Sign in to follow this  

#FeedbackFriday 05/06/15

Hi all,

Can't believe it's Friday again already?! I'm sure the regulars know what to do but for all the new guys (firstly, Hi!) we'd really like to know how you feel about the below questions.

Feel free to write as much or as little as you like.
  • How long have you been playing DiRT Rally and how do you feel about it? Did you start playing last week? Have you been here from the start? Let us know.
  • League support - Are you in a league? Do you run one (share a link if you do)? How do you feel about our League Support
  • The Road Book - Do you read the Road Book blog post we put up easy week? It it interesting?
  • What kind of thing would you like to see in it?
  • How do you feel about how we handled this week's drama with the patches?
  • Anything else you'd like to say? Shoot!
Have an awesome weekend all!

So,been here from the start.Game has some potential but it needs quite a bit of wor.Fix the Sierra shifting (stuck in 1st most of the times) will be nice.Then understeer needs to get lowered quite a bit.Optimisation can be worked out to (especially ground cover and shader details).Not on a league and probably would not join one.Road book is a nice read but it needs to concentrate more on current development and upcoming fixes and content.As for the patch drama I would have like it more if the company let the pack out so people can play it even in development (thats the point of early access) and come out with an update latter in June completing this month releases.Sorry for the long read but some things had to be said.

• How long have you been playing DiRT Rally // I play it since it was released, 38h in total. I'm playing every day for about an hour, it's totally relaxing for me to forget about everything around me and focus on the road ahead.
  • League support // I'm in The DTL (and fourth so far :smile: ) and in a german community league. I appreciate the feature to see the stage times of your Steam-friends ingame, but that can be a little bit better, eventually with world first / region first / country first? A little bit competition is only good for the sport :wink: 
  • The Road Book // I'm reading your Road Book entries every time, I like how you report how you build the game.
  • What kind of thing would you like to see in it? // I really appreciated the Road Book where you explained that you take actually material on all original places. That's really a must for me. I'm from Baumholder and I can't wait to see if could catch the atmosphere of the "Rally Deutschland" or if you will build another bavarian-alps-scenario-because-we-are-in-germany (which would be so wrong).
  • Patch handling // I had to work and downloaded the patch after it got fixed.
  • Anything else? // Feedback to the community (as mentioned in my other posts)! It would be nice to know which things we will see in the game...or which you even think that they can make it in the game. Furthermore I'm excited of your last physics update (air!) and like to see further improvements on that side of the game, because a racing game is not about the shiny cars, it's about the things you can't actually see.

I'd like to see a revamp in the League support.
As they are now, there's very little incentive to run them.
I'd like to see the League events pay out just like the Championship ones.

I'd specifically like to see a calculated payout system based on the number of people you beat in the given event, with bonuses paid for beating people who rank higher than you on the leaderboards for each stage, relative to the size of the gap between those players.

• How long have you been playing DiRT Rally and how do you feel about it? Did you start playing last week? Have you been here from the start? Let us know.
Been playing DiRT Rally since the day it launched on early access, have about 40 hours in it now.

• League support - Are you in a league? Do you run one (share a link if you do)? How do you feel about our League Support
I run Champion Motorsport's league: https://www.dirtgame.com/uk/leagues/league/14738/cms-racing and http://cmsracing.com/ . Among many other series, we run the only North American based RSRBR team, and have run this team for about 5 years IIRC. We also run our own private RBR series and events.

League support is awesome, and I am so happy you chose to have this available from the start. Being able to create an entire season of events in advance that our drivers can run asynchronously makes my life so much easier than trying to attempt the same thing in RSRBR. Huge props to the team, this allowed us to immediately start running events on launch day.

However the biggest issue is that when an event is completed, the results go *poof*. This means I have to make sure to get online 5-10 min before the end of an event and grab results before the event is complete. Since the entire system, from event creation to the racing itself, is set up so I can get on and do my admin work at any time I can get the time, locking me into having to be online at a specific time at race end feels like an unfortunate oversight.

