Lee Mather Responds to Scanned Tracks

Posted (edited)

A lot of people on here talking about scanned tracks. Today there was an interview given by Lee Mather he says they have the scan data for tracks but have decided not to use because of time constraints or in some cases as Codies version of the track is superior

"We do have LIDAR data for other circuits, but to obviously rebuild an entire track from that data again is another year of man-hours to do so. So LIDAR isn’t available for all tracks."

“There’s a lot of people [who] say LIDAR’s the silver bullet and it’s great, it’s amazing. It’s not always the case: The quality varies, the way that it’s captured varies, it’s not always perfect. We’ve certainly had LIDAR data that would have given us tracks that weren’t as good as the ones we have in game.

Also on the subject of VR he says “It’s very difficult to bring a game that runs like Formula 1 with such an intense physics engine and graphics engine to run VR"

Link to Interview https://www.racefans.net/2020/05/15/classic-tracks-livery-editor-vr-your-f1-2020-questions-answered/

Edited by TomAAA
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Thanks for the link, interesting read.
I doubt that we'll be seeing laser scanned tracks in the near future tbh, especially if the tracks would have to be rebuild entirely (could imagine that's a strong cost factor).

On a different note: 

Interesting remarks about crossplay, it's about time that Codies look into this as it could be very promising for future games; even more so given that the new console generations will finally allow games to move forward again regarding tech. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Crossplay is something myself and many of my friends have been hoping for a few years, was hoping it would be in this years game with games like Cod Warzone,Fortnite already doing it. Hopefully will be included with next years new gen game

Edited by TomAAA
  • Like 1

Definitely, I feel like there's a lot of potential for players of all three platforms. I have doubts that F1 2021 will feature crossplay given that many players will still be on PS4/Xbox one and I assume that the game will still be released for those platforms as well. I could see why crossplay might turn out to be an issue for those older consoles due to the fact that there are significant differences regarding performance. But again, the new consoles should be a major improvement in this regard and we might actually see something rather sooner than later.

forget about f1 2021 and dedicate yourself completely to f1 2022 with new cars and new consoles. To create a simulation game and scan all tracks faithfully

• Thanks 1

@mikyesposto95 Codemaster's F1 game is not intended to be taken as a Sim game and I doubt that they will change this approach over the next two years. There are far too many casual F1 fans (myself included) who enjoy being able to drive to the best of their abilities with the limited amount of time/money for hardware they have.

Sure, they are free to change that, but I don't see how well consoles would cope with it (not even mentioning that many of the casual players are likely to drop the game entirely if it is turned into a pure simulation)

• Agree 2

The VR statement is obviously a meaningless excuse that translates to "We don't think it's worth the investment". We probably won't be getting it until PSVR2 or something, because who cares about PC right?

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Schorchi said:

Thanks for the link, interesting read.
I doubt that we'll be seeing laser scanned tracks in the near future tbh, especially if the tracks would have to be rebuild entirely (could imagine that's a strong cost factor).

On a different note: 

Interesting remarks about crossplay, it's about time that Codies look into this as it could be very promising for future games; even more so given that the new console generations will finally allow games to move forward again regarding tech. 

Crossplay is also dependable in sony and microsoft. If the whole infrastructure is to difficult to set up, or safety risks and all, one game will have it, another won't. 

i thought it was something like that. It's not only the developper i beloeve

1 hour ago, TomAAA said:

Crossplay is something myself and many of my friends have been hoping for a few years, was hoping it would be in this years game with games like Cod Warzone,Fortnite already doing it. Hopefully will be included with next years new gen game

Let's hope that we finally get rid of screen tearing, framerate issues, and some decent realistic graphics in stead of cartoon network. The machines shouldn't be the issue anymore for any excuse. Just look at the unreal tech demo running on ps5, that was just jaw dropping! And a ***** slap in the face of microsoft🤣

2 minutes ago, AlexTT said:

Crossplay is also dependable in sony and microsoft.

True, but I believe that both companies have become more open for the possibilities of crossplay (as in CoD). Sure thing, there's probably a lot going on in the background that needs to be sorted before but I think it's a step in the right direction for Codemasters to investigate the option^^

30 minutes ago, Schorchi said:

@ mikyesposto95Il gioco di Codemaster in F1 non è pensato per essere considerato un gioco Sim e dubito che cambieranno questo approccio nei prossimi due anni. Ci sono troppi fan casuali di F1 (me compreso) che amano essere in grado di guidare al meglio delle proprie capacità con la quantità limitata di tempo / denaro per l'hardware che hanno.

