ERS Deployment - F1 2020

OK - So I have just been watching a very interesting YouTube (link below if CM allow it) by Hywel Thomas Mercedes Power Unit Director who explains about the limited number of "Strat Positions" available to drivers during a race (there may be more but he's not saying on YouTube) - In short their appears to be only a "race neutral setting", a "safety car setting" and a "STRAT 2" position - or "qualy mode". All the rest of the MGUK settings are mostly pre-mapped before the race. This mapping depends on the track, length of straights and number of straights etc all designed to conserve energy for when it's needed, a bit like the earlier post by "The Empire Was Right". He also talks about how this mapping involves "Derating" - saving power at certain points in the track. All in all very interesting and too much for me to summarise here.

What I'm getting at is maybe CM have got it right - drivers constantly changing the ERS during a lap to exploit a faster time is not accurate. Yes drivers can change a small number of Strat Positions during a race but not like it is currently in 2019 CM Game. Also they can make small adjustments to the Strat mapping using the HPP setting if or when the pre mapped settings are wrong - but that is another chapter in a very long post. So what I'm trying to say is - let's wait and see how it goes - no more exploiting the ERS and place my Fantatec wheel on ebay!

Here is the link to Mercedes-AMG You Tube Channel - The bit about "Strat Positions" and "DeRating" starts at 8min 43secs and ends around 14min 20secs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwwUOYTbyfs&feature=emb_rel_end%5C

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, HamishOK said:

OK - So I have just been watching a very interesting YouTube (link below if CM allow it) by Hywel Thomas Mercedes Power Unit Director who explains about the limited number of "Strat Positions" available to drivers during a race (there may be more but he's not saying on YouTube) - In short their appears to be only a "race neutral setting", a "safety car setting" and a "STRAT 2" position - or "qualy mode". All the rest of the MGUK settings are mostly pre-mapped before the race. This mapping depends on the track, length of straights and number of straights etc all designed to conserve energy for when it's needed, a bit like the earlier post by "The Empire Was Right". He also talks about how this mapping involves "Derating" - saving power at certain points in the track. All in all very interesting and too much for me to summarise here.

What I'm getting at is maybe CM have got it right - drivers constantly changing the ERS during a lap to exploit a faster time is not accurate. Yes drivers can change a small number of Strat Positions during a race but not like it is currently in 2019 CM Game. Also they can make small adjustments to the Strat mapping using the HPP setting if or when the pre mapped settings are wrong - but that is another chapter in a very long post. So what I'm trying to say is - let's wait and see how it goes - no more exploiting the ERS and place my Fantatec wheel on ebay!

Here is the link to Mercedes-AMG You Tube Channel - The bit about "Strat Positions" and "DeRating" starts at 8min 43secs and ends around 14min 20secs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwwUOYTbyfs&feature=emb_rel_end%5C

delete

Edited by martbloke

So apparently the new ERS system is only for in race, which I like because it’s more realistic. In practice you can still adjust ERS but only to “0” or “hot lap”