ERS Deployment - F1 2020

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Exodium said:

Another idea maybe the ERS System simplified (my Suggestion is much more complicated)... u can premap your deploy and harvest in Setup Mode for your 3 ers modes

According to aarava who is playing it right now its full auto pre mapped to each circuit, no user adjustability other than the overtake button.

Edited by TomAAA
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, TomAAA said:

According to aarava who is playing it right now its full auto pre mapped to each circuit, no user adjustability other than the overtake button.

That would be sad... But maybe the ERS is still in development and its just for this press Release now

Posted (edited)

At 1m 25s he says the enire ERS system has been removed its now full auto. That sucks big time

Edited by TomAAA

1 hour ago, TomAAA said:

At 1m 25s he says the enire ERS system has been removed its now full auto. That sucks big time

It's not full auto, though. You can still deploy overtake mode manually. 

According to actual drivers, this is a lot closer to reality. 

• Like 2

I think you guys have to understand a HUGE portion of the player base (singleplayer and online) asked for this. While the 2018-2019 ERS system did exactly what it needed to do, it was just way too overwhelming for literally everyone. Most of the time, YOU, THE DRIVER, had to change ERS almost every corner. Not even close to realistic. 

Yes, yes, I know sometimes real life drivers can choose to have a bit more recharging. They are mostly only using the overtake button. That's just how it is. 

I am a controller user, I perfected the ERS abuse (yes, it was literally an abuse) and was pretty good at it and I am happy to see this new implementation.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, MrCosta96 said:

I think you guys have to understand a HUGE portion of the player base (singleplayer and online) asked for this. While the 2018-2019 ERS system did exactly what it needed to do, it was just way too overwhelming for literally everyone. Most of the time, YOU, THE DRIVER, had to change ERS almost every corner. Not even close to realistic. 

Yes, yes, I know sometimes real life drivers can choose to have a bit more recharging. They are mostly only using the overtake button. That's just how it is. 

I am a controller user, I perfected the ERS abuse (yes, it was literally an abuse) and was pretty good at it and I am happy to see this new implementation.

On this forum that wasn't the major consensus there was no HUGE number of posts on it, refinement was.

Never the less those players may be in for a shock for what the asked for, because if you come up against a dirty driver that blocks you while you are using the overtake button and they stop you getting past you will never recover that energy, as there is no harvest mode. Lee Mather confirmed in an interview today you will need to think carefully when to use it because when it's used up you will be at a significant disadvantage. So dirty online drivers will just block now keeping their overtake mode while you use yours and cannot recover the energy 

A user changeable pre mapped harvest (mode 0) and deploy mode (Mode1) with an overtake mode is what a majority here where asking for not full auto. That way during a race you could choose a conservative ers strategy or offensive.

Edited by TomAAA

2 hours ago, TomAAA said:

full auto pre mapped to each circuit,

I'd be interested to know if it is different for every circuit and adjusted by codies to real life input. That would be good. I really cant see why we can't have 3 simple modes and the overtake override (for normal users) and a fully auto plus override for casuals. I'm all for simplicity for newcomers if it's an EXTRA assist instead of a replacement for a more realistic implementation.

Just now, sloppysmusic said:

I'd be interested to know if it is different for every circuit and adjusted by codies to real life input. That would be good. I really cant see why we can't have 3 simple modes and the overtake override (for normal users) and a fully auto plus override for casuals. I'm all for simplicity for newcomers if it's an EXTRA assist instead of a replacement for a more realistic implementation.

@sloppysmusic yeah im pretty annoyed that they went full auto. I and many in my league and friends were hoping for the 3 simple pre mapped modes charge (0), deploy (1), overtake (OT). That way you could be conservative planning your attack, choosing the premapped charging mode and then deploy mode. 

