Upshifting early causes a spin in 2020?

Posted (edited)

According to the youtubers who have the game (Tiametmrduk and TRL Limitless) on the videos they say if you UPSHIFT too early you spin the car, as someone who has had the privilege of driving some real life race cars and taking the information from real life F1 drivers about what they say when driving F cars, actually this is the opposite of real life where you would bog down if you shifted up too early. You would spin if you DOWN shifted early.

I can't understand how this got into the game? pretty bad if its still there at release a snap spin for upshifting early, yeah that will be fun especially since it goes against how you drive in the RAIN

Edited by TomAAA
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

In the f2 cars in f1 2019 usually the upshift from 1 to 2 mid-corner gives you a lot more rotation suddenly. maybe they mean that

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

In one of the videos he drives the Ferrari at Bahrain upshifts too early and loses the whole backend. Multiple youtubers saying it now too. Completely unrealistic and means rain driving where you deliberately upshift early could be terrible. Also saying the snap loss of grip just comes from nowhere

at 5:08 in the video talks about it

Edited by TomAAA
  • Like 1

I wouldn't worry about it at this point, the beta hasn't even started yet and the handling usually changes quite a bit between different phases/builds. Still good to point it out though.

The spins are because of the short shifting from 1st gear into 2nd as from what people has said it a way to stop people using 1st for a major advantage in the slower corners.

11 minutes ago, cpayne32 said:

The spins are because of the short shifting from 1st gear into 2nd as from what people has said it a way to stop people using 1st for a major advantage in the slower corners.

Fair enough but you need to be able to short shift in the rain etc 

• Agree 1

Maybe it is still possible but harder to master. Guess we won’t really know 

I like to think that it's one of those things that is still being tweaked.  The amount of extra turn-in or traction that you may get from this type of maneuver would be a significant thing in terms of lap times.  And if it's wrong, it's easy to take advantage of.  Or, if it's wrong in the other direction, it's a nightmare for the players.  Here's hoping they get it right.  🙂

Posted (edited)

It had better be tweaked and actually be reversed to eliminate the stupid downshift quick and back again to get better rotation in the corner. If you downshift to a lower gear when revs are way high, then you should be potentially spinning IMO. I thought upshifting too soon causes better traction and like said above, a bit of bogging down as the engine tries to rotate your wheels in too low revs - why that would cause a spin I don't know. Isn't a spin caused by the rear rotating faster than the front?

I did however see in the F2 video of Arthur Leclerc's race the other day in 2019 that the gear HUD kept going red when he downshifted way too soon which I assume was causing him damage. Some peeps suggested he got the mechanical failure maybe because of this and maybe something they're testing for 2020 which may deter peeps from using this glitch??

Edited by martbloke
  • Agree 2

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, TomAAA said:

According to the youtubers who have the game (Tiametmrduk and TRL Limitless) on the videos they say if you UPSHIFT too early you spin the car, as someone who has had the privilege of driving some real life race cars and taking the information from real life F1 drivers about what they say when driving F cars, actually this is the opposite of real life where you would bog down if you shifted up too early. You would spin if you DOWN shifted early.

I can't understand how this got into the game? pretty bad if its still there at release a snap spin for upshifting early, yeah that will be fun especially since it goes against how you drive in the RAIN

Exacly. It's the aggressive downshift that makes you spin and the early upshift should make the engine bog down. And the late/none upshifting (keeping a lower gear) should cause damage (the famous 7th gear instead of 8th).

Braking while downshifting too quickly should cause instability under braking. I'm not the biggest fan of PC2's handling but they got all those things right...

Edited by sirio994
  • Agree 1

54 minutes ago, sirio994 said:

Exacly. It's the aggressive downshift that makes you spin and the early upshift should make the engine bog down. And the late/none upshifting (keeping a lower gear) should cause damage (the famous 7th gear instead of 8th).

Braking while downshifting too quickly should cause instability under braking. I'm not the biggest fan of PC2's handling but they got all those things right...

Yep agree, seems weird that they have done this