ERS Deployment - F1 2020

Posted (edited)

the "is it worth it for a duel with a driver" is great thing although it comes with a double edge, as if that driver is dirty he knows he just has to aggressively/dirty block you especially watching the new rear mirror and you won't be able to recover all the energy you lost. A lot of the focus will be on qualifying as to what happens if you abandon a hotlap and want to got again how do you get energy back if the game is auto deciding your ers?

As to Lando, yeah gotta respect him as an F1 driver. However his maturity towards things like games is sometimes lacking, he already bashed this game saying it wasn't realistic, then went to play Assetto Corsa as he said that was far superior then in the Assetto race with real world drivers (its on YouTube think it was the champions race?) he crashed, rage quit and then said Assetto was 'utter trash' ,ugh, I thought he just said it was superior?  He also rage quit from the e sports too. He's an F1 driver but the game objectivity and maturity is lacking 

Edited by TomAAA
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

The problem I have with the automated ERS in F1 2019 is that it would fall short in many situations. In the virtual GP at Hockenheim where Leclerc, Tiametmarduk en TRL Limitless were fighting for the first position it happened more than ones that one driver would get mode 4 when the other two would stay in mode 1. This made for an easy overtake for the driver with mode 4. But TRL Limitless got mode 4 in the 3d sector, where he could not overtake anyway. So his ERS is draining without him being able to benefit from it and when he finally got on the main straight where he could attempt an overtake, his ERS would go to mode 1 cause his battery drained. That is just so annoying.

I hope that the ERS in 2020 will be smarter than the current system is.

4 minutes ago, Falstojudilofa said:

The problem I have with the automated ERS in F1 2019 is that it would fall short in many situations. In the virtual GP at Hockenheim where Leclerc, Tiametmarduk en TRL Limitless were fighting for the first position it happened more than ones that one driver would get mode 4 when the other two would stay in mode 1. This made for an easy overtake for the driver with mode 4. But TRL Limitless got mode 4 in the 3d sector, where he could not overtake anyway. So his ERS is draining without him being able to benefit from it and when he finally got on the main straight where he could attempt an overtake, his ERS would go to mode 1 cause his battery drained. That is just so annoying.

Exactly if the automatic ers is smart then everything will be alright 

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Falstojudilofa said:

This was the problem with Auto in qualifying, it would go to hotlap and if you decided to abandon the lap and go again on the next lap it was still using all your ers up on the abandoned lap so you had way less on the next run

Edited by TomAAA

hi everyone, I apologize to everyone if I will exhibit something that has already been asked / said in these seven pages (difficult to understand various concepts in English for me), but I wanted to ask a question about the new ERS model: It is clear to everyone that this year will be totally automatic and managed by the CPU with the only manual command that will be managed by us (OVERTAKE) and so far everything is clear, but what I wonder is, given that we have had the opportunity to try and understand how essential the ERS is (yellow bar) during a race, if the CPU will understand where to perform ERS recovery, i.e. assume that you are behind two machines that are dueling and the gap is really minimal (0.400), in this case I should stay at zero and wait to overtake at the right time and then go away, but if the cpu consumes me all the yellow bar (ers) at that time? What I wonder is if the CPU will understand when it is time to load and unload the yellow bar (ers). We don't have any answers at the moment, so you will have to wait for more info about this; for who have a fanatec (xbox), but also for all those who have a steering wheel, setting 1000 times the ERS takes away a lot of attention if it comes out benefited , but on the one hand it raises doubts which we only have to wait for an answer. Thank you for your attention and forgive me if I have written concepts already expressed or requested (I used a translator to avoid errors ^ _ ^)

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

21 hours ago, martbloke said:

Obviously you'd need to make sure your battery will survive for the whole race

Keep in mind that the battery charges during the race as well.  Lowest mode is harvesting energy, which recharges the battery.  Part of the lap would be spent harvesting, and some expending.  The trick is to find the exact combination that maximizes the battery power during a lap.

However, as BarryBL alluded to, it's probably just best to wait until the game launches (or we get Beta access) to find out.

