic.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, dansmotorsport said:

No one knows what they have done everyone is just speculating.

just wait until they show a proper video of what that have done.

personally I think there is still management but only 3 modes rather than 5, mode 1 being recharge, 2 normal and 3 high, but in every mode the ers deployment will discharge on straights and recharge on corners but just at variant levels eg (mode 1 30discharge/70recharge) 2(50/50) 3(70/30). Then an overtake button on the top as a full ers dump to go for overtakes. Hopefully a hold button as that’s more realistic.

Hoping this is what it will be like 

• Agree 3

3 minutes ago, TomAAA said:

Hoping this is what it will be like 

This is what it will be. The modes are automatically changed with the exception of an overtake button which can override this.

1 hour ago, cpayne32 said:

This is what it will be. The modes are automatically changed with the exception of an overtake button which can override this.

What you said is not what he said though. 

I hope he's right and you are wrong. and that WE can change between the 3 automated "ers mappings" 

And that 1 just means it will automatically stay in lower ers modes more (and earlier goes down on the straights)
and 3 means it will stay in the higher modes longer.  So we don't have to switch for corners but still have control over the overall deployment (And don't have to be in high modes on the straights if we don't wanna) 

14 minutes ago, Bicarda said:

What you said is not what he said though. 

I hope he's right and you are wrong. and that WE can change between the 3 automated "ers mappings" 

And that 1 just means it will automatically stay in lower ers modes more (and earlier goes down on the straights)
and 3 means it will stay in the higher modes longer.  So we don't have to switch for corners but still have control over the overall deployment (And don't have to be in high modes on the straights if we don't wanna) 

I believe that either Aarava, TRL Limitless or Tiametmarduk mentions it in one of the videos they released today with the overtake button the only override. Apparently this was changed due to feedback from the F1 drivers as it wasn’t realistic to the real life 

Posted (edited)

I'm dissapointed to see the ERS changed. Mode 2 as pace mode, 3 for quick laps overcut/undercut, mode 1 to save energy, 4 to overtake, and 0 and 5 for recharge and hotlap. Modes as presets were more than fine. It's the competitive gaming that spread the philosophy of micromanaging (same happened with fuel). I'm afraid the overtake button will be the new micromanaging (considering that in real life they are reminded to use it well and for a limited amount of time).

At the moment we are only speculating but the answer given to aarva makes me think that we won't able to change ers modes manually. That's what I've understood watching youtubers content today...

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the auto/manual ERS options has disappared too from the assists menu...

Edited by sirio994

53 minutes ago, cpayne32 said:

I believe that either Aarava, TRL Limitless or Tiametmarduk mentions it in one of the videos they released today with the overtake button the only override. Apparently this was changed due to feedback from the F1 drivers as it wasn’t realistic to the real life 

Not setting up and mapping the ers before the race is also not realistic to real life. what we had was second best to that. 

I hope very much aarvaa had only played time trial and didn't really know or explain it well.. it would be very sad if that is the case. and we're stuck with higher modes on straights when we don't need it. 

Posted (edited)

So according to aarava and this video ers has no user adjustability other than the overtake button, its remapped and auto.

Here is a video of a race in F1 2020 posted on YouTube. ERS is mode 1,  no option to adjust it in the MFD menu, it moves to ers mode 2 when the overtake button is pressed. Basically just the same system as F1 2012 with the kers button. 

@BarryBL Is this accurate? This for a lot of people would be a step backward. Having the ability in a race to control the harvesting and deployment is important as real drivers do that with the 'SOC' dial. We didn't want to do it every corner but this new auto system is a step back. 

Edited by TomAAA
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Maybe he use Auto ers and there u Cant change something except for the overtake button. We dont know which assists He use.

I stay for my Suggestion that u can premap 3 modes and so on... I explained in a seperate Post some time before

Edited by Exodium

10 hours ago, BarryBL said:

A 'hold' function wouldn't be the best thing to add as drivers will have enough to think about.

Please let us make that decision for ourselves, and give us the option to "press to hold."

Or, better yet, go back to what we have in 2019.  It was closer to real life than just an old-school KERS button.

As others have said, people upgraded to better sim setups (wheels) because of the number of controls required in an F1 car.  Making the game easier for casual players is fine, but not if it takes away from the experience of the other players.  I truly hope to see a much-upgraded form of ERS control in a future patch.

3 minutes ago, DrDraken said:

Or, better yet, go back to what we have in 2019.  It was closer to real life than just an old-school KERS button.

As others have said, people upgraded to better sim setups (wheels) because of the number of controls required in an F1 car.  Making the game easier for casual players is fine, but not if it takes away from the experience of the other players.  I truly hope to see a much-upgraded form of ERS control in a future patch.

THIS. I know at least a dozen players that either bought custom rims or upgraded wheels to get the benefit of this system as it allowed them more immersion and it is closer to real life. Now it seems we've gone back to more arcade 2012 system

Posted (edited)

Another idea maybe the ERS System simplified (my Suggestion is much more complicated)... u can premap your deploy and harvest in Setup Mode for your 3 ers modes, but surely its needed that this has impact on your breaking for example

Edited by Exodium

1 minute ago, TomAAA said:

THIS. I know at least a dozen players that either bought custom rims or upgraded wheels to get the benefit of this system as it allowed them more immersion and it is closer to real life. Now it seems we've gone back to more arcade 2012 system

Exactly.  I'm in the process of pricing (and saving for) a new Fanatec setup.  But if this game gets any more casual, I might just stick with my G25.  Yup.  I'm still rockin a G25.  No FFB whatsoever (super ugh) but it's a joy to use aside from that.

What's the point of having the buttons in reach if you no longer need them?  Let me go on record by saying that this would remove a HUGE amount of the FUN from this game.  Easy to play and win games are NOT more fun.  They're just easier to play and win.

• Agree 1