Other improvements I would love to see in league functionality:
  1. Control over the assists that can be used in our events. - At the very least we would like to disable assists entirely, but having a granular way to enable and disable assists and camera views would really help our events. 
  2. Stage times - The current system shows accumulated time up thru that stage. It would be really nice if it also showed the time for only that stage as well as the accumulated time to that point. 
  3. Formatting in the description - At least line breaks, also URLs would be nice. Full markup would be awesome, but simply respecting line breaks would go very far. 
  4. Bug in hillclimbs: http://http//forums.codemasters.com/discussion/6729/bug-report-pikes-peak-league-time-issue
  5. Would love to be able to export times to xml, csv, json, whatever
  6. Multi-class support: I plan on doing this by hand, but having built in multi-class support would be awesome
P.S. If you agree, please vote/comment on my feedback here: http://http//forums.codemasters.com/discussion/6077/improvement-league-functionality-improvements

• The Road Book - Do you read the Road Book blog post we put up easy week? It it interesting?
Love it and wait with bated breath for it every week.

I loved the "how Pike's Peak got built", that was fascinating. Would love to see more technical overviews like this. Also upcoming content is great. One thing is that some people on the forums are not sure if their feedback is being heard. Maybe a bit on "what we are looking at from the forums this week" might go a long way to simple make those people feel like they are not wasting their breath. Maybe make it clear this doesn't mean that it is being worked on per say, but at least seen and on the list to evaluate further in the future.

I know from experience setup and deployment is a bitch, so I really feel for your release engineer.

The more time I spend with the game, the more I like it. Thanks so much for coming back to the more core rally audience.

Since the day it came out.
Loving the leagues, and hating the drivers that are beating me.
Yeah

It cost me a fortune, it was offline just long enough for me to decide I needed a new mobo and cpu, and buy them on eBay. So yeah,erm,  thanks for that...
My bank balance looks like that kid in the picture

• How long have you been playing DiRT Rally and how do you feel about it?
    Since day one, almost every day, and put 31 hours into it. Just love the pure rally-ness of it, the clean and mature presentation, and love knowing this is just the beginning.
  • League Support
    I'm in a couple leagues with another forum, and it's a great start. Having more stage info in the season editor on dirtgame.com would be helpful in building seasons. As a participant, they're a great addition—between leagues, online events, and careers, there's always something to do.
  • The Road Book. What kind of thing would you like to see in it?
    Yup, read it every week. I'd love to read more technical and how-we-do-it insights, like the track building, how a car is built, how audio is recorded and mixed, the nitty-gritty of licensing, etc.
    As well as could be, especially reaching out to those with corrupt saves. Thanks for the glimpse at Germany!
  • Anything else you'd like to say?
    I'd just like to keep banging the drum for female and POC driver/co-driver models. EA made great news last week including women in FIFA 16, and I'd love to see Codies be able to follow suit, acknowledging the diverse crews and audience rally attracts all over the world—and who would want to see themselves reflected in Dirt Rally. The textures are already in the game!  ;)

Dirt Rally I play from the beginning. I play already 34 hours.
Yeah, I'm in the league and in the Slo-racing league, which currently has 25 members. We come from a small country and this is our little league, but there are (we are) themselves professionals.
Of course, this is an interesting blog and I regularly read.
In the blog I would like to read all about creating Dirt Rally game, maybe post some photos of the team ....
As regards the patch you solve the problem professionally. I did not suffer any damage.
You, as a team you are beautiful !! At the beginning I was a bit skeptical, but now I know that you invest a lot of effort and will Dirt Rally at the end of really good rally sim.