At this stage it will only get changed if enough people complain but alas I don't think it will happen 

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, sloppysmusic said:

I can imagine that even with three manual modes and overtake, you'd still use overtake on every straight, then back to 1 through the corners to be fastest. If this automatic system's any good, that will no longer be necessary. We'll really have to save overtake for what it's meant to do and I think that can only be a good thing and will bring a different/new strategy aspect.

Edited by Worntoathread
  • Agree 1

I'm honestly curious to see its behavior. I mean if in qualify I want to abort a lap. There must be a way to do it. Auto ERS in F12019 was decent but very bad situationally (not good enough to be auto by default).

I don't like the idea of attacking defending the position. The overtaking car and the car ahead both with overtake on and then...it up to whose AI has saved more energy. I play mainly offline but without specific answers it's hard not to imagine drivers complaining about a last lap overtake and loss because of the AI. And what about the DRS? Which instruments will the driver have to break out of the DRS zone?

I'm for the old system as sain hundred times in different threads but I'm not against the auto ERS but we need an answer about all of the situations I mentioned and others that I'm not thinking right now...

• Agree 1

I'd be interested to see if they still include the ERS practice program. Usually you have to do a fast lap but keep the charge at a certain level especially to make purple max score. With nothing to do except press a 'pass'  button now that program is totally redundant. Wonder what will replace it?

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, sirio994 said:

I'm honestly curious to see its behavior. I mean if in qualify I want to abort a lap. There must be a way to do it.

I genuinely wonder if they have thought that through for quality of life. Having no charging mode and only full auto means returning to the pit after every quali run not ideal in short quali or maybe absolutely crawling around the track being a danger for 2 laps trying to get the auto to recover energy? Also the outlap of your quali run, I guess the game will auto keep you in low mode until you cross the line then bump you into quarry mode? what happens if I abort like you say, im still using max energy so no point in doing that second run?

13 minutes ago, sirio994 said:

I don't like the idea of attacking defending the position. The overtaking car and the car ahead both with overtake on and then...it up to whose AI has saved more energy. I play mainly offline but without specific answers it's hard not to imagine drivers complaining about a last lap overtake and loss because of the AI. And what about the DRS? Which instruments will the driver have to break out of the DRS zone?

Dirty drivers will make you use your overtake up while they block and then you will be stuck with a power disadvantage because you cannot choose to charge up manually. There will also be lots of overtake button torpedo drivers I bet too. As to breaking out of drs range its going to be hard this year

This seems like a backward step full auto and a push to pass button, there were loads of great solutions already put on this forum in the last year

Edited by TomAAA
  • Agree 2

7 minutes ago, TomAAA said:

I genuinely wonder if they have thought that through for quality of life. Having no charging mode and only full auto means returning to the pit after every quali run not ideal in short quali or maybe absolutely crawling around the track being a danger for 2 laps trying to get the auto to recover energy?

Dirty drivers will make you use your overtake up while they block and then you will be stuck with a power disadvantage because you cannot choose to charge up manually. There will also be lots of overtake button torpedo drivers I bet too. As to breaking out of drs range its going to be hard this year

This seems like a backward step full auto and a push to pass button, there were loads of great solutions already put on this forum in the last year

In qualify the most natural and realistic solution would be turning the overtake button into the recharge/deployment switch that drivers use in real life.

Going after the fastest lap will be gone too. It will be possible only by playing with fuel...

@BarryBL A proposal for ERS instead of it being full auto. We need a premapped charging mode, deploy mode and then the Overtake button. Right now in the new game its full auto except the overtake button. Being able to switch in race to a premapped charging mode (0) when your being conservative, deploy (1) mode for when you want more and of course the new overtake button for extreme boost. Also the new ers system seems like it hurts qualifying as if you abandon your lap and choose to do another lap your ers would be used up on your abandoned lap.

