Ricciardo to Mclaren

What does everyone think about Daniel going to mclaren for 2021? I can’t wait to see him partner with lando

Not officially but I definitely expect it to happen. Would be a great move for carlos

Massive Sainz fan and it’s make or break time for him, it will determine weather he fights at the front end of formula one or slips back into a midfield team after his spell in red. I think he’ll be a match for Leclerc in my opinion. I’m not so sure that Leclerc is on the same level as Verstappen and Hamilton and if that’s the case Sainz will be able to look after himself against Leclerc. As for Ricciardo, it’s a great signing for McLaren and a good reference for how good Norris Is gonna be. I think Ricciardo will have a great time at McLaren don’t think he’ll get wins or championships but he may get a podium or two. As for Fernando Alonso to Renault if rumors are true...**** me...BORING, show some imagination and put some faith in young drivers.  

• Haha 2

Also the Sainz to ferrari has now been co formed as well.

Sainz will be the clear No.2 to Leclerc in his contract. Ferrari have already established Leclerc as the favourite in that team. According to Italian press Nicholas Todt ensures that

Imagine if Bottas goes to Renault and Vettel to Mercedes.. Not happening but... How insane would that be?

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, daandw02 said:

Imagine if Bottas goes to Renault and Vettel to Mercedes.. Not happening but... How insane would that be?

That would be a dream. Having two world champions in a Merc going against the young guns at Ferrari and Red Bull, yes. 

Although Vettel leaving proves Ferraris car (which they have to use next season also) is trash, if anyone thought they had a genuine title contender car they would take any deal, but he turned it down. Binotto said today in the Sainz statement about the championship  "we have a long journey ahead" says it all

Edited by TomAAA

With this statement today, my Dream Team for Mclaren has come true. I can be happy now. 

32 minutes ago, TomAAA said:

Sainz will be the clear No.2 to Leclerc in his contract. Ferrari have already established Leclerc as the favourite in that team. According to Italian press Nicholas Todt ensures that

No way on this earth has Sainz signed a deal where he is number 2. Speed dictates number 1 and 2. Nothing to say Sainz maybe quicker then Leclerc.

It's a great move for Ricciardo and McLaren. With Mercedes engines they should be quicker than Renault next year. 

Sainz will be number 2 for 2021, but could become number 1 if he's quicker, just as Leclerc did.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, WestHam66 said:

Sainz will be number 2 for 2021, but could become number 1 if he's quicker, just as Leclerc did.

Part of Vettels leaving statement said "both parties need to be in harmony" there has been much talk of Nicholas Todts (Leclerc manager and Jean Todt FIA boss son) power and influence at Ferrari, the Italian press called him Napoleon of Ferrari saying he has been controlling the politics a lot. Hence why Vettels statement hints at disharmony 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, peanutt2000 said:

No way on this earth has Sainz signed a deal where he is number 2. Speed dictates number 1 and 2. Nothing to say Sainz maybe quicker then Leclerc.

Exactly. It probably has some clause that needs to do what team says. But in order for team to make him help Leclerc, first Leclerc needs to show on track that he is undisputed #1 on speed (which comes with team work and preparation for each track).

1 hour ago, scottishwildcat said:

(Should be in the World of Motorsport forum, not the Game forum.)

Agreed, moved.

Personally, I like the move. I think Hulk goes back to Renault next season. Call me boring, but I think that may be the call from Renault for 2021.

Reality: Hulk to Renault, Seb Retires.

What I'd like: Seb to Aston Martin, Perez to Haas, Grosjean retires (nothing against him, just Perez for the North American market suits) and Alonso to Renault.....maybe.

• Agree 2

I apologise for raising this in the wrong category.👍

5 minutes ago, cpayne32 said:

I apologise for raising this in the wrong category.👍

No worries mate, all good. Close enough haha 😛 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

People need to ask themselves why a driver like Vettel would walk away from a potential championship winning car, Ferrari confirmed the offered him a deal, any driver would have taken even a 1 year deal with no money if they thought it was a championship contender.

He must have got in that car in testing and realised that the car they will now have to use for two seasons is pretty terrible. The testing pace showed that too. Also today in the Sainz announcement Binotto said the long term goals of the team had changed and that there would be a 'long journey ahead' so basically admitting slow car.

Edited by TomAAA

26 minutes ago, TomAAA said:

People need to ask themselves why a driver like Vettel would walk away from a potential championship winning car, Ferrari confirmed the offered him a deal, any driver would have taken even a 1 year deal with no money if they thought it was a championship contender.

He must have got in that car in testing and realised that the car they will now have to use for two seasons is pretty terrible. The testing pace showed that too. Also today in the Sainz announcement Binotto said the long term goals of the team had changed and that there would be a 'long journey ahead' so basically admitting slow car.

I wonder if this has anything to do with the whole power unit saga as there pace dropped after America and the undisclosed agreement was extra weird.

I just think Vettel didn’t have the stomach for a fight in and out of the car against and up and coming driver. He went from being the undisputed number 1 at Ferrari to shared number 1 status with Leclerc. Maybe he’s just a bit long in the tooth for the Ferrari behind the scenes politics. I’m not a massive Vettel fan but he’s at his best when he’s got a team mate who doesn’t challenge him, as soon as his team mate is capable of challenging him and beating him it doesn’t end well. Happened twice now with Ricciardo and Leclerc. He’s run from a fight twice.

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, peanutt2000 said:

I just think Vettel didn’t have the stomach for a fight in and out of the car against and up and coming driver. He went from being the undisputed number 1 at Ferrari to shared number 1 status with Leclerc. Maybe he’s just a bit long in the tooth for the Ferrari behind the scenes politics. I’m not a massive Vettel fan but he’s at his best when he’s got a team mate who doesn’t challenge him, as soon as his team mate is capable of challenging him and beating him it doesn’t end well. Happened twice now with Ricciardo and Leclerc. He’s run from a fight twice.

As to the running from a fight, Martin Brundle done a piece recently (last month I think?) where he says it was a well known secret Vettel deliberately dropped his form in 2014 season as he wanted the Ferrari contract as he was unhappy with red bulls direction for the hybrid era. There was something about his contract and a clause. Hence why he suddenly found form the next year and gave the Mercedes drivers a run and posted 3 wins in a weaker car. Brundle and Horner basically agree in the article running from a fight was not what was going on there, that there were other factors and maybe 'games' at play. As to Leclerc I think like you say Vettel does not want to be involved in the politics Christian Horner says Vettel likes to just turn up and drive, you can't really do that at Ferrari. 

There are no real other top seats available on the grid, so for him to walk says a lot about his faith in the team and the car. 

Here is what Binotto said today proving Sainz will be a clear no.2 and basically saying he's the Bottas to Leclerc 'pure talent' Direct quote:

"Carlos is a strong, reliable driver that has scored a lot of points and I believe he is a great driver to be paired with the pure talent of Charles, so that he can grow and win"

Edited by TomAAA

20 minutes ago, TomAAA said:

As to the running from a fight, Martin Brundle done a piece recently (last month I think?) where he says it was a well known secret Vettel deliberately dropped his form in 2014 season as he wanted the Ferrari contract as he was unhappy with red bulls direction for the hybrid era. There was something about his contract and a clause. Hence why he suddenly found form the next year and gave the Mercedes drivers a run and posted 3 wins in a weaker car. Brundle and Horner basically agree in the article running from a fight was not what was going on there, that there were other factors and maybe 'games' at play. As to Leclerc I think like you say Vettel does not want to be involved in the politics Christian Horner says Vettel likes to just turn up and drive, you can't really do that at Ferrari. 

There are no real other top seats available on the grid, so for him to walk says a lot about his faith in the team and the car. 

The Aston Martin team for 2021 is a genuine option for Vettel I think, I think they’ve massive ambition and are trying to build towards a top team. Vettel and Perez is a good line up.

How you think Sainz matches up with Leclerc? 

It would not be Perez in the other seat, it would be Stroll, which would be fine since Sergio is certainly able to get another seat if need be. Stroll isn't a bad Number 2 Driver in the midfield.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, camjohnstonn said:

It would not be Perez in the other seat, it would be Stroll, which would be fine since Sergio is certainly able to get another seat if need be. Stroll isn't a bad Number 2 Driver in the midfield.

He’d be a shocking number 2 driver. He’s a half decent number 2 to Sergio. Perez, he’s constantly 3/4 tenths off Perez in qualifying and normally nowhere in the race. Put Vettel in the car and stroll as number 2 then that 3/4 tenths becomes 5/6 tenths with Vettel in the car. He’s a decent number 2 to Perez. Need a quicker number 2 for Vettel.

Theres only so long Daddy Stroll can keep paying for his sons racing career until Stroll either steps up and delivers consistently or Daddy will have to let him go for the good of the team.

Edited by peanutt2000