• Since day one of the early access, now have 94hrs in game. A few issues along the way but still enjoying it. Not overly keen on Pikes Peak, which is more to do with the selection of cars than the track... Game still needs more content and that FFB/physics patch.
  • League support - Are you in a league? Do you run one (share a link if you do)? How do you feel about our League Support...
  • Not using the League system at all.
  • The Road Book - Do you read the Road Book blog post we put up easy week? It it interesting?..
  • It's pretty interesting and informative, keeping us up to date on all things Dirt related.
  • What kind of thing would you like to see in it?...
  • More bits from those working hard on the game, long term thoughts and aims etc. 
  • How do you feel about how we handled this week's drama with the patches?..
  • Shouldn't have happened, but think it was dealt with swiftly and professionally.
  • Anything else you'd like to say? Shoot!.. 
  • More content, lots more content! 

How long have you been playing DiRT Rally and how do you feel about it? Did you start playing last week? Have you been here from the start? Let us know.
Almost from the start. I'm loving it, by far the best rally game to date... and yes, I played RBR for a number of years. I still like this better. ;)

League support - Are you in a league? Do you run one (share a link if you do)? How do you feel about our League Support
Not in a league, nor do I know anything about the league support, so I won't comment on the matter.

The Road Book - Do you read the Road Book blog post we put up easy week? It it interesting?
Some of it.

What kind of thing would you like to see in it?
Perhaps some pictures of you developers hard at work developing the game... :)

How do you feel about how we handled this week's drama with the patches?
Well the actual release of the 4gb patch was a bit sloppy, sorry to say. But hey, sh*t happens to everyone, and I think it shows a more human side of yous. It is in the human nature to make mistakes, after all. Not saying you're aliens or anything, but I hope you catch my drift. You were quick sorting out the mistake though, and that's what counts. I think it made a lot of people realise just how hard at work you are.

Anything else you'd like to say? Shoot!
Please add a Volvo to the game. ;) Keep up the good work!

• How long have you been playing DiRT Rally and how do you feel about it? Did you start playing last week?Have you been here from the start? Let us know.
  • A month apparently, that went quick. Credit goes to an RPS article for me finding the game and several YouTubers for getting me to make the gamble to purchase. I've since spent 8 times the price of the game on a wheel and pedals despite having no other racing games. Very happy with the decision so far.

No. Not my thing.

• Yes. Seems to be a pretty decent summary of what's going on. I like upcoming info and direct dev comments on current and future content/features.

• Missed it. The joys of living in New Zealand, the drama had been and gone whilst I was sleeping.

Come visit New Zealand. Make a rally stage or two whilst you're down here ;).

I love this game so far.  I have been playing for a few weeks and i thinks its great.  I think there could be more opportunity for playing with friends.  One thing that I think would be great and something me and my friend agree would be cool is being about to play with your friend as a co-driver.  He could read you the notes and help you through the course.  He would be able to play with you in your career events and vice versa.  After each race the co-driver could earn some money like the driver for their own career, for competing in the event.  With this you could enjoy the different driving styles with your friends, have fun, and earn some money at the same time.  It would add more of a multiplayer experience to the game, something that does not exist in rally racing, because it is all based on times.  Best of luck,
                                                                                                                                                                 Coke

How long?
    Since two days after launch in early access
    League support?
    Personally I have not used the league feature yet.
    The Road Book
    I read it everytime!
    How you want to go about suggestions from the community
    It was all fine :). I liked the video from the german stages that was made with the leaked patch
    Stage length, my best time per stage in custom event screen.
    Ghost Cars.
    More Rallys^^

Hi CM team,
    You guys are doing a great job!!! My first impressions, well...many things to improve, obviously, is a work in progress. I would like to divide online events for those who use aids and for those who do not use, like hardcore event...I wonder how many of those who are in the top 50 running with 21% reward
    . I think they are very different leagues in a sim...
    what more...oh! im still suffering neutral drops using H+clutch on g27, never fixed with the update :(
    I would like to see the leaderboard stages of all players with the aid and device used by each player
    Co-driver mistakes on spanish language...also i saw a few in car setup explanation.
    To finish, i would make a personal request, i would like to add Uruguay to nationality profile!!!! Please!!! lol
    All other things they are on track!!!
    Sorry for my english
    Thanks and have fun

29 April - I love the game.
    Trying to get better at daily challenges first, I have no business in 205 T16 Evo 2 yet :dizzy: 
    Yes it is, and your amount of interaction with the community is both professional,
    refreshing and seems genuine.