• Agree 1

Sorry if I'm missing something obvious but how will the new system work in qualifying sessions? We are used to harvesting on the outlap then HOTLAP for the entire actual umm hotlap, then if tires are good we will harvest another lap then maybe give it another shot. How will the game KNOW we want to use all the possible charge to last a whole lap when we can only select a 'burst mode'? I really hope the answer is not we don't have a hotlap option anymore and have to keep pressing the boost button several times during our qualifying lap. If this is realistic then fine I'll learn it but it doesn't seem so to me. We already have to press DRS (unless you have it on auto) several times during a qualy lap will we need to do the same for ERS? 

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, sloppysmusic said:

Sorry if I'm missing something obvious but how will the new system work in qualifying sessions? We are used to harvesting on the outlap then HOTLAP for the entire actual umm hotlap, then if tires are good we will harvest another lap then maybe give it another shot. How will the game KNOW we want to use all the possible charge to last a whole lap when we can only select a 'burst mode'? I really hope the answer is not we don't have a hotlap option anymore and have to keep pressing the boost button several times during our qualifying lap. If this is realistic then fine I'll learn it but it doesn't seem so to me. We already have to press DRS (unless you have it on auto) several times during a qualy lap will we need to do the same for ERS? 

I've tested the auto ERS a lot in 2019. It went with 0 for the out lap then 5 till there was energy left. So I guess the out lap will be fine then I'm afraid it will work the same way. That's why I was asking about qualify. We don't have answers at the moment but the "old answer"/closest system we have seen in f1 games is the auto ERS and it created that sort of problem...

EDIT: plus in the wet it's a common thing going out with more fuel to attempt multiple laps (the same happens at Monaco). And also studying closely the AI and its behavior the game/the AI thinks you're always in a flying lap even if you're 4 seconds over on the delta they let you pass and slow down (which is good but it reveals how the system tends to read the user in qualify).

Also it impacts tyre wear. Cause if I'm happy with my time in Q2/short qualify the in lap used to be slow and with ERS off to preserve the tyres on which I'll start the race from the unnecessary wheel spin of high deployment modes...

Edited by sirio994
  • Thanks 2
  • Agree 1

Slightly off topic but I hope there’s a animation for differential change this year.

7 hours ago, sirio994 said:

I've tested the auto ERS a lot in 2019. It went with 0 for the out lap then 5 till there was energy left. So I guess the out lap will be fine then I'm afraid it will work the same way. That's why I was asking about qualify. We don't have answers at the moment but the "old answer"/closest system we have seen in f1 games is the auto ERS and it created that sort of problem...

EDIT: plus in the wet it's a common thing going out with more fuel to attempt multiple laps (the same happens at Monaco). And also studying closely the AI and its behavior the game/the AI thinks you're always in a flying lap even if you're 4 seconds over on the delta they let you pass and slow down (which is good but it reveals how the system tends to read the user in qualify).

Also it impacts tyre wear. Cause if I'm happy with my time in Q2/short qualify the in lap used to be slow and with ERS off to preserve the tyres on which I'll start the race from the unnecessary wheel spin of high deployment modes...

@BarryBL Hope this ^^^^ can get passed on to the team as Auto ERS sucks for controlling your qualifying laps if you are doing multiple lap runs. Sometimes you need to do more than one lap if one is aborted etc and the new auto in the game will just eat your ers even though you will be trying to charge up for another run

• Thanks 1

It appears to be even worse than I thought. judging from this video that has actual 5 lappers, the 3 modes are '1 - default, 2 - overtake 3 - quali'
So the ai does not switch actually... you just turn it from 1 to nitroboost if you feel like it. 

Also look how FAST the Need for speed nitro drains on overtake mode. (Start at 40 seconds) (and how fast it recharges under ai mode) 

Not gonna lie this looks horrific. Hope this is a veeeeeeeeeeeeeery early build this guy is using that has a placeholder ers system. 

(and IF mode 1 is actually a mode were the ai is changing through ers modes then we need to see that)

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Bicarda said:

It appears to be even worse than I thought. judging from this video that has actual 5 lappers, the 3 modes are '1 - default, 2 - overtake 3 - quali'
So the ai does not switch actually... you just turn it from 1 to nitroboost if you feel like it. 

