Jump to content Jump to content

Fanatec DD1 + TM T3PA - Oscillations

Don't think this is a CM issue, but the tech expertise might help.

I've just got the DD1 but having to use T3PA pedals whilst waiting for Fanatec. Pedals have a Bodnar USB converter and plugged into a USB C hub, wheel direct into laptop.  Previously had TM T150. 

Wheel just doesn't feel right. In High torque mode on a straight at speed, violent oscillations build up with wheel turning +/- 90 degrees very quickly - hands off rim.  In Low torque there is strong self centering such that trying to apply gentle or constant steering angle, eg Monaco tunnel, the wheel is trying to snap back to centre. 

Wheel and game settings recommended by other Fanatec users and are generally low to mid range. 

I don't think it should be like this!!

So wondering if I have a major interference problem with:

Using USB C hub for pedals?

USB converter on pedals?

Laptop limitations - lowish frame rate conflict with FFB? 

Etc, etc

Just wonder if the expertise here has any idea. 

54 minutes ago, thisdisplayname said:

Don't think this is a CM issue, but the tech expertise might help.

I've just got the DD1 but having to use T3PA pedals whilst waiting for Fanatec. Pedals have a Bodnar USB converter and plugged into a USB C hub, wheel direct into laptop.  Previously had TM T150. 

Wheel just doesn't feel right. In High torque mode on a straight at speed, violent oscillations build up with wheel turning +/- 90 degrees very quickly - hands off rim.  In Low torque there is strong self centering such that trying to apply gentle or constant steering angle, eg Monaco tunnel, the wheel is trying to snap back to centre. 

Wheel and game settings recommended by other Fanatec users and are generally low to mid range. 

I don't think it should be like this!!

So wondering if I have a major interference problem with:

Using USB C hub for pedals?

USB converter on pedals?

Laptop limitations - lowish frame rate conflict with FFB? 

Etc, etc

Just wonder if the expertise here has any idea. 

I would question the wisdom of using USB C and especially a hub. Even USB 3.0 (and C is usually 3.1, 3.2 or will possibly become 4) is not without issues and hubs powered or unpowered are generally bad. Backward compatibility is promised, real world experience says otherwise (depending on what and how is connected).

The Bodnar adapter probably uses USB 1.1 rates, most peripherals do. So I would try direct to laptop for both.

If you can set the USB options on the laptop to use USB 2.0 (may be EHCI rather than XHCI mode) and give an indication of the laptop spec or model that might be helpful or to find out what is possible. XHCI just works differently to EHCI and legacy.

Thanks.  Laptop is in my signature.  Laptop has  1 x Full-size USB 3.0 and 1 x USB Type-C 3.1 Gen 2.  I have a hub plugged into the USB C which has an HDMI, 1 x USB 3.0 with external 1 TB SATA HDD with games on it, and 2 USB 2.0.

DD1 is plugged into Laptop USB 3.0 and pedals into the Hub USB 2.0.  Having both DD1 and Pedals on Hub USB 2.0 ports doesn't make any difference.

Anything over 20mph and my hands are thrown off!!

Youtube video of oscillation - 

29 minutes ago, thisdisplayname said:

Thanks.  Laptop is in my signature.  Laptop has  1 x Full-size USB 3.0 and 1 x USB Type-C 3.1 Gen 2.  I have a hub plugged into the USB C which has an HDMI, 1 x USB 3.0 with external 1 TB SATA HDD with games on it, and 2 USB 2.0.

DD1 is plugged into Laptop USB 3.0 and pedals into the Hub USB 2.0.  Having both DD1 and Pedals on Hub USB 2.0 ports doesn't make any difference.

Anything over 20mph and my hands are thrown off!!

Youtube video of oscillation - 

Looking at that is the wheelbase firmware updated?

Oh and the firmware updates for the Surface 3 are here.

Yup - well I think so - PC driver is 356, Wheel Base firmware 670 and V2 28.

And that oscillation at 20ish mph doesn't seem correct to you either??

Also, can't find a way of reverting USB 3 ports to USB 2.0.