Setup guides for advanced tuning.
    I was unaffected, and you have handled it like pros, total transparency and an apology,
    no one could reasonably ask for more in an early access.
    I would like to have GUI errors fixed / improved - as they seem like simple problems;
    (enable dual/simultaneous keyboard and peripheral support in key bindings?)

examples:  With a wheel attached I can still not change liveries on some cars.
    The sequencing of buttons to press, in order load/delete a custom setup, is quite frankly terrible
    ( I more often delete a saved preset then actually manage to load one)

• Add a quick restart button -. a one button press to start over
    • Add a simple test track for tuning with detailed logging of telemetry
    • Ghost cars - even if only my own training runs
    • Look into clutch travel distance / dropped gears for H-shifters, a detailed report is here: http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/6137/g25-clutch-issues#latest

And last but not least, keep up the brilliant work!

The other thing you should add is more volume controls.  I hate that I cant turn most of the volume options down passed 50.  My game is always louder than my teamspeak and my music so i would love it if we had more volume controls so we can make the game as loud or as quiet as possible. Keep up the great work.  Best of luck, Coke

Hi :)

I only got dirt a couple of days ago, I was putting it off because I really want to be playing with a wheel on a simulation game like this, but can't really afford a good one. Now I can't stop thinking about it.
    I don't really understand the whole league thing. Guessing it's just a way to race against 'friends'. Don't think it was really explained in game, which actually seems like the case for quite a bit of the 'side' features. (like I didn't realise I only had one shot at the daily. is it the same for the weekly idk?).
    I like the road book, nice light read to keep up to date with what's happening.
    You handled the update fail well I think. We can't really ask for more than a genuine sorry.
    As for other stuff. I am using an automatic and it often gets stuck 'between' gears and ends up changing up then changing down then changing back up then changing down continuously until I break for a corner.
    Another thing I there seems to be a third person in the car who occasionally takes over from the co-driver to say "finish"  :D why is it not the same voice that says finish?

plz @justbiglee ur better than this :D
    "Road Book blog post we put up easy week? It it interesting?"
    And in your signature
    "two most bitchin pair of shoes" (either one pair or two pairplz)

How long have you been playing DiRT Rally and how do you feel about it? Did you start playing last week? Have you been here from the start? Let us know.
    Been with it since a week after launch, and have over 40 hours logged according to Steam. Still really enjoying it, though the niggles with the league servers constantly going down atm are a bit annoying.

League support - Are you in a league? Do you run one (share a link if you do)? How do you feel about our League Support
    Love the leagues, one of the best things about the game. There have already been plenty of suggestions added to relevant threads throughout the forums regarding improvements, particularly regarding the stats, but my biggest request atm would be to try and keep the servers running consistently as it is frustrating being unable to compete because they keep going down (they're actually down right now if you're reading this...  Internal Server Error 500  :( ).

The Road Book - Do you read the Road Book blog post we put up easy week? It it interesting?
    I do read the roadbook (though not the latest one yet) and yes they are definitely interesting so keep making more of them please.

More of the same really, just general stuff about the game/community and rally in general.

Pretty well all things considered lol. Bit disappointing for all of us who missed out on getting a turn with the new cars and stages though, I think I would rather have lost my game saves haha. :lol:  

Really looking forward to the next update with new content, hopefully it's not too far away yeah? :) 

Been playing since it was released, have about 150 hours played I think. I love the game, glad to finally be getting a rally sim that's worth a damn.