Also look how FAST the Need for speed nitro drains on overtake mode. (Start at 40 seconds) (and how fast it recharges under ai mode) 

Not gonna lie this looks horrific. Hope this is a veeeeeeeeeeeeeery early build this guy is using that has a placeholder ers system. 

(and IF mode 1 is actually a mode were the ai is changing through ers modes then we need to see that)

Yep this is why people warned about going this route. They really dropped the ball on this one the game is starting to look like a cross between the 2012 Kers button Need for speed nitro boost meets motorsport manager. Not the direction anyone I know wanted 

Edited by TomAAA
  • Sad 1
  • Disagree 1

..I think we should rather wait until we get more details and more info about how does ERS work before we start judging if this is a good change or a bad one.

Also, 2 can't be Overtake. My guess is "1 - Low, 2 - Medium, 3 - High, O - Overtake." Simple and effective.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, mantazzo said:

..I think we should rather wait until we get more details and more info about how does ERS work before we start judging if this is a good change or a bad one.

Also, 2 can't be Overtake. My guess is "1 - Low, 2 - Medium, 3 - High, O - Overtake." Simple and effective.

2 is clearly overtake in the video

I, too, hope that the video is wrong. 
But if this was still subject to change i'd think @BarryBL would have told us by now. 
I think codies silence on this subject just means our worst fears have become reality.  They totally dumbed down the one thing they had kinda nailed in f1 2019. 

Edited by Bicarda

They should just keep the ers as it is in 2019 but just tweak it a little bit and added a overtake button to override the ers so you didn’t have to go into the MFD. hope that sounds correct.

8 minutes ago, Bicarda said:

2 is clearly overtake in the video

I, too, hope that the video is wrong. 
But if this was still subject to change i'd think @BarryBL would have told us by now. 
I think codies silence on this subject just means our worst fears have become reality.  They totally dumbed down the one thing they had kinda nailed in f1 2019. 

Yeah, having watched the video fully, it's a bit odd. Of course, when I don't understand the language, that doesn't help 😅
I'm a bit confused - was that Overtake active while the bar was orange, or when the bar was green? Asking because AFAIK in English there was "Overtake" in orange and "Disable" in green - I'd say when Overtake is written, Overtake mode should be active, and when it's Disable, ERS should work as normal. For now it seems backwards - when "Overtake" is written, ERS works normally, while "Disable" means Overtake mode is on. Codemasters may need to improve this to understand it a bit easier, right now, it's a bit confusing - easiest way would be just not changing the text, keep "Overtake" at all times, and green background would mean it's active.

Also why I'm saying modes should be like that - basing on the Spain Hotlap video. The mode was overtake, and O was written on the HUD on the wheel. I watched the video and when "overtake" was supposedly active, 2 was written. Strange.

(Also Mode 0 still exists, but only in the pits.)

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, mantazzo said:

Yeah, having watched the video fully, it's a bit odd. Of course, when I don't understand the language, that doesn't help 😅
I'm a bit confused - was that Overtake active while the bar was orange, or when the bar was green? Asking because AFAIK in English there was "Overtake" in orange and "Disable" in green - I'd say when Overtake is written, Overtake mode should be active, and when it's Disable, ERS should work as normal. For now it seems backwards - when "Overtake" is written, ERS works normally, while "Disable" means Overtake mode is on. Codemasters may need to improve this to understand it a bit easier, right now, it's a bit confusing - easiest way would be just not changing the text, keep "Overtake" at all times, and green background would mean it's active.

Also why I'm saying modes should be like that - basing on the Spain Hotlap video. The mode was overtake, and O was written on the HUD on the wheel. I watched the video and when "overtake" was supposedly active, 2 was written. Strange.

(Also Mode 0 still exists, but only in the pits.)

It apears to be: when it is yellow it says overtake (LB) (like.. it's available by pressing this button)
on the straight (when it is green) it says "ausschalten" which means turn off.. (again LB)

• Agree 1