Sign in to follow this  

No assists guidance

Hello. I've recently got the CSL F1 Elite wheel and I'm trying to learn no assists.

At the moment, I'm locking up into almost every corner and losing the backend at most as well.

Any tips and tricks would be appreciated or suggestions on how to improve. Thanks.

Posted (edited)

Hard initial braking. (100% on most corners) braking less as you approach the corner... lift as you start really turning and start accelerating again on the apex. 
That's it for most corners. 

Turn + brake as little as possible. 
Don't shift too far down, and if your rears lock up put brake bias a bit more to the front. 

On the exits Turn+accelerate as little as possible (even more important than the braking..)  
Don't go over 60% throttle out of slow corners unless you're really straight. and short-shifting is your friend. 

Edited by Bicarda
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Bicarda said:

Hard initial braking. (100% on most corners) braking less as you approach the corner... lift as you start really turning and start accelerating again on the apex. 
That's it for most corners. 

Turn + brake as little as possible. 
Don't shift too far down, and if your rears lock up but brake bias a bit more to the front. 

On the exits Turn+accelerate as little as possible (even more important than the braking..)  
Don't go over 60% throttle out of slow corners unless you're really straight. and short-shifting is your friend. 

Adding to this, moving the brake balance a bit towards the rear will make a world of difference. You'll rarely see anyone running above 58% at any track, preferably a bit lower to stop the front tyres from locking in heavy braking zones.

1 minute ago, Worntoathread said:

Adding to this, moving the brake balance a bit towards the rear will make a world of difference. You'll rarely see anyone running above 58% at any track, preferably a bit lower to stop the front tyres from locking in heavy braking zones.

Very true. you want this as low as you can have it without locking up the rears, maybe during the race (at the end of stints) moving bias a bit more forward if needed.. (never above 58% though indeed..)

As others have said for sure. Imagine braking not as on or off but a continously moving application. Full brake at the start (or less if it's not a straight) then smoothly remove pressure until it's down to zero by the time you turn. You can practice this without even driving. Brake hard then move your foot smoothly up until it's full up. Once you've practiced this for a while your muscle memory will use this automatically and you will become so much faster.

And if you're a super maths geek like myself, use the following equation:  BA = 1/SA

"Braking application is indirectly proportional to steering angle."  🤣

In other words, if you're braking 100%, your wheels better be dead straight.  If you turn your wheels, you need to decrease the amount of braking accordingly.

When accelerating, the exact same principle applies.  Ease into the throttle as you straighten your wheels.

But as Bicarda said, don't go above 60% throttle unless your steering wheel is straight.  There's a LOT of torque a couple feet behind you.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks everyone.

Also what should I put the wheel settings on, as in calibration, force feedback etc. to maximize performance and make learning no assists easier.

Posted (edited)

I assume this is the correct one for this wheel: https://fanatec.com/eu-en/bundles/csl-elite-f1-set-officially-licensed-for-ps4

CSL Elite Wheel Base

Tuning Menu Settings:
SEN 360
FF 100
SHO 100
ABS User Preference
DRI 005
FOR 100
SPR 100*
DPR 100*
BRF User Preference
FEI 100

*SPR has no effect, DPR is directly associated with the Wheel Damper in-game setting.

In-Game Settings:
Vibration & Force Feedback: On
Vibration & Force Feedback Strength: 75
On Track Effects: 10
Rumblestrip Effects: 15
Off Track Effects: 20
Wheel Damper: 0
Understeer Enhance: Off

Edited by AoiAsahina