Here are some random thoughts:

I feel like some pacenotes could do with more detail to allow full attack on unfamiliar stages and sometimes "And" or "into" is called when there's a fair distance to the next thing, perhaps slightly shorter distance calls could be included for these situations. The lengths of corners are sometimes not made clear either, there are situations where a corner is long without being called as such or where "half long" and "long" seem entirely interchangeable, and others where I feel an "extra long" designation could be really helpful. Knowing you can trust in the length of the corner means you can get on the gas earlier or set the car up better for longer bends. Some corners don't get called if you go fast enough too. Having said that, the pacenotes are still better than any rally game I've seen before and in a lot of places they have a wealth of detail that can give you a lot of confidence.

When I'm starting a stage on snow I would rather know what the first corner is than be told ice from here, as I can see that :P

I wish my clutch pedal worked in manual sequential mode so I could use it to get the back end out when the revs drop.

Again, though, I love the game =) 

Haven't used league support much but intend to in the future.

The road book is cool I think it gives a good idea of what you're working on.

You were honest and apologetic about having f*cked up with the patches. Can't really ask for more than that. 

I think it's shaping up to be the best CM game, you guys are doing a great job. 

From the start, although not as many hours logged as some! Mainly due to lack of stage kilometres and being worried about learning every inch of each stage.
    I'm not, but I like the idea as the content grows. Having just worked out how to play the Daily (why is it in Career?) I will partake in them where possible.
    It is interesting and I do read it; obviously some weeks more than others, but that's the nature of the beast and I hope you keep doing them. John Barnes' article was great and I look forward to similar ones about Germany, Finland and Sweden.
    More of the same. Interviews or short posts by the guys involved in making the game and previews of upcoming content.

• How do you feel about how we handled this week's drama with the patches? (Formatting in this forum is impossible on a phone)

Perfectly adequately. We know to expect the odd bump along the way and you're learning as we are. I got shut out of Project CARS and left with unusable builds several times during its development, so it's perfectly understandable. However, now that the upcoming content has been previewed, I hope we see it acknowledged and detailed, rather than pretending it didn't happen.

I want to see more stages! Sorry, couldn't help it. No, on the whole I already think there's a fantastic game here, which I fear will not be granted the longevity it deserves without more content, be it from yourselves or the community. Secondly, I would like to see some of the more outlandish things in the suggestiin forum addressed, especially ones that would take too much time to be worthwhile or items you don't think are appropriate. For example, address the stage length limits questions or make it clear that some ideas would be too much work. For instance, the R3E devs have made it clear that there won't be dynamic weather in the short-term in their sim, due to the resources required not being a good use of time. Not a major complaint though, just a minor suggestion :)

I bought the game on day 1, but I`ve now uninstalled it as I find it unplayable (Looks like I`m the only one though, so it must be me), for the following reasons:
    Dramatically variable framerates of between 16-80FPS, despite the benchmark test indicating an average of 62FPS and no drops below 50.
    Appalling FFB.
    Lack of variety in the locations.
    Levels of grip seem, well, strange. I have no idea what`s realistic, but I can`t believe that what is represented here is true to life.
    I have a chance of driving a rally car for a few hours next month, so I`ll be able to get some idea of what is or isn`t realistic.

I believe Dirt Rally was intially designed for consoles, but Codemasters hastily slapped on PC coding and rushed into Early Access to generate more revenue for development. which is fine, except it`s nowhere near ready for even that.
    There is a basis here for possibly the best rally game ever made, but I won`t look at it again until nearer release at the end of the year.
    This is the first time I feel I`ve been stung by Early Access :-(

I bought the game just days after the announcement. I've been impressed from day one, but mainly because the most near competitor is an old game from 10 years ago. Graphic is truly impressive and the content is growing in the right way, but on the other hand I'm not satisfied with FFB and of course physics, because is not a real simulator at its core (but probably was never meant to be, just like the F1 series, it's just a different target).
    Never played leagues.
    Yes I read them every time and it's good.
    Would be interesting to read more technical informations, previews of the work in progress and backstage (like how do you make tracks, cars, texture, etc), the sim rigs you use... etcera.
    Could have been worst. Has been fixed in few hours so that's ok.
    My wet dream is seeing the physics replaced with a real simulated model, 100% hardcore simulation physics. But I know it's impossible...

