Jump to content

Lee Mather Responds to Scanned Tracks

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, TomAAA said:

A lot of people on here talking about scanned tracks. Today there was an interview given by Lee Mather he says they have the scan data for tracks but have decided not to use because of time constraints or in some cases as Codies version of the track is superior

"We do have LIDAR data for other circuits, but to obviously rebuild an entire track from that data again is another year of man-hours to do so. So LIDAR isn’t available for all tracks."

“There’s a lot of people [who] say LIDAR’s the silver bullet and it’s great, it’s amazing. It’s not always the case: The quality varies, the way that it’s captured varies, it’s not always perfect. We’ve certainly had LIDAR data that would have given us tracks that weren’t as good as the ones we have in game.

Also on the subject of VR he says “It’s very difficult to bring a game that runs like Formula 1 with such an intense physics engine and graphics engine to run VR"

Link to Interview https://www.racefans.net/2020/05/15/classic-tracks-livery-editor-vr-your-f1-2020-questions-answered/

Hahahahahaha! Arrogance at its finest.

There are far superior games out there in terms of physics that have VR, granted the f1 games look good, but the games with the superior physics and VR don't look that shabby!

I think the codemasters f1 series would benefit from new leadership, maybe then it can live up to the hyperbole...

  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, ChasteWand said:

Hahahahahaha! Arrogance at its finest.

There are far superior games out there in terms of physics that have VR, granted the f1 games look good, but the games with the superior physics and VR don't look that shabby!

I think the codemasters f1 series would benefit from new leadership, maybe then it can live up to the hyperbole...

Finally someone who shares my thoughts...

remember last year? We got pretty clouds! But a stable framerate is too much to ask. He just doesn't have high standards when it comes to producing a complete package, same with the tracks and all the other ********. 
 

in stead of beeing honest and saying it's just too much work for the few people who use VR, he comes with another ******** excuse. It's always excuses with this guy. If this is so intense graphics engine, how come the framerate in 19 is all over the place? Why does it looks cartoony? 
 

dirt looks 10 times better, AND THEY HAVE VR. With more detailed cars and tracks. And F1 in this state is too heavy? What a joke! It's just the same blablabla, just a different day.

And what you said, time to switch leadership and place someone who actually cares for QUALITY, in stead of filling it with useless functions, while all that time and resources should be used to fix all the issues from previous years which carried over. 

One thing he seems to miss is that people don't care about the quantity of options in a game, when the QUALITY SUCKS BALLS! 

 

great minds think alike!

Edited by AlexTT
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, AlexTT said:

Finally someone who shares my thoughts...

remember last year? We got pretty clouds! But a stable framerate is too much to ask. He just doesn't have high standards when it comes to producing a complete package, same with the tracks and all the other ********. 
 

in stead of beeing honest and saying it's just too much work for the few people who use VR, he comes with another ******** excuse. It's always excuses with this guy. If this is so intense graphics engine, how come the framerate in 19 is all over the place? Why does it looks cartoony? 
 

dirt looks 10 times better, AND THEY HAVE VR. With more detailed cars and tracks. And F1 in this state is too heavy? What a joke! It's just the same blablabla, just a different day.

And what you said, time to switch leadership and place someone who actually cares for QUALITY, in stead of filling it with useless functions, while all that time and resources should be used to fix all the issues from previous years which carried over. 

One thing he seems to miss is that people don't care about the quantity of options in a game, when the QUALITY SUCKS BALLS! 

 

great minds think alike!

I can't bring myself to buy the f1 games until the support cycle is over, second hand and a year behind for me. Don't have 19, and for once am not going to bother!

I must admit I'm not a great fan of dirt either, but I agree it's better than the f1 series. No doubt due to the time constraints of a yearly release. Many of the problems in f1 I believe stem from the EGO engine. They should have a look at licencing the Madness engine from SMS, as they own the company, a beneficial deal could be done. VR, good physics and tyre model, livetrack, in house support. Need I say more.

Edited by ChasteWand
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, AlexTT said:

dirt looks 10 times better, AND THEY HAVE VR.

To be fair here Dirt usually only has ONE car on screen at a time except for small races (6?). Having large realistic looking tracks and 20 different cars with all the ai running in the background is a much bigger system load. If you're talking VR for time trial only, that's different.

  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Schorchi said:

@mikyesposto95 Codemaster's F1 game is not intended to be taken as a Sim game and I doubt that they will change this approach over the next two years. There are far too many casual F1 fans (myself included) who enjoy being able to drive to the best of their abilities with the limited amount of time/money for hardware they have.