Certo, sono liberi di cambiarlo, ma non vedo quanto bene le console potrebbero affrontarlo (nemmeno menzionando il fatto che molti dei giocatori occasionali probabilmente abbandoneranno completamente il gioco se si trasformasse in una pura simulazione)

simulation lovers are still more than casual

1 hour ago, TomAAA said:

A lot of people on here talking about scanned tracks. Today there was an interview given here by Lee Mather he says they have the scan data for tracks but have decided not to use because of time constraints or in some cases as Codies version of the track is superior

"We do have LIDAR data for other circuits, but to obviously rebuild an entire track from that data again is another year of man-hours to do so. So LIDAR isn’t available for all tracks."

“There’s a lot of people [who] say LIDAR’s the silver bullet and it’s great, it’s amazing. It’s not always the case: The quality varies, the way that it’s captured varies, it’s not always perfect. We’ve certainly had LIDAR data that would have given us tracks that weren’t as good as the ones we have in game.

Also on the subject of VR he says “It’s very difficult to bring a game that runs like Formula 1 with such an intense physics engine and graphics engine to run VR"

Link to Interview https://www.racefans.net/2020/05/15/classic-tracks-livery-editor-vr-your-f1-2020-questions-answered/

He means Suzuka! Superior Bump they have yeah. It's more like a Launch platform for cruise missles🤣🤣

if he actually somewhere, anywhere would state that their Suzuka is superior to Lidar, you can be certain that you can't take that guy serious anymore. (Please have said something like that, anywhere, somewhere... PLEAAAASE😇)

23 minutes ago, AlexTT said:

He means Suzuka! Superior Bump they have yeah. It's more like a Launch platform for cruise missles🤣🤣

if he actually somewhere, anywhere would state that their Suzuka is superior to Lidar, you can be certain that you can't take that guy serious anymore. (Please have said something like that, anywhere, somewhere... PLEAAAASE😇)

Hey @AlexTT, I'm defending that one 😛 

Bump is gone for 2020. 

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, BarryBL said:

Bump is gone for 2020. 

Finally! That's music to my ears 😁

It's not just the bus stop at Spa that needs improved... it's all of Spa that needs to be put in the bin and started fresh. 

6 minutes ago, amphobius said:

It's not just the bus stop at Spa that needs improved... it's all of Spa that needs to be put in the bin and started fresh. 

I agree, but it must of taken 6-8 years for the Barcelona chicanes to be corrected, 

I wished that Codemasters for the PC, Playstation and Xbox, had started laser scanning the tracks as soon as they got the licence, then tracks would be less of an issue in 2020.

2 hours ago, TomAAA said:

A lot of people on here talking about scanned tracks. Today there was an interview given by Lee Mather he says they have the scan data for tracks but have decided not to use because of time constraints or in some cases as Codies version of the track is superior

Canada, Monza, Spa definitely need the full on laser scan. 

1 hour ago, BarryBL said:

Bump is gone for 2020. 

Whaaaaat!?!? 😱 are they sick or something to fix it!? Damn I have to call the newspapers and all now! I guess miracles do happen

once in a million year or so... 🤪

seriously, its about time. It shouldn't be in there in the first place. 

Nope, fixed. Confirmed in playtests by myself and we're happy to disclose that. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, TomAAA said:

rebuild an entire track from that data again is another year of man-hours to do so

Never thought that create a new track requires that much of resources. With that being said, now I doubt we'll see updated kerbs at Spain etc, whatsoever. :classic_sad: 

2 hours ago, mikyesposto95 said:

forget about f1 2021 and dedicate yourself completely to f1 2022 with new cars and new consoles. To create a simulation game and scan all tracks faithfully

THIS.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)

I don't think it will happen. Jumping the first year of new gen consoles would be pure marketing suicide.

Companies will release their PS4 game to PS5 just to cover the new market.

The F1 game in that sense is in a good position cause its release date is not close to next gen and 2021 could be out more than 6 months after the new consoles....

Edited by sirio994