Last thing: I'm not the most expert pilot, but the AI is very hard to beat. I wish there was a flashback option just for the single event race.

• Been playing about 2 weeks. I love the handling of the cars, its a real challange.
    • Have not been able to join leagues. Some problems logging on with my username. Will try again.
    • Its nice reading the progress in the developement.
    • I think you handled the situation as best as you could. A mistake non the less, but we are all human.
    • It would be nice to have a more organised personal record of fastest stage times per car, on every stage. Add mouse to menues. Dont force recover when driving too far off track, I really want to get back on the road, but dont have time enough. Also after Masters Championchip, is there more? I cant find a way too see if I can progress more...like is there a superhard championship after Masters, with every stage in worst possible conditions? I won every stage on Masters, and didnt progress so I guess not...
    • Would be nice to have a "fix all" on car repair, I have to manually slide everything to 100%, its a little bit enoying. Tried the "mechanics recomendations", couldent figure it out.
    • Also, there is this one hairpin on monaco, that allways slips by the codriver. He doesent say its coming, and it doesent show up on screen. I think its when i drive really fast through the turns before it, the game cant read the notes fast enough, and it skips the hairpin, and continues to read whats coming after...it allways takes me by suprise like "where the hell did that turn come from" and i crash.

I bought the game on day 1, but I`ve now uninstalled it as I find it unplayable (Looks like I`m the only one though, so it must be me), for the following reasons:
    Dramatically variable framerates of between 16-80FPS, despite the benchmark test indicating an average of 62FPS and no drops below 50.
    Appalling FFB.
    Lack of variety in the locations.
    Levels of grip seem, well, strange. I have no idea what`s realistic, but I can`t believe that what is represented here is true to life.
    I have a chance of driving a rally car for a few hours next month, so I`ll be able to get some idea of what is or isn`t realistic.

I believe Dirt Rally was intially designed for consoles, but Codemasters hastily slapped on PC coding and rushed into Early Access to generate more revenue for development. which is fine, except it`s nowhere near ready for even that.
    There is a basis here for possibly the best rally game ever made, but I won`t look at it again until nearer release at the end of the year.
    This is the first time I feel I`ve been stung by Early Access :-(
    Interesting how diametrically different our experiences are, first of all you need to post system specs and some report on  where the frame drop occurs, this should be supplied as a log file, and is exactly the thing early access is for: to find and eradicate bugs prior to "launch".

There is a lot you could test on your end as well, temps, numerous graphic settings ( I started maxed out on every effect, had 40 fps average, and after tweaking 4-5 settings I now average 70 on good, but old hardware (i7 920@3.6 + 7970 Ghz ed @ stock)

..you might have asked this forum for help instead of one whine post followed by a instant sayonara.

FF is being fixed as we speak, I find the 36 tracks very diverse for a cheap game, and as we know there is germany around the corner.

I have driven cars for close to 30 years and gamed for almost as long, I have never seen a more realistic rally experience with a possible exemption of RBR. 

I believe you are absolutely wrong about your console argument, as this is a PC exclusive, even if some of the code base is inherited from earlier dirt games, keep in mind this franchise started as a pc exclusive as well.

This game is the most feature complete early access I have tried.

I am not arguing with how you feel, I am just telling you your experience is the polar opposite of mine, and that you could have tried to get help /solve this in numerous ways you have ignored.

RacerRune said:

FF is being fixed as we speak, I find the 36 tracks very diverse for a cheap game, and as we know there is germany around the corner.

Whilst I agree with a lot of what you say,

a) I'm glad he came to relate his experience when he needn't have bothered and

b) There aren't 36 tracks. There are 6 for rally, and 1 for hillclimb so far, with only 2 more coming for Germany. We need to stop repeating the lie that there are 36.