Sure, they are free to change that, but I don't see how well consoles would cope with it (not even mentioning that many of the casual players are likely to drop the game entirely if it is turned into a pure simulation)

Somehow this season they have 2 handling modes like people have been clamoring for a while, only it doesn't seem like it made the "difficult mode" better by leaps and bounds... at least not so far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They will need to rework something for next gen starting in F1 2021. 

It seems they are willing to just put some extra make up on the 10 year old circuits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Well, it's perfectly fine for me not to have all tracks laser-scanned or with LIDAR data but to have some classic "evergreen" F1 tracks such as Spa, Monza, Brasil, Silverstone as accurate as possible would be nice, especially if you take into account the differences in altitude of the track. Spa, for instance, is actually a roller-coaster. Why not update just two or three tracks every iteration of the game with LIDAR data.

Edited by SAL_LippiArsenal
  • Agree 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At spa the whole busstop chicane is wrong compared to real life. For years... sounds like a broken record🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, AlexTT said:

sounds like a broken record 🤣

LOL, does the TT in your name by any chance stand for Tut Tut? Please say it does! Lmao 🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/15/2020 at 8:43 PM, BarryBL said:

Hey @AlexTT, I'm defending that one 😛 

Bump is gone for 2020. 

Also the Red Bull Ring 'Bump' at turn 3? @BarryBL

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I don't want to burst people's bubble. 

Just check out pcars2. 

For those people who use wheels you can tell instantly what tracks are laser scanned and not 

So forgive me for all this horllics but laser scan tracks are far superior then the graphics team hand making them.       And no hurt intended graphics team as you do a brilliant job .

But laser wins.

Perhaps if codemasters stuck to there 2014 advertising. We are going to  produce an F1 game that lasts 2 years with some paid and some free DLC.  To reflect the F1 teams fluctuations in the championship. 

Man was I excited. 

Look how gullible I was 🤯🤯🤔

.sometimes when I  laugh my head hurts at stupid stuff.🙃🤪

I get more gullible by the day 🤣🍻

I am also able to predict the future probably by 3 days 

Yes you do have more chance of winning the lottery 🤣🤥🏎🏎🏎🏎🏎❤🤔

Masterlooke. I already asked  about the  red bull bump. 

Which is far worse the the Japanese track. 

Edited by senna94f1
My bad spelling.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/15/2020 at 8:15 PM, AlexTT said:

instead of beeing honest and saying it's just too much work for the few people who use VR, he comes with another ******** excuse. It's always excuses with this guy. If this is so intense graphics engine, how come the framerate in 19 is all over the place? Why does it looks cartoony? 

I don't see how it wouldn't be an intense graphics engine. I think that those framerate issues would be good examples of that 🙂  If you'd be running my engine for instance, you wouldn't even spot the framerate differences as it does significantly less stuff over a draw "step" than the EGO engine!

 

On 5/15/2020 at 8:15 PM, AlexTT said:

dirt looks 10 times better, AND THEY HAVE VR. With more detailed cars and tracks. And F1 in this state is too heavy? What a joke! It's just the same blablabla, just a different day.

Well the thing with DR2.0's VR, is that it's not made by Codemasters. It was funded by Oculus and developed by a third party company whose name I cannot remember. I think old EGO's VR was a project made in-house as it was in GRID: Autosport, Toybox Turbos and DiRT Rally (Oculus + PSVR)

In general, VR tend to require a lot of work to be done to an accetable level. I can't comment on what would the developers need to work on to get it to run on EGO 3, but I know that it won't be easy. Especially with all the performance issues and stuff/scenes that haven't really designed for VR. It is a huge project to be developing and it's never an easy decision to start working on one

Also as a note Lee Mather used to be a game designer, so he may not be good at talking about technical things. That doesn't mean that they don't have proper reasons for not including VR though! If they could just snap their fingers to include VR with no issues, they would've done it years ago! 🙂 

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/15/2020 at 6:53 PM, sloppysmusic said:

To be fair here Dirt usually only has ONE car on screen at a time except for small races (6?). Having large realistic looking tracks and 20 different cars with all the ai running in the background is a much bigger system load. If you're talking VR for time trial only, that's different.

They obviously want a consistent package across all platforms hence the reason why the PC doesn't have VR. Obviously the consoles wouldn't be able to handle it right now in a full race scenario. 