2 minutes ago, TomAAA said:

This was the problem with Auto in qualifying, it would go to hotlap and if you decided to abandon the lap and go again on the next lap it was still using all your ers up on the abandoned lap so you less on the next run

This is a question ask in my league:in Brasile,for make an example,is you take a cut in the first turn,you can make a second lap,but no ers,no time.

So the cpu turn off the ers?

On the hot lap. If you do a hot lap and want to go again won’t you just have a cool down lap where the battery charges for the next hot lap?

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, peanutt2000 said:

On the hot lap. If you do a hot lap and want to go again won’t you just have a cool down lap where the battery charges for the next hot lap?

Its full auto now you can't tell it its your cool down lap, so the game won't know its your cool down lap will just think you are driving slower. Auto right now puts you in hotlap mode the whole of qualifying. 

• Sad 1

Wow this has become a heated topic, can't say I'm surprised!

1 hour ago, peanutt2000 said:

Exactly, but will the auto ERS system understand this in qualifying and will it understand strategic use in a race?

Qualifying, I would say, is easy logic to program, but scenarios that present themselves in races are far more complex.

2 hours ago, Falstojudilofa said:

As explained above the situation for the leaders was not understood by the 19 games auto ERS system. This is a situation where drivers will benefit from more control over deployment/harvesting, and for the sake of a game, it may be the best solution to limit to 1 change of mode per lap as already suggested. Might not be the most realistic solution but one that could work and would be worth investigating. I don't think the auto ERS system will ever be satisfactory in complex race scenarios, however I could be proved wrong.

In real life Honda struggled with deployment when partnered with McLaren, particularly in qualifying. Are all manufacturers systems equal? I think not, but they arguably will be in the game.

ERS is integral to f1 and an important and difficult feature to get right as many games struggles have proved. No doubt it is an issue that will be argued over for months and years to come!

• Agree 2

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, TomAAA said:

Its full auto now you can't tell it its your cool down lap, so the game won't know its your cool down lap will just think you are driving slower. Auto right now puts you in hotlap mode the whole of qualifying. 

We don't know this for sure, have we even seen a qualifying session? For all we know if we put the fuel mix down to lean it might put ERS into charging mode as well or something.

Edited by Worntoathread
  • Agree 1

26 minutes ago, Worntoathread said:

We don't know this for sure, have we even seen a qualifying session? For all we know if we put the fuel mix down to lean it might put ERS into charging mode as well or something.

It is confirmed 

12 minutes ago, SomaticCoast375 said:

It is confirmed 

Well if it is, then that will of course be discussed in the beta when it's tried out now won't it? 

Posted (edited)
On 5/13/2020 at 11:20 AM, BarryBL said:

It is an on/off toggle like @Worntoathread stated. A 'hold' function wouldn't be the best thing to add as drivers will have enough to think about. 

Who makes the decision at codemasters anyway? I have to say this is one of the worse decision's ever. Give the people who like to change ERS the ability to run a manual system one change per lap if needs be as said by @ChasteWand. I know your trying to cater to people who drive like fisher price but still.  It's an insult to user's who spend £100's on racing systems  

Edited by Chromatic
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Worntoathread said:

I certainly hope not. Lean mix and low ERS deployment would be a big hit on your pace!

Posted (edited)
On 5/13/2020 at 11:20 AM, BarryBL said:

It is an on/off toggle like @Worntoathread stated. A 'hold' function wouldn't be the best thing to add as drivers will have enough to think about. 

I had forgotten the above, BarryBL it is frankly insulting to suggest we have enough to think about given the system in place for 18/19. The hold function needs to be an option. After all that is how the old KERS system was implemented, did anyone ever complain about that?

37 minutes ago, Chromatic said:

Who makes the decision at codemasters anyway? I have to say this is one of the worse decision's ever. Give the people who like to change ERS the ability to run a manual system one change per lap if needs be as said by @ChasteWand. I know your trying to cater to people who drive like fisher price but still.  It's an insult to user's who spend £100's on racing systems  

I can't claim the once a lap change is my idea, it was mentioned by someone else earlier in this thread. But I must agree it is insulting to folk who invest in wheels pedals and a rig to use them in. Quite frankly I think the "dumbed down physics" an insult to f1 in general.