And I've bowled out any issue with pedals by using keyboard for throttle/brakes and wheel for just steering.

At this rate, it is all going back to Fanatec!!

I think somehow your pedals are interfering. Since t3pa is standard rj12? I believe? Perhaps something wrong in the converter to usb which causes the wheel to do that? Just thinking with you guys. 

but updating all of your drivers is always a good place to start. You said you THINK so, so why not convert thinking to knowing for sure?😉 especially with all those windows updates, there has to be just 1 nasty driver to **** everything up

1 hour ago, thisdisplayname said:

>I think somehow your pedals are interfering. 

I thought that, so removed them and used the keyboard for throttle/brakes.  Same issue.

Deleting all drivers and will reinstall.

I can't see any documentation that shows your Surface 3's UEFI setup. If it's anywhere, that's where you would control the USB. But some options in the UEFI are hidden, you might get [Enable/Disable] or you might get something like USB [Legacy] or [XHCI/EHCI], etc.

Remove all other connectors from the hub for troubleshooting. But hubs are not great either, is it a powered affair or passive? I'm guessing the display is plugged to it, so use just the laptop display.

1 hour ago, thisdisplayname said:

Got into UEFI, but could find settings like old BIOS settings I'm used to!!  Passive hub.

Like I say, laptops are pretty restricted with most BIOS options hidden. I can't find any online documentation. 

Hate to say it, but I feel this modern tech (or the hub) may be the cause of the issue. I certainly would explore the game on a connected PC or different laptop with more or more configurable USB ports. If you reach out to Fanatec, I'm sure they will give similar advice. But I would for sure make that the next step before RMA as you might find yourself with expensive shipping costs BOTH ways plus some kind of inspection fee.

Just been watching last weekends F1 2019 F2 race at Barcelona on YouTube. Norman Nato was often filmed and he is clearly using a Podium DD and V2 wheel.

Absolutely no oscilation at all. After he won, he was shown hands off driving straight down the start/finish straight, and still doing a fair speed 80+ mph/130 kmh. Not a shimy by the wheel - it remained rock solid.

Short video

and his car can be seen hoofing down the straight hands off.

Well, the Fanatec beta testers reckon it is F1 2019 software limitations and in high torque, the DD1 is too sophisticated for F1 2019 simplicity.  I understand that low torque is about the same as CSW 2.5.

In LT, it drives much better, but I still need to get more sensation back of loosing front grip.

I might be better better off with a belt drive wheel like CSW, but although at the moment my interest is CM F1, I guess I have the DD performance should I go to another sim.

Is is thought that a CSW 2.5 would be a better, smoother experience?  But may reach limitations in better sims.

3 hours ago, thisdisplayname said:

Well, the Fanatec beta testers reckon it is F1 2019 software limitations and in high torque, the DD1 is too sophisticated for F1 2019 simplicity.  I understand that low torque is about the same as CSW 2.5.

In LT, it drives much better, but I still need to get more sensation back of loosing front grip.

I might be better better off with a belt drive wheel like CSW, but although at the moment my interest is CM F1, I guess I have the DD performance should I go to another sim.

Is is thought that a CSW 2.5 would be a better, smoother experience?  But may reach limitations in better sims.

I'm sorry, but if you got that response from Fanatec then it's ********* buck-passing. They are selling the Podium bundle with F1 2020. If it's users, it's just buyer's regret.

What they are basically saying is they won't investigate / don't care why 1700€ of hardware won't work with a 75€ game? Hard to swallow when they are the official supplier of F1 Esports and you've posted video of Nato having no issues.

I still maintain it's likely that the Surface Laptop is the issue and / or the USB-C Hub. Microsoft should have put more ports on a computer they want to sell as an alternative to a MacBook.

The 16 MacBook Pro has 4x Thunderbolt ports, the Surface 3 15 Laptop has a USB-C and USB-A, that's pathetic. (I'm sure there will be just as many issues with the Thunderbolt ports on the MacBook but hey, chances to sell expensive Apple adaptors).

Just my 10c but I'm sorry we weren't able to offer you a solution. Hang fire until you get the gaming rig.

Archived