Having said that I think they have missed a good opportunity to say look here is F1 in VR (time trial only for now) until next gen is up and running. I dont believe for one minute they dont have resources researching VR, if they haven't that's madness given where esports is heading towards.

The time trial would have garnered many more sales, been a great test bed for next gen and showed to the fans that codemasters were thinking ahead. People would have respected that for the remainder of this generation. 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, dfooster said:

The time trial would have garnered many more sales

Absolutely true in fact I believe if they released a time trial only vr version of the game for say 9.99 it would sell like hot cakes. Everyone with a vr headset would want it. Although if it's not in their long term plans for the main game they'd probably be inundated with such requests if /when a TT version was made available and publicized. This would be distracting for sure.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I think its almost time I switched back to my PC from ps4. 

.I understand that consoles for some things are not  powerful enough. 

But iracing and AC both run great on low end pc machines. 

I've tested this thru iracing and through steam with my low quality laptop and my high end gaming pc .and few tweaks and they run fine on both. 

Only 1 game that was a real problem DCS and that almost killed both. 

But I do think tracks should all be laser scanned nowadays. 

I do now theres a handful of specialist companies who have laser scanned all the world's  circuits and then charge others to use their software   ie Formula one teams use this for there simulators  

It could just be a  simple case of money and lots of it.

Edited by senna94f1
My bad spelling again 🙃

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, dfooster said:

I dont believe for one minute they dont have resources researching VR, if they haven't that's madness given where esports is heading towards.

Engine guys have always something to do, especially as we're currently transferring to next-gen consoles!

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, UP100 said:

Engine guys have always something to do, especially as we're currently transferring to next-gen consoles!

yes, but create a new graphics engine because the ego engine is more than 10 years old now. Given the power of the new consoles, the graphics must necessarily be photorealistic and not from Cartoon. Same thing for the physical engine, arcade games were in fashion in the 90s, times have changed and we would all like a simulation (then who wants to play with help, play with help)

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, mikyesposto95 said:

yes, but create a new graphics engine because the ego engine is more than 10 years old now. Given the power of the new consoles, the graphics must necessarily be photorealistic and not from Cartoon. Same thing for the physical engine, arcade games were in fashion in the 90s, times have changed and we would all like a simulation (then who wants to play with help, play with help)

Finally someone who shares my thinking 🙏🙏

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/15/2020 at 3:43 PM, BarryBL said:

Hey @AlexTT, I'm defending that one 😛 

Bump is gone for 2020. 

Will the bump at Montreal be gone too?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TheWalker17 said:

Will the bump at Montreal be gone too?

Can't confirm everything at the moment @TheWalker17, just the Suzuka one I can confirm for now. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, TheWalker17 said:

Will the bump at Montreal be gone too?

Which bump do you refer to?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Falstojudilofa said:

Which bump do you refer to?

At the 100m mark before the final chicane there's a huge bump, and it's not there irl.

You don't even need to try it, just watch an hotlap, slow down the video and you'll see the suspension moving because there's a bump.

I have to say it never bothered me until I raced on the laserscanned version on iRacing, which of course doesn't have it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, BarryBL said:

Can't confirm everything at the moment @TheWalker17, just the Suzuka one I can confirm for now. 

Thanks for the quick reply. Well, better than nothing I suppose :classic_smile:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, TheWalker17 said:

At the 100m mark before the final chicane there's a huge bump, and it's not there irl.

You don't even need to try it, just watch an hotlap, slow down the video and you'll see the suspension moving because there's a bump.

I have to say it never bothered me until I raced on the laserscanned version on iRacing, which of course doesn't have it.

Yeah, I've noticed that bump. But it has never been a problem for me unlike the Suzuka one that has killed me more than once. But seeing the pole video from Vettel 2 years ago, the bump definitely shouldn't be there.

Edited by Falstojudilofa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mikyesposto95 said:

yes, but create a new graphics engine because the ego engine is more than 10 years old now. Given the power of the new consoles, the graphics must necessarily be photorealistic and not from Cartoon. Same thing for the physical engine, arcade games were in fashion in the 90s, times have changed and we would all like a simulation (then who wants to play with help, play with help)

The engine is constantly evolving, there is no reason to create a new one if the current one can be modified. I mean just look at how the visuals evolved from F1 2017 to F1 2018! EGO 3 is also just five years old as of now 🙂

Now that we're moving to a new generation of consoles, the graphics guys will have significantly more that they can now include thanks to the added processing power! DIRT 5 will be running at 1080p120fps or 4k60fps while still looking nice!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×