Even with more realistic physics/car setup model and a tyre model that included flat spots the casual gamer would find the game accessible given the amount of assists (including the "hidden" gamepad assist) available. The simplicity of the car setup model and an AI that run the default at every track is frankly also insulting. The game really feels like it's aimed at the lowest common denominator and those who want more are ignored. It's a bottom up approach, when in reality a top down approach would be more apt given f1's technical genius. I'm beginning to digress so that's enough!

Edited by ChasteWand
  • Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

35 minutes ago, ChasteWand said:

I certainly hope not. Lean mix and low ERS deployment would be a big hit on your pace!

But.. But... It's TWO FOR ONE!!? Think of all the time you will save. One button press to carry out TWO functions! Maybe if we're lucky the next step will be voice control with no buttons to press at all. Just say FAST or SLOW and ers, drs and fuel mix will all be set for us!

🤔😉😂

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, sloppysmusic said:

But.. But... It's TWO FOR ONE!!? Think of all the time you will save. One button press to carry out TWO functions! Maybe if we're lucky the next step will be voice control with no buttons to press at all. Just say FAST or SLOW and ers, drs and fuel mix will all be set for us!

🤔😉😂

Sorry, I was being serious there. I forgot the game is a "game" and hence a big fat joke! 😉

As a passionate f1 fan and gamer, could I please be excused from thinking f1's digital representation should be taken seriously. Codemasters obviously think it should, but I must admit you've made me wonder...

I'll wait and see, micromanaging sure was a pain, and unfortunately it was needed because of the way it was programmed, in real life the car knows exactly when to deploy and when to cut but to be honest that's pretty hard to program.

The AC system has options that try to simulate this type of system, deploy just in the middle gears, deploy for top speed, burn everything in a single lap... but it isn't perfect. 

Posted (edited)

I lost track of all the topics touched in this thread.

I read that someone was suggesting to go very slow during cool down laps to save energy anyway. It is only partially correct because cool down laps are not created equal. In a dry and sunny session you can do it. But imagine a dry to wet session in which you have 5/10 minutes to set a lap and you go out with more fuel. In that case your cool down laps can't be that slow. In real life it's the same: in many occasions out laps and cool down laps can't be too much slow.

Drivers do customize their wheels. That's why they can manage so many things that well. So in real life a driver would have the option to choose between an on/off toggle and a press to activate button. They have so many shortcuts. So the on/off toggle is not unrealistic, but I agree that a push to activate option should be allowed too (since it's the most common).

Lee Mather's interview by Tiametmarduk made me a bit more optimistic. I hope it's true that driving styles will impact ers management so that we won't have direct control but we will be able to interact with the ERS with our driving. I hope it's a bigger impact than the one the driver currently has on fuel. In my experience lifting and shortshifting has never impacted fuel saving enough...

Edited by sirio994
  • Agree 3

On 5/15/2020 at 2:41 PM, AlexTT said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

omg you mister are the funniest man of the day! 

You’re welcome

Yep limitless has put a video explaining this now.

personally I think this is soo much better as it is soo much more realistic.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

If I copy the information.

1. Overtake button is in race only

2. Qualifying you can switch ERS manually, but you only have Hotlap or none as the options

3. You harvest the ERS and overtake deployment in the same way as F1 2019, by under braking or lifting

Pretty cool.

Edited by weltmeister2211
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/14/2020 at 6:54 PM, HamishOK said:

Hi Barry - thanks for taking the time to update us on Codemasters thinking thus far - it's much appreciated and I have followed this thread with great care as I have recently purchased the Fanatec ClubSport Formula V2 steering wheel so as I can programme and use the ERS settings in 2019. I have also watched the recent virtual F1 races with comments from F1 drivers using the auto ERS in 2019. So here is what I believe would be the best compromise using the existing CM programme code for Fanatec wheel users 

Mode 1 (Low) as a recharge when battery is low

Mode 2 (Medium) as the standard race mode

Mode 3 (High) when needed to push push push to catch the car ahead or to perform an undercut/overcut

Mode 4 as the new "boost button" for overtake 

This only leaves the question of where is the "Party Mode" for Qualifying? - maybe the team at CM expect a driver to "toggle on" the boost button for an entire lap of qualifying?

So that's my suggestions for this very very important component of the F1 2020 game 

Nope

Edited by SomaticCoast375