Sign in to follow this  

Gaming PC Build and Future Proof

I will get a gaming PC but it is 20 years since I built a PC and fear my 1990 AMD Athlon 512Gb 40Gb memories won't help much.  Ran F1 99 OK though!!

It will only be used for gaming and I'd like it to be future proofed.  I'm only interested is driving games/sims.

I was idly thinking of I was idly thinking of:
AMD Ryzen 7 3800X,  ASUS® TUF X570-Plus, 16GB memory, RX 5700 XT, 1GB SSD, W10 Home, wireless keyboard/trackpad.
In a small black case.
I have a 5.1 sound system - Creative Desk Top Theatre DTT2200 - which I intend to use with the motherboard built in audio and will be using a Samsung
C49RG90 5160 x 1440 monitor.

And I am using a Fanatec Direct Drive 1 wheel and pedals.

Grateful for any ideas/confirmation/shooting down in flames!!

I'd choose the 3700X over the 3800X (if budget is an issue). The performance gaming in gaming are negligible (around 2% performance gain for 11% higher price).
I'd also recommend Nvidia GPUs at the moment. They are a tad more pricey but the driver support is a different world and they usually outperform AMD's GPUs. Again, really depends on your budget and whether you're only planning to game or also looking at productivity stuff (encoding, decoding, rendering etc).

• Agree 1

I built my system just over a year ago, and it's very much like what you have listed.  Some differences, of course, but the main bits are about the same (processor speed, gpu, ram, etc).  I have a Gigabyte Aorus board with Wifi (though I'm hardwired - wifi just as a backup).  The main thing that I went with was a large box.  I got a "midsize" case, but it's huge in comparison to my old "midsize" case.  And this is a good thing.  It's a Thermaltake case with 3 fans - 2 in front, 1 in rear.  It never gets hot.  The airflow is excellent.  I run F1 2019 in max graphics mode and it doesn't even burp.

Don't slow down your system with only 16 GB RAM. That was a good choice 10 years ago and is still okay today, but since you want your system to be "future proof", you shouldn't be okay with "just okay" - aim straight for 32 GB RAM. 😉 My system/mainboard is also too old for a "future proof" graphics card and I was only able to get one with 8GB VRAM, which is actually the one you mentioned - RX 5700 XT. It's pretty good and relatively new, but if my old mainboard had also supported a graphics card with 16 GB VRAM, that's what I would have bought. My old graphics card broke last December, but I didn't want to get a completely new system when all the other hardware was still running, so this is why I "only" got a graphics card with 8GB VRAM just last December myself, but would advice you to go for a little bit more than that. 😉

New gen of video cards is suppoused to be a few months away, the Radeons specifically will also be the basis of the new consoles, at this point it's unknown how they will compare to 5700xt or the RTX 2000 (and can the 3000 beat them), so i advise  you to hold fire just a little bit longer.

Wait for the Nvidia 3000 series GPUs. They're going